Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zeitgueist posted:

I think that stuff like this serves as good reason for a critical examination of popular art like fantasy novels and the like, because it shows that no matter how evil the character may be, people will still find ways to try and justify the actions based on the fact that they are a major character and not explicitly stated to be evil.
Abercrombie/Bayaz gets away with it because he spends 90% of the book seeming like the very common mentor/mastermind Good Wizard fantasy character (of the Merlin/Gandalf/Aslan/Elminster/Fizban/Obi-Wan/etc. school). He's charming, he's low-key, he's adorably doddering, he seems to be carrying a heavy burden - he fits the part so perfectly that he's built up an enormous amount of reader goodwill, which is enough to have some left over even after the big reveal toward the end of the third book.

Abercrombie is making a point about how little critical thought we give to people who match our preconceived notions of goodness.

Glokta, characteristically, is the first to understand exactly who and what Bayaz is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

FMguru posted:

Abercrombie/Bayaz gets away with it because he spends 90% of the book seeming like the very common mentor/mastermind Good Wizard fantasy character (of the Merlin/Gandalf/Aslan/Elminster/Fizban/Obi-Wan/etc. school). He's charming, he's low-key, he's adorably doddering, he seems to be carrying a heavy burden - he fits the part so perfectly that he's built up an enormous amount of reader goodwill, which is enough to have some left over even after the big reveal toward the end of the third book.

Abercrombie is making a point about how little critical thought we give to people who match our preconceived notions of goodness.

Glokta, characteristically, is the first to understand exactly who and what Bayaz is.

I understand all that, but my point was that people will defend Bayaz even after the reveal. It's an example of how media influences people subconsciously.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Bayaz is basically the biblical satan. The son of a benevolent god figure who grew jealous and power hungry and murdered his father.

Bayaz is about the only one where you can't explain away his actions with "he's a product of his circumstances", because everything is really his fault. Including just about everything that's wrong with the world that Abercrombie's books are set in.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

FMguru posted:

This is definitely a major thread in all of of his characters. As for Bayaz, I interpreted the character as an exploration of how a real life Gandalf would view humanity: the same way we might view ants or other inconsequential facets of nature. From our point of view, he's certainly evil; but what about from his own godlike perspective, a point of view that doesn't exist in our world? Are good and evil objective things or are they just reflections of where we stand? How could a character so far beyond the common human retain his connection to humanity after hundreds of years? I think the character is conceptually similar to Doctor Manhattan.

Though I guess maybe a contrary view is that from all appearances Bayaz started out pretty bad.

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

And yet I don't remember him torturing anyone he didn't need to except Sult at the end, disapproves of that torturer in Dagoska who tortured basically anyone that could be remotely connected to the conspiracy, and he shows mercy to women fairly often. Say what you want about his motives but, like I said, he isn't sadistic as far as torturers go.
How many does it take? I mean, he didn't have to become a torturer in the first place.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Tolkien already has a Gandalf-gone-bad character in Lord of the Rings: Saruman.

He's a Gandalf-grade wizard who loses track of his mission and decides to openly rule in Middle Earth instead of selflessly helping the other peoples on ME maintain their freedom. Which is pretty much Bayaz in a nutshell.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Not quite Gandalf-grade.

:colbert:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

FMguru posted:

Tolkien already has a Gandalf-gone-bad character in Lord of the Rings: Saruman.

He's a Gandalf-grade wizard who loses track of his mission and decides to openly rule in Middle Earth instead of selflessly helping the other peoples on ME maintain their freedom. Which is pretty much Bayaz in a nutshell.

Saruman is not a very good basis for comparison. First of all, Saruman bent his knee to Sauron for power while Bayaz up and killed the people that were stronger than him. Second, Saruman is incompetent to the point where he gets his rear end stomped by a bunch of hobbits. Bayaz is foiled much less frequently, and typically only at great cost and on a temporary basis.

Gandalf-gone-bad, or Gandalf-with-no-morals, is a much better comparison.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Above Our Own posted:

How many does it take? I mean, he didn't have to become a torturer in the first place.

But he had personal experience of it, and in how many jobs does that look good on a résumé?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I think there was a whole monologue in the first book where he basically laid out "it's torture people or go home and lie around in my own poo poo" (paraphrased). I may be repeating myself at this point but applying 2013 conventional SJW morality to a cripple tortured beyond his breaking point in search of whether he is a Good or Bad Person is... not a good way to approach the character.

Bayaz/Khalul do seem like total dicks, though.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Evfedu posted:

I think there was a whole monologue in the first book where he basically laid out "it's torture people or go home and lie around in my own poo poo" (paraphrased). I may be repeating myself at this point but applying 2013 conventional SJW morality to a cripple tortured beyond his breaking point in search of whether he is a Good or Bad Person is... not a good way to approach the character.

You seriously think that was his only option? Torture people or lie around in his own poo poo?

He is trying to delude himself into thinking that he isn't a horrible horrible evil poo poo. He could have loving written poetry, became a state official, a patron of the arts, a magister, a scholar or loving anything that doesn't involve actual physical exertion but he CHOSE to torture people. The guy comes from a filthy rich family, all doors were open.

Glokta is a bad person. Period.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
All the people Abercrombie writes about are objectively bad (or they get murdered before we get access to their no doubt horrific internal monologue.) which is kind of the point?

Bayaz is obviously the worst however. Also 'a perspective from which lives look like ants' dude, the whole point of morality is that when you suddenly achieve Godlike power you don't change your perspective. If you do, you weren't really moral in the first place you were just powerless. It isn't just that the setting is deformed (it isn't shaped, shaped implies care and thought) by his mere existence, it's that he is aware of that deformation and revels in it. It isn't that black and white morality requires us to identify characters as evil, it's that we never once see Bayaz offer kindness or any other positive emotion to anyone.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
@Affi: I Think It's a Bit More Complicated Than That.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Evfedu posted:

Actually it's a perfectly good way to approach a character, because it's a modern book written by a modern person with modern sensibilities. Art and literature do not exist in contextless vaccuum.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Evfedu posted:

His family was rich though and its not like he needed the work. So he picked torturing people as an alternative to having to move back in with his parents.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Mr.48 posted:

His family was rich though and its not like he needed the work. So he picked torturing people as an alternative to having to move back in with his parents.
Well when you put it that way, I totally understand Glokta's motivations. :v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

The biggest compelling urge was how everyone in his life prior to his maiming and torture abandoned him after his injuries leaving his broken and alone, letting his hate and malice fester until he took the torturing job to feel a purpose in life.

Then at one point in Last Argument when Glokta was feeling particularly lovely he sniped at West for never writing or coming to see him while he was laid up and West reveals to him that Glokta's mother kept everyone from seeing him, to hide his shame or whatever, so all of his friends and companions were refused access and thought Glokta didn't want anything to do with them.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Glotka's descent is kinda cool because he's presented as the chivalrous knight champion that fantasy writers loves and then poo poo worse than he could ever imagine (and worse than ever presented in archetype fantasy) happens and he literally doesn't know what to do because he doesn't have anything to compare himself to.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
He obviously joined the torturers partially out of sadism, but being tortured for years in an incredibly small cell, your only drink for many days being piss, thinking that all your friends have abandoned you, and being horribly crippled to the point every second is full of pain sort of rules out poetry and painting.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 654 days!)

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

He obviously joined the torturers partially out of sadism, but being tortured for years in an incredibly small cell, your only drink for many days being piss, thinking that all your friends have abandoned you, and being horribly crippled to the point every second is full of pain sort of rules out poetry and painting.

Nah dude that sounds like the backstory to an awesome Grimdark Baudelaire type character.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Bayaz pretty much acts like a modern day corporation. Considering he's hundreds of years old it makes sense he'd treat people that only live 40~ years as expendable. Yeah, he's a power hungry shitlord but he's a much more interesting and realistic character than a loving Gandalf trope.

Bayaz is still a bit better than Khalul though. Runs a slave empire and props himself up as a godlike figure backed by an army of cannibals. Although, you do get the sense that's there is worse things than those two waiting to be awakening from whatever dark realm Abercrombie is setting up.

Space Pussy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 2, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Space Pussy posted:

Bayaz pretty much acts like a modern day corporation. Considering he's hundreds of years old it makes sense he'd treat people that only live 40~ years as expendable. Yeah, he's a power hungry shitlord but he's a much more interesting and realistic character than a loving Gandalf trope.

Bayaz is still a bit better than Khalul though. Runs a slave empire and props himself up as a godlike figure backed by an army of cannibals. Although, you do get the sense that's there is worse things than those two waiting to be awakening from whatever dark realm Abercrombie is setting up.

Although if it wasn't for Bayaz being a murdering rear end in a top hat Khalul wouldn't have needed to resort to any of that to get him.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Mr.48 posted:

Although if it wasn't for Bayaz being a murdering rear end in a top hat Khalul wouldn't have needed to resort to any of that to get him.
Well if the ends are justifying the means here, then you can't excuse Khalul but not Bayaz.

Any ideas on Khalul's real history and motivations are speculation since we don't see him in the text, but I bet he's exactly like Bayaz tit for tat, and just used the death of Juvens as a justification before the other Magi for his empire building.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Space Pussy posted:

I would hesitate on damning Khalul moreso than Bayaz, as we really haven't seen much of him, have we? What we know about him is pretty much all tainted by the yarn Bayaz/The Union spins. Granted, I'm sure Khalul is just as twisted and evil and rotten to the core (he does, after all, run a slave empire that props him up as a prophet/godlike figure; that same empire hosts tons of cannibals).

What with the new trilogy coming out ~*soon*~, I'm excited to see all the new viewpoints.

My favorite Bayaz fanart. Just look at him. He's so happy.

Do we know anything about Ferro Maljinn beyond her gaining superpowers with the cavet being the loss of her sanity? If there is one example poor handling of female characters that bothers me it's Ferro's. She could have been so cool, but she is pretty much just discarded. :sigh:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Discarder? Admittedly she didn't get the proper ending that would be most pleasing but the last we see of her she has her mind demons under control and his on her way to rip a whole nation a few too many assholes. I expect her actions, if not the character herself will factor in significantly to the next series.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that, given how our knowledge of Bayaz changes throughout the story, that we have to consider that we may have been misinformed by what little we have been told about his evil cannibal-wizard nemesis.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm pretty sure the evil cannibal-wizard felt he had no choice but to become an evil cannibal wizard in order to stop the megalomaniacal super wizard from enslaving the world forever, and when we finally meet him in the next trilogy, he'll be a surprisingly sympathetic character.

There's still the small matter of his empire which brutally conquers its neighbors because it requires the human sacrifice of huge numbers of slaves in order to feed (literally) its magical shock-troops.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Above Our Own posted:

Well if the ends are justifying the means here, then you can't excuse Khalul but not Bayaz.

Any ideas on Khalul's real history and motivations are speculation since we don't see him in the text, but I bet he's exactly like Bayaz tit for tat, and just used the death of Juvens as a justification before the other Magi for his empire building.

In order for "ends justifying means" to excuse Bayaz, he would first need to have some sort of noble "ends" in mind. However, his ends are literally "getting away with murder" and "have all the power".

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 3, 2013

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

In order for "ends justifying means" to excuse Bayaz, he would first need to have some sort of noble "ends" in mind. However, his ends are literally "getting away with murder" and "have all the power".

I think he genuinely wants to build the Union into an enduringly powerful nation-state (with him at the top, granted) for reasons other than personal gain. He seems to genuinely believe the world would be a better place run the way he wants it run, which, while I wouldn't call it noble, at least puts him in Doctor Doom territory rather than Gibbering McPsychopath territory.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

docbeard posted:

I think he genuinely wants to build the Union into an enduringly powerful nation-state (with him at the top, granted) for reasons other than personal gain. He seems to genuinely believe the world would be a better place run the way he wants it run, which, while I wouldn't call it noble, at least puts him in Doctor Doom territory rather than Gibbering McPsychopath territory.

What makes you think he believes the world would be a better place when run by him? Are there any specific lines or chapters? Because I didn't get that kind of vibe, I think it's realpolitik all the way down.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

I thought it was mentioned that Bayaz wants the Union to be like Juvens' empire, only better, because he believes he is just that bitchin.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Bayaz doesn't care about the Union, or anyone else who has been born in the last 1000 years or so. He thinks the Union and rest of the world are pale lovely shadows of the Old Empire. It's just a piece in the same old beef that started from the moment Khalul became Juvens' second apprentice.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
He seems to view everyone who isn't a magus as sub-human. While he seems to view the other Magi as fully formed people he is still uniquely self centered and has mostly contempt for the lot of them, and nothing approaching love even for those most loyal, like the man who died to trap his monstrous ex-girlfriend away from the world. Everyone out side of the circle of Magi are just animals to him. Sheep to be herded, dogs to be commanded, and beasts to be put down. It makes him evil as poo poo but seems like the kind of psychology that immortals( or the extremely long lived) would have toward the common man.

Basically, dude's an evil rear end in a top hat.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He seems to view everyone who isn't a magus as sub-human. While he seems to view the other Magi as fully formed people he is still uniquely self centered and has mostly contempt for the lot of them, and nothing approaching love even for those most loyal, like the man who died to trap his monstrous ex-girlfriend away from the world. Everyone out side of the circle of Magi are just animals to him. Sheep to be herded, dogs to be commanded, and beasts to be put down. It makes him evil as poo poo but seems like the kind of psychology that immortals( or the extremely long lived) would have toward the common man.

Basically, dude's an evil rear end in a top hat.

It's a testament to how ingrained the trope of the benevolent wizard figure is, that you still read tons of people saying how they think he has the best interest of the Union at heart.

Though perhaps that's more of a sociological commentary than a literary one.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Say what you will about Bayaz, I could read about him being an rear end in a top hat all day :allears:

It'd be interesting if Abercrombie did give us some chapters from his point of view. All his characters think they're in the right, or at least not completely evil, to some degree. That said when you get on Bayaz' level, it's hard to think of any alternative to 'yep, he's just that big a dick' or the awful, tired 'preparing us for a ~*~bigger threat~*~' trope.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Say what you will about Bayaz, I could read about him being an rear end in a top hat all day :allears:

It'd be interesting if Abercrombie did give us some chapters from his point of view. All his characters think they're in the right, or at least not completely evil, to some degree. That said when you get on Bayaz' level, it's hard to think of any alternative to 'yep, he's just that big a dick' or the awful, tired 'preparing us for a ~*~bigger threat~*~' trope.

Well, Bayaz already tried to sell people on the *bigger threat* idea with the Khalul boogeyman, only for us to find out the truth about their relationship.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Zeitgueist posted:

It's a testament to how ingrained the trope of the benevolent wizard figure is, that you still read tons of people saying how they think he has the best interest of the Union at heart.

Though perhaps that's more of a sociological commentary than a literary one.
Or maybe they just disagree as to the nature of morality in the series, or maybe there's room for some expansive thought when dealing with characters like Bayaz who have no real world analogue.

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 4, 2013

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Interesting blog update from Joe... Really interested in the stories about the younger Glokta and the Bloody Nine.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

Made a Monster focuses on the attempts of Bethod to finally end his spiralling feuds, bring peace, and pass on something to be proud of to his sons. The squabbling chieftains of the North are always hard to deal with, but the worst obstacle is on his own side – his terrifying champion, the Bloody-Nine…

Oh god, yes. This will be awesome.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Above Our Own posted:

Or maybe they just disagree as to the nature of morality in the series, or maybe there's room for some expansive thought when dealing with characters like Bayaz who have no real world analogue.

While they're not ancient wizards, Bayaz does have his basis in manipulative politicians, businessmen, and power brokers, who are willing to sacrifice any number of people to feed their greed, power-thirst, and ego.

If anyone disagrees on Bayaz being thoroughly awful, I'd be fascinated to hear the argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Zeitgueist posted:

While they're not ancient wizards, Bayaz does have his basis in manipulative politicians, businessmen, and power brokers, who are willing to sacrifice any number of people to feed their greed, power-thirst, and ego.

If anyone disagrees on Bayaz being thoroughly awful, I'd be fascinated to hear the argument.
It's the fact that they're not immortal demigods that's important. Bayaz treats men like we treat cattle because he is similarly superior. Our sentience means very little to him, and why should it? The question the author is asking with the character is "why would Gandalf be good?"

From our perspective, Bayaz is almost certainly evil. But trying to claim an objective standpoint of good and evil is deliberately what the author is challenging.