Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
After all the comments, I was expecting Lindsay to look AWFUL, and instead she looked pretty much the same with maybe a little too much botox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Chichevache posted:

I don't remember which of you fucks recommended Uwe Boll's Rampage, but t:mad:

why would you ever watch anything by Uwe Boll and expect it not to be complete poo poo?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

why would you ever watch anything by Uwe Boll and expect it not to be complete poo poo?

Because someone in this thread recommended it. :negative:

I'd heard he had matured with this film and I just don't see it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I don't know, it was surprisingly comprehensible, I was really shocked that Uwe Boll was behind it.

I also found it really unconventional and nihilistic. The problem I had though was interpreting if it was truly nihilistic and had a message in there or was more about pushing buttons, which he seems to like to do just for the sake of doing it. I wasn't able to separate the director and the movie well enough to make a good judgement on that.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

To be fair, it's probably the best Uwe Boll film.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still unrepentant garbage but it's not as overtly poorly-made as everything else.

Magnus Gallant posted:

Maybe I'm just unable to see things properly, but the only character I really thought had aged horribly/super noticeably was steve holt. Love the new season also. The first few episodes were not the best, but everything after the third is gold in my opinion.

Eh, they all looked like they aged a bit, the kids into their 20s, the adults generally just looking a bit more rundown and haggard which kinda fits the theme of season four anyway. The only one who looks exactly the same is Buster.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

maxnmona posted:

After all the comments, I was expecting Lindsay to look AWFUL, and instead she looked pretty much the same with maybe a little too much botox.

Her nose is like a centimeter shorter. It's a ridiculous thing but impossible for me not to fixate upon.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This talk of Micheal Cera make me hope people get the chance to see the two movies that he did with Sebastián Silva (Magic Magic and Crystal Fairy). They're both really good and Cera is fantastic in both of them playing different really reprehensible characters that are way outside of the schtick he's known for.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Cera wasn't too bad in Youth in Revolt, which is a pleasant little B movie that doesn't hold a candle to the eponymous novel.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I don't know, it was surprisingly comprehensible, I was really shocked that Uwe Boll was behind it.

I also found it really unconventional and nihilistic. The problem I had though was interpreting if it was truly nihilistic and had a message in there or was more about pushing buttons, which he seems to like to do just for the sake of doing it. I wasn't able to separate the director and the movie well enough to make a good judgement on that.

That was a definite problem for me. I was never going to love that film, but knowing Boll was behind it made me even harsher than I would have been.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Her nose is like a centimeter shorter. It's a ridiculous thing but impossible for me not to fixate upon.

There was something just "off" enough about her that it was distracting. Our brains are weird about faces, and when someone changes enough through surgery (rather than just natural aging) it can gently caress up how we see somebody. Portia de Rossi looked like a completely different person in a Portia de Rossi "mask" until I adjusted to the change. She looks fine now, it's like my brain finally adjusted to it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

This talk of Micheal Cera make me hope people get the chance to see the two movies that he did with Sebastián Silva (Magic Magic and Crystal Fairy). They're both really good and Cera is fantastic in both of them playing different really reprehensible characters that are way outside of the schtick he's known for.

His Youtube Comedy Week short is hilarious and again, against type. He's one guy I never understood the hardon for.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Question for you guys who watched End of Watch: do you think the whole "hit put out by a cartel" part was all that necessary? I don't. I think the movie would have been just as good with the slice of life things and perhaps even ending with them responding to a call that ends completely unremarkably, just shooting the breeze with a shopkeeper or whatever.

It's in there to provide drama but I don't think it really added much to the movie and actually made it seem less realistic. Would the cartel really put a hit out on beat cops who just happen to stumble across a couple of their operations? I kind of doubt it, but who knows they are crazy bastards.

Yes I just don't want Zavala to die :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, Kill List.

Though, I was very mad when it was over until I went to Google and found a theory that actually made sense about it.

Jay is the Antichrist or something like it. The director flat-out said his wife wasn't in the cult and that nothing in the film is a dream. All the religious talk and imagery fits with him being the literal (Anti)Christ.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, Kill List.

Though, I was very mad when it was over until I went to Google and found a theory that actually made sense about it.

Jay is the Antichrist or something like it. The director flat-out said his wife wasn't in the cult and that nothing in the film is a dream. All the religious talk and imagery fits with him being the literal (Anti)Christ.

I don't see why it has to be the Antichrist specifically. The plot was pretty clear that the cult was molding him into something else, but it could be anything. Also, aren't the people he killed at the ritual at the end? One last thing is that while it might not be a literal dream, the movie is very dreamlike. By the end Jay is clearly in a waking nightmare.

I love Kill List but its so intense that I'm not sure when I can watch it again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

foodfight posted:

I don't see why it has to be the Antichrist specifically.

It doesn't have to be, absolutely, but if you count up all the distinctly Christian references in the film, it makes sense - their employer talks about "Reconstruction", the little debate about how the "Irish thing" doesn't make sense to the wife because "it's all the same religion", the many times that Gal shows that he's a very religious man (and says "Thank you" to Jay when he kills him, just like all the others did). I think Christianity is a pretty big theme of the film, but it is up for debate whether he's Christ, the Antichrist, or something else entirely.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I still think she looks weird in this hairstyle or wig:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

smackfu posted:

I still think she looks weird in this hairstyle or wig:

All I see here is a beautiful lady. :shrug:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I find it weird that everyone is focused on Portia's rather minor botox treatment when I'm mostly distracted by how fat David Cross is now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Cera wasn't too bad in Youth in Revolt, which is a pleasant little B movie that doesn't hold a candle to the eponymous novel.

Your post reminded me that this movie existed and that I saw it in theaters opening weekend. I honestly hadn't thought about it once since then, or even heard anyone talk about it since then.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

priznat posted:

Question for you guys who watched End of Watch: do you think the whole "hit put out by a cartel" part was all that necessary? I don't. I think the movie would have been just as good with the slice of life things and perhaps even ending with them responding to a call that ends completely unremarkably, just shooting the breeze with a shopkeeper or whatever.

It's in there to provide drama but I don't think it really added much to the movie and actually made it seem less realistic. Would the cartel really put a hit out on beat cops who just happen to stumble across a couple of their operations? I kind of doubt it, but who knows they are crazy bastards.

I felt the same way about it feeling unrealistic but that had to do more with them always getting into some crazy hijinks. But a cartel, any cartel, holds grudges and will gently caress anyone who pisses them off. Two beat cops are going out of their way to gently caress us? That's a hit.

Great movie, I need to watch it again.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

priznat posted:

I don't think it was necessary, no, but without it there's nothing really tying the story together other than "hey this cop likes to film stuff". Its a neat movie, but its not nearly as memorable or powerful without some sort of dramatic aspect to it. It'd be a pretty unremarkable film without the ending that it had (or at least some sort of drama building and conclusion).

I do sort of agree that the way they went with it seemed a little forced, but what the movie does well is introduce you to a couple of characters and gets you to like them. Then you're on the edge of your seat as those two likeable characters deal with a situation in which they're under extreme pressure and in great danger. How they got there (it being at least feasible and not OMG ALIENS or something stupid) isn't as important as the fact that they got there.

stimpy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 30, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It definitely was an effective tactic to ratchet up the tension/drama, I remember literally being on the edge of my seat during that sequence. Impressive what you can do with an audience when you have laid the foundation of a couple well rounded characters you really care about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think the spoilered thing in End of Watch needed to happen, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment either. There were a lot of ways they could have taken that film, really, and all of them would have been great.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Your post reminded me that this movie existed and that I saw it in theaters opening weekend. I honestly hadn't thought about it once since then, or even heard anyone talk about it since then.

I caught Youth in Revolt the other day and liked it more than I thought I would.

His "Francois" persona is really pretty good.

And the "I want to touch your belly button...from the inside" had me in stitches.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I don't think the spoilered thing in End of Watch needed to happen, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment either. There were a lot of ways they could have taken that film, really, and all of them would have been great.

They probably could've done away with the night-vision scene and people still would've figured it out...or maybe they couldn't in test screenings and that's why it's in there?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone else notice the Facebook notification tones going off in the audio master for Arrested Development? There's one at around 28:30 in episode 8, and I've heard them before that, as well.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PaganGoatPants posted:

They probably could've done away with the night-vision scene and people still would've figured it out...or maybe they couldn't in test screenings and that's why it's in there?

I hated that night vision scene, probably more than I should of. It just seemed so bad and downright cartoonish that it kind of put me in an off mood for the rest of the movie.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone else notice the Facebook notification tones going off in the audio master for Arrested Development? There's one at around 28:30 in episode 8, and I've heard them before that, as well.

I remember hearing those and confusedly checking if Facebook was open, yeah.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

User-Friendly posted:

I remember hearing those and confusedly checking if Facebook was open, yeah.

Could they be coming up during the clips from previous seasons? Because with the whole "Scene stealer" text on the screen, I'm pretty sure they're trying to go for a metagag that they just hired some intern to rip all the earlier scenes they needed in his free time.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Crappy Jack posted:

Could they be coming up during the clips from previous seasons? Because with the whole "Scene stealer" text on the screen, I'm pretty sure they're trying to go for a metagag that they just hired some intern to rip all the earlier scenes they needed in his free time.

Nope.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

axleblaze posted:

I hated that night vision scene, probably more than I should of. It just seemed so bad and downright cartoonish that it kind of put me in an off mood for the rest of the movie.

I felt like it was too video gamey.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

kuddles posted:

I find it weird that everyone is focused on Portia's rather minor botox treatment when I'm mostly distracted by how fat David Cross is now.

I don't know if it's just the big-rear end beard he usually sports now, but his weight isn't nearly as jarring or noticeable outside of the new Arrested Development. He doesn't even look particularly "old" apart from the weight. Bob Odenkirk on the other hand...

But then Bob looked old even in the earliest episodes of Mr. Show.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

Tewratomeh posted:

I don't know if it's just the big-rear end beard he usually sports now, but his weight isn't nearly as jarring or noticeable outside of the new Arrested Development. He doesn't even look particularly "old" apart from the weight. Bob Odenkirk on the other hand...

And Scott Aukerman still looks 12. Everyone watch Comedy Bang! Bang! instead of Arrested Development.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, Kill List.

I'm going to have to watch this again. I turned it on expecting a mediocre assassin flick and was only half paying attention. When everything shifted... :stonk:

Also I really had trouble with their accents. I'm still coming off a sinus infection and my ears are trash right now, but I really had trouble with every word out of their mouths.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tewratomeh posted:

I just wish Odenkirk was in more stuff, generally. I always fealt he was the far more talented member of his duo with Cross.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Kind Milkman posted:

And Scott Aukerman still looks 12. Everyone watch Comedy Bang! Bang! instead of Arrested Development.

Speaking of Comedy Bang! Bang! Is it getting a second season?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

bartok posted:

Yep. Renewed for 20 episodes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bartok posted:

Airs July 12th I think.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Kind Milkman posted:

I'll second this, and I'm actually enjoying AD. But Comedy Bang! Bang! is just fantastic, and Scott Aukerman actually looks younger now than he did on Mr. Show nearly 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I'm a big fan of the podcast, but I thought the Comedy Bang Bang tv show was pretty mediocre. Part of the problem is Auckerman has always been the least interesting/funny part of his podcast, and so basing most of the show on his performance really brings things down.

• Locked thread