Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Ok, which of you is responsible for this?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gerold-Darkstar-Dayne/349218085161737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Fantastic, strangely reminiscent of Omar Borkan Al Gala's facebook. Now that I think about it Omar would be perfect for Darkstar considering his fascination with dark eyeliner and being handsome enough to get deported.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Crossposting from the main ASoIaF thread, for those that only read this thread. I just finished a reread of ADWD and have some observations about the book.

• Arya's chapters in this book are actually very good, and occasionally even touch on something profound (this also goes for Bran's third chapter). I don't know why I didn't enjoy her chapters the first time around.

• The best POV characters left at this point are, by some distance, Cersei, Barristan and Victarion. Their chapters are always, uniformly great and it is a good sign that two of the three (Barry and Vic) already seem to be getting a major focus in TWOW, going by the pre-released chapters from that book. With Victarion especially you can really tell that GRRM enjoys writing his chapters enormously, they give him a lot of new creative wind and inspiration.

• Out of the major three returning POV characters that were absent from AFFC, Tyrion's chapters are actually pretty decent and the best of the three. Dany's are very uneven and contain more bad material than good. And then there's Jon. Jon's storyline is the longest in the book with the most chapters devoted to it, and apart from some cool Mel/Stannis stuff in the beginning it is pretty much all terrible. At least four Jon chapters could/should have been cut out entirely and nothing of value or interest would have been lost. This storyline is where GRRM needed an editor the most. Though I can see Tormund Giantsbane becoming a fan favorite character on the show. He's pretty funny.

• The best single chapter in the book, a legitimate masterclass in action scene writing and tension building, is Theon and Jeyne's escape from Winterfell. A bloodcurdling masterpiece.

• Other standout chapters besides those already mentioned are Davos's third (Davos treating with Wyman Manderly, this chapter is a must-read followup to the Red Wedding), Cersei's (the fallout from her AFFC storyline) and Victarion's. Victarion is just a wonderful character all around. Book dumb yet streetwise (and sagely hedging his bets between two gods), does not get jokes yet is himself the funniest character of them all, the biggest serial killer in the book and yet you can't help but root for him somehow. Pick Vic, Dany!

• Cersei's penance walk is probably the hardest read in the book, and that is saying something considering some of the stuff Theon, Tyrion, etc. go through. So harrowing.

• Quentyn Martell is dead. Conspiracy theories about him surviving his wounds and secretly getting swooped off back to Dorne or something are pretty silly. However, his final POV chapter with him trying to subjugate Rhaegal and Viserion is going to make for spectacular television when it gets adapted on the show.

• Jon Snow probably isn't dead after all, or if he is, that death scene really was conspicuously tame and seemingly nonlethal. Warging into Wun Wun at the last minute is the most likely escape clause if he really did die, ahead of warging into Ghost or Melisandre saving him. The bigger mystery lingering after his final chapter is who really wrote Ramsay's letter to him (Ramsay himself, Stannis, Mance...).

• The book really picks up steam and gets a lot more exciting, varied and humorous about two-thirds through once the part of the narrative running parallel to AFFC is done and it can really become its own thing.

• Jaime's chapter was so loving pointless and unnecessary. All it does is introduce even more factions and characters that you really can't ask your readers to start caring about five thousand pages into your epic saga, George. Get a hold of yourself with this poo poo. Brienne's betrayal that gets lazily dropped at the end of the chapter is the only thing of significance and could easily have been done elsewhere or later.

• Please write an entire book about Sothoros (the mysterious third continent of the world besides Westeros and Essos) and all the hosed up, murderous animals that inhabit its swamps and jungles, George.

• The innumerable, neverending food descriptions (as well as those of clothing, weapons, house sigils, etc.) in this book really are unbelievably excessive and ridiculous.

• Selyse Baratheon is insufferable and deserves to be shot out of a cannon, or ripped apart by Wun Wun like her knight Ser Patrek.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 29, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've only read ADWD the once, if I recall correctly, and I'm just starting on it again but I always thought Reek had by far and away the strongest arc in the book.
Barry Stan's take over of Meereen almost immediately fixed the arc's stiltedness and allowed it to move and get poo poo done without any of the *~*Daario*~* nonsense.
The only parts of Jon's arc that I really remember are him dealing with Janos Slynt, which is unfortunately at the end of a recap chapter and his death. I don't think his stuff as ever been much good though.
I think Jaime's chapter is probably only in there so that people can't say there was no Jaime in the book. He's my favourite character and I'd be disappointed without him, but from what I remember, his chapter is definitely pointless.

I'm looking forward to Stannis' parts of TWOW more than anything, I think.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Aurain posted:

I've only read ADWD the once, if I recall correctly, and I'm just starting on it again but I always thought Reek had by far and away the strongest arc in the book.

It definitely isn't bad, but gets so over-the-top violent and nihilistic at times that it started to wear on me. That's one of the easiest and laziest genres to write in so I was more impressed with some of the other stuff in the book, where GRRM stretches and challenges himself more.

Aurain posted:

I think Jaime's chapter is probably only in there so that people can't say there was no Jaime in the book. He's my favourite character and I'd be disappointed without him, but from what I remember, his chapter is definitely pointless.

Yeah, that would be a good explanation for why it's in there, actually.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
So I went to a Game of Thrones trivia night yesterday at my University bar. Our team (full of nerdy book readers) came about 40th out of 80-something teams. I wanted to call us "Robb dies next episode" and spoil however many showatchers there were in the ~500 person audience but we changed to "Cersei's Cunts" last second. I saw a dude in a fedora and a trenchcoat, which of you was it?

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Joramun posted:

[*]Jon Snow probably isn't dead after all, or if he is, that death scene really was conspicuously tame and seemingly nonlethal. Warging into Wun Wun at the last minute is the most likely escape clause if he really did die, ahead of warging into Ghost or Melisandre saving him. The bigger mystery lingering after his final chapter is who really wrote Ramsay's letter to him (Ramsay himself, Stannis, Mance...).

I really don't see how it can be anybody else but Ramsay. It would be out of character for Stannis and what exactly would he have to gain from it. Mance was in Winterfell surrounded by Northmen, at least one of the spearwives was killed in the escape and everybody knows that they were with "Abel". He is most definitely captured. Some stuff from the letter are probably lies, like Stannis death. Jon is one of the few people who could tell that FakeArya is dead and the northern Lords would believe him. So provoking him into attacking and then killing him before that is the smartest thing Ramsay and Roose can do.

I Love Loosies fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 29, 2013

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joramun posted:

Crossposting from the main ASoIaF thread, for those that only read this thread. I just finished a reread of ADWD and have some observations about the book.

• Arya's chapters in this book are actually very good, and occasionally even touch on something profound (this also goes for Bran's third chapter). I don't know why I didn't enjoy her chapters the first time around.

• The best POV characters left at this point are, by some distance, Cersei, Barristan and Victarion. Their chapters are always, uniformly great and it is a good sign that two of the three (Barry and Vic) already seem to be getting a major focus in TWOW, going by the pre-released chapters from that book. With Victarion especially you can really tell that GRRM enjoys writing his chapters enormously, they give him a lot of new creative wind and inspiration.

• Out of the major three returning POV characters that were absent from AFFC, Tyrion's chapters are actually pretty decent and the best of the three. Dany's are very uneven and contain more bad material than good. And then there's Jon. Jon's storyline is the longest in the book with the most chapters devoted to it, and apart from some cool Mel/Stannis stuff in the beginning it is pretty much all terrible. At least four Jon chapters could/should have been cut out entirely and nothing of value or interest would have been lost. This storyline is where GRRM needed an editor the most. Though I can see Tormund Giantsbane becoming a fan favorite character on the show. He's pretty funny.

• The best single chapter in the book, a legitimate masterclass in action scene writing and tension building, is Theon and Jeyne's escape from Winterfell. A bloodcurdling masterpiece.

• Other standout chapters besides those already mentioned are Davos's third (Davos treating with Wyman Manderly, this chapter is a must-read followup to the Red Wedding), Cersei's (the fallout from her AFFC storyline) and Victarion's. Victarion is just a wonderful character all around. Book dumb yet streetwise (and sagely hedging his bets between two gods), does not get jokes yet is himself the funniest character of them all, the biggest serial killer in the book and yet you can't help but root for him somehow. Pick Vic, Dany!

• Cersei's penance walk is probably the hardest read in the book, and that is saying something considering some of the stuff Theon, Tyrion, etc. go through. So harrowing.

• Quentyn Martell is dead. Conspiracy theories about him surviving his wounds and secretly getting swooped off back to Dorne or something are pretty silly. However, his final POV chapter with him trying to subjugate Rhaegal and Viserion is going to make for spectacular television when it gets adapted on the show.

• Jon Snow probably isn't dead after all, or if he is, that death scene really was conspicuously tame and seemingly nonlethal. Warging into Wun Wun at the last minute is the most likely escape clause if he really did die, ahead of warging into Ghost or Melisandre saving him. The bigger mystery lingering after his final chapter is who really wrote Ramsay's letter to him (Ramsay himself, Stannis, Mance...).

• The book really picks up steam and gets a lot more exciting, varied and humorous about two-thirds through once the part of the narrative running parallel to AFFC is done and it can really become its own thing.

• Jaime's chapter was so loving pointless and unnecessary. All it does is introduce even more factions and characters that you really can't ask your readers to start caring about five thousand pages into your epic saga, George. Get a hold of yourself with this poo poo. Brienne's betrayal that gets lazily dropped at the end of the chapter is the only thing of significance and could easily have been done elsewhere or later.

• Please write an entire book about Sothoros (the mysterious third continent of the world besides Westeros and Essos) and all the hosed up, murderous animals that inhabit its swamps and jungles, George.

• The innumerable, neverending food descriptions (as well as those of clothing, weapons, house sigils, etc.) in this book really are unbelievably excessive and ridiculous.

• Selyse Baratheon is insufferable and deserves to be shot out of a cannon, or ripped apart by Wun Wun like her knight Ser Patrek.

Disagree

The Mutato posted:

So I went to a Game of Thrones trivia night yesterday at my University bar. Our team (full of nerdy book readers) came about 40th out of 80-something teams.

How in the hells did this happen?! Were they asking you to alphabetically spell House names or something?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 29, 2013

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
I don't think Ramsay would write Bastard because of how much Theon/Reek feared calling him that. But who loved to call Jon "bastard"? Mance.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Hunky Joe posted:

I don't think Ramsay would write Bastard because of how much Theon/Reek feared calling him that. But who loved to call Jon "bastard"? Mance.

I haven't actually read the chapter, but I remember this being the conclusion most people agreed on at the time it was released.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Shageletic posted:

How in the hells did this happen?! Were they asking you to alphabetically spell House names or something?

He's in Australia; if they had an aborigine on their team, they automatically wind up further back in the queue than the all-white teams.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Shageletic posted:

Disagree

No loving clue man, we got 100% in the first round, thought we got 100% in the next one, then tripped up a bit in the third one. Questions we hosed up that I remember were "Who leads Robb's van, and who objects to this?" It was Glover/Umber, but we tripped up and said Bolton/Karstark. "Who are the houses of the Tully bannermen Catelyn recruits to arrest Tyrion?" Knew Went and Frey, but no clue what the third was. Finally what animals does Stannis eat during the seige, and in what order. Forgot cats damnit. I think there were a lot of teams bunched up the top.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Mutato posted:

So I went to a Game of Thrones trivia night yesterday at my University bar. Our team (full of nerdy book readers) came about 40th out of 80-something teams. I wanted to call us "Robb dies next episode" and spoil however many showatchers there were in the ~500 person audience but we changed to "Cersei's Cunts" last second. I saw a dude in a fedora and a trenchcoat, which of you was it?

If you're looking for who the goon was, it was you. You're the goon. :aaaaa:

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Actually the dude from Axis of Awesome was there too... so at least 2 goons.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Mutato posted:

No loving clue man, we got 100% in the first round, thought we got 100% in the next one, then tripped up a bit in the third one. Questions we hosed up that I remember were "Who leads Robb's van, and who objects to this?" It was Glover/Umber, but we tripped up and said Bolton/Karstark. "Who are the houses of the Tully bannermen Catelyn recruits to arrest Tyrion?" Knew Went and Frey, but no clue what the third was. Finally what animals does Stannis eat during the seige, and in what order. Forgot cats damnit. I think there were a lot of teams bunched up the top.

Jesus. I'm having trouble remembering who the main characters were in the last book. Thank heaven for small favors.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm gonna guess that the tie-breaker question, if needed, was list all the Freys in order of succession.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

The Mutato posted:

Yeah I wouldn't have gotten any of those. I'm oddly... relieved.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

quote:

Jaime's chapter was so loving pointless and unnecessary. All it does is introduce even more factions and characters that you really can't ask your readers to start caring about five thousand pages into your epic saga, George. Get a hold of yourself with this poo poo. Brienne's betrayal that gets lazily dropped at the end of the chapter is the only thing of significance and could easily have been done elsewhere or later.

If I thought those factions and characters were meant to have any significance other than background fluff I would agree more strongly. The entire Bracken-Blackwood thing is there so George can have the kid give the speech about how the Bracken and the Blackwoods are the same family intermarried over and over except for when they decide to feud every twenty years. You know, in case we forgot that feudalism was bad and Westeros is terrible. As it is, it's more "Jaimie Lannister consents to play politics the way he refused to all his life and also there's Brienne."

The interesting part is that with the politics and the snark and the double dealing, it almost feels like a Tyrion chapter.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
That is some of the most vague trivia about unimportant things.

Were other questions like "Name the boats at the Blackwater that Stannis had under his command? Bonus for if you can name them in order if appearance and tell how many men were on each vessel!"
Or "What does Ned eat in the first book?"

Tie-breaker: When is Winds of Winter coming out?

Hint: Never.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tie-breaker-breaker: What sexual assault charge will they finally nail GRRM with and which actor will be the one pressing charges?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
My mum's birthday just passed and she asked me to make her a lemon cake as it is her favorite kind of cake. I hate you guys and GRRM for ruining that. :saddowns:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Aurain posted:

Tie-breaker-breaker: What sexual assault charge will they finally nail GRRM with and which actor will be the one pressing charges?

Trick question: class action lawsuit from all of the female cast (and the actor that plays Rickon).

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Strife posted:

(and the actor that plays Rickon).

Who?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

nutranurse posted:

My mum's birthday just passed and she asked me to make her a lemon cake as it is her favorite kind of cake. I hate you guys and GRRM for ruining that. :saddowns:

I read that as your mom just passed and I assumed it was some kind of zombie Cat joke

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think he's one of the direwolves.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Strife posted:

Trick question: class action lawsuit from all of the female cast (and the actor that plays Rickon).

Don't forget Cheese Guy.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

I think he's one of the direwolves.

Ah right, yeah he should totally press charges for sexual assault.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

In a moment of :spergin: I came to this jarring and infuriating question, why the hell is someone in fantasy Spain named Archibald?

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!
Because the Spanish variant, Archibaldo, would sound silly.

E: :spergin:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aurubin posted:

In a moment of :spergin: I came to this jarring and infuriating question, why the hell is someone in fantasy Spain named Archibald?

Just be glad there aren't an abundance of names with random apostrophes in them.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

IRQ posted:

Just be glad there aren't an abundance of names with random apostrophes in them.

I'll remember that next time I am reading about Prendahl na Ghezn, Hazrak zo Loraq, Hizdahr zo Loraq, Oznak zo Pahl, Reznak mo Reznak, Mollono Yos Dob, Skahaz mo Kandaq, Bhakaz zo Loraq, Grazdan zo Galare, Zharaq zo Loraq, Marghaz zo Loraq and Mazdhan zo Loraq.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
gently caress Meereen, am I right guys??

*drops mic, drops trousers, shits on ground*

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Mutato posted:

I'll remember that next time I am reading about Prendahl na Ghezn, Hazrak zo Loraq, Hizdahr zo Loraq, Oznak zo Pahl, Reznak mo Reznak, Mollono Yos Dob, Skahaz mo Kandaq, Bhakaz zo Loraq, Grazdan zo Galare, Zharaq zo Loraq, Marghaz zo Loraq and Mazdhan zo Loraq.

Doo Wop Doo Wop Doo Wop (Shamlamadingdong)

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

mind the walrus posted:

Doo Wop Doo Wop Doo Wop (Shamlamadingdong)

Racist.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Walk like a (fantasy) Egyptian and get your rear end roasted by some dragons y'all.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Here I Go, Down The Slope, Zip Zop Zoopity Zop!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Spot the racial slur!

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

If you want a quick preview of the babby thread post-Wedding, check out the commentary from this blog from Tor about reading through the series right as he finished that chapter.

quote:

loving hell.

loving HELL.

loving HELL, WHAT THE loving gently caress WAS THAT loving poo poo??

gently caress.

gently caress!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
59 hours and 42 minutes until Robb, Catelyn, and half the Stark army eats poo poo on TV.

I still say the only way to end the episode is book-style with Arya catching Sandor's axe with her head and leaving that poo poo dangling until season 4 ep 2 or 3.

I know the show doesn't have the slightest inkling of balls to do it, but goddamn I want to see TVIV just completely melt the gently caress down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Gentlegoons, I believe we're near peak merchandising for Game of Thrones.

Wonder when they'll introduce house sigil condoms?

Season 3 should end with a five-minute shot of Joffrey sitting on the iron throne staring at the camera looking as smug as possible.