Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm a bit mystified by the throttle body sync. I'm following the instructions and using a Twinmax, but I'm not noticing much of a change in the smoothness of the engine. Any thoughts?

e: nevermind, i think i have it figured out.

Did you sync the cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

clutchpuck posted:

Did you sync the cable?

By cable, you mean throttle cables? And if so, no, because the instructions I had led me to believe that if you get Twinmax to read zero while only making minor adjustments to the big brass screws (air flow?), syncing the throttle cable was unnecessary.

My internet hunch is telling me I read the directions wrong. :smith:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MoraleHazard posted:

By cable, you mean throttle cables? And if so, no, because the instructions I had led me to believe that if you get Twinmax to read zero while only making minor adjustments to the big brass screws (air flow?), syncing the throttle cable was unnecessary.

My internet hunch is telling me I read the directions wrong. :smith:

The cable between each TB can stretch. Syncing the brass screws will put them in sync at idle, but as the cable stretches, one will open further than the other when you roll the throttle on and then you're out of balance again.

On the right side, where the throttle cable approaches the throttle body, there's a lock nut and a thumb screw adjuster guy. You loosen the lock nut with a 12mm (IIRC) a few turns so you can freely move the thumb guy as much as you need to.

Then as the bike is running, after you've balanced out the brass screws at idle as close as they'll get, rev the bike up with the throttle grip to a speed you'll normally cruise at. You'll probably see it deviate from center when it's revved. Turn the thumb adjuster until the twinmax needle gets as close to center as you can make it. When my wife does it, I hold the twinmax so she can see it and hold the throttle steady at 3500rpm.

Once you balance with the throttle on, tighten the lock nut - taking care to not move the thumb adjuster - and you're done.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

The cable between each TB can stretch. Syncing the brass screws will put them in sync at idle, but as the cable stretches, one will open further than the other when you roll the throttle on and then you're out of balance again.

On the right side, where the throttle cable approaches the throttle body, there's a lock nut and a thumb screw adjuster guy. You loosen the lock nut with a 12mm (IIRC) a few turns so you can freely move the thumb guy as much as you need to.

Then as the bike is running, after you've balanced out the brass screws at idle as close as they'll get, rev the bike up with the throttle grip to a speed you'll normally cruise at. You'll probably see it deviate from center when it's revved. Turn the thumb adjuster until the twinmax needle gets as close to center as you can make it. When my wife does it, I hold the twinmax so she can see it and hold the throttle steady at 3500rpm.

Once you balance with the throttle on, tighten the lock nut - taking care to not move the thumb adjuster - and you're done.

Ah. ok. When I held it at about 3500 rpm or so, the needle did not move from zero. Still, I'm going to double check for shits and grins. Hooking up a twinmax is pretty easy.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Well, it's about an hour until I'm up in traffic court for my speeding ticket :/

I will undoubtedly lose my licence for at least a month.

I have arranged to buy yet another motorcycle tonight.

It's a DT125 for tearing around some private land so I don't go insane while I'm off the roads

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I've been trying to convince two of my friends to buy small displacement DTs. They're so rad.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Everybody should pick up a small DT. My 175 is a lot of fun.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Ugh, 3 months off the road and £400 (600USD).

Definitely going to need a dirt bike to get me through the summer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
drat, does that put any international travel plans out? :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ReelBigLizard posted:

For a speeding ticket? Were you doing mach 4 in a school zone?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

Did you throw ball bearings at a police officer? What kind of speeding ticket is 400GBP?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

Well, looks like I'll be off the roads for a bit soon, got my first speeding ticket and it was a corker, 64 in a 35 zone (35 is the maximum speed limit anywhere here, in the mainland UK this road would be a 55 easy).

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

drat, does that put any international travel plans out? :(

Nope, I'm travelling in October so I should still be good.

SaNChEzZ posted:

For a speeding ticket? Were you doing mach 4 in a school zone?

MoraleHazard posted:

Did you throw ball bearings at a police officer? What kind of speeding ticket is 400GBP?

I got one of the grumpier judges, unfortunately.

There was two guys ahead of me in the queue who did 59 and 63 in a mini and a BMW S1000RR respectively. The guy in the mini got 2 months and £300, the guy on the BMW got £300 and 10 weeks because he needs to drive for his job. My bike wasn't displaying correct tags (my KTM sheds them as part of it's Ready to Race philosophy) which added £100 to my fine near as I can guess.

My friend was in court today too, and she got by far the worse deal. She got pulled over for stopping to pick someone up on a road that is ambiguously signposted as to whether you can or not. It was just a caution, but she didn't have her insurance cert in the car. When she went to take her certificate into the Police station she found out that her insurance had lapsed a few days earlier. She's just moved here and her post hasn't caught up with her. She went to the station, handed it over and they just scanned it, handed it back and went to sign her ticket off. Being painfully honest she stopped the officer and pointed to the date. At which point it was made into A Thing, and she had to be interviewed etc.

The minimum punishment for driving without insurance is £200 and 12 months off the roads. Which is what the judge had to give her, even though he conceded that it was an honest mistake and she had been entirely upfront about it.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Holy poo poo that's harsh. Where are you located so that I know to take driving there far more serious should I ever visit?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

rotaryfun posted:

...should I ever visit?

I think you're safe on that front - unless you are incontinently rich and need to store your assets somewhere tax-free

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Isn't driving without insurance a compulsory re-test as well?

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isn't driving without insurance a compulsory re-test as well?

It depends. Is your second name Barclay?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just got wind that Rob, a good friend of mine for 20 years just got really hosed up. I actually bought my old CB900F SS that I had for a short while from him.

I have no idea what happened at this point but I do know he's in intensive care in Kelowna with a broken skull, broken back in 3 places, broken ribs, arms, legs, damaged eye, bruised brain, on and on. Good news is he is responsive and he can feel/move his extremities.

He would be in his late 40s or even early 50s and has tons of riding experience. Very safe rider and always geared up and knows how to ride. I think he rode a BMW ST of some sort.

Hang in there buddy :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I hope he comes through it ok. :ohdear:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Latest NHTSA findings - http://rideapart.com/2013/05/what-the-latest-nhtsa-fatality-statistics-reveal-about-motorcycle-safety/

TLDR: Don't drink and ride you dumbasses. Also wear a helmet. Some highlights below.

quote:

4,612 motorcyclists died that year (2011) in the U.S.

2,449 (49%) of all fatal motorcycle crashes were the result of a bike colliding with another vehicle. Only 6% of deaths in 2011 were due to a bike being hit from behind.

More than 42% (1,998) of motorcyclists in 2011 were killed in two vehicle accident and 38% (757) of these were the result of another vehicle turning left in front of the motorcycle that was either going straight, passing or overtaking another vehicle.

22% of riders involved in fatal crashes in 2011 did not have a valid motorcycle license

...killed on the roads in the U.S. 40% were not wearing a helmet

...of the 4,323 motorcyclists killed in 2011, 33% (1426) of the riders were under the influence of alcohol

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

quote:

Riders of bikes with 501-1000cc engines accounted for 39% of all 2011 fatalities and also represented the highest increase of overall fatalities (25%) from when NHTSA first started recording this information in 2002.

Anyone know what percent of motorcycles in the US are in that cc range? I feel like that should be biggest group.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Deeters posted:

Anyone know what percent of motorcycles in the US are in that cc range? I feel like that should be biggest group.

I haven't tried wading through the official NHTSA document but most of what he pulled out for that article are definitely raw numbers and only sorta informative.

Florida, Texas, and California had the highest numbers of deaths... but they also have very long riding seasons, leading to more people riding more often. That 40+ year olds are the biggest fatality group is also no surprise, as that age group is almost definitely the biggest group of riders. The 501-1000cc group is, also as we know, huge in the US, if not the biggest group, so of course those bikes are heavily represented.

I'd be more interested in rates than raw numbers... 40+ year olds were 75% of deaths but what percent of riders? How many fatalities in CA vs. how many bikes registered in CA (or riders licensed in CA)? And so on.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Deeters posted:

The whole article is a number salad with 0 context but I didn't want to poo poo on it immediately. Knowing that X percent of fatalities occur with riders over 45 is useless without additional info - What percentage of riders are over 45? ..for a start.

The article also seemed to only have car stats cited in that pdf so I need to hunt down the motorcycle stats.

ed: Also curious what they deem as "under the influence" cause I'll have a drink or two somewhere and ride home later, I wonder if that counts or if it's .08.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 30, 2013

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I wasn't trying to poo poo on it either, that just seemed like one of the "well, duh" points of it. I suppose the average person picking up this report wouldn't want all the numbers though.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

nsaP posted:

The whole article is a number salad with 0 context but I didn't want to poo poo on it immediately. Knowing that X percent of fatalities occur with riders over 45 is useless without additional info - What percentage of riders are over 45? ..for a start.

The article also seemed to only have car stats cited in that pdf so I need to hunt down the motorcycle stats.

ed: Also curious what they deem as "under the influence" cause I'll have a drink or two somewhere and ride home later, I wonder if that counts or if it's .08.

I think any alcohol in your system counts when they count "alcohol related" deaths. At least IIRC it's that way with cars, doubt it's different with motorcycles. Impairment starts way below .08 anyway, though having a head cold or something would probably impair your ability to ride or drive more than a couple beers would.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So one in five riders didn't have insurance, 40% didn't have a helmet, and 40% were intoxicated in some way. I don't know whether I should take comfort in this or be afraid that 60% were sober, wearing a helmet, and 80% were licensed. :tinfoil:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I think any alcohol in your system counts when they count "alcohol related" deaths. At least IIRC it's that way with cars, doubt it's different with motorcycles. Impairment starts way below .08 anyway, though having a head cold or something would probably impair your ability to ride or drive more than a couple beers would.

I've had the head cold worse recently. Had to clean my visor on the inside.

Achoo.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

nsaP posted:

I've had the head cold worse recently. Had to clean my visor on the inside.

Achoo.

Gah. My personal hell is warm weather, ironically. The wind dries out my contacts, and my eyes are dry already from allergies. Ever try to blink a contact into place while going 70mph down the freeway? It's not a great experience.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tried a Honda NC700S today. They had the NC700X as well, but it didn't have the auto box which was what I wanted to try. It was a pretty nice ride.

There are a few jerks when the gearbox changes itself which is an unusual sensation when it happens mid-roundabout, but it did not upset anything at all, even the first one. It's quite subtle. On the motorway following traffic and over some hills, it changed between 5th and 6th quite often, lugging 6th to some extent (this would probably go away by switching to Sport), which caused the vibrations (parallel twin lawnmower kind) to change quite often, which was a bit annoying. The quick solution is just to tap it into manual mode and leave it in 5th, worked very well.

Suspension was very nice for a budget model, didn't mind bumps mid corner at all. Storage space in the tank was excellent, fit my helmet just fine.

Without a clutch to modulate, the throttle needs to have good feeling. I found it to be perfect. It's a cable so you feel when you pull it taught and can give just that tiny bit of tension to ease forward when in a queue or something.

Fuel consumption is apparently amazing. Dealer said a guy who bought one for a 60-80 kph commute regularly got 3.3 L/km or 71 US MPG. Low down torque is nice, but the obviously unticked box on this bike is top end power. While you could tour two up on it and do great on the slow twisties of western Norway, long days on the Autobahn would be very different. It's annoying to ride on it I think, because everyone is at different speeds - I might think 130 kph is nice, then I get behind someone doing 110...but to pass them I need to get up to 150 to merge safely into the outer lane. Those constant lane changes and speed changes would just be impractical. You'd have to be content with much fewer lane changes or perhaps just appreciate the incentive and go on the smaller roads. The savings in fuel would be considerable.

Then price. It's cheap, but with the auto box it's not too far from a baseline Tiger 800. Which is a very different beast indeed.

Conclusion: I don't think I'll buy one, but I am fully sold on the dual clutch gearbox.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Ola posted:

Tried a Honda NC700S today. They had the NC700X as well, but it didn't have the auto box which was what I wanted to try. It was a pretty nice ride.

Conclusion: I don't think I'll buy one, but I am fully sold on the dual clutch gearbox.

When I was learning, my motorcycle instructor was using one of these. I didn't even realise it was an auto for weeks, but anyway, he seemed to rate it - I'll always prefer manual vehicles over automatics but I can definitely see the appeal when you're riding about town for 7 hours a day.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was running late for the ferry and, as such, riding like a bat out of hell. Passed a tow truck when the road opened up to four lanes. Got pulled over just as I passed him. Honestly had no idea how fast I was going.
The cop was really nice and we chatted about how I was riding like an rear end for a bit. He said I was going almost triple the 25 limit when I passed the truck. When he came back from his car he said "Okay, the last bike I turned my lights on for ran, and you pulled over immediately. You were also polite and seem like the kind of guy to take a warning seriously, and that ticket would've been huge. And, I have to say, Mad Men is my favorite TV show. I can't give Mr. Draper a ticket."
I went from :stare: to :haw: pretty quick.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
About to break 1,000 miles on the Versys. Question about chain maintenance, though: is it lube every 300 miles, clean/lube every 600? I did the clean and lube about three weeks ago.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah you should clean it every other lube if you're using sticky lube as it will attract grit and eventually destroy the orings if you let it.

Using gear oil as lube is my preferred way because the chains never require cleaning, which I hate doing. It's also probably the recommended way to lube it in the manual. If you get good at running a bead of it down just the o-rings, throwoff is minimal.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Xovaan posted:

So one in five riders didn't have insurance, 40% didn't have a helmet, and 40% were intoxicated in some way. I don't know whether I should take comfort in this or be afraid that 60% were sober, wearing a helmet, and 80% were licensed. :tinfoil:

Take comfort that of those it's likely a much smaller % of them that had formal training, and much smaller % even yet that had advanced training, and much smaller % yet where they were not partially at fault in the accident due to distraction or aggression.

Gear up, train up, smarten up. This is all you can do, and worrying about it instead of just being aware/responsible about it is just torturing yourself.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rode to work for the first time since I did the valves and tb sync and, wow, it is much smoother and has more power. The difference is noticeable.

Also, I took off the Wunderlich half fairing so have the bike in its naked glory and it makes a big difference with airflow, especially now that the weather has warmed up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Shiver update #umpty-billion - they've located the problems.

The air temperature sensor was dumping random spikes of voltage into the can-bus. Replacement part cost £40 and the bike runs.

They've also located the problem with the clutch - a little bit of swarf, possibly left over from the manufacturing, was tearing up the seal. they've cleaned the mating surfaces and are just waiting for the replacement seals (for some reason Aprilia can ship an air sensor overnight but two bits of rubber have stumped them).

Also the oil weeping from the back cylinder was actually just road poo poo thrown at it by the un-huggered rear wheel, then baked in place by the catalytic converter.

Still don't know the final price yet - he suggested we "have a talk" about it which suggests that there might be a fairly decent cash discount available. Or possibly he wants to make sure I'm sitting down when he tells me.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'd bank heavily on the latter when involving a dealer.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Since it's warmed up and people are driving with their windows down I've been having some very hard-to-suppress urges. Mainly when I see a car swerving and driving erratically, and when I pull up along side of them at a light and see a phone in front of their big dumb face. So tempted to grab it out of their hands and chuck it in a bush before running off. Maybe I'll get the gopro going and get a million views on youtube.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JP Money posted:

I'd bank heavily on the latter when involving a dealer.

Non-dealer. I trust these guys because they've had two opportunities to gently caress me over now and never did (unless they were just pulling me in on the long con...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

Since it's warmed up and people are driving with their windows down I've been having some very hard-to-suppress urges. Mainly when I see a car swerving and driving erratically, and when I pull up along side of them at a light and see a phone in front of their big dumb face. So tempted to grab it out of their hands and chuck it in a bush before running off. Maybe I'll get the gopro going and get a million views on youtube.

I actually saw a guy do that years ago, except it was the Thames he threw it into. I've always wished I had the balls to do it.