Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Ayn Marx posted:

Would you guys recommend this game to someone who loved 2033's atmosphere but thought the gameplay pretty mediocre and was annoyed by poo poo like gas masks and ammo scarcity ?

I quit 2033 after a few hours, never to return, but really liked this one. At least on normal difficulty, I think the game automatically tones itself down if you run out of ammo, like monsters won't spawn that often and will die quicker, and there's plenty of air filters around.

I thought the only not so good parts in the game were two levels where it's more about gunning down constant waves of monsters instead of being all stealthy, but otherwise I enjoyed the game a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Started playing through this last night and apparantly I ran into a bug that seems to keep me from being able to progress anymore. Pavel is standing at the corner of the theater shouting at me to follow him but actually refusing to go anywhere no matter what I do.

So far though it seems like a better game than the first one. I guess I'll have to restart the chapter or game now.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Blue Raider posted:

If there's ever another game, I hope it moves away from the Dark Ones and focuses more on the supposedly supernatural nature of the metro and the stranger stations. There are some really cool and creepy stations in the book, and it'd be really cool to visit some of them. In particular, there is a station of satanists that would make for some pretty cool videogaming.

Well, there is good news, I believe future DLC will feature some isolated side stories, if I am not mistaken. Which may lend itself to some new areas, or maybe an anomaly or two.

While I am not against an open world metro, it would be too hard unless you're character has the political power to have safe passage and tons of MGR to bribe or hire guards. At least coming from the book background it seems really difficulty to move through one station to the next, without a well thought out plan, or allies in every station.

Now, what I think would be crazy cool, is if maybe there was a New York subway system Metro game, that may hopefully provide the same atmosphere, new art theme, and possibly more open gameplay. Who knows what is in store though.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Scyron posted:

Now, what I think would be crazy cool, is if maybe there was a New York subway system Metro game, that may hopefully provide the same atmosphere, new art theme, and possibly more open gameplay. Who knows what is in store though.
That would be problematic. IIRC the NY metro system is nowhere near as expansive and much more of it is above ground. A post apocalyptic NYC would still be awesome though, tolling around in abandoned skyscrapers amd what not.

On the topic of the game, anyone know if the VSK is somehow better than the Kalash 2012? I ask because it doesn't seem any better yet it shows uplatet in the game...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sloober posted:

Started playing through this last night and apparantly I ran into a bug that seems to keep me from being able to progress anymore. Pavel is standing at the corner of the theater shouting at me to follow him but actually refusing to go anywhere no matter what I do.

So far though it seems like a better game than the first one. I guess I'll have to restart the chapter or game now.

Are you actually in the theater? Sit down and get up again, that might help.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

dogstile posted:

Are you actually in the theater? Sit down and get up again, that might help.

No, we'd just left the downed airplane and gotten ambushed by the nosalises. Killed them off and now Pavel is standing at the corner outside the theater shouting for me to follow him around the corner to the theater. He just stands there doing nothing surrounded by mutant corpses.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Sloober posted:

No, we'd just left the downed airplane and gotten ambushed by the nosalises. Killed them off and now Pavel is standing at the corner outside the theater shouting for me to follow him around the corner to the theater. He just stands there doing nothing surrounded by mutant corpses.

I think I ran into that too, and solved it by getting myself killed so we redid that section. You could probably achieve the same effect by loading up a checkpoint.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Damegane posted:

I think I ran into that too, and solved it by getting myself killed so we redid that section. You could probably achieve the same effect by loading up a checkpoint.

Nope :( The checkpoint is immediately when he starts shouting for me to follow. First thing I thought of - although I don't know if dying will be any better as that just reloads checkpoint as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well, that ended a bit sooner than I expected, though I was honestly ready for the game to be done. I guess the developers knew how long to wear their welcome! Not sure which ending I got exactly. I assume Artyom blowing up is in either ending, and the Dark Ones promising to come back is the good ending? I was expecting there to be a sequence where Artyom would help to free the Dark Ones from their slumber and they might lash out at him for causing all those deaths and the little dark one would have had to choose to save you based on your good/bad behavior. So I was a bit surprised when it ended where it did!

Overall a good game, though I echo the sentiment that it's a bit too linear for my tastes. I would like more sidequests and perhaps hub-based exploration.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Lotish posted:

Well, that ended a bit sooner than I expected, though I was honestly ready for the game to be done. I guess the developers knew how long to wear their welcome! Not sure which ending I got exactly. I assume Artyom blowing up is in either ending, and the Dark Ones promising to come back is the good ending? I was expecting there to be a sequence where Artyom would help to free the Dark Ones from their slumber and they might lash out at him for causing all those deaths and the little dark one would have had to choose to save you based on your good/bad behavior. So I was a bit surprised when it ended where it did!

Overall a good game, though I echo the sentiment that it's a bit too linear for my tastes. I would like more sidequests and perhaps hub-based exploration.

Nope. You got the "bad" ending. In the good ending the Dark Ones save Artyom and D6 isn't destroyed.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Sloober posted:

Nope :( The checkpoint is immediately when he starts shouting for me to follow. First thing I thought of - although I don't know if dying will be any better as that just reloads checkpoint as well.

I got this too, on my first playthrough, I had to restart the whole section. Redoing the plane was the only really annoying part.

Also is there anyway to just start the game at the menu?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

PureRok posted:

Nope. You got the "bad" ending. In the good ending the Dark Ones save Artyom and D6 isn't destroyed.

Well, guess I killed too many people or something because I tried to make all the "good" choices. I spared everyone I had at my mercy and even got that kid's teddy bear back.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lotish posted:

Well, guess I killed too many people or something because I tried to make all the "good" choices. I spared everyone I had at my mercy and even got that kid's teddy bear back.

Funny enough it seems like the "good" choices also involve standing around listening to things. Almost anytime you hear a conversation that seems written rather than normal ol' NPC idle talk it will end with a +Moral point flash. There's a handful of those right in the start in D6.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

YodaTFK posted:

I got this too, on my first playthrough, I had to restart the whole section. Redoing the plane was the only really annoying part.

Also is there anyway to just start the game at the menu?

If you mean the startup ads, rename C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Metro Last Light\legal.ogv to something else

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sloober posted:

Funny enough it seems like the "good" choices also involve standing around listening to things. Almost anytime you hear a conversation that seems written rather than normal ol' NPC idle talk it will end with a +Moral point flash. There's a handful of those right in the start in D6.

I did a lot of that, too. To be fair, I killed a lot of people. I think every chance there was for a firefight, I took it. With the exception of a few places in the early to mid-game when sneaking was easy, like Venice. And even when I was sneaking, if I could have popped them in the face with a silenced shotgun, they got a buckshot breakfast. If a kill count lowers your moral standing in this game, I was a literal monster.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Checking in with another first run bad end. Now for ranger mode and following a moral point guide using the in-game browser for good end!

I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the first one, but maybe I have a case of rose-tinted glasses going on?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I definitely had more fun with this one than the first one, but the story didn't resonant quite as well.

edit: Speaking of story, I swear I read in a magazine from before THQ's disintegration that they were going to have Patton Oswalt play Artyom and he was going to be more bumbling and work as a bar-tender post Dark-One Bombing before getting called back into action. Was that a plan that got scrapped or a stupid joke?

edit: vvv Yeah, I see confirmation of the Patton thing, but no official debunking/clarification. I'll go with joke, too.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 28, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Lotish posted:

I definitely had more fun with this one than the first one, but the story didn't resonant quite as well.

edit: Speaking of story, I swear I read in a magazine from before THQ's disintegration that they were going to have Patton Oswalt play Artyom and he was going to be more bumbling and work as a bar-tender post Dark-One Bombing before getting called back into action. Was that a plan that got scrapped or a stupid joke?

Check the OP, I think it was just a joke.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Playing ranger normal. poo poo, why did I play the game on regular first? That first wave of nosalis you have to gun down with the help of the sniper, none of them even got near me, as compared to taking some hits the last time through on normal.

Also- I miss the suits! I wonder why they took those out? Perhaps because the stealth one is no longer necessary, really? I also find I don't have to use the flashlight/NVG nearly as much as I did in the first game.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Huh approaching the end I suspect and this has been pretty badass from start to finish. I'll need to replay it because I don't think I've touched any guns aside from the four-barrel and a silenced revolver. Even then I've just :chef: all the humans so far, I'm not tiring of it.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Dogen posted:

Also- I miss the suits! I wonder why they took those out? Perhaps because the stealth one is no longer necessary, really?

Probably because Artyom is now a proper member of the Rangers and thus gets access to nice military gear as well.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Thanks for the answers, I'll add this to my wishlist and wait for a sale then.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I made it to the swamp and the atmosphere is amazing, lots of crazy noises and I'm constantly whipping around thinking something is going to pop out. I think this is really the first time the game cuts you loose and lets you wander around a big environment by yourself a little without having to sneak around guards or follow some dude who constantly yells at you to follow him if you stop to look around at all.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Damegane posted:

Probably because Artyom is now a proper member of the Rangers and thus gets access to nice military gear as well.

I felt like it added a little dimension of fun to the first one I guess is all :(

Now I suppose you change a couple times for story reasons and it wouldn't make sense to have something different on.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Dogen posted:

Playing ranger normal. poo poo, why did I play the game on regular first? That first wave of nosalis you have to gun down with the help of the sniper, none of them even got near me, as compared to taking some hits the last time through on normal.

So you're saying that playing in Ranger mode made the game easier? I guess the sensible course would be to play in Ranger mode first and then play in Normal or Hard. But would you want to play ordinary Normal mode after having played Ranger?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ranger mode definitely seems easier. Everything dies in a shot or two if you can aim, which makes it trival. Less ammo? Who cares, it only takes me a single shotgun shell to down anything.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

your evil twin posted:

So you're saying that playing in Ranger mode made the game easier? I guess the sensible course would be to play in Ranger mode first and then play in Normal or Hard. But would you want to play ordinary Normal mode after having played Ranger?

The higher difficulty levels (Ranger or otherwise) bump up damage from both you and everyone else. This has the side effect of making the combat easier, particularly if you're any good at shooters.

Easy (Original) is probably the hardest by far, as your weapons do a puny amount of damage and events where you're supposed to get overwhelmed by nosalises or other enemies become significantly more difficult, although the human sections do become easier if you just run around gunning everyone.

Supply of reosurces is a gameplay element that you could argue is made more difficult by Ranger mode. MGRs are harder to come by because your stuff sells for less, ammo capacity is smaller and loot is less numerous in general. Of course, MGRs can be mostly ignored as a form of currency and the reduced availability of ammo is offset, to some extent, by the higher damage output.

Edit: I wouldn't play (Original) Normal or Easy for any reason. They make some encounters harder while making the rest of the game less fun. (Original) Hardcore is just slightly below Ranger as far as damage output goes, but it retains aspects such as higher ammo capacity, 3 weapons and obviously most HUD elements. I don't know if there are any significant differences between Ranger and Ranger Hardcore outside of the tab interface.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 30, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sometimes I wish I knew how many bullets I had, but frankly the fact that they can actually kill mutants makes me feel like I use a lot less of them anyway (humans were never much a problem on my normal playthrough).

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
So I finished this and I'm not sure which ending I got. The Dark Toddler made some ominous noises about learning to kill evil doers when I let Pavel die, I thought he was maybe going to collect his buddies and wreak vengeance on mankind? Instead after shooting surrendered men and killing wounded people and smirking at beggars all game in the end he skips off into the sunset with his buddies. Is the good ending that I don't explode or something?

It was all pretty :black101: start to finish though.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, in the good ending you don't explode.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Huh approaching the end I suspect and this has been pretty badass from start to finish. I'll need to replay it because I don't think I've touched any guns aside from the four-barrel and a silenced revolver. Even then I've just :chef: all the humans so far, I'm not tiring of it.

Try the BB gun. It's a blast :D

It's got like fifteen shots and if you've got decent aim and a full tank it's a good freakout weapon for taking out mutants.

I just finished the game--went straight for Ranger Normal and I got the Good Ending. Nearly got the no-kill achievement but I just couldn't manage it on that train where you get the Dark One. Still, going mostly no-kill felt pretty cool, like Artyom was trying to atone. You know, except when he was stealing the filters out of the masks of guys on the surface. He's trying to be a better man, but no one's that good.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Mr. Fowl posted:

Try the BB gun. It's a blast :D

It's got like fifteen shots and if you've got decent aim and a full tank it's a good freakout weapon for taking out mutants.

I just finished the game--went straight for Ranger Normal and I got the Good Ending. Nearly got the no-kill achievement but I just couldn't manage it on that train where you get the Dark One. Still, going mostly no-kill felt pretty cool, like Artyom was trying to atone. You know, except when he was stealing the filters out of the masks of guys on the surface. He's trying to be a better man, but no one's that good.

Just a heads up, but it's stealing the masks and filters of guys on the surface that probably cost you the no kills achievement, not the train section, since I'm pretty sure you have to shoot guys during the train sequence.

Taking masks/the filter on the mask from unconscious bodies on the surface counts as killing, at least I'm pretty sure it does.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Going through some of my screenshots.

This game looks like it comes out next year.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Здравствуйте, сэр! Как вы делаете сегодня? I hope Google translate didn't completely butcher this.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Metro 2033 looks like it comes out next year. I haven't even bought LL yet, but it's tough to see how it could be an improvement in all ways including performance.

2033 with vsync/triple-buffering enabled can be run with all features enabled on my new rig and it's easily the best combination of graphics coding with art direction I've seen since Dark Souls. DS doesn't have the phenomenal dynamic lighting, well dynamic everything, of this game but shares that feeling of art and code coming together to form brilliantly realized environments.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PureRok posted:

Здравствуйте, сэр! Как вы делаете сегодня? I hope Google translate didn't completely butcher this.

Those wrinkles :swoon:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

hopterque posted:

Just a heads up, but it's stealing the masks and filters of guys on the surface that probably cost you the no kills achievement, not the train section, since I'm pretty sure you have to shoot guys during the train sequence.

Taking masks/the filter on the mask from unconscious bodies on the surface counts as killing, at least I'm pretty sure it does.

It would make some sense if this is true, as you basically have to confirm taking the mask filter. Oh well, I still managed to no-kill Red Square--that was a blast.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

PureRok posted:

You missed my favorite guy right next to him. He's so mad :argh:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Mr. Fowl posted:

Oh well, I still managed to no-kill Red Square--that was a blast.

HOW?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Hide the best you can from the snipers. Eventually four guys will come down and you can punch them in the face. Hide again and Pavel will talk poo poo to you and take potshots at you for a while and eventually the gate will open and a heavy will come out. There will also be two regular guys hanging out behind the door. One you take care of those guys and go after Pavel the snipers will inexplicably disappear.

• Locked thread