Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

echoMateria posted:

What's the opinion on Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia? Have you backed it, should I back it, why?

Looked into backing it and decided not to; I wasn't really grabbed by the game after watching that rules video. It does seem thoughtfully designed and I would love a chance to try it, but I think what it caters to would overlap too much with other games in my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Is there, anywhere, a list of Android versions of designer boardgames?

BGG has a list, but it's full of trash like Ludo and 10-in-1 dice games, and scoring apps for designer games.

Is there anywhere a compiled, straightforward list of the Android versions of the games we talk about in this thread?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

EddieDean posted:

Is there, anywhere, a list of Android versions of designer boardgames?

BGG has a list, but it's full of trash like Ludo and 10-in-1 dice games, and scoring apps for designer games.

Is there anywhere a compiled, straightforward list of the Android versions of the games we talk about in this thread?

They pretty much don't exist. Buy an iPad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yeah, Android's pretty screwed as far as board games go, though there's also implementations of a few games iOS doesn't really have, like Dominion and San Juan.

Other than that, there's Catan, Carcassonne, Elder Signs, Neuroshima Hex, and...that's it?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, Android's pretty screwed as far as board games go, though there's also implementations of a few games iOS doesn't really have, like Dominion and San Juan.

Other than that, there's Catan, Carcassonne, Elder Signs, Neuroshima Hex, and...that's it?

San Juan is on iOS

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/san-juan/id513228980?mt=8

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's got Tichu, at least (iOS does too but I like the Android version better).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Colon V posted:

After Boss Monster turned out to be a flop, I'm glad to hear at least one of the Kickstarters I wanted to support but couldn't did well.

Boss Monster is considered a flop?

It's final product is shipping very soon (just waiting for the overseas delivery and clearing customs stuff), and it's got presence in recent GTMs due to it hitting retail distributors soon as well. Did you just mean re: gameplay? I got one of their gamecrafter.com prototypes via the KS and thought it was a fine game, and they have expansions and stuff already in the works.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Merauder posted:

Boss Monster is considered a flop?

It's final product is shipping very soon (just waiting for the overseas delivery and clearing customs stuff), and it's got presence in recent GTMs due to it hitting retail distributors soon as well. Did you just mean re: gameplay? I got one of their gamecrafter.com prototypes via the KS and thought it was a fine game, and they have expansions and stuff already in the works.

Yeah, I was confused by this too. Some people said the gameplay video was a little lackluster, and it HAS been delayed for a while, but I can't really see calling something a flop before it even ships.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Just watched the Shut Up & Sit Down review of Twilight Imperium and now I want it even though I will never ever ever play it.

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
Tigris & Euphrates is on Android. It's a direct port of the iOS version so it's got black borders but it does the job.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

How is the game when Tunnels are used? Does it still have those elements? And have you tried SmallWorld Realms? Does it add any variation other than maps?

I've used literally every expansion except the ones you've listed there, unfortunately :shobon: (oh yeah and the Necromancer's Island)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Hey That's My Fish is on Android.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Regarding Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia

SilverMike posted:

Looked into backing it and decided not to; I wasn't really grabbed by the game after watching that rules video. It does seem thoughtfully designed and I would love a chance to try it, but I think what it caters to would overlap too much with other games in my collection.
Good point! After watching that Critical Preview they linked on the Kickstarter page I understand what you mean. It definitely looks interesting but when I imagine having it aside the other worker placement games we already have here, I don't see it getting to the table enough to earn its keep.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Just watched the Shut Up & Sit Down review of Twilight Imperium and now I want it even though I will never ever ever play it.

There is a monthly meetup group for this game where I live :smug:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

There's a PbP game that's trying to get started. If you want to jump in for your first game, you should do it. I don't know how experienced the group is going to be.

There will also be one race that will be controlled by the Goon Hivemind.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551570

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, I was confused by this too. Some people said the gameplay video was a little lackluster, and it HAS been delayed for a while, but I can't really see calling something a flop before it even ships.

They released the whole game as a print and play to people who bought it. Sure there's a lot of gimmick in the box itself and some of the rewards but those won't change the core gameplay which had some issues.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I am in the same boat and have been lamenting the fact that my friends are all casual scrubs who are down with Space Alert or Catan but would turn down Twilight Imperium on sight for being too complex/too long.

InvadErGII
May 29, 2008
I played TI3 for the first time last weekend, after having similar reservations. It is absolutely worth the investment (and my 6 hour game certainly didn't feel like one), though it's definitely tough to get enough people with enough time and enough space and so on. When the stars align, though, it's absolutely a go-to choice.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

InvadErGII posted:

I played TI3 for the first time last weekend, after having similar reservations. It is absolutely worth the investment (and my 6 hour game certainly didn't feel like one), though it's definitely tough to get enough people with enough time and enough space and so on. When the stars align, though, it's absolutely a go-to choice.

Or get enough friends who are into heavy boardgames and do a year-long game a month tourney. We're currently in a bit of a bind finding a day in June, we'll probably have to take time off work again. Living in Belgium means we've got plenty of vacations days, so it's not a real waste!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Playing Game of Thrones: The Board Game for the first time this Saturday, first time for everyone including me. I'll be teaching the rules first. Anything I should know that people often get wrong?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Malloreon posted:

Anything I should know that people often get wrong?
It's only a game.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Malloreon posted:

Playing Game of Thrones: The Board Game for the first time this Saturday, first time for everyone including me. I'll be teaching the rules first. Anything I should know that people often get wrong?

Watch a couple video tutorials. The rules around naval deployment and ports especially can be very vague and convoluted. Beyond that, I would suggest either removing the tides of war deck or culling it down to +1, -1 and effects only, as it makes the Valyrian steel useless otherwise. You may wish to also seed the Westeros decks - space the mustering and supply cards through the deck - as it can make for some very static games if they are all at the beginning or end of the deck.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Malloreon posted:

I don't know if these are all common mistakes or not, but off the top of my head...

-Boats do not require a port to build. Any castle/stronghold that isn't land locked can muster them.
-When using the "consolidate" power, you get one influence for each printed crown on the territory plus one for the order itself
-Players are allowed to look at each other hands before picking commanders.
-If someone gets 7 castles/strongholds the game ends immediately. They do not have to hold them until the end of the turn.

Also, please please please tell me you're playing with at least five people.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Malloreon posted:

If you want to win, pick Baratheon. If you dont pick Baratheon, make sure people know that if they dont gang up on baratheon, they will win.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TouchToneDialing posted:

If you want to win, pick Baratheon. If you dont pick Baratheon, make sure people know that if they dont gang up on baratheon, they will win.

Really this is only true if you're playing unmodded 4-player. If you're claiming this after a six-player game then it just means Baratheon happened to beat you and you're blaming it on imba.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Iv only played it unmodded 4-player. What expansion fixes it?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

TouchToneDialing posted:

Iv only played it unmodded 4-player. What expansion fixes it?

The whole swath of neutral castles at the bottom of the map, ripe for Baratheon's taking, are what imbalances it. You can either play with a modded print-and-play map designed for four players, or just play six players, or house-rule that all the spots with the little defense tokens are impassible (except King's Landing and the Eyrie).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I also played my first game of GoT, 1st edition, as Baratheon and won by turn 6. We literally only had one muster/recruit/whatever card so the green guy was completely starved and Lannister didn't take that little black island until after the card came up. Stark obviously south unhindered but not before I moved a bunch of boats into the Narrow Sea and took over King's Landing and The Eyrie back to back. I didn't even touch the northern lands at all, I won with Dragonstone, Storm's End, The Reach, King's Landing, Crackclaw Point, Harrenhal, and The Eyrie.

I think the game is an okay alternative to classic Diplomacy but it really needs 6. I don't like Ironman's Bay being a neutral territory that's practically free for Lannister to grab immediately. I also don't like the random nature that troops are created. The green guys (sorry, don't know all the house names) seem to be at the biggest disadvantage despite starting out with the greatest military because their loving capital is open on like 8 different fronts. Starting out with the sword makes taking The Reach difficult as Baratheon but Lannister will probably harass the green dudes as well so I just waltzed into The Reach and then used my power with the throne to make sure the sword went to Stark who was in a position to attack absolutely no one for half the game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Thanks for the answers, and yeah, we'll be playing with a full 6. My plan was to randomly assign the houses.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
Before I pull the trigger on The Cave, what's the goon thoughts on it?

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Pfhreak posted:

Before I pull the trigger on The Cave, what's the goon thoughts on it?
After watching The Cave Gameplay Runthrough of rahdo, I added it to my shopping list. It looked more interesting and re-playable than K2 to me. But the list is long and I haven't got to grabbing it just yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What's the goon-mind's thoughts on Puzzle Strike? Both if it's worth it, and if I should get the original, or the stand-alone expansion? If it matters, I'm the only one of my group of friends who's played many deckbuilders.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Colon V posted:

What's the goon-mind's thoughts on Puzzle Strike? Both if it's worth it, and if I should get the original, or the stand-alone expansion? If it matters, I'm the only one of my group of friends who's played many deckbuilders.

It just came up in the thread maybe five, ten pages ago? Puzzle Strike is pretty much the best deckbuilder that isn't Dominion, but that's not saying a whole lot. It's arguably better with 2 then 3 or 4 (but it's not bad with 3 or 4). If it's your group's first deckbuilder I'd go with the base set, just because the majority of the chips and characters are more direct. A lot of the Shadows chips will leave new players wondering "how do I make this work and why bother?" but they're more satisfying once you start to get the hang of it.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I got to play Tigris and Euphrates followed by Lost Cities: The Board Game this Wednesday, both made by that Knizia doctor person.

T&E is a good game. I'm not sure I buy into Tekopo's claim that it's ultra-thematic, but I can agree that it has the most theme of any game as abstracted as T&E is. Then again, I've only played a few games of this one so far, so maybe the theme is something that's more recognizable after plays. As far as gameplay, it's a rock-solid abstract with a few twists that add flavor to what otherwise would of been an ultra dry, tile-laying euro.

And then I played Lost Cities: The Board Game. I only realized it was made by the same guy who made Tigris & Euphrates because of happenstance, for it definitely did not evoke any of the joys I got from T&E. The play of Lost Cities was incredibly drawn out for what is essentially an abstract, push-your-luck euro with a smidgen of thinking involved. I will say there was more strategy than I originally thought there was when the game first started, but aside from being a family-pleaser I really do not see much appeal in this one. Bleh.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
We had a good set of games tonight. With 6 people we started with Coup and 7 Wonders then split so four played Citadels and two played Neuroshima Hex on an iPad. NH plays really well with an iPad on a table, its basically full size, so it feels just like the board game but simpler. Also I recommend trying 2 people, 2 bots, it plays out faster than 4 people, but still has lots of deviousness that isn't there in 2 players. Finished out with a 4 player 7 Wonders after two people left. I'm still not sure how I feel about 7 Wonders, it's kind of fun, but feels pretty luck based to me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I've played a ton of 7 Wonders, and in any card game there's gonna be a luck element, but I've found that the diversity of methods of accumulating VP means the random element forces you to adapt your strategy, as opposed to the randomness simply deciding a winner. Even with the shittiest draws it seems like there's almost always a potential path to victory, it's just a question of how quickly you can identify it.

Also it really, really helps to know the cards, which unfortunately can mean a bit of a learning curve if there's a big skill differential in your group.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What's a good game where there might be a traitor? Not one where there is always a traitor, like BSG or the resistance, but one where there is uncertainty.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Isn't there a chance of no traitor in a 3-4 player game of Shadows Over Camelot? Not that I'm recommending you play that game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Room 25 is an alright game where there may or may not be a traitor. Not great, but not terrible either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Trynant posted:

I got to play Tigris and Euphrates followed by Lost Cities: The Board Game this Wednesday, both made by that Knizia doctor person.

T&E is a good game. I'm not sure I buy into Tekopo's claim that it's ultra-thematic, but I can agree that it has the most theme of any game as abstracted as T&E is. Then again, I've only played a few games of this one so far, so maybe the theme is something that's more recognizable after plays. As far as gameplay, it's a rock-solid abstract with a few twists that add flavor to what otherwise would of been an ultra dry, tile-laying euro.
Although I stand by this opinion, I did write that article with the view that not everyone was gonna agree with me. The reason I call it thematic is not really due to the Mesopotamian theme itself, which literally could be pasted on (it would be possible to palette-switch it with empires in space, in a faantasy world etc) but due to the high level organic spread/destruction of the kingdoms.

• Locked thread