Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Here is a thing for wolpertinger: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmnsovxp0LkbvVxomM

After that: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmnsovgp0xkbofvVxomM

I'd probably either head for Pain Transmission or get more Cab things after that.

Or inq/def: http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmrsfV0Vgdvxp0Lkb

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

If there is anyone on who can toss an invite to Average, that would be great!!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
A PSA For Defilers:

Do cast bonds on bosses pre-pull (they're like radiant spores they don't generate threat). Don't cast Sacrifice Life: Planar Charge with bonds on bosses. This is a not hilarious way to pull bosses. That is all.

(Also apparently warlord tanking generates too much aggro. I don't know the details but it was some awful awful shenanigans)

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
Does saboteur see any use in lategame? Can I at least eke out a relatively good leveling spec from it? I'm just starting out and I love sticking bombs all over dudes but it seems a little finicky for the damage output (at least at the moment, haven't got the AE charges yet). I have to say though, getting the ability to attach 5 charges without aggro is pretty hilarious.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
If you wanna sab it up just do some PvP :v:

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
invited

navier-stoked fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 31, 2013

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009

Zoness posted:

A PSA For Defilers:

Do cast bonds on bosses pre-pull (they're like radiant spores they don't generate threat). Don't cast Sacrifice Life: Planar Charge with bonds on bosses. This is a not hilarious way to pull bosses. That is all.

(Also apparently warlord tanking generates too much aggro. I don't know the details but it was some awful awful shenanigans)

Ah, so that's how you pulled Gelidra. Also, last night was terrible even without Smoked's threat fuckery.

Keylis
Dec 3, 2010
Can I get an invite on Muven.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
Sorry to contribute again to the invite pile, but I didn't know invites were character-based. Could I get "Horridlittlething" and "Yoloswagbro" into the guild? Thanks!

p0bot
May 1, 2003

Gonna try to figure all this junk out again after being gone for a while...can I get an invite for "Stuck"?

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Whats the best way for a new player to start playing without installing the raptor spyware thing? There is a 7$ copy at amazon.

res0
Nov 19, 2004

BYOB: AIDS slut techno party 1993
Character name: Asm

edit: and Wootabega

res0 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 31, 2013

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
guild invites should be caught up to this post

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
character: Marjolaine

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think I've gotten the hang of this. I'm Hideous in game, looking for an invite.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Smith Comma John posted:

Does saboteur see any use in lategame? Can I at least eke out a relatively good leveling spec from it? I'm just starting out and I love sticking bombs all over dudes but it seems a little finicky for the damage output (at least at the moment, haven't got the AE charges yet). I have to say though, getting the ability to attach 5 charges without aggro is pretty hilarious.

Saboteur is hilarious for onslaught farming in Pelladane. Does huge damage to groups of mobs and you can kill off a unsuspecting member of your raid or party every 30 seconds with the incriminate skill. I use one spam macro and a button for detonate which you only press once every 15 seconds or so. Just try not to kill off the passive healers in your group since the build has no survivabilty at all and you need the constant healing of the chloromancers, bards, and justicars to keep you alive.

The macro:
cast carpet bombing
cast annihilation bomb
cast cloud maker
cast fragmentation bomb
cast time bomb
cast splinter bomb
cast embers bomb
cast rapid setup
cast caltrop charge

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
http://forums.riftgame.com/public-test-shard/360742-pts-update-2-3-patch-notes-round-1-a.html

The first round of patch updates for the PTS are out. Big news: they finally made Guardian players able to get the books they missed in the starting zone!

A few other ideas I found interesting:

quote:

* Porticulum masters in all zones except Meridian & Sanctum can now be used by both factions. The guards in the towns might still hate you though, watch out!

* Most Carnage quests now require fewer kills by 20-25%. If your current progress exceeds the new totals the quest will be autocompleted for you.

* New achievements can be earned by owning dimensions and by placing a certain number of dimension items.

* You can now preview the item that will be crafted from recipes!

William Bear fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 31, 2013

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I forgot how fun Rift is. I played a ton in open beta, leveling 4 characters to 20ish each, then bought the game with a 6-month sub and proceeded to play less than an hour of it during those 6 months post-launch. I was surprised at how many players I've seen wandering around in the newbie zones, though. The population, compared to GW2 where NOBODY exists outside of the major cities, WvW, and areas that are brand new and temporary for a month, is pretty damned good to see, even though the devs appear to have made Rifts soloable, a change from launch state. Also, the way you can get a Storm Legions key for doing nothing but idling with the client open via Raptr is such a saving grace, considering Trion expects people to invest money in SL for the classes, even after F2P launches. Ridiculous.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Someone in the patch note thread mentioned FIFTY NEW MACRO SLOTS. This is the best day ever.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Apoplexy posted:

I forgot how fun Rift is. I played a ton in open beta, leveling 4 characters to 20ish each, then bought the game with a 6-month sub and proceeded to play less than an hour of it during those 6 months post-launch. I was surprised at how many players I've seen wandering around in the newbie zones, though. The population, compared to GW2 where NOBODY exists outside of the major cities, WvW, and areas that are brand new and temporary for a month, is pretty damned good to see, even though the devs appear to have made Rifts soloable, a change from launch state. Also, the way you can get a Storm Legions key for doing nothing but idling with the client open via Raptr is such a saving grace, considering Trion expects people to invest money in SL for the classes, even after F2P launches. Ridiculous.

I think there have always been soloable minor rifts. There are still random major rifts sometimes that you probably won't want to solo, if only because it would take a long time to whittle down the mobs. Keep an eye out for elite mobs at your rifts, or if you mouse over them in the map it will tell you whether they are major or minor.

tamphex
Jun 21, 2003
I still can't kill the hellbug at the end of those particular rifts (51 cleric), yet whenever I see one I can't help but try.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

tamphex posted:

I still can't kill the hellbug at the end of those particular rifts (51 cleric), yet whenever I see one I can't help but try.

Interrupt the thing it casts. If you don't, it puts on a giant absorb shield.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iuvian posted:

Whats the best way for a new player to start playing without installing the raptor spyware thing? There is a 7$ copy at amazon.
You can play for free until level 20 with a few limitations and then the game will be totally free as of 12th June. Just make an account on the website and it'll let you download the game.

Note that there are a few small permanent benefits for people who own the game prior to it going free: additional character slots, additional bag slots, and an additional soul ("talent tree") unlocked for each calling ("class"). See this page.

In terms of Razr you can install it for 1-2 days, leave the Rift client running (doesn't matter if you are logged in), get the free game, and the uninstall the dumb Razr thing and never use it again. That's what I did.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 31, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well I know the first thing I am spending credits on:

Also Zoness it looks like the token boost no longer applies to frozen eclipse stones. So pro raiders will no longer have to sell their plasma.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Kreczor posted:

Umm excuse me I helped too. Remember? I had to earlier than normal last night because my connection kept dropping but I should be on all day today after 11am EST (Maybe 11:30?) so if you want to queue we can do it then.

I really need to start a tanking set. It would make gearing so much faster.

Edit: Wait, you're Kesi right? I hope I'm right or I'll sound ridiculous.

Yeah that's me. :coal:

I need some advice from peoples because Google is of little help. I pugged TODQ just now, and won this at the end:

So, uh, how do I go about building a super-awesome bow out of this? Which bosses from EE and FT do I need, specifically?

tamphex
Jun 21, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Interrupt the thing it casts. If you don't, it puts on a giant absorb shield.

Ah, so that's where I was going wrong. I wondered why I was hardly leaving a scratch on that bug bastard. Thanks for the heads up.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009

Keshik posted:

Yeah that's me. :coal:

I need some advice from peoples because Google is of little help. I pugged TODQ just now, and won this at the end:

So, uh, how do I go about building a super-awesome bow out of this? Which bosses from EE and FT do I need, specifically?

You'll need to kill the first boss of Endless Eclipse and the mini-boss after the first boss of Frozen Tempest.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Oh, awesome! It came from the final boss of ToDQ, so I was worried it would be the finals of the others as well.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

Well I know the first thing I am spending credits on:

Also Zoness it looks like the token boost no longer applies to frozen eclipse stones. So pro raiders will no longer have to sell their plasma.

Where'd you find this? Got links to more new store stuff?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

That's a really bizarre implementation actually. I was under the impression that it would apply only to frozen eclipse stones to help people catch up to tier 2 assuming a new currency would roll out (which I'm all for). Maybe when 2.3 rolls out it will apply to tier 1 currency?

And still no real inquisitor changes :sigh:

The Beacon of Despair QoL change is nice though!

quote:

* Companion pets can no longer be attacked by other players during a duel.

WHAT THE HECK.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 31, 2013

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
How is the state of PvP? Is it unbalanced, and can I gear up for PvP by playing PvP? If it is just something on the side that no one takes seriously I'll still play again for the PvE, I just miss having an MMO with good PvP. Don't think I've had that since WoW season 2/3 arena in TBC.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Meta Ridley posted:

How is the state of PvP? Is it unbalanced, and can I gear up for PvP by playing PvP? If it is just something on the side that no one takes seriously I'll still play again for the PvE, I just miss having an MMO with good PvP. Don't think I've had that since WoW season 2/3 arena in TBC.

The only way to get PvP gear is to PvP. It's decently balanced to the point where 90% of the time you'll do well by being good rather than running a particular spec (or at least I like to pretend I'm not bad at PvP). Every class has multiple viable roles too!

Also if you don't have PvP gear the game will give you baseline valor but IIRC your vengeance will be lower than it could be.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
:circlefap: Expert Dungeon Daily now gives 783,000 Alternate Advancement XP. :circlefap:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
So what is up with the gear and stat scaling when it comes to mentoring for dungeons? I queued up for a standard pre 50 dungeon at level 55 on my rogue to get used to running a full rift stalker build before hitting 60 and i was getting my rear end handed to me by pretty much every trash pull. Do i need to be in epic level tanking gear equivalent to level 55 to be able to mitigate damage decently at level 46? Back when i played before i ran all the expert dungeons just fine but after wiping a few times on trash pulls in standard lantern hook has me scratching my head. Im pretty sure the healer in the group would've rather had an actual level 46 in green gear since his stats would probably be higher than my mentored rear end.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Beach Party posted:

So what is up with the gear and stat scaling when it comes to mentoring for dungeons? I queued up for a standard pre 50 dungeon at level 55 on my rogue to get used to running a full rift stalker build before hitting 60 and i was getting my rear end handed to me by pretty much every trash pull. Do i need to be in epic level tanking gear equivalent to level 55 to be able to mitigate damage decently at level 46? Back when i played before i ran all the expert dungeons just fine but after wiping a few times on trash pulls in standard lantern hook has me scratching my head. Im pretty sure the healer in the group would've rather had an actual level 46 in green gear since his stats would probably be higher than my mentored rear end.

Mentoring to sub-50 is kinda borked. What you should do is manually queue for those dungeons (I recommend Abyssal Precipice, Charmer's Caldera and Caduceus Rise) and you'll be at 55 tanking for a level 48-50 group. It won't be perfect training but at least you'll know where your abilities are. Then after you're comfortable with your run manually queue for storm and eventually move up to your current level dungeons.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
I'm probably going to pick this back up in a couple of days before that Raptr deal goes out, and before it goes F2P to get ahead of the free player rush.

That being said, I'm utterly burnt out on themepark questing. How are the queue times as a tank or healer in less-than-max level dungeons? Specifically during off-peak hours.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Kirtan posted:

Where'd you find this? Got links to more new store stuff?

Uh, you can see them in the store on the PTS. They have added a ton of new costume stuff, and combine that with having easy access to any armor in the game. That Salvarola helm is odd in that it's just a helm and shoulders instead of being a complete outfit.

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 31, 2013

Kawakami
Jul 18, 2005
Would appreciate an invite when possible: Dmia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirtan
May 17, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

Uh, you can see them in the store on the PTS. They have added a ton of new costume stuff, and combine that with having easy access to any armor in the game. That Salvarola helm is odd in that it's just a helm and shoulders instead of being a complete outfit.

Ah. Wasn't sure if there was a repository of images of the costume pieces out there. I haven't gotten onto the PTS yet.

• Locked thread