Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Merchant to the Stars dudes: I bought the $30k expanded stone repository and it expanded my wood repository instead.

You're not the only one. Sorry :/ If you buy the wood repository then you get the stone upgrade.

This will absolutely be fixed in the first patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

You're not the only one. Sorry :/ If you buy the wood repository then you get the stone upgrade.

I figured that would be the case—I just wanted to make you aware. I really like your game!

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Another bug report: whenever a hero retires, the scroll announcing it stays on the screen without responding to commands. You'll get an animation of a scroll opening and closing behind it, but it'll stay on the top until you quit and restart the app.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

chami posted:

Another bug report: whenever a hero retires, the scroll announcing it stays on the screen without responding to commands. You'll get an animation of a scroll opening and closing behind it, but it'll stay on the top until you quit and restart the app.

I've never had that problem. After I dismiss a guy who's retiring, I get the pop-up, and then I tap the bottom of the scroll and it disappears.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

So maybe this will make me sound retarded but I'm stuck on the inventory screen in warhammer quest. How the crap do you get out of this thing?

edit - the interface is just really weird and confusing and I'm not sure why the tutorial is called a tutorial since it literally doesn't teach you how to do anything. Is my copy defective or something and everyone else's is just fine cause this game makes no sense to me.

Sidpret fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 30, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chami posted:

Flame112 posted:

I've never had that problem. After I dismiss a guy who's retiring, I get the pop-up, and then I tap the bottom of the scroll and it disappears.

What devices are you guys on?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Sidpret posted:

So maybe this will make me sound retarded but I'm stuck on the inventory screen in warhammer quest. How the crap do you get out of this thing?

edit - the interface is just really weird and confusing and I'm not sure why the tutorial is called a tutorial since it literally doesn't teach you how to do anything. Is my copy defective or something and everyone else's is just fine cause this game makes no sense to me.

Rotate your phone back to landscape.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Sidpret posted:

Just read what they tell you slower next time. Let it sink in.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Games Workshop has always been the EA of SquareEnixes - but yeah, I bailed on buying the base game once I saw the DLC pricing scheme.

After buying WarHammer I have to agree with it not being worth it content wise even though I like the base combat.

You get 7 hub towns which are the exact same (just a bog standard list of shop/training/church) and 9 main quest. You also get 3 types of random quests that just have you getting a random piece of loot, rescuing a random nobody, or killing some monsters but ultimately they still just amount to you getting to the end of the dungeon ripped from one of the main missions and killing a bunch of monsters in a room. After casually playing all day I'm on main quest 6 of 9 so I can probably be finished by the end of the day if I wanted to be. It's crazy how little missions there are in the main game when they are charging an additional $5 for a day one expansion and $3 for an extra hero when they don't even give you an extra one beyond the party limit to change things up a bit.

It's kind of a shame because I can easily see how good it could be if they just made all the missions random and made the point of the game to see how far you could take an adventure's company before you got it wiped out.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 31, 2013

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

DrManiac posted:

After buying WarHammer I have to agree with it not being worth it content wise even though I like the base combat.

You get 7 hub towns which are the exact same (just a bog standard list of shop/training/church) and 9 main quest. You also get 3 types of random quests that just have you getting a random piece of loot, rescuing a random nobody, or killing some monsters but ultimately they still just amount to you getting to the end of the dungeon ripped from one of the main missions and killing a bunch of monsters in a room. After casually playing all day I'm on main quest 6 of 9 so I can probably be finished by the end of the day if I wanted to be. It's crazy how little missions there are in the main game when they are charging an additional $5 for a day one expansion and $3 for an extra hero when they don't even give you an extra one beyond the party limit to change things up a bit.

It's kind of a shame because I can easily see how good it could be if they just made all the missions random and made the point of the game to see how far you could take an adventure's company before you got it wiped out.

I had the exact same impression. I'm at the point where I'm not really fearing too much, but if I go to the last area I still have some heroes get downed. I pick them back up, but it happends. I'm hoping the permadeath difficulty can make the game more long lasting. Really that is what it needs is more content. It claims 25 hours with all dlc, but that must be including simply grinding every character to max level which is completely unnecessary.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm thinking about picking up KOTOR but I need some info on the touch controls. Are they poo poo? Serviceable? How exactly does movement function? Are your hands or fingers in the way, etc?

Combat and menus look fine from demo videos, but I need to know if movement is hosed. For the record I loved KOTOR 1 on Xbox, never played the sequel.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

KGBAgent185 posted:

I had the exact same impression. I'm at the point where I'm not really fearing too much, but if I go to the last area I still have some heroes get downed. I pick them back up, but it happends. I'm hoping the permadeath difficulty can make the game more long lasting. Really that is what it needs is more content. It claims 25 hours with all dlc, but that must be including simply grinding every character to max level which is completely unnecessary.

I wouldn't even think about trying permadeath until they stopped randomly spawning groups of monsters around everybody. It happens waay to much and I can't count the number times I got hosed over by it after carefully keeping my non-warrior units out of harms way for 10 minutes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I'm thinking about picking up KOTOR but I need some info on the touch controls. Are they poo poo? Serviceable? How exactly does movement function? Are your hands or fingers in the way, etc?

Combat and menus look fine from demo videos, but I need to know if movement is hosed. For the record I loved KOTOR 1 on Xbox, never played the sequel.

According to the review posted: Servicable, and your meaty paws will block the view while moving.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Hopefully it works better than the god awful PC port where you randomly lose complete control of your character and have to exit out and restart to fix it.

or turn on v sync. That took me a while to figure out. :suicide:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Merchant to the stars is really good, and a type of game I didn't even know I liked. Really good job, dudes.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I think I like Merchant to the Stars, but I basically backed myself into a corner and I think I have to start over. I didn't really pay too close attention to my gold, so right now I'm in a situation where I have a bunch of crafting supplies and high level equipment, but not high enough level to sell to the first guy. So I can't buy anything new that he'd actually use, and there's only that one guy so I can't even sell my stuff to anyone. Are my only options to 1) sit around and repair a couple hundred times to get gold or 2) reinstall?

edit: oh goddammit I forgot about redeeming the items to the guild ;(

Yeah I restarted and re-found out about this in the tutorial. Should've been patient and waited more than 30 seconds for a reply before restarting.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 31, 2013

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
No, just send your stuff to the merchant guild from the forge screen. They give you full price for it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I bought it and played for a little bit (basically through the tutorial section and the first few minutes of Talis), and the controls are pretty decent. Moving around is a bit clunky at times but it's not too bad, and the touch controls are great for combat, dialogue, and navigating menus.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

aherdofpenguins posted:

I think I like Merchant to the Stars, but I basically backed myself into a corner and I think I have to start over. I didn't really pay too close attention to my gold, so right now I'm in a situation where I have a bunch of crafting supplies and high level equipment, but not high enough level to sell to the first guy. So I can't buy anything new that he'd actually use, and there's only that one guy so I can't even sell my stuff to anyone. Are my only options to 1) sit around and repair a couple hundred times to get gold or 2) reinstall?

You can redeem items (sell them to the guild) in your inventory for their listed value. The button is in the forge between hone and scrap. It's the main way to make cash.

E:f,b

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

iPod Touch 4G, whatever the latest iOS version is. For the record, I wasn't having the problem that the other guy described.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
After cursing nitros like fifteen times because they kept loving up my kill combo, I just got like twenty kills on one, immediately ran over a pair f zombies after exiting, got my 100 kills, and immediately crashed into a van. (This is the best game)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Thanks, I'll look into this and try to get a handle on what's happening.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Thanks for the KOTOR feedback, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it.

Has anyone here tried Adventure Bar Story? It looks quirky and excellent, and I think it'll compliment Merchant to the Stars which basically sounds like the best concept ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thanks for the KOTOR feedback, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it.

Has anyone here tried Adventure Bar Story? It looks quirky and excellent, and I think it'll compliment Merchant to the Stars which basically sounds like the best concept ever.

I liked ABS from what I played of it but I had other distractions come up and so I never got back to finishing it. It's either $1 or free and just from what I played was several hours and only a small portion of the game iirc.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Liking Merchant to the Stars so far. Nice concept, and I really like that the adventurers eventually finish their quests and go home. Some guy cleared all the cannibals out of some lost city, and it was nice to know he only managed it because he came to my shop. :3:

Edit: Wait, no, cannibals guy is still going. Someone else I was thinking of.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 31, 2013

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

From the 45 minutes I've played of it, it doesn't lend itself well to short bursts of gaming. Every time I come back to it, I forget half of the mechanics.

Interesting premise, though, and the price is right.

Edit: Just loaded it back up. My character just read Three Little Pigs: The After Years on a bookshelf. Through reading that, she learned the recipes for Ham, Bacon, and Sausage. I love it.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 31, 2013

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'd get Warhammer Queest too, but I still haven't finished Avernum, and that game is way, way too rad to leave undone while pursuing another, and probably inferior, dungeon crawler.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DrManiac posted:

I wouldn't even think about trying permadeath until they stopped randomly spawning groups of monsters around everybody. It happens waay to much and I can't count the number times I got hosed over by it after carefully keeping my non-warrior units out of harms way for 10 minutes.

The reason this happens is because at the start of a turn in Warhammer Quest, you roll a die to determine how many magic points your wizard gets. You roll the die whether you actually have a wizard or not. If you roll a 1, you get an event, and an event might be a group of monsters attacking. It's possible Rodeo will make an option to change this, but I wouldn't hold your breath since it's part of the physical game. You have a 1 in 6 chance of having an "event" every turn, and there's a good chance that event is more monsters. That's just the way the game works.

I like Warhammer Quest a lot, but the biggest flaw is easily the fact that Rodeo have done a piss poor job of explaining the underlying board game mechanics. They wanted it to come across as just a video game dungeon crawler, but WHQ has a whole lot of "gently caress YOU" rules that kind of need to be explained so people know what's going on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

McDragon posted:

Liking Merchant to the Stars so far. Nice concept, and I really like that the adventurers eventually finish their quests and go home. Some guy cleared all the cannibals out of some lost city, and it was nice to know he only managed it because he came to my shop. :3:

Edit: Wait, no, cannibals guy is still going. Someone else I was thinking of.
The only guy I've had complete his quest is one that opened a gateway to a hell dimension and needed a new item strength because of it - I didn't expect them to actually finish their quests so it was pretty cool when he showed up and bragged about killing all the vampires. I kind of wish my beginning character would finish up because the eager beaver takes like 6 seconds to bring back a huge haul of items and keeps everyone waiting while I process that stuff. And the stuff he brings is low-level crap.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

The reason this happens is because at the start of a turn in Warhammer Quest, you roll a die to determine how many magic points your wizard gets. You roll the die whether you actually have a wizard or not. If you roll a 1, you get an event, and an event might be a group of monsters attacking. It's possible Rodeo will make an option to change this, but I wouldn't hold your breath since it's part of the physical game. You have a 1 in 6 chance of having an "event" every turn, and there's a good chance that event is more monsters. That's just the way the game works.

I like Warhammer Quest a lot, but the biggest flaw is easily the fact that Rodeo have done a piss poor job of explaining the underlying board game mechanics. They wanted it to come across as just a video game dungeon crawler, but WHQ has a whole lot of "gently caress YOU" rules that kind of need to be explained so people know what's going on.

Warhammer Quest (the original boardgame) was played without any sort of game master. Everything was semi-randomly generated based on card draws and the like (at least the version I played, I think there was a version that used a GM) It was essentially "gently caress you all, everybody dies" the boardgame because that is what usually happened. If anything, the events in this version of the game are milder than I remember them being in the original.

Rodeo almost got things right in terms of rules exposition. They have the journal that adds new concepts as soon as they crop up, but the problem is, the entries are generally useless because as has been pointed out, they don;t share any of the numbers which is kind of a big deal. Still, an excellent game and easily the best thing I have picked up on iOS in a long time.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So, Warhammer Quest chat.

Seems like Marauder and the Wood Elf are my top murder machines (only at level 3 though), I have to forcefully feed kills to others to prevent these 2 from outleveling everyone else. Both has multiple attacks early on, Marauder being more melee heavy with the chance to get another attack, and the Elf being more ranged heavy, but has good enough weapon skill to hit quite reliably in melee.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I just beat Magika and it is amazing. Single player is much easier and fun, but multiplayer is nuts. Your allies are a bigger threat then the enemies, but its not annoying (unless someone wants to be). Its a wacky fun time. I highly recommend the game, especially if its still free. Also here are some tips:

4 earth magics and a full charge deals the best dps. For the enemies with a ton of health and move slow, such as harpies, use this.
Always have a shield up.
Double robe is the best robe, once you got teleport.
Spray spells go through your shield
Weather spells aren't that great especially in multiplayer. Being wet or oiled means you can revive your allies.
Don't try fancy tricks on bosses, they annoyingly have immunity to all status effects. Just put up a lightning fire shield and stone them to death.
Nullify can destory enemy shields.
With the healing staff you can out heal about 3 or 4 enemies hitting you.
Don't buy the +30% ice damage weapon or robe. The last boss weapon plus double robe does that and more.
For the love of god don't wear a AOE proc weapons in multiplayer! When there are no enemies around they hit your allies.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Paradoxish posted:

It also seems to me like the random spawns are somewhat necessary -- otherwise there's no reason not to stand around in between every fight waiting for your wizard to roll five magic enough times to fully heal everyone.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

StarkRavingMad posted:

It also seems to me like the random spawns are somewhat necessary -- otherwise there's no reason not to stand around in between every fight waiting for your wizard to roll five magic enough times to fully heal everyone.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly why the rule was put there in the first place. It's basically a push your luck/resource management mechanic where you can decide between moving on at low health, risking an event card draw, or expending some of your bandages or whatever to heal up. Of course, it can happen while you're already in combat and sometimes that can gently caress you. I actually just lost my elf archer because I was in an end-of-dungeon boss fight and got ambushed by two ork big bosses. That hurt.

Edit- and at the end of the day, it's a Games Workshop game. You're going to be rolling a bunch of dice (even if they're all hidden from you) and sometimes the dice will gently caress you and that's that. Try to enjoy the ride.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I couldn't resist...

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ChocNitty posted:

I couldn't resist...

Now romance Kaidan Carth.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

Weissritter posted:

So, Warhammer Quest chat.

Seems like Marauder and the Wood Elf are my top murder machines (only at level 3 though), I have to forcefully feed kills to others to prevent these 2 from outleveling everyone else. Both has multiple attacks early on, Marauder being more melee heavy with the chance to get another attack, and the Elf being more ranged heavy, but has good enough weapon skill to hit quite reliably in melee.

The Grey Wizard will pick up steam once he gets some items and a level up and starts melting everything with Shadow Bolt.

I've been playing this game on hardcore and I got wiped twice in the beginning to some dungeouns I thought I could do while underleveled (level 2 vs level 3 dungeon) and once when I went to do this crazy rear end quest that's supposedly level 4 but it's full of Orc Choppaz who spawn in packs of 3-4 and almost continuously... I have no idea who designed the difficulty on that mission but I'm not going back to it until I'm at least level 5 with my new group of heroes. My complaints so far: it's a bit repetitive tactics-wise, it'd be great if there was and "endless dungeon" mode, inventory needs to be a bit bigger, quests/missions need ot be given more variety.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
But also, and most importantly, they need to add a loving Inventory button. Strategy games in bed are just exactly right for the iPad, and having to pick it up to rotate it for the inventory is loving inane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah I play games in bed when I'm super hungover. Even rotating once for a game that's portrait only is usually too much for me.

It's a stupid small detail but it's kinda a pass for me until that's fixed.

• Locked thread