Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't be surprised if someone has asked about this before, but I couldn't find anything.

I'm curious about cults and fundamentalism.

For cults: What attracts people to cults, and what keeps them there? (I know it has to do with exploiting their weaknesses, but I'm hoping to find specific examples or at least a clearer explanation)

For fundamentalism: I guess I'm interested in what it's like living in a fundamentalist community. So maybe memoirs dealing with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

funkybottoms posted:

Philip K Dick and Ray Bradbury wrote tons of great short stories, too, but I don't know if that would be too "out there" for your boy.

Most PKD is too out there for this, but I'm sure he could read A Scanner Darkly with no problems.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

stratdax posted:

What book should I suggest to a 20 year old who has literally never read a book in his life? He works with me and sees me reading every day on lunch break, so today he said that he wants to start reading. Big pressure - if I suggest the wrong novel he might never give it another go. He dropped out of school in 9th grade and has partied his way through life until now, but he has his poo poo together at work and, as I said, he approached me and said he wants to start reading, so I think he's going to give it an honest try.

He flipped through the books I had on my Kobo and stopped at American Psycho because he liked the movie - he read the first four pages, laughed a few times, and said "I can't believe I can just picture what's happening in my head!" so that's a good sign. I'm hesitant to suggest to him reading the whole book though - it's 450 pages and the middle section is a pretty big slog, so it might be discouraging for him. Remember, it's his first drat book.

He did say he would prefer something realistic or at least grounded in reality, so not any Sci Fi or Fantasy that's way out there.

I was thinking something like Stephen King or Crichton as the language they use is fairly straightforward, but I'm paralyzed by choice here.
There's just too many options.

The Hunger Games got my dad back into reading after 20+ years of not picking up a book. I think appealed to him because he'd heard of it and because since it's YA it's a pretty quick, easy read.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radio! posted:

The Hunger Games got my dad back into reading after 20+ years of not picking up a book. I think appealed to him because he'd heard of it and because since it's YA it's a pretty quick, easy read.

Yeah, that's probably a good choice. If he likes fantasy, try Harry Potter.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
Here I am whining for something fun to read again, although this time it's just because I want something fun to read, not because I'm sick and stuck on the couch or anything. Lately I've been working through the LOA Philip K Dick set, and I've finished 1Q84, and I want something that is merely entertaining. Any ideas?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zola posted:

Here I am whining for something fun to read again, although this time it's just because I want something fun to read, not because I'm sick and stuck on the couch or anything. Lately I've been working through the LOA Philip K Dick set, and I've finished 1Q84, and I want something that is merely entertaining. Any ideas?

Hrm. From what I remember you've already read most of the things I would recommend for that.

Lately I've been on a crash course of schlocky sci-fi Space Opera; the Lost Fleet series, the Star Carrier America series, and the Leviathan Wakes series. They're all decent and about what you'd expect. Of the three Leviathan Wakes is the brainiest and the Star Carrier series is the most awesomely stupid.

For something a little more old school maybe try the Dilvished the Damned and Changing Land collections of fantasy short stories by Roger Zelazny. They're relatively unknown but among Zelazny's best work. (If you haven't read any Zelazny at all, ignore everything I just said and read his Lord of Light and Isle of the Dead). A Night in the Lonesome October is another pure fun one but more suited to reading in October.

Looking over the shelf, hrm. . . Asprin's Myth series? Goblin Quest? Ill Met in Lankhmar?

The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 25, 2013

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hrm. From what I remember you've already read most of the things I would recommend for that.

Lately I've been on a crash course of schlocky sci-fi Space Opera; the Lost Fleet series, the Star Carrier America series, and the Leviathan Wakes series. They're all decent and about what you'd expect. Of the three Leviathan Wakes is the brainiest and the Star Carrier series is the most awesomely stupid.

For something a little more old school maybe try the Dilvished the Damned and Changing Land collections of fantasy short stories by Roger Zelazny. They're relatively unknown but among Zelazny's best work. (If you haven't read any Zelazny at all, ignore everything I just said and read his Lord of Light and Isle of the Dead). A Night in the Lonesome October is another pure fun one but more suited to reading in October.

Looking over the shelf, hrm. . . Asprin's Myth series? Goblin Quest? Ill Met in Lankhmar?

The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans?

I thought Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War were pretty decent, although I'm a little concerned the series is going to go the same route as Michael Kube-McDowell's The Trigon Disunity and end up with some sort of galactic superpower deus ex machina.

I've got a bunch of Lawrence Watt-Evans, in fact, I particularly love the Misenchanted Sword because the hero is so refreshingly ordinary. I get tired of the eternally perfect hero types (Honor Harrington, anyone?), or the "pull the deus ex machina out of my rear end because I wrote myself into a corner" stuff. I actually have all the Zelazny titles mentioned and Amber besides, but could never get into Lord of Light despite trying to do so repeatedly.

Aspirin is just plain fun, I have a number of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Maybe I'll check out Goblin Quest or even Libromancer.

I really appreciate the suggestions, I keep hoping for something as good as Bridge of Birds or as fun as Morden's Petrovitch series, but even if books like that are few and far between, one thing this thread has done for me is give me a bunch of new authors to follow!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If he hasn't read Harry Potter I'd say it is an obvious choice.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Down With People posted:

Most PKD is too out there for this, but I'm sure he could read A Scanner Darkly with no problems.

That's one of my favorite books, period, and it's certainly pretty grounded for Dick, but I don't think it's a good choice for a non-reader. Some of the short stories are obviously pretty weird, but they're more like Twilight Zone episodes than the absolutely what-the-fuckery of stuff like Lies, Inc or Palmer Eldritch.

Zola posted:

I really appreciate the suggestions, I keep hoping for something as good as Bridge of Birds or as fun as Morden's Petrovitch series, but even if books like that are few and far between, one thing this thread has done for me is give me a bunch of new authors to follow!

Dang, I was about to suggest the Petrovich books. I brought it up within the last few pages, but if you didn't know, a fourth book came out recently, so you could holler at that. Most of the other stuff I can think of you probably already know (or I already suggested)- Mike Carey's Felix Castor series, Stross' Laundry Files books, Scalzi's The Android's Dream, Timothy Hallinan's newish Junior Bender mysteries (fun, snappy, LA noir), Sigler's Infected or Ancestor, and, if you want some seriously goony author wish-fulfillment, Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger Novels (although they quickly decline in quality).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 22, 2016

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
anybody got any recommendations for non fiction about Mexican drug cartels? Investigative journalism, memoir, anything really. I'm curious both as a voyeur interested in the grizzlier aspects of the business and as an amateur anthropologist/student of culture. I guess I want something that'll either scratch my itch for the grim or give me insights into the cartel's effects on Mexican government/military/police. But really, almost anything will do.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

BurningBeard posted:

anybody got any recommendations for non fiction about Mexican drug cartels? Investigative journalism, memoir, anything really. I'm curious both as a voyeur interested in the grizzlier aspects of the business and as an amateur anthropologist/student of culture. I guess I want something that'll either scratch my itch for the grim or give me insights into the cartel's effects on Mexican government/military/police. But really, almost anything will do.

A friend says

quote:

There are a few terrible books on Mexico's drug cartels but only one good book: El Narco: Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency by Ioan Grillo. Don't read the wikipedia page, which reads like it was written by the author's sockpuppet, but the book itself is solid.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Thanks for this. Bought it and am reading it. It looks great!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

stratdax posted:

What book should I suggest to a 20 year old who has literally never read a book in his life? He works with me and sees me reading every day on lunch break, so today he said that he wants to start reading. Big pressure - if I suggest the wrong novel he might never give it another go. He dropped out of school in 9th grade and has partied his way through life until now, but he has his poo poo together at work and, as I said, he approached me and said he wants to start reading, so I think he's going to give it an honest try.

He flipped through the books I had on my Kobo and stopped at American Psycho because he liked the movie - he read the first four pages, laughed a few times, and said "I can't believe I can just picture what's happening in my head!" so that's a good sign. I'm hesitant to suggest to him reading the whole book though - it's 450 pages and the middle section is a pretty big slog, so it might be discouraging for him. Remember, it's his first drat book.

He did say he would prefer something realistic or at least grounded in reality, so not any Sci Fi or Fantasy that's way out there.

I was thinking something like Stephen King or Crichton as the language they use is fairly straightforward, but I'm paralyzed by choice here.

In Search of Lost Time :v:

Serious answer: Probably some bottom of the barrel airport novel trash. If he likes video games where you shoot things then I'd suggest Ice Station by Matthew Reilly. It's a loving terrible book, but 13-year-old me loved it.

Otherwise, if he likes recent movies or TV shows, suggest the books they're based on so he can connect scenes and characters to their on-screen counterparts while simultaneously discovering that the book is always better. Eg: The Hobbit, Hunger Games, Harry Potter etc.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 26, 2013

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You could try to pull something YA with the Hero's Journey archetype. Something with broad appeal, which if he likes, you can ask what he liked about it and narrow it down from there.

Maybe try some spy stuff? If you're looking for movie tyeins or something he's already familiar with, it's hard to beat the Bourne novels.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 27, 2013

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I'm looking for a book about the lives of astronomers - memoir, day-to-day life on the job kind of thing. My favorite parts of Contact by Carl Sagan were the parts that took place at the Aricebo and VLA observatories, and I'd like some non-fiction along the same lines. Does anyone know of anything like that?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Can anyone recommend something on Historical Jesus?

I'm not totally new to the subject, I've read Paul Verhoevens book (which I enjoyed for what it was) and one by Geza Vermes whose title escapes me.

Not particularly interested in theology so I've given Crossans works a miss so far.

MikeDinosaur
Jun 3, 2009

stratdax posted:

I'm not a fan of his, but Chuck Palahniuk is probably the perfect writer for a kid like this to start reading. He's probably seen and enjoyed Fight Club if he's seen and enjoyed American Psycho. The book's very easy to read and it's philosophical in a way that could easily appeal to dude-bros.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking for some suggestions for non-Anglocentric dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction that's widely available in English.

What I've got so far:
- 2017 (Olga Slavnikova)
- Battle Royale (Takami)
- Bend Sinister (Nabokov)
- Blindness (Saramago)
- The Plague (Camus)
- The Windup Girl (Bacigalupi)
- We (Zamyatin)

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

elbow posted:

I'm looking for some suggestions for non-Anglocentric dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction that's widely available in English.
Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor sounds like it would be up your alley. And while they don't precisely match your requirements you might also like Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower (technically Anglocentric) and Geoff Ryman's Air (not quite dystopian).

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Whenever someone recommends a book to me, especially if it's a "classic," it's super depressing. Is there a "classic" or well-written book that is actually happy?

Edit: vvvv Read it.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 28, 2013

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Hobbit?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Lex Talionis posted:

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor sounds like it would be up your alley. And while they don't precisely match your requirements you might also like Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower (technically Anglocentric) and Geoff Ryman's Air (not quite dystopian).

Thanks for that, Who Fears Death sounds perfect, but I'm adding the other two to the list as well (it's for my book club).

MikeDinosaur
Jun 3, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Whenever someone recommends a book to me, especially if it's a "classic," it's super depressing. Is there a "classic" or well-written book that is actually happy?

Edit: vvvv Read it.

Huck Finn, David Copperfield, the Pickwick Papers, Don Quixote, Tom Jones, Pride and Prejudice, most of the Shakespearean comedies. Those all have happy endings and they're funny. Of them, Pride and Prejudice is probably the easiest to read, then Huckleberry Finn, assuming you're willing to get used to the weird dialects of all the characters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MikeDinosaur posted:

Huck Finn, David Copperfield, the Pickwick Papers, Don Quixote, Tom Jones, Pride and Prejudice, most of the Shakespearean comedies. Those all have happy endings and they're funny. Of them, Pride and Prejudice is probably the easiest to read, then Huckleberry Finn, assuming you're willing to get used to the weird dialects of all the characters.

These are all pretty decent suggestions. My favorite on that list is David Copperfield; it's just a beautiful, beautiful book. Pride and Prejudice and other Austen novels tend to be difficult for modern readers because they assume you know everything there is to know about eighteenth century upper class British society -- since Austen's original audience obviously did -- and that becomes a problem when (for example) you get an extended scene where all the humor is based on the differences between a curricle, a dog cart, and a barouche-landau.

If you want ease of reading though I'd go a little more modern. To Kill a Mockingbird maybe. John Steinbeck's Cannery Row and its sequel, Sweet Thursday. Any of the Jeeves books by P.G. Wodehouse (they're interchangeable).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 29, 2013

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

I can not get enough of The Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Rothfuss. It's brilliant in how, during the storytelling portion of the story, that there is not a SINGLE wasted word.

I actually tried to find one, but everything links closely with every other part of the story, and it's all elaborately crafted and held together.

Fitting, since the first book is called "The Name of the Wind", and some magic in the book is a spoken type, where every word matters.

The links and hints and variants are amazing as well. The author doesn't flat out tell you things, he simply gives the reader enough information to figure it out. For example, in book 2, The Lockless Lady that the Maer marries is Kvothe's Aunt

Does anyone else know a book with such a fine level of crafting to it, and such a level of detail,that also assumes intelligence in the reader?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Selkie Myth posted:

Does anyone else know a book with such a fine level of crafting to it, and such a level of detail,that also assumes intelligence in the reader?

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

It took her a decade to craft that book and it shows.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

My favorite on that list is David Copperfield; it's just a beautiful, beautiful book.
This man knows what's up.

If it's good enough for Leo Tolstoy it's good enough for goons!

Joramun posted:

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

It took her a decade to craft that book and it shows.

Yeah, this too. I think this is also a good suggestion for even the "classics." Not because "oh it's totally gonna become a classic" (it might, I dunno) but because it's such an intelligent riff on the 19th century classics: Austen, Dickens, et al.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Selkie Myth posted:

I can not get enough of The Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Rothfuss. It's brilliant in how, during the storytelling portion of the story, that there is not a SINGLE wasted word.

Some might say that every single word in those books are wasted because the books are poo poo

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
I would love a good book about the late 70s/early 80s new wave/punk/no-wave scene of New York. Know any? Preferably as doc as possible.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Red Garland posted:

I would love a good book about the late 70s/early 80s new wave/punk/no-wave scene of New York. Know any? Preferably as doc as possible.

Rip It Up and Start Again by Simon Reynolds and Just Kids by Patti Smith

Lordboots
Dec 11, 2007
Agrefish
I've always had a strange love for stories about discovering wise hermits living in exotic locations, like caves, mountains, that sort of thing. I found just the sort of book that has these all these things called "Fourth Uncle in the Mountain" by Marjorie Pivar. The story takes place during the war in Vietnam. It's about a bare-foot Doctor, his son, and their teacher, the Fourth Uncle. I haven't had the pleasure of finding another book like it though. Any recommendations?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hedrigall posted:

Some might say that every single word in those books are wasted because the books are poo poo

I haven't read the second yet, but I loved the first one.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I recently re-read American Gods (I know, I know) and really feel like reading some American folklore. Any recommendations?

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008
My father really loves Louis L'Amour but has read all of his stuff. Can anyone recommend me any titles or authors similar to Mr. L'Amour to get him for fathers day?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

PoorUser posted:

My father really loves Louis L'Amour but has read all of his stuff. Can anyone recommend me any titles or authors similar to Mr. L'Amour to get him for fathers day?

Zane Grey is often mentioned in the same breath as L'Amour. He's an old Western storyteller very much in the same style as L'Amour, though Grey precedes him by quite a few decades.

This collection may be a good place to start as it was his first book/trilogy, or you might check out Riders of the Purple Sage, which I think is his most famous/highly-regarded novel. You could also just head to Half-Price Books' Western section and grab a bunch of them, the paperbacks go for just a buck or two each at all the ones I've been to around here.

The downside to this is that he's such a huge name in old Western novels that your father may have already read a bunch of Grey, too, if he's so interested in L'Amour. You may want to ask him if he has already.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

This collection may be a good place to start as it was his first book/trilogy, or you might check out Riders of the Purple Sage

Thanks for the response!

Apparently he has read both those and a lot of Zane Grey. But that gives a better idea of the stuff he likes. Any other suggestions?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

PoorUser posted:

Thanks for the response!

Apparently he has read both those and a lot of Zane Grey. But that gives a better idea of the stuff he likes. Any other suggestions?

Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove) springs to mind.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PoorUser posted:

Thanks for the response!

Shane? The Virginian? Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Another good place to look would be the novels and short stories of Bret Harte. Maybe The Luck of Roaring Camp and Other Stories, a book I've had on my list to read for years but haven't gotten around to.

Unfortunately he's probably read all of those. Technically speaking the Zorro novels are "westerns", try The Curse of Capistrano.

If he's willing to branch out a little into other western-influenced stuff, maybe the first of Stephen King's Dark Tower books maybe, The Gunslinger? (note that I am only recommending the first, not the later Dark Tower books). Cormac McCarthy if he likes more literary, darker westerns.

Alternatively you could try a period nonfiction account, something like Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail by Theodore Roosevelt, or Roughing It by Mark Twain, where they both respectively describe their adventures Out West.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008

wheatpuppy posted:

Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove) springs to mind.

Shane? The Virginian?

He read Lonesome Dove, but I think he will like Shane and the Virginian. Thanks for the input guys!