Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Shaggar my question is: what's your opinion or sharepoint designer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its gross

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Shaggar posted:

its gross

:h5:

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

that was supposed to be a high five. I'm a failure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its cool. there are like 3 different sharepoint specific development clients other than visual studio and their all really loving weird.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like I wanted to do some stuff in some sharepoint form but it didn't work and the way they do datasources is so weird and stuff so I ended up just doing it in asp.net

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

I'm a sharepoint developer and mostly write custom web parts and workflows which are both fine because they use mostly normal .net code (but stuck on v3.5) but sometimes I have to use designer and it makes me want to go spin cookies in the parking lot and then never come back

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sharepoint is dumb but its not my problem so that's fine.

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

it is my problem

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

CamH posted:

it is my problem

a 1000 poor design problems, but a bitch aint one

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

which is good b/c i run the household too so i've got another 4 hours of work ahead of me when i go home!

lol.

:smith:

heh i bet your bedframe doesn't even look like a race car! :smug:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

CamH posted:

why is that even a setting (no didnt)

lol'd irl at this exchange

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

all the oses that run c# are dead or dying, pick up cobol or fortran while there's still a bit of (terrible, broke-rear end, academic) life in those

i wish this wasn't true

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
ios: a dying os

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so we use mapquest for this one mapping thing (lol) and mapquest is changing their apis to something new so I have to update it. so im looking thru code of long since departed developer and its just so gross and nasty but atleast the call to the mapquest crap is separate from the database junk so I can just swap out one jsp for the mapquest stuff and be done w/ it.

it actually turns out to be pretty freakin easy to use if you just copy the example wholesale from their examples with one exception.

if u want to specify image sizes or zoom levels for the thumbnails for driving directions u cant do it as a url parameter for the route request. you have to send it as an xml or json post object. gently caress that. that's like some effort.

but it turns out when it returns the images for the directions, the urls for the images use their map display service (thats actually well done mapquest, v. nice) and the url for the image includes the size and zoom to use in the request. so instead of writing whatever the javascript is to form a post w/ a json object in the intial request, im just gonna do a regex replace on the returned default size+zoom parameters and replace them with the ones I want.

saving 5 minutes of development time in exchange for a few client side cpu cycles. I feel like a real web "developer"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
use iOS maps idiot

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

dur posted:

i can think of jobs were i'd be happy but getting one of them is another thing entirely

being a not terrible programmer would probably help tho. how do i do that?

write lots of code

read other people's terrible code and figure out why your code is terrible

write more code

also maybe read a book? i don't know anything about that, though.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
none of this has 2 do w/ ios.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

none of this has 2 do w/ ios.

LOL if ur a developer but aren't making mobile apps ITYOOL 2013

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Shaggar posted:

so we use mapquest for this one mapping thing (lol) and mapquest is changing their apis to something new so I have to update it. so im looking thru code of long since departed developer and its just so gross and nasty but atleast the call to the mapquest crap is separate from the database junk so I can just swap out one jsp for the mapquest stuff and be done w/ it.

it actually turns out to be pretty freakin easy to use if you just copy the example wholesale from their examples with one exception.

if u want to specify image sizes or zoom levels for the thumbnails for driving directions u cant do it as a url parameter for the route request. you have to send it as an xml or json post object. gently caress that. that's like some effort.

but it turns out when it returns the images for the directions, the urls for the images use their map display service (thats actually well done mapquest, v. nice) and the url for the image includes the size and zoom to use in the request. so instead of writing whatever the javascript is to form a post w/ a json object in the intial request, im just gonna do a regex replace on the returned default size+zoom parameters and replace them with the ones I want.

saving 5 minutes of development time in exchange for a few client side cpu cycles. I feel like a real web "developer"

ive done a lot of work w/ the google maps api maybe we should compare mapping api notes

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

obj c is kinda a silly PL but it is necessary to develop mass-market software that you can actually monetize and more or less guaranteed to work on the hardware. and xcode the only IDE that doesnt make me want to gouge my eyes out with a plastic spoon

only apple could come up with an IDE that is actually kinda nice to use and look at

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i find xcode to be a little dare i say obtuse

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

if you cant handle xcode u should probably just give up on programming because you're probably bad at it

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
b-b-but the Ruby guys said Xcode is bad and that I should use Vim!

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

CamH posted:

if you cant handle xcode u should probably just give up on programming because you're probably bad at it

like being bad at programming ever stopped anyone.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

THC posted:

obj c is kinda a silly PL but it is necessary to develop mass-market software that you can actually monetize and more or less guaranteed to work on the hardware. and xcode the only IDE that doesnt make me want to gouge my eyes out with a plastic spoon

only apple could come up with an IDE that is actually kinda nice to use and look at

what's silly about it

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Zaxxon posted:

like being bad at programming ever stopped anyone.

i have never let this slow me down god bless

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

AWWNAW posted:

i have never let this slow me down god bless

fist to the air screamin I don't give a gently caress, I'ma hand parse this csv and forget to deal with quotes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaggar posted:

ignore your system administrators

shaggar was right

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

what's silly about it
Im inclined to think the entire message passing concept is apple being different for the sake of being different. (NB: I realize this is not the actual reason why obj-c has messaging but to someone raised on c/++ c# and java it is just so very peculiar.) they just get turned into function calls at compile time anyway so wtf

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 31, 2013

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

THC posted:

Im inclined to think the entire message passing concept is apple being different for the sake of being different. (NB: I realize this is not the actual reason why obj-c has messaging but to someone raised on c/++ c# and java it is just so very peculiar.) they just get turned into function calls at compile time anyway so wtf

apple had nothing to do with the initial design of objc fwiw. it's a 30 year old language based on smalltalk, an also old language which iirc started the concept of message passing.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

THC posted:

No they don't, at least not in the way that you mean. They get turned into calls to the C function objc_msgSend(), which sends the object the message.

The message passing is what makes Objective-C such a dynamic language.

For instance, you can add methods to objects at runtime because calling methods is really just sending messages instead of making direct function calls like in c++/c#/whatever. And you can ask an object if it responds to a given message so that you can, say, use a method added in a certain version of iOS but still maintain backward compatibility without having to remember what specific version of iOS it was that added the method.

You can forward messages to other objects, or even make an object that consumes all messages.

Message passing is one of the things that I like about Objective-C.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 31, 2013

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

PleasingFungus posted:

write lots of code

read other people's terrible code and figure out why your code is terrible

write more code

also maybe read a book? i don't know anything about that, though.

hey

do any of you guys have recommendations for books?? i've only done like 3/4 of that "learn python the hard way" book so i think i need like babbys programming fundamentals

and also a reason to write lots of code because my job sure isn't letting me do that

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

dur posted:

hey

do any of you guys have recommendations for books?? i've only done like 3/4 of that "learn python the hard way" book so i think i need like babbys programming fundamentals

and also a reason to write lots of code because my job sure isn't letting me do that

i learned an insane amount by regularly reading comp.lang.perl.misc -- i have no idea what it's like nowadays, but it was pretty well-controlled by sensible people, so there was a constant stream of "here's how to do something fairly simple, and why to do it this way" mixed with "here's something insanely clever, and why it's insanely clever" and "don't do x that way; you will regret it"

usenet may not be a good place for python, but if you can find forums or mailing lists where smart, sensible people who are good at explaining things hang out, it can be more useful than most books

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

dur posted:

hey

If you still need the fundamentals, try a web course on like lynda.com or pluralsight. The cost for a month at either is probably cheaper than a programming book.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CamH posted:

ive done a lot of work w/ the google maps api maybe we should compare mapping api notes

I shopped around our maps contract about a year ago and sent stuff out to everyone. Bing got back to me immediately and was reasonably priced and had a great api. Then mapquest came back and said they'd give us the addition stuff we wanted for free with our current contract which is very cheap so we stuck w/ them. Google didnt respond until about a week after we had reupped w/ mapquest and was hilariously overpriced

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho we don't do any complex mapping tasks at all. we've got a driving directions thing for providing directions for patients and we do some geocoding, but that's it.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

THC posted:

its basically function calls except they get resolved at runtime instead of compile time. objc is weird its like half c half p-lang

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

dur posted:

hey

I learned a ton reading SICP and doing most of the exercises, but I already had the basics down and it took months to go through still. It's one of the books I'm really happy to have gone through. How To Design Programs might be more accessible, but I have never tried it.

If you want to know why things are like they are -- how is computer formed -- I think Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software is a very nice introductory text. I started with high-level languages from the beginning and reading it had me going "oooh that's how!"

For more direct hands-on programming books, I don't have a lot of recommendations, though. It's probably easier to go with something language-specific which would be adapted for a specific task you want to accomplish in the end, rather than going "hey, how do I program in general?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
i think i want to start a project to access data in this horrible industry specific XML format from a horrible Web Service and dump it into a sql db. I'm back and forth between java and c# but i'm think c# because who am i kidding everyone uses windows, i'd like to make it not terrible what's a good starting point for learning c#. (i've done development before but it was a long time ago.)

• Locked thread