Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So with Gaiman back at Marvel now, what does that mean for the Sandman prequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Unless it's an exclusive deal, probably nothing. Even if it is exclusive, it's quite possible Gaiman turned in scripts already.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Writers can work on more than one book at a time, so I imagine it doesn't mean anything.
The book was announced for this year, if it is late it is more likely because Berger is leaving Vertigo this month and there is no replacement yet.
E: I would be very surprised if Gaiman signed an exclusive.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Helping write one comic doesn't make him exclusive. Surely JHW3 has already begun illustrating by now, anyway.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Hey guys, Comixology has all of Hellblazer for £0.69 until Thursday since I can't rightly afford all the issues should I get the first lot of Delano stuff? Or any other little arcs?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Hey guys, Comixology has all of Hellblazer for £0.69 until Thursday since I can't rightly afford all the issues should I get the first lot of Delano stuff? Or any other little arcs?

Every single run of Vertigo is awesome except for Denise Mina and some people including me do not find Brian Azzarello to be that great. Other then that they are all worth it and some of the best are Delano, Ennis, Ellis, Jenkins, Carey, and I personally enjoyed Milligans.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I work at a comic shop and was flicking through the last few issues of Hellblazer by Milligan. It seems interesting but my co-worker doesn't rate. I always liked seeing the Bizley covers though, my favourite one is the one with John and the Indian couple on the front, they all look pretty happy. :v:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 22, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I work at a comic shop and was flicking through the last few issues of Hellblazer by Milligan. It seems interesting but my co-worker doesn't rate. always liked the Bizley covers though, my favourite one is the one with John and the indian couple on the front. Look pretty happy. :v:

You will soon learn that nothing is happy in Hellblazer. No one got out of that title without getting serious mental and/or physical scarring. Also while Milligan's run is okay it is nothing compared to Shade. God that title is so good.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
This time travel anthology that they put out a few weeks ago is really, really good. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.

See if your shop still has a copy. Time Warp #1

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Seconding Time Warp. I just read it and was pleasantly surprised overall. I think my favorite story was the one about the memory candy.

I also just got to the last issue of Saucer Country. Given that he probably only had a few issues notice that it was being cancelled I think Cornell wrapped it up as best as he could, although honestly except for the Pioneer people explanation I bet most of the issue is what would have been in it had it just been another issue and the story was continuing.

Real bummed that Saucer Country is over, it was probably one of my favorite new series of the past few years.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Real bummed that Saucer Country is over, it was probably one of my favorite new series of the past few years.

Well then you'll be very happy to learn that Cornell and Kelly are currently working out a way to continue Saucer Country under another publisher.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So is Astro City going to happen under Vertigo?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Truly welcome news. Thanks for this!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Benny the Snake posted:

So is Astro City going to happen under Vertigo?

Apparently issue 2 is due July 10th, but there's no forthcoming date for issue 1.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

This time travel anthology that they put out a few weeks ago is really, really good. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.

See if your shop still has a copy. Time Warp #1

Just got it, 3 stories in and it rules so much. I think this is the first Gail Simone I read and I really liked it.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
So based on recommendations from the forums, I read through Young Liars today.

Why do people think it is a good comic? Can someone give me the run down? I'm less looking for an opinion fight and more trying to figure out if I missed something.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Kunzelman posted:

So based on recommendations from the forums, I read through Young Liars today.

Why do people think it is a good comic? Can someone give me the run down? I'm less looking for an opinion fight and more trying to figure out if I missed something.

Yeah. I didn't get it either. Everyone seemed horrible.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

sporklift posted:

Yeah. I didn't get it either. Everyone seemed horrible.

Everyone being horrible bothered me less than the fact that literally every major plot point hinged on a rape.

Also Lapham basically recycled a lot from Young Liars to write his Psychopath run on Crossed

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

So, I bought the first collected edition of fairest, and it was okay I guess? But HOLY poo poo bill willingham, there was an entire page of a bottle imp spouting :biotruths: about how briar rose could not, OR EVER keep up with ali baba when running away from a thing because she's a woman.

I'm sure there was other stuff in it too but I wasn't poring over the comic looking for bill willingham being...bill willingham I guess?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but -- if I don't currently own any Sandman, would the Omnibus be a good buy?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401241883/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Basically, will a DC/Vertigo HC of ~1000 pages fall apart? Reading will be reasonably careful and occasional, but that's a BIG book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

onefish posted:

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but -- if I don't currently own any Sandman, would the Omnibus be a good buy?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401241883/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Basically, will a DC/Vertigo HC of ~1000 pages fall apart? Reading will be reasonably careful and occasional, but that's a BIG book.

I'm told that the Complete Invisibles is fairly solid, and that's over 1500 pages.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

onefish posted:

How many goddamned formats is DC going to release Sandman in?

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

StumblyWumbly posted:

Writers can work on more than one book at a time, so I imagine it doesn't mean anything.
The book was announced for this year, if it is late it is more likely because Berger is leaving Vertigo this month and there is no replacement yet.
E: I would be very surprised if Gaiman signed an exclusive.

I realize that this is an old post to be responding to, but you do know that Shelley Bond is Karen's replacement, right? That was announced last December.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Endless Mike posted:

How many goddamned formats is DC going to release Sandman in?

How many formats will they make money in? That + 1.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

So, when I bought fairest, I also bought jack of fable's and...I don't know maybe having read the great fables crossover already kinda ruined it or something, but even beyond that I can't seem to tolerate jack, he's just such a giant dick.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Jedit posted:

I'm told that the Complete Invisibles is fairly solid, and that's over 1500 pages.

The Invisibles seems to be holding up fine. It is drat unwieldy though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Len posted:

How many formats will they make money in? That + 1.
The actual correct answer is "all of them."

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

The actual correct answer is "all of them."

Can't wait till I can get sandman on laser disk.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
So in Unwritten I like that Pulman is in the Dante's Inferno Hell. Which had at its core Satan forever half trapped in ice. I imagine the names of the demons he calls out are from there? Or perhaps Paradise Lost.

Gotta say I'm surprised his dad is coming back to life too.

But coming up next a Fables crossover? Really? Ugh. Although I'm sure it'll be good the thought of its not making me too thrilled.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Just finished izombie and I have mixed feelings on it. The art was amazing as to be expected since it is Allred. However, it is obvious that the series was cut short. Things just happened without build up and you could tell that it was a 50ish issue series compressed into 28 issues. I really think I would have enjoyed it more if it had as many issues as intended.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The Wake #1 is so good. Not only am I scared already, but I'm dreading whatever nightmare plays out on this submarine. God, that thing is creepy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jesus Christ DC
This article proves all that we fear, all DC Comics are now is a movie farm.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/30/books/comics-mother-of-the-weird-stuff-is-moving-on.html?src=twr&_r=1&

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The Wake #1 is so good. Not only am I scared already, but I'm dreading whatever nightmare plays out on this submarine. God, that thing is creepy.

Seriously. Murphy just keeps getting better.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey speaking of Snyder...

Drop date is August 7th. I could not me more happier right now; I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. Greg Ruka! Becky Cloonan! :swoon:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Gail Simone :(

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Was Taters posted:

Gail Simone :(
Hey, one out of seven ain't bad. Actually I don't recognize anybody outside of Simone, Francavilla, Cloonan, and Rucka. How are the other guys?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey, one out of seven ain't bad. Actually I don't recognize anybody outside of Simone, Francavilla, Cloonan, and Rucka. How are the other guys?

Jeff Lemire rules. Check out Sweet Tooth and Animal Man (especially the first trade.) He's illustrated some really nice short stories in previous Vertigo anthologies (Mysteries in Space, Ghosts, Time Warp)
Fawkes writes Justice League Dark and Constantine with Lemire which I think are pretty decent.

edit: Check out Lemire's recent $1 digital Superman comic. It's super sweet.
http://www.comixology.com/Adventures-of-Superman-2013-2/digital-comic/APR130208
His Essex County is very reminiscent of this. Just transpose in hockey for Superman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 31, 2013

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Benny the Snake posted:

Declan Shalvey is awesome. His three issues on the current Conan (9-12) are superb. Obviously, Dave Stewart doing the color helps a lot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Declan Shalvey is awesome. His three issues on the current Conan (9-12) are superb. Obviously, Dave Stewart doing the color helps a lot.

I knew Declan before he was famous - he worked in my FLCS for a bit. It's not the colourist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!
Declan did a bunch of issues for Parker's Thunderbolts right? His work was pretty awesome there too.

• Locked thread