Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If I were purchasing an entertainment device, I would definitely go with an iPad over a MacBook Air. I own both.

Froist posted:

Seconded. I've got both too, and find myself using my Air less and less these days in favour of the iPad (Mini). My Air's a couple of years old now, but it tends to get hot and fire the fans up the moment anything resembling a game is on screen.
Interesting... I guess I just don't like a lot of games on the iPad and the Macbook (using OSX or Windows) seems to have a lot more stuff that I think I would enjoy more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

retro sexual posted:

4,49 € - Warhammer Quest

Top In-App Purchases
2,69 € - Dwarf Trollslayer
2,69 € - Archmage
2,69 € - Warrior Priest
4,49 € - The Hidden Threat

So I held off on buying this last night as the appstore UI on an ipad just said 'this app has IAP' without spelling out what they were. Now on a PC I can see what I presume is 3 extra characters and maybe an expansion (or adding a monster type- someone mentioned skaven?).

Yup. You get 4 characters in the base game, and you can buy three other types and take any four into battle. The Hidden Threat is an extra campaign featuring Skaven. I've heard muttering that the base game has about 15 hours of content, and it's about 25 hours in total with the expansion. But, Internet rumours, so that that with the usual mountain of salt.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

chanza posted:

So far I'm really enjoying Warhammer Quest. The rotate-for-inventory is nonsense though, and I only found it accidentally. If you're going to hide away a key feature of the game, at least show tutorial popups or something the first time you find an item.
It does - in the tutorial mission my guy found a two handed sword and it made me go to the inventory to equip it.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Wait, if I'm reading IGN correctly here, then Star Wars KOTOR hits ipad ....this week?

Swooons

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Vinlaen posted:

Interesting... I guess I just don't like a lot of games on the iPad and the Macbook (using OSX or Windows) seems to have a lot more stuff that I think I would enjoy more.

A computer is hands down a better gaming machine, but the iPad is definitely better a mobile entertainment/gaming device. I love my MacBook and all, but if I'm sitting down on the couch or in bed to play a game, I always reach for my iPad. At least for me, it's just much more convenient and comfortable than even a small laptop. Definitely a pretty subjective thing, though.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

chanza posted:

So far I'm really enjoying Warhammer Quest. The rotate-for-inventory is nonsense though, and I only found it accidentally. If you're going to hide away a key feature of the game, at least show tutorial popups or something the first time you find an item. The amount of IAP is a bit distasteful, but hey, Games Workshop :shrug:

I also picked up Merchant to the Stars. It's really compulsive. I loaded it up and an hour just disappeared.

It is in the tutorial.

FreakyZoid posted:

Since you keep saying this - Hero Quest was the result of a license with MB games (it was made by one of MB's designers) and wasn't just released in the states. 6 years later when the contract with MB ran out (and also post-Advanced Hero Quest) GW did their own remake of it as Warhammer Quest. So HQ isn't really a bastardized version, it's the grandaddy of WQ.

/nerd knowledge

Huh, we'll I stand corrected. I had always been told previously that hero quest was GW bringing Warhammer Quest out of the UK and was the lovely version.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Samara posted:

Wait, if I'm reading IGN correctly here, then Star Wars KOTOR hits ipad ....this week?

Swooons

Yeah, I just read the review there. Talk about a stealth release. Any idea when it will actually hit?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ipad-review

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Vinlaen posted:

Paradoxish posted:

A computer is hands down a better gaming machine, but the iPad is definitely better a mobile entertainment/gaming device. I love my MacBook and all, but if I'm sitting down on the couch or in bed to play a game, I always reach for my iPad. At least for me, it's just much more convenient and comfortable than even a small laptop. Definitely a pretty subjective thing, though.

Yeah, it's definitely a comfort over games library decision for me. There are times when I want to play "deeper" games, but I'll go to my desk and play on my PC. When I'm on the sofa/in bed it's more of a casual thing that I'll dip in and out of while watching TV. I guess I'm just getting older, that this type of interaction is far more common these days. I only really use my Air for coding and photo organising now, pretty much everything else that I used to use the laptop for can be done on the iPad.

chanza
Apr 25, 2010

FreakyZoid posted:

It does - in the tutorial mission my guy found a two handed sword and it made me go to the inventory to equip it.

Really? I ran through the tutorial and I'm sure it didn't tell me. I must have skipped the dialogue.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Kepa posted:

Might do a Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing thing later. If the next game is successful we're planning on churning out shitloads of action-adventure games. I've wanted to take a stab at a Harvest Moon style game for awhile now, and it would fit into this plan well.

That would be fantastic, I hope you'll be able to do it! I think the first thing I looked for when I got an iPhone was a Harvest Moon a-like, and Animal Crossing is something I think would translate well to phones. Combing the two, and being able to check it frequently would be so so good.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Give Pat a Job posted:

Yeah, I just read the review there. Talk about a stealth release. Any idea when it will actually hit?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ipad-review

Pocket Tactics, quoting IGN, said 5PM today in the US. I also love that the IGN score is 8.8. Let that sink in for a moment. Glorious bastards.

Also Kepa, if you make a competent Harvest Moon and/or Animal Crossing clone then son you better put in a donate button of some kind because I will throw a lot of money at you.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 30, 2013

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Looking for Tower Defense games that are really really good, I'm trying Castleminer at the moment which appears simplistic on the surface but gets a bit more complex. While I await Kingdom Rush 2 and Anomaly 2 on IOS that is :(

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ah gently caress, the text speed in Phoenix Wright is still that horrible crawl? Why the hell don't they include an option to disable that poo poo, everyone I know who plays this game hates the text speed. I really want to play it again in HD but I just... I really, really can't face Moe again without skippable text. Not again. Never again.

Maybe I can get someone to iFunbox me a completed save file or something later. :smith:

e. Seriously gently caress Moe.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 30, 2013

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Corridor posted:

Ah gently caress, the text speed in Phoenix Wright is still that horrible crawl? Why the hell don't they include an option to disable that poo poo, everyone I know who plays this game hates the text speed. I really want to play it again in HD but I just... I really, really can't face Moe again without skippable text. Not again. Never again.

Maybe I can get someone to iFunbox me a completed save file or something later. :smith:
Yeah, no text speed option from the start, no widescreen support for iPhone/iPod, and the iPad version has black bars all around the screen. Wonderful.

What a disappointment since I did want to support the game. Well, at least it saved me 17 bucks.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Feel my tiny rage, developers! Requiring ios6 for no good reason! :argh:

My poor ipad is stuck on 5.1.1 until we can retire support for 5. So now I have to borrow coworkers' ipads to play Warhammer. (PS You're throwing away 5% of your user base OR MORE!)

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

They really need to fix the extra spawning in Warhammer. My ranged dudes are still level 1 beacuse the game decided to surround them in dudes that all instantly get to attack them near the end of a dungeon. There's no way to predict or prepare for it and you can even get extra enemies when fighting an encounter in a room.

At the very least let the dudes who died get half xp.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Corridor posted:

You can choose to start from any point in any case in any game you own (to an extent), so you could just skip that case entirely if you liked.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Corridor posted:

e. Seriously gently caress Moe.

gently caress Moe.

The first game is a 5 star all-time classic. Game two in the series is a solid 3 star. It lost marks for three reasons: the translation while still good had a ton of typos, the new music wasn't quite as good, and loving Moe.

I put off playing game three for a long time because of that clown.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

gently caress Moe.

The first game is a 5 star all-time classic. Game two in the series is a solid 3 star. It lost marks for three reasons: the translation while still good had a ton of typos, the new music wasn't quite as good, and loving Moe.

I put off playing game three for a long time because of that clown.

I might be alone in saying this but you need to get on 3 if you haven't already.
Personally that was my favourite for music. The cross examination tune was vaguely eerie and set the tone pretty well since it's the only one in the first three games to have a major running plotline behind all the cases (other than just character development, I mean).
Also it has a hell of a climax to the last case (even bringing back the 'Cornered' music from the first game).
Also comparable in length to the first game (maybe longer, I'm not sure since I remember both their last cases being really freakin long).

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Justice for All sucks. The only good episode is the last one. The only reason why I trudged right through JFA is for continuity purposes for Trials and Tribulations (which is the best in the AA series).

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

So, here's how to fast forward through text in Phoenix Wright HD, doesn't matter if you've read it or not: hold your thumb down over where the little play button appears, the one that advances text normally. Looks like it's more like a text skip function, but there you go. Still doesn't make up for the black borders and such, I guess. I don't think I'll mind playing through it again this way.

(EDIT) I guess I probably should've read the app description, since I didn't realize that was even a thing until someone posted about it in the thread. I figured it out by just trying stuff until something worked, I'll admit.

Jack Van Burace fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 30, 2013

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

DrManiac posted:

They really need to fix the extra spawning in Warhammer. My ranged dudes are still level 1 beacuse the game decided to surround them in dudes that all instantly get to attack them near the end of a dungeon. There's no way to predict or prepare for it and you can even get extra enemies when fighting an encounter in a room.

Which as I recall is exactly how the tabletop version went. If you rolled a 1 on the winds of power die (aka the screw you die), you got boned by having no magic power and a random encounter as well.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kepa posted:

Might do a Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing thing later. If the next game is successful we're planning on churning out shitloads of action-adventure games. I've wanted to take a stab at a Harvest Moon style game for awhile now, and it would fit into this plan well.

If you made a really great Animal Crossing-like game, I might wear through the digitizer.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Looks like SW: KOTOR just hit.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id611436052?mt=8

$10 Buying now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

syndex posted:

$10 Buying now.

I suppose I should have expected it to be iPad only...but my iPhone-owing-self was quite disappointed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

syndex posted:

$10 Buying now.
Almost 2GB huh? I'm sure glad I grabbed the 64GB iPad for this generation.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

quote:

Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™, widely considered one of the greatest role-playing games of all time, comes to iPad!

Not sure about their use of "widely" here.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

FlashBangBob posted:

Yeah, just should say "considered one of the greatest role-playing games of all time"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

FlashBangBob posted:

Well, "unanimously" would have been a bit hyperbolic.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

FlashBangBob posted:

It should say "definitively"

This is gonna make that flight to Europe so much easier!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

FlashBangBob posted:

It's a Star Wars game from the era where Bioware was still loved by 99% of people. I think they are correct in saying that. I don't think I've ever seen a bad review for it either.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
If someone grabs this, please share how annoying the movement controls are? That IGN review was pretty glowing aside from that. I've had KOTOR sitting on Steam for years, and I might actually play it on my iPad.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

DrManiac posted:

There's nothing to really 'fix', that's just the gameplay. Maybe it's just me but there doesn't really seem to be much strategy to the game.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Davincie posted:

It's a Star Wars game from the era where *Bioware still made good RPGs. I think they are correct in saying that. I don't think I've ever seen a bad review for it either.

Had to fix that a bit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

2 gigs welp gonna have to wait until I get off work to download it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
All of y'all hatin' on Phoenix Wright are straight up wrong, objectively. They are The Best games. There is nothing wrong with them.

If you cry like a babby because the text is slow or some clown laughs at you or a large French man wears a pink tutu and challenges your concept of masculinity then I don't know what to say. The fault is yours and yours alone.

Play Ace Attorney. Love it. Find a new joy in life. Or don't and be a terrible human being.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Man, whole lotta stuff just dumping on the store: KOTOR, Phoenix Wright, Warhammer Quest...

...and Magicka???

It seems like a Battlehearts game with Magicka's spellcasting system and a very cartoony look.

e: nevermind, it's been out, but it's currently freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Duranki posted:

If someone grabs this, please share how annoying the movement controls are? That IGN review was pretty glowing aside from that. I've had KOTOR sitting on Steam for years, and I might actually play it on my iPad.

Make sure if you a playing for the first time that you pick the soldier class. I was bitching about this in another thread, but the other classes are completely useless. Other team members can do the out of combat stuff, so if your main character sucks at combat then you lose quest and each battle is a long boring drag. Also try not to level up too much on the first planet, that will also gimp your character.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Bummey posted:

All of y'all hatin' on Phoenix Wright are straight up wrong, objectively. They are The Best games. There is nothing wrong with them.

If you cry like a babby because the text is slow or some clown laughs at you or a large French man wears a pink tutu and challenges your concept of masculinity then I don't know what to say. The fault is yours and yours alone.

Play Ace Attorney. Love it. Find a new joy in life. Or don't and be a terrible human being.

The text speed is the only reasonable complaint ever.

So is KOTOR out?

Also dead ahead is incredible fun, even if some of the challenges feel wonky. 100 goddamn killstreak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SpookyLizard posted:

So is KOTOR out?
Why don't you read up like... 10 posts. Same drat page.

• Locked thread