Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Sir Lucius posted:

and sending morose code and what not.

Morose code...the most melancholy of all our codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Godholio posted:

Can you even major in military science? I thought it was only a minor.

Hell, I don't know. All I know is if I earned one I wouldn't be putting it on my resume.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Honestly, I can't recommend being an imagery analyst enough. Really easy job. A lot of job opportunities when you get out. Really chill.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Snip

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 16, 2015

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Godholio posted:

Can you even major in military science? I thought it was only a minor.

I know a guy at the University of South Carolina who's majoring in Military Science (according to his facebook page), so apparently it's a full-on degree program at some schools. It's beyond me why you would major in something that is, per my experience, 1 part stuff from field manuals to 9 parts "how to write a powerpoint"/"sexual assault prevention"/"time management" and that sort of bullshit (at least that's what the military science classes at my school cover)

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Sasgrillo posted:

And for someone looking to build up a resume and gain decent intel experience, which would have more to offer, between the AF and Navy that is.
They both do the same exact poo poo pretty much. If you cant get into the airforce just go with Navy. Though it might be easier to get the job you want and advance in the Navy.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Also, no DCGS units. Ugh...

EDIT: In the Navy, that is.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sasgrillo posted:

This is the #1 AFSC on my "jobs list" that I'll be talking to my recruiter about whenever I get to actually meet him. Although reading around I heard that if you fail the DP test at MEPS you are automatically disqualified. Which sounds lovely especially considering the number of people who said the test is poorly administered. Is there any truth to that?

Assuming DP=depth perception, I failed it at MEPS for a flying position. As long as I passed it at my actual flight physical I was fine (I did, and yes the MEPS version is worse because you're stressed out and feeling rushed etc, even though there's no need to do so...calm down, it's not hard).

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Also it is never the ones on the far end of your sight, those can't be the ones to pick because they're what's giving you context for depth perception, so don't be a moron and even if you dont have DP you have a 50/50 chance of passing the test.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

Sasgrillo posted:

This is the #1 AFSC on my "jobs list" that I'll be talking to my recruiter about whenever I get to actually meet him. Although reading around I heard that if you fail the DP test at MEPS you are automatically disqualified. Which sounds lovely especially considering the number of people who said the test is poorly administered. Is there any truth to that?

I failed the poo poo out of the DP test at MEPs and was worried about it but nothing ever came of it. I don't know if that's something specific to certain jobs or if people were insinuating that failing it was a disqualification in general. I can't vouch for whether or not it's administered badly, because I fail all my DP tests.

I do know that if you can't pop your ears you're immediately disqualified from having a linguist job in the AF, though.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

piL posted:

I got a call last week saying that I was picked for SWO and that I'll be going to OCS sometime in Summer/early-Autumn. I'm excited and terrified.

Posted Mar 10, 2013. While my recruiter has said I was accepted and that I have a job, and that's almost the last I've heard about it. In late April I was told that my enlisted contract* was gone and that I was simply waiting for an "officer contract". Well, now it's June, and people at work ask me at least twice a week if I know when I'll be gone yet. I keep having to say, "no clue". Is there any way to find anything out about what's going on other than pestering my Officer Recruiter? Am I an rear end in a top hat if I call him Monday and say, "Hey there Chief, just thought I'd say hi because it's June"?

I had decided to try and enlist while putting in an OCS package in case I didn't get the OCS package because I had absolutely zero concept at all what the likelihood of my getting a commission was and the idea that I'd probably be haunted by the idea of having missed my chance to serve for the rest of my life if I didn't have a back-up plan to OCS.

Right now if I had to start over again, I feel like I'd hit every office in the strip mall and say, "I'll take whichever one of you guys can give me an actual OCS ship date."

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

piL posted:

Posted Mar 10, 2013. While my recruiter has said I was accepted and that I have a job, and that's almost the last I've heard about it. In late April I was told that my enlisted contract* was gone and that I was simply waiting for an "officer contract". Well, now it's June, and people at work ask me at least twice a week if I know when I'll be gone yet. I keep having to say, "no clue". Is there any way to find anything out about what's going on other than pestering my Officer Recruiter? Am I an rear end in a top hat if I call him Monday and say, "Hey there Chief, just thought I'd say hi because it's June"?

I had decided to try and enlist while putting in an OCS package in case I didn't get the OCS package because I had absolutely zero concept at all what the likelihood of my getting a commission was and the idea that I'd probably be haunted by the idea of having missed my chance to serve for the rest of my life if I didn't have a back-up plan to OCS.

Right now if I had to start over again, I feel like I'd hit every office in the strip mall and say, "I'll take whichever one of you guys can give me an actual OCS ship date."

Welcome to how everything works in the military. You find out you made the cut for something (anything from OCS to Air Assault to the school for the guys who look at your dick while you take a urinalysis) and then hear absolutely nothing until a week prior when they ABSOLUTELY NEED YOU TO DROP EVERYTHING AND GO NOW. This is your introduction to the world's largest bureaucracy. We put the Soviet politburo to shame.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I went to a recruiter who would say he'd call me back and I'd hear nothing for weeks and then after about 4 months of that I went to a different office and they sent me up to MEPS within a week. Some people are just lazy and you have to constantly ride their rear end to get anything done.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bogarts posted:

Some people are just lazy and you have to constantly ride their rear end to get anything done.
Welcome to the military.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Some days I wonder how hilarious it would be if there were a program where dudes that want to get in can swap with dudes that are in for a couple months, maybe a year. It would be an interesting show.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

piL posted:

OCS Dates

Just wait. I get accepted to OCS back in December, thought I was leaving in January, was told "We don't have any money" and just got my ship date three weeks ago.

Then the other day I got an e-mail saying, "Hey, they moved your date from July to August. Have fun!"

Keep in contact with your recruiter/the OCS person. Especially the OCS guy if you can get him/her to speak with you about what's going on.

The Valley Stared fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 2, 2013

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
RF Trans in Korea has been the best job I've ever had in my life. I extended here for 2 more years to finish out my contract because I dig it so much.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Valley Stared posted:

Just wait. I get accepted to OCS back in December, thought I was leaving in January, was told "We don't have any money" and just got my ship date three weeks ago.

Then the other day I got an e-mail saying, "Hey, they moved your date from July to August. Have fun!"

Keep in contact with your recruiter/the OCS person. Especially the OCS guy if you can get him/her to speak with you about what's going on.

I waited about 5 months to hear the verdict and had less than 3 weeks' warning before my report date.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Edit

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 16, 2015

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'll leave the first question to, well, people who would actually know the answer (although I think it's slim), but as to the second question: If you are joining by a choice whose options include "don't join", then there is only one reason you would join as enlisted. If you are looking for a civilian career that requires a certain skillset, such as liguist, signals, CYBER CYBER CYBER whatever, and / or you need a TS (or higher) clearance, that would be the only reason you would enlist over commissioning. If your plan is to do your 3, bounce out straight into a defense contractors open arms, then yes you would CONSIDER going enlisted.

Otherwise, if you have almost any other reason, then the answer is "gently caress no".

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Yeah I'm only asking to see if it's really worthwhile. What you said towards the end has been my gameplan from the get-go, enlist for four years to get the clearances and experience that I need. And even if none of that pans out exactly the GI Bill would still be a great consolation prize/hedge.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

Sasgrillo posted:

Yeah I'm only asking to see if it's really worthwhile. What you said towards the end has been my gameplan from the get-go, enlist for four years to get the clearances and experience that I need. And even if none of that pans out exactly the GI Bill would still be a great consolation prize/hedge.

Your GPA is respectable. Better than mine was, at any rate.

You say your LoRs aren't that great-why is that? If its for professors or something that isn't bad.

If you're a well rounded mohterfucker, just apply. You can get a GI Bill as an officer too.

If you're smart enough to not completely gently caress away a college education, and aren't going to starve in the street in the next year, don't enlist, commission.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

not caring here posted:

If your plan is to do your 3, bounce out straight into a defense contractors open arms, then yes you would CONSIDER going enlisted.

This is what I did/am doing. I have a worthless English degree with a 3.0 GPA, so commissioning was out of the question, so I am going for contracting. The AF pays you $4500 over your career to get certified in various things. Right now I'm working on my CCNA certification and when I'm done with that, I'll be working on my satellite certification. Not to mention the $4000 in tuition assistance to help me get an Engineering degree and erase the mistakes of my confused past.

Get a cake job, use and abuse everything they offer you, then get out and make bank with a 6 figure contracting job in a foreign country.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
From what I've been told, you could have a degree in underwater basket weaving and get a commission.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

In 2003

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, those days are gone. I commissioned with a poo poo GPA (below 3.0) in psychology. Got selected by my first board to OTS. A recruiter wouldn't even look at me in the current climate. That's not to say a non-technical degree is a disqualifier, but expect to compete against people with engineering and aeronautics degrees with near-4.0s.

Oneday for Life posted:

Get a cake job, use and abuse everything they offer you, then get out and make bank with a 6 figure contracting job in a foreign country.

Good luck with this too. Overseas contracting jobs were easy to find when we were fighting two wars. It's gonna be a lot tighter in the next couple of years. Hell, it already is. That said, get a cake job, use and abuse everything they offer you, then get out and make bank with all the poo poo you wrangled from the system.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!

Godholio posted:

Overseas contracting jobs were easy to find when we were fighting two wars. It's gonna be a lot tighter in the next couple of years. Hell, it already is.

This is true and I should have disclaimered that I am aiming for a very specific job here in Korea that won't be going away any time soon, as long as North Korea still exists. I know a guy who works it and he tells me they are always critically undermanned and they pay him an extra $2k a month just to live in a certain area. Lucky me, I'm in the same career field, am getting the same certs, and happen to love Korea. I imagine other countries/bases/forts/whatever are not in such dire needs, but that doesn't mean you can't get a high paying job with some telecom or engineering firm.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Thanks Godholio! I've heard that I should have to do a PT test a month before I go, and that hasn't happened yet so it's been my reasoning that at this point I'm always going to be at least a month out. On further reflection, I don't really know enough to be certain that that actually has to happen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

piL posted:

Thanks Godholio! I've heard that I should have to do a PT test a month before I go, and that hasn't happened yet so it's been my reasoning that at this point I'm always going to be at least a month out. On further reflection, I don't really know enough to be certain that that actually has to happen.

My recruiter never made me do a PT test prior to leaving. I've never heard of that being a requirement. You should be working on your own poo poo, though.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
It SHOULD be a requirement. I remember the incredible amounts of people who couldn't even make the initial 1.5 mile run at all. They literally would just stop running about halfway through and walk to the end.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, if you can't run 1.5-2 miles without stopping before BCT or whatever equivalent. Just don't do that.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, if you can't run 1.5-2 miles without stopping before BCT or whatever equivalent. Just don't do that.

For what it's worth I could barely do a mile in 9 minutes when I got to BCT and at the end I was doing a mid-13 two miler..

But I blame my first couple of lovely runs on this.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If you can do the distance at a mediocre pace you'll probably be fine. But if you can't run the distance nonstop, it's another matter.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

PT test was a requirement for me for the Navy but 90% of the people in boot camp didn't and they just made up the numbers.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

PT test was a requirement for me for the Navy but 90% of the people in boot camp didn't and they just made up the numbers.

"No one fails *wink wink*"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not saying you should lie but

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
"Honor, Courage, Commitment!"

"make up pt numbers or so help me god"
"here's test answers, btw were the only division that does this cause were awesome rdcs HOOYAH"
"oh heres a guy to tell you everything you need to do at battlestations verbatim"

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Megabuttes posted:

"Honor, Courage, Commitment!"

"make up pt numbers or so help me god"
"here's test answers, btw were the only division that does this cause were awesome rdcs HOOYAH"
"oh heres a guy to tell you everything you need to do at battlestations verbatim"

Continuing into A-school:

"You'll likely get one of these two versions of the exam, I'm not saying these are the answers but I think you should only read...."

Fleet:

"Well I certainly didn't find this from x shop/clinic...."

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
One of my friends is considering joining the military and is leaning towards the navy because evidently the recruiter said that "The Navy needs to be near a port, so you won't get stationed in the middle of Alabama like you would in the Army, the worst place you could possibly end up is Rhode Island, and you're likely to end up in San DIego." Our school (it was an OCS recruiter) is in the middle of a big, interesting city so I guess he was trying to convince him he wouldn't get put in Bumfuck nowhere. Is this actually true? I told him it sounds like a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It is absolutely false. There is a large Navy detachment (multiple squadrons) at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City, for example.

Edit: I assume that most of the Navy is near the coasts, but there's plenty of stupidity to go around.

• Locked thread