Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Admittedly, that is one of the problems with fiction like this, isn't it? Once you start down the path of imagining where fashion will go you're going to get anal about how everything else will have changed, and the series will never get done because you've wasted too much time on the minutiae.

One of my favourite things about Unicorn is that loads of people have big poofy hair like its still the 80s. That and Minerva's space formal wear are great little ways to make the setting a little more solid and give it its own fashion and style rather than just aping modern looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The only show I know that actively tackles that is Batman Beyond/of the Future. One of the DVD specials has the production team discussing in show fashion for a minute or two and how they got rid of collars on shirts to make them look different along with having digital threads so that watches showed up on the user's sleeve. Now that you mention it I don't think I've ever seen any other show really bother with that aspect - it's not something I've ever really thought about or noticed either to be honest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's really really hard to do and most shows don't have a basic grasp on contemporary fashion, let alone future fashion. Trying to come up with something plausible but not ridiculous is hard, especially since a lot of fashion looks ridiculous outside of its own special little time period. The problem is that going full-out and making it ridiculous will distract the viewer too much.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like how things seem sort of Regal in Gundam. like Technology has evolved in crazy ways, but fashion almost went Victorian. You can see it in the old guy's bed/cryo thing in Unicorn, it is clearly high-tech but also very ornate like a wood carving. I liked that mix. I don't know how consistent it is throughout the other series though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ACanofPepsi posted:

I like how things seem sort of Regal in Gundam. like Technology has evolved in crazy ways, but fashion almost went Victorian. You can see it in the old guy's bed/cryo thing in Unicorn, it is clearly high-tech but also very ornate like a wood carving. I liked that mix. I don't know how consistent it is throughout the other series though.

Well there is the space-royalty in Crossbone and F91.

And the Axis/Neo Zeon and Sleeves had some pretty ornate clothes (and MS designs) as well. Sinanju has all that gilding on it, for example.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Another sin of the Zabi legacy.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Then there's stuff like Wing where everyone's dressed like it's the 18th century but with giant robots. Seriously I can't look at Zechs or Trieze and not laugh my rear end off at how ridiculous their clothes are.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

TARDISman posted:

Then there's stuff like Wing where everyone's dressed like it's the 18th century but with giant robots. Seriously I can't look at Zechs or Trieze and not laugh my rear end off at how ridiculous their clothes are.

Giant robots are the quintessential dueling weapon of choice. It is the most pure form of two combatants facing of against each other in a contest of skill, to the death.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
I don't think you can talk about Gundam fashion without at least a brief mention of Amuro's flares.

EDIT: I watched Excel Saga when I was about 14 and had no anime experience out of Love Hina and Toonami, so I totally missed it, but there's a surprisingly good Gundam Parody sequence. It was never that funny, but I actually laughed at Puchu Sayla's face. Srry its in spanish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAaLorGuly0

Giant Enemy Cliche fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 29, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Begemot posted:

Well there is the space-royalty in Crossbone and F91.

And the Axis/Neo Zeon and Sleeves had some pretty ornate clothes (and MS designs) as well. Sinanju has all that gilding on it, for example.

I think all the Sleeves outfits and mobile suits have that gilding. The Kshatriya certainly does, and I'm pretty sure all of Angelo's do as well. I suppose if you can't make your cause righteous you can at least make it look cool.

TARDISman posted:

Really? I recognize that they look dated, but I still find the fashions cool rather silly - even if I can see why they'd look silly to someone. They might be ornate and complicated, but hell, so is a tuxedo in my opinion, and I still enjoy swanning around in those occasionally. I'd love the excuse to wear such frippery every now and then. Especially Trieze's half-cape. My life is a little emptier knowing I'll never have cause to wear one formally.

Lostconfused posted:

Giant robots are the quintessential dueling weapon of choice. It is the most pure form of two combatants facing of against each other in a contest of skill, to the death.

Proof, if ever it was needed, that this is indeed true.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

TARDISman posted:

What are you talking about? OZ's mandatory epaulettes, fabulous capes, and sweet boots won me to their side from the start!

Well, that and the Wing boys' characterization. :geno:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Viola the Mad posted:

What are you talking about? OZ's mandatory epaulettes, fabulous capes, and sweet boots won me to their side from the start!

Well, that and the Wing boys' characterization. :geno:

The epaulettes and capes were indeed sweet but the boots were a bit hit and miss with me. I think if they had threw some spats in there my mind would be changed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lostconfused posted:

The funniest part about this post is that this is actually, factually Treize's philosophy in Gundam Wing, to the point where he builds Epyon without any guns because giant robot sword fights are the most honorable form of combat.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Kanos posted:

The funniest part about this post is that this is actually, factually Treize's philosophy in Gundam Wing, to the point where he builds Epyon without any guns because giant robot sword fights are the most honorable form of combat.

Did he actually say that? I don't remember anything along those lines, but it's completely believable.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Viola the Mad posted:

Did he actually say that? I don't remember anything along those lines, but it's completely believable.

Why else would he build Epyon with no long-range weapons?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TaurusOxford posted:

It does fire off some head vulcans at one point I think when battling the Wing Zero, but I don't think those are even listed in the official stats or anything - it really does just have the mega beam saber, the whip and the shield. Even if it does have vulcans it's not like those are any real use in a mobile suit fight - just useful for clearing an area of jeeps and other nuisances I suppose.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

TaurusOxford posted:

Zechs' story in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 is all about him hunting down "dishonourable" funnel users.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Because it looks cool.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

tsob posted:

It does fire off some head vulcans at one point I think when battling the Wing Zero, but I don't think those are even listed in the official stats or anything - it really does just have the mega beam saber, the whip and the shield. Even if it does have vulcans it's not like those are any real use in a mobile suit fight - just useful for clearing an area of jeeps and other nuisances I suppose.

The theory behind the head vulcans are that it was either an animation error or Milliardo installed them before his fight with Wing Zero.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I always assumed it was an animation error, and was meant to be the Wing or something - but even if it was it still happened. I do like the Milliardo theory, but you'd think he'd have put something with a bit more oomph in if he was going to do that. Not a big deal either way really.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Viola the Mad posted:

I think when he gives it to Heero, he says that it's a suit built for dueling.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, where's that screengrab of that engaged couple offing each other in Victory? I always thought it was a perfect example of how hilariously contrived the show's attempts at tragedy could get.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah the whole thing was rather absurd

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm still completely floored by Usso actually getting a happy ending considering the relative body count and pointless tragedy count in Victory.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Should I watch Victory Gundam? It's supposed to be good, but everything I hear about it sounds relentlessly depressing.

Also it's supposed to be Tomino's Issues With Women: The Show. I'm not sure I can tolerate that. Reccoa's storyline alone dragged Zeta Gundam down several notches for me.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."

Viola the Mad posted:

Should I watch Victory Gundam? It's supposed to be good, but everything I hear about it sounds relentlessly depressing.

Also it's supposed to be Tomino's Issues With Women: The Show. I'm not sure I can tolerate that. Reccoa's storyline alone dragged Zeta Gundam down several notches for me.

It was weird how reccoa was such an awful stereotype, but was right alongside Emma who was probably the most level headed pilot on the show, and probably the most sensible female character tomino did until turn A.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Giant Enemy Cliche posted:

It was weird how reccoa was such an awful stereotype, but was right alongside Emma who was probably the most level headed pilot on the show, and probably the most sensible female character tomino did until turn A.

Too bad she died by doing the incredibly stupid thing of getting out of the Mark II for no reason.

Oh well she was still a good character.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Viola the Mad posted:

Victory isn't good, per se, but it does have some neat fight scenes and some entertainingly weird mech designs, and it provides some interesting context for Tomino's other work. Mostly in the sense of 'oh, so that's why that female character was kind of off', but there you go.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Not so much depressing as it is just ridiculous. Overblown, melodramatic, and painfully predictable deaths happening with such frequency that they basically turn into a running gag. You know, if they weren't before Victory.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
So help me, a few days ago I decided to listen to the first Gundam Wing theme on a whim...and it's been stuck in my head ever since.

I also recently had a chance to watch the 'remastered' version of the first MSG movie (the one they did in 2000-something). I thought the new sound effects were really cheap and didn't have near the charm of the originals.

...maybe I just like retro-anime SFX too much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Old school mecha sound effects loving owned though. If I could get a rar file of all the KAJUNGGGG and VREEEWWWWW and BZOW sound effects from the various Gundams and poo poo, I'd use something like that as a ringtone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tooooooo bad posted:

Not so much depressing as it is just ridiculous. Overblown, melodramatic, and painfully predictable deaths happening with such frequency that they basically turn into a running gag. You know, if they weren't before Victory.

They introduce several characters simply to kill them off in the most pointless ways possible to play for pathos. It's really great. Looking at you, Shrike Team.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Captain Invictus posted:

Old school mecha sound effects loving owned though. If I could get a rar file of all the KAJUNGGGG and VREEEWWWWW and BZOW sound effects from the various Gundams and poo poo, I'd use something like that as a ringtone.

I can't remember if I got this from SA or from /m/, but I've actually got those exact things right here. I'm going to go out on a limb and hope that sounds ripped from an old out of print japanese gundam typing game don't count as :filez:.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kanos posted:

They introduce several characters simply to kill them off in the most pointless ways possible to play for pathos. It's really great. Looking at you, Shrike Team.

And now I understand why those three female pilots from ORB exist, and why they get killed in the last episode of SEED. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Red Bones posted:

I can't remember if I got this from SA or from /m/, but I've actually got those exact things right here. I'm going to go out on a limb and hope that sounds ripped from an old out of print japanese gundam typing game don't count as :filez:.

Char posted:

I'll show you the efficiency of a Microsoft OS!

Ahaha oh god yes :allears:

Thank you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Red Bones posted:

Would you happen to have this hosted on a filesharing site that doesn't require signing up to download it? Mediafire or something maybe?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Would you happen to have this hosted on a filesharing site that doesn't require signing up to download it? Mediafire or something maybe?

Here. I didn't even realise it had all that goofy computer dialogue on it, I listened to the first bit of dialogue and ignored the rest because it wasn't in english. I wish I could understand japanese, char telling me every time I received an email would be magical.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Red Bones posted:

Here. I didn't even realise it had all that goofy computer dialogue on it, I listened to the first bit of dialogue and ignored the rest because it wasn't in english. I wish I could understand japanese, char telling me every time I received an email would be magical.

Thanks a bunch man!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Azran posted:

And now I understand why those three female pilots from ORB exist, and why they get killed in the last episode of SEED. :v:
They have more presence in SEED and Astray and actually do stuff in their series, particularly in Astray. The Shrike Team literally exists so Tomino can kill off female characters in stupid ways in his magnum opus on how to mentally damage a 13-year-old boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Azran posted:

Which still pisses me off because I enjoyed what little antics of theirs I got to see. Also it was the second to last episode. :goonsay:

• Locked thread