Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Feenix posted:

Powerful like someone's corny grandpa singing a ballad through his dentures.

You seem cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

By the way, the Paul Williams vocal parts are the best parts of Touch. The build up at the beginning is powerful.

Sorry but this is actually widely regarded as the worst moment on the entire album.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

thathonkey posted:

Sorry but this is actually widely regarded as the worst moment on the entire album.

In this forum, maybe.

Anyway, on the remix front, Computer Club's drum & bass spin on Doin' It Right isn't too bad: https://soundcloud.com/computerclub/doinitwrong

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rocco posted:

You seem cool

I'm not. But that doesn't change how terrible I feel like Williams' vocals are. He sounds like a hammy aging broadway singer and it just doesn't fit. You can literally hear the old in his voice.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

You really ought to see this movie. It's worth 90 minutes of your time, especially if you're a Daft Punk fan.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Spoilers Below posted:

You really ought to see this movie. It's worth 90 minutes of your time, especially if you're a Daft Punk fan.

I really liked this movie, long before I even started getting in to Daft Punk.

That doesn't make Williams' singing in that song any more tolerable.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I like to think the robots knew that vocal performance on Touch was absolute poo poo but out of respect or reverence could not find it in themselves to cut it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

thathonkey posted:

I like to think the robots knew that vocal performance on Touch was absolute poo poo but out of respect or reverence could not find it in themselves to cut it

I found it pretty great and it packed a ton of emotion. There is nothing wrong with an old dude singing unless you hate old people or something.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

PonchAxis posted:

I found it pretty great and it packed a ton of emotion. There is nothing wrong with an old dude singing unless you hate old people or something.

I love old people. I mean, that is to say, I certainly can love/appreciate their music. I just feel like it is at terrible odds with the album/track in this case. Terrible, terrible odds. Might as well be someone's mother rapping on the track.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Blast Fantasto posted:

I really liked this movie, long before I even started getting in to Daft Punk.

That doesn't make Williams' singing in that song any more tolerable.
Thank you.

The two aren't related at all and trying to justify one by referencing the other just falls flat.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I love William's voice. gently caress the haters. It sounds old, yes, but I like that. It also sounds weary and pained, which adds a lot to the song, for me anyway.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I definitely get weary and pained when listening to that track, so mission accomplished I guess.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
My disliking it has nothing to do with him being old. In fact I had no idea who he was/that he was old until recently. Cant it just be accepted that it isnt for everyone without a bunch of rationalizing?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

thathonkey posted:

My disliking it has nothing to do with him being old. In fact I had no idea who he was/that he was old until recently. Cant it just be accepted that it isnt for everyone without a bunch of rationalizing?

Sure, every one is entitled to their opinion. Sometimes I've appreciated something a lot more once I knew the context and background, but sometimes it still stunk regardless.

I personally dig Touch, but I could see how people wouldn't like it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

thathonkey posted:

Cant it just be accepted that it isnt for everyone without a bunch of rationalizing?

thathonkey posted:

This thread is the best distillation of denial and strained rationalization ever. So much "well if you would just rearrange these tracks" and "if you ignore these ~5 songs" and "right but I think what they were going for was..." and "it will be great when the remixes come out I swear!" and "BUT THE CONCEPT!" and "the production is real smooth though" that it kinda warms my heart how far out of their way dedicated fans will go to enjoy something. In a way, it is actually kinda beautiful.

Sorry, but c'mon. You were all over people not 20 pages ago for liking it and discussing it while also having problems with it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 30, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Im actually still making the same point about the rationalizing. IE people rationalizing why the album is great same as theyre doing now about Touch. But, guilty as charged, over the time span equivalent of 20 pages of thread I have come to appreciate the album a lot more. Everyone can have their own opinion but mine is that Touch still sucks sorry :(

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Wario In Real Life posted:

Thank you.

The two aren't related at all and trying to justify one by referencing the other just falls flat.

The song begins with the exact same vocal effect being tweaked as when Swan is tweaking the Phantom's voice box. It is clearly a reference to the movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Feenix posted:

Might as well be someone's mother rapping on the track.

What? No. I can understand you not liking Touch, but just no :lol:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

thathonkey posted:

Im actually still making the same point about the rationalizing. IE people rationalizing why the album is great same as theyre doing now about Touch. But, guilty as charged, over the time span equivalent of 20 pages of thread I have come to appreciate the album a lot more. Everyone can have their own opinion but mine is that Touch still sucks sorry :(

Nah I get it, no one needs to be justifying it to anyone one way or another. The thing that bothered me more back there was the people who would demand explanations for why people like such a terrrrrrrrible album.

That was about as genuine of a sorry as that could be at the front of that post because you've been better than most in discussing it. :(

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I have no problem with strained, emotional vocals. I am a Lou Reed fan; he has sounded 65 since he was 25.

Paul Williams vocals are strained and also lovely. It's a shame because I greatly enjoy the musical portion of Touch.

I am allowed to dislike something without it being "You just don't GET IT, maaaaaan"

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I just don't like how the guy sounds when he sings. Change the vocalist and I'd like a song a lot more, I think. I understand it's partly a reference to his past work, and that it's directly referencing his own near-death experience. I simply dislike his singing style, and as such I skip the track on most playthroughs. It has nothing to do with him "sounding old."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in. I like Touch, I'm not bothered by the vocals but they were a jarring moment when I was first listening because it was the first clean vocal on the album that wasn't pharrell doing disco one liners (which was way easier to fold into DP's folder in my head).

It's not my favorite song on the album but the "if love is the answer" breakdown IS one of my favorite moments on the album. I've mentioned that one thing that kills me about this album is that it sometimes feels like glimpses of a direction DP could have taken further. This song makes me want to hear what else could be pulled from the mode they're in with the "Kiss! Suddenly alive!" part and the robo-doo-wop band at the front of the breakdown.

The transition from Touch to Get Lucky is especially interesting and gives GL an almost serious undertone. Or at least a lifting you out of serious kind of feel

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Touch and Get Lucky kind of sound the same for a few seconds, too. Gives them this strange connection.

In Touch, I'm talking about the part at 3:22. Sounds the same as part of Nile's guitar riff in Get Lucky.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I guess I'm in the minority, Touch is my favorite song on the album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't know if I'd call it my absolute favorite on the album (because I have a few favorites and I don't necessarily want to rank it higher than another), but it's certainly one of two most interesting songs on the album (Giorgio being the other).

It feels so out of left field for Daft Punk (even moreso than the disco/soft rock songs on the album) and weird as gently caress and I can't help but love it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That was about as genuine of a sorry as that could be at the front of that post because you've been better than most in discussing it. :(

No need to apologize. Ive probably been kind of an rear end since the album came out. To play devil's advocate a bit, it is difficult sometimes when you are hyped for an album from a group you really love, then instantly disappointed meanwhile others seem to get it and love it and youre just stuck wondering "wtf am I missing?" and then take those emotions and express them the wrong way in a thread like this or whatever the venue for discussion is.

Its hard to take something well that youre so invested in that ends up being disappointing (to you)... Like it almost feels personal. Its kind of like when youve spent years watching a TV show and really gotten into the characters or whatever and then the showrunners take things in a direction you dont agree with or find counterintuitive. It feels like a slap in the face almost and you need time to digest it before you can revisit the subject a bit more objectively. I dunno if that makes any sense :)

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 30, 2013

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I guess I'm in the minority, Touch is my favorite song on the album.

I'm there with you. There's something about it I adore. Touch, Beyond and Giorgio are my most listened to. I have been singing Touch to myself a lot at work, it's really stuck in my mind.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Touch is to the RAM album as Random Access Memories is to the rest of Daft Punk's albums.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I like that Touch leads into Get Lucky. It ends with them looking for more, and they find it in some sweet funk.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Touch has a lot of different movements to it and sounds a lot like it's pulled from a musical, so looking at it that way makes me enjoy it so much.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I like that Touch leads into Get Lucky. It ends with them looking for more, and they find it in some sweet funk.

It's not a concept album, but there is a more or less thematic element running through.

Touch is also a direct response to Instant Crush, which talks about unlocking a door, and Touch of course contains "A room within a room, a door behind a door."

There's sort of a general theme of the robot tasting humanity and wanting more/becoming human, and Touch is the centerpiece of that.

I really like Touch as a place to jump into the album (it starts side 2 of the vinyl) or as a piece of the whole, even if I never choose to listen to it by itself as a single.

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!

xie posted:

Touch is also a direct response to Instant Crush, which talks about unlocking a door, and Touch of course contains "A room within a room, a door behind a door."

Don't forget about Within.

"Many rooms to explore but the doors look the same"

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Just chiming in to say that the intro to Touch is probably my favorite part of the song (next to the ragtime bit). Sounds like some terrifying monster-machine hybrid powering on for the first time after a long hibernation before it abruptly gains consciousness. I think those distorted vocals are totally cool and actually a little creepy.

Also I think I would prefer Get Lucky to be in front of Touch because I personally feel the callback would be more effective on the later.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 31, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Touch is good-- but it was the last song to grow on me, after contact. I just didn't really like the fact that it was a Daft Punk song that I couldn't just turn on and jam, it's a mini-musical basically. The intro vocals are creepy as hell also.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
It's probably one of the least compulsively listenable tracks on the album and it for sure is pompous, conceited even. But I think the negative reaction stems from people who come to Daft Punk expecting instantly recognizable earworm dance jams, which is certainly their bread and butter. So a sprawling, ever-changing symphony with kitchy vocals is a huge turn off for a lot of people expecting something more compact and hooky with less melodrama. It's a pretty incredible composition though and even if it's way too grandiose for it's own good, it's hard to fault it when it's reaching for the stars.

I'm honestly surprised to find that Touch seems to be the most controversial track on the record when I figured Fragments of Time was going to be the black sheep (love both, tho). Fragments is just so playfully sentimental that I thought it would be the most instantly repulsive to the majority of listeners.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 31, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AwwJeah posted:

It's probably one of the least compulsively listenable tracks on the album and it for sure is pompous, conceited even. But I think the negative reaction stems from people who come to Daft Punk expecting instantly recognizable earworm dance jams, which is certainly their bread and butter. So a sprawling, ever-changing symphony with kitchy vocals is a huge turn off for a lot of people expecting something more compact and hooky with less melodrama. It's a pretty incredible composition though and even if it's way too grandiose for it's own good, it's hard to fault it when it's reaching for the stars.

I'm honestly surprised to find that Touch seems to be the most controversial track on the record when I figured Fragments of Time was going to be the black sheep (love both, tho).

No, I think people just don't like it because they're not crazy about the singing and find the whole song meandering. I love it, but I feel like the thread has moved beyond the whole "expectations are shaping your reaction" justification from people who both like and don't like the album and that's a good thing because it's unfairly dismissive at this point.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I can see the those tawdry, easy listening, schmaltzy vocals being the breaking point for a lot of people. However, I honestly think it's so polarizing because the song tries so hard to impress you and the sprawl is just too much for some people to take before they get antsy.

I would say it's far from being meandering, though. The entire song it built on an upward trajectory.

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!

AwwJeah posted:

I can see the those tawdry, easy listening, schmaltzy vocals being the breaking point for a lot of people. However, I honestly think it's so polarizing because the song tries so hard to impress you and the sprawl is just too much for some people to take before they get antsy.

I would say it's far from being meandering, though. The entire song it built on an upward trajectory.

I really just can't stand Williams vocal performance or lyrics and don't find the song interesting enough to get beyond that. Has nothing to do with the sprawl being too much or what have you. Sometimes tastes are hard to pin down and describe. "One man's trash is another man's treasure". Song just isn't for everyone but if you're feeling it, more power to you. (not being sarcastic)

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Yeah I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong for not liking it, I'm really just spitballing some theories to explain the contrasting opinions on Touch since, for me, the vocals are probably the least compelling reason to not enjoy it. To each his own obviously!

Anyway, I'm interested to know if there's any stauch defenders of Motherboard? For me that is far and away the most skippable and aimless track on the entire record. It's the exact moment where the album stops earning my attention and becomes background noise. It's just way too long and meandering to be the spacey, palette cleansing intermission track it wants to be. It was neat to listen to on headphones a few times, but now it's the one thing dragging down an otherwise impeccable final stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So do you guys like Get Lucky?

Do you like orchestral, scherzo trio versions of Get Lucky?

Walt Ribiero's done more Daft Punk covers than he has of any other artist, and they're all pretty great. Personally my favorite is Harder Better Faster Stronger, it absolutely nails the feel of the song.

• Locked thread