Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Welsh are loving barbarians and I rue the day I created their goddamned kingdom.

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

The Welsh are loving barbarians and I rue the day I created their goddamned kingdom.

That is all.

I didn't have to fight the Welsh.

Boneless died, his son died like a year later leaving his young son king of Scotland and half or Ireland. Some jerk murdered the infant in his sleep and waged war for the throne.

I then took control of the other son who was like 1 or something. Turned out I was a genius and a would be awesome King. But King buttface went an united all of England, Ireland and Wales under the Scottish banner while I sat in prison for trying to start a rebellion. Long story short he lost his mental faculties and my uncle decided that his genius nephew would make a great King after all (Bloodless handover! I'm not sure him being a vegetable might have something to do with that).

Tldr, I got given the keys to a fully functioning Scottish Empire. :stare:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

What determines a child's culture? My current ruler is Frankish, but both of his parents were Italians. I don't know how he could possibly be Frankish. All of his siblings are Italian too. Just this one kid decided to be Frankish.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Who was his Tutor? If it was someone with Frankish culture, he may have been culture-converted by him.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

SeaTard posted:

By far the most fun I've had with the Norse has been using Whiteshirt to win the opening war for Northumberland, creating a new city vassal, elevating him to Duke so he forms a merchant republic, and then save + restart as the new Doge. I've just been walking my stack of retinues in a circle around Ireland, looting every single province and using the gold to build more retinues for more pillaging. Plus, no need to worry about trying to reform, patrician elective ensures that my family keeps my land, even if I get booted from being the Doge.

I came to post about something similar. I just created a Norse Doge of Venice so yeah. All the benefits with none of the detriments.

p..s if you aren't the doge you can't loot if the doge is christian.

Belasarius fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 31, 2013

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
What's the best way to start out as the Zoroastrians that people have found? Immediately DoW a neighbor to build up some land? Or keep your event troops intact in order to fend off your preying neighbors? I've been trying the DoW method, but it seems that I just get crushed by 10k doomstacks no matter what I do, and so I'm not seeing the benefit of keeping around the 4k event troops.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

LordPants posted:

I didn't have to fight the Welsh.
Fighting them is easy. Creating the Kingdom of Wales and having it default to no crown authority, gavelkind inheritence, and only being able to change it to elective after I bump the authority up to Low -- that's hard. All my nice well behaved Irish Earls and Dukes have now gone kill-crazy on each other as they jockey for power and I can't do dick about it.

Oh and also you can't institute primogeniture in Wales until you get High crown authority, because gently caress Wales

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Who was his Tutor? If it was someone with Frankish culture, he may have been culture-converted by him.

Oh, I didn't realize tutors could change the culture of your children.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yeah, there's an event that can pop during a child's education where they adopt the culture of their tutor. If you're playing as a child, you have an option to refuse the culture change, but otherwise that's it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Shadeoses posted:

Have you updated the terrain.bmp and terrain.txt, and the atlas.dds stuff? The patch added Steppe as a complete terrain type, and changed the colour index to accommodate it.

Sadly, this didn't seem to do it either!

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

SpaceViking posted:

What's the best way to start out as the Zoroastrians that people have found? Immediately DoW a neighbor to build up some land? Or keep your event troops intact in order to fend off your preying neighbors? I've been trying the DoW method, but it seems that I just get crushed by 10k doomstacks no matter what I do, and so I'm not seeing the benefit of keeping around the 4k event troops.

You definitely need to pick off smaller neighbors with your event troops before the big Muslim powers take them. Don't DOW any big neighbors, and you might have to save-scum early if a big neighbor DOWs you. I just formed the kingdom of Khiva in 873, and if I save up enough for a horse archer mercenary troop, I can beat a 10k stack. If I manage to become the savior of the world or whatever then I will report here with my full strategy.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

SeaTard posted:

By far the most fun I've had with the Norse has been using Whiteshirt to win the opening war for Northumberland, creating a new city vassal, elevating him to Duke so he forms a merchant republic, and then save + restart as the new Doge. I've just been walking my stack of retinues in a circle around Ireland, looting every single province and using the gold to build more retinues for more pillaging. Plus, no need to worry about trying to reform, patrician elective ensures that my family keeps my land, even if I get booted from being the Doge.

If you elevate a city holder to duchy status will it automatically create a merchant republic? Do you first need to find a county that has a city capital? If you do this to yourself, can you control a merchant republic in addition to your primary title?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

If you elevate a city holder to duchy status will it automatically create a merchant republic? Do you first need to find a county that has a city capital? If you do this to yourself, can you control a merchant republic in addition to your primary title?

In an old game I accidentally gave a baron-level mayor a duchy, so I can vouch that any city holder elevated to duchy status that has a coast automatically creates a merchant republic.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Will that work if you, as a Duke, make your heir a City-level landowner? Will you have a republic when he inherits?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Ugh, so my unmodded TOG game consistently crashes a couple months from my savepoint. Is there a way to debug it and continue with the game? I really don't want to give up my current game :argh:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Spiderfist Island posted:

In an old game I accidentally gave a baron-level mayor a duchy, so I can vouch that any city holder elevated to duchy status that has a coast automatically creates a merchant republic.
Are they still vassals to you?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ludwig van Halen posted:

What determines a child's culture? My current ruler is Frankish, but both of his parents were Italians. I don't know how he could possibly be Frankish. All of his siblings are Italian too. Just this one kid decided to be Frankish.

He likes the way those people think.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Turns out that you can indeed have both Polygamy and Concubiny-thingy active at the same time, only that the concubines won't display in the "Secondary Wives" ui part.

Muslim raiding seems to work fine, but not sure how well the AI handles it (no long boat raiding from what I could tell in my short test game).

Also, it's a bit weird how all the world is willing to give up women for concubines, while refusing them as wife matches. Thought I noticed that as both Viking and Muslim rulers.

"My daughter for A WIFE? Begone you filthy pagan/heretic/moor!

Wait, it's just a fling thing? Why didn't you say so earlier?! Go ahead, go on, I won't keep you two! :thumbsup:"

Also it's pretty hilarious capturing enemy queens/wives, taking them as concubines to instant force-convert them before then letting them go.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

What the gently caress is up with the Karling realms? I swear, no matter what I do it turns into some type of ubermess. It's drivingme insane.

Edit: Also I spend way too much time cheating to try to stop my vassals from conquering weird poo poo. The expansion is fun. But my map OCD!

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 31, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Ludwig van Halen posted:

They're not so much tutors as they are surrogate families that take care of your kid because you're highborn and don't have time for child-rearing or "family". If you watch Game of Thrones, think Theon. Except your kid will hopefully be less of a fuckup.

texside
May 31, 2013

Gorelab posted:

What the gently caress is up with the Karling realms? I swear, no matter what I do it turns into some type of ubermess. It's drivingme insane.

Edit: Also I spend way too much time cheating to try to stop my vassals from conquering weird poo poo. The expansion is fun. But my map OCD!

They've got a lovely matching set of strong claims on each other:

- Charles the Bald (West Francia) has claims on Aquitaine, East Francia, Burgundy, and Italy.
- Lothaire II (Lotharingia and Burgundy) has claims on Italy and Bavaria.
- Ludwig II (East Francia) has claims on Aquitaine, West Francia, Burgundy, and Italy.
- Louis II (Italy) has claims on Burgundy, Bavaria, and Lotharingia.

And they're inheritable strong claims. Basically, if one guy presses them and gets lucky, he can make a blob that is essentially gonna be Charlemagne's empire.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, most of northern France has been under the rule of East Francia for so long that it's culture-shifted to German.

Most Frankish peoples are gone, except for the independent lands down south.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

texside posted:

- Charles the Bald (West Francia) has claims on Aquitaine, East Francia, Burgundy, and Italy.
- Ludwig II (East Francia) has claims on Aquitaine, West Francia, Burgundy, and Italy.

And they're inheritable strong claims. Basically, if one guy presses them and gets lucky, he can make a blob that is essentially gonna be Charlemagne's empire.

For me it's more that everyone has formed into weird things. Like Italy is now East Francia - Italy but owns parts of France and Aquintine at random, while Lotharingia owns bits in the other two and it's like oh dear lord stop, just consolidate for the love of god.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

texside posted:

It's because of this that I keep thinking that TOG gave us the perfect multiplayer setup for a 6-player deathmatch (counting Aquitaine and Bavaria) from the very start. Only 1 Karling can sit on the throne in Aachen. :black101:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Sankis posted:

They're not so much tutors as they are surrogate families that take care of your kid because you're highborn and don't have time for child-rearing or "family". If you watch Game of Thrones, think Theon. Except your kid will hopefully be less of a fuckup.

It's really more like Robert and Ned being tutored by Jon Arryn. Theon is a hostage to prevent future rebellion.
:goonsay:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

texside posted:

But can they fail hard enough to only rule 1 county in 200 years?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

In my friend's game the Carolingians had lost every single king title they started with by 930. So it's entirely within the realm of possibility

texside
May 31, 2013

Spiderfist Island posted:

It's because of this that I keep thinking that TOG gave us the perfect multiplayer setup for a 6-player deathmatch (counting Aquitaine and Bavaria) from the very start. Only 1 Karling can sit on the throne in Aachen. :black101:

It basically demands it. I think Aquitaine and Bavaria would be at a bit of a disadvantage -- fewer claims to press -- but Aquitaine is at least maybe slightly more defensible, versus Lotharingia and Bavaria, which are in the middle of things.

Pyromancer posted:

Not likely, admittedly. CK2 usually keeps dynasties around. I remember seeing Salians (albeit not emperors?) around in the 1350's in one game I played. I think dynasties just don't die out once they get pretty big.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Now, it used to be that you dropped your councillors in the capital in order to learn things there faster, right? Yeah, that no longer happens. The research options for your Steward, Marshal, and Religious Advisor (Chaplain, Seer, whatever) now are designed to increase the rate of technology spread. To properly utilize them, you place them in a province next to a high-tech province, to encourage the spread of those high technology levels into the new province (so, for example, if your capital is in Dublin and you learn a new level of Heavy Infantry, you might put your Marshal in Leinster to speed up the drift of your new Heavy Infantry level over to Leinster).

In one of the dev diaries they suggested using the advisors to promote 'corridors' of tech growth through your country, so that the tech levels can spread out from the corridors the way we're used to. A nice theory, but I don't know how practical it is in practice yet.

This is not always the best idea. If you play a technology backwater place like most Norse realms are, then the best course of action initially is to send your spymaster to an advanced county in the south, which should enable technology spread to your capital (often at quite high percentages, 10% chances are not uncommon). Then you drop your councilors in your capital to speed up tech growths, bringing these 10% chances per tech up to 15-20%, depending on the councilors stats. If your capital has no tech to speak of, you gain no advantages trying to spread non-existing techs to your neighboring counties.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I've had a character die whilst having the Berserker trait.

Ya, my White Shirt died getting cut down in a Berserker rage and when I tried Ivar, the same thing happened to him.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm not really remotely good at computer programming anymore, but is there any reason why gavelkind couldn't work a bit more sanely? Like try to fit everyone into de jure duchies/kingdoms rather than just kinda give random smatterings all over the place if at all possible while still keeping things even?

Edit: And if there's there's more than one top level title they should be split into independent realms rather than weird 20 counties to one all the top-level ones to the other who has one county.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 31, 2013

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

My current game has gotten weird, the entire world is a gigantic mess.

The Dutch kings of Aquitaine, see also the tiny lotharingia and the torn-apart and civil-war ridden germany- Most of the german coast is owned by Norway, Denmark (me), and the inddependent norse petty kingdom of Koln. Italy is in the midst of a huge civil war and at war with Baden.
Brittany has expanded to Ireland, Bavaria has eaten Moravia and Verona, Baden has moved to Slavonia.

In Spain, the Umayyads have conquered all of west Africa to go along with their Spanish holdings. Aragon, Castille and Asturias are the catholic powers, while Beja is a Norse petty kingdom that have torn a chunk out of umayyad Portugal (along with gibraltar and a piece of morroco).

In the Middle East, the massive Shia Sadaddin Sultanate controls most of the land, while in Persia the Zoroastrian Birunids have carved out a large chunk of land to call their own. Southern Arabia has an independent Ibadi emirate, while Abyssinia have unified east Africa. Another weird pop-up is yet another Norse petty kingdom, Damietta, the shia Norse currently at war with the last of the Tulinid Sultanate:

Eastern Europe is pretty much the uninterrupted Cuman Blob, with Novgorod as the only other power of consequence.

This is NOT a timeline for those who like pretty borders.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Torrannor posted:

This is not always the best idea. If you play a technology backwater place like most Norse realms are, then the best course of action initially is to send your spymaster to an advanced county in the south, which should enable technology spread to your capital (often at quite high percentages, 10% chances are not uncommon). Then you drop your councilors in your capital to speed up tech growths, bringing these 10% chances per tech up to 15-20%, depending on the councilors stats. If your capital has no tech to speak of, you gain no advantages trying to spread non-existing techs to your neighboring counties.

Not only he boosts every tech increase chance(provided it's higher in county you placed him), but his old steal tech event now gives you 50 tech points to distribute and it's still fairly high probability, way more than great philosopher.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Qwo posted:

Will that work if you, as a Duke, make your heir a City-level landowner? Will you have a republic when he inherits?

Sadly, no; when he inherits your Duchy, he gains your castle holdings and makes them his primary titles.

CapnAndy posted:

Are they still vassals to you?

If you create a new merchant republic in a duchy you control they remain your vassals, yes.

Torrannor posted:

Ooo, that's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I keep forgetting about tech theft because I habitually keep my spymaster on Scheme in my capital to serve as Plot Defense.

EDIT: The house of af Ivar is on a quest to pretty up the world's borders by turning everything a soothing shade of blue.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 31, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Married my daughter to the King of Sweden, and all was going well. Over the course of almost two decades, he called me into a dozen or so wars to consolidate his land, and start expanding into mainland Europe. I received another CtA from him, and just before automatically accepting, I happened to notice who it was against.

What you can't see in that screenshot is that the two Kings can call up just under 100k troops between the two of them, while I can just barely get 10k, and Sweden is about 17k. I have no idea what the hell he was thinking, but that was the first CtA I declined all game. No way in hell was I going to jeopardize my slowly expanding realm for his fool's errand.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SeaTard posted:

What you can't see in that screenshot is that the two Kings can call up just under 100k troops between the two of them, while I can just barely get 10k, and Sweden is about 17k. I have no idea what the hell he was thinking, but that was the first CtA I declined all game. No way in hell was I going to jeopardize my slowly expanding realm for his fool's errand.

That's not how to Viking.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

You know what's cool? Realizing that one of your vassals conquered Rome while you weren't paying attention. Like, I looked up one day and poof! Rome was mine.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

That's not how to Viking.

Are you saying he should take the fight, or that the King of Sweden should not? Either way, I agree.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Liberatore posted:

Are you saying he should take the fight, or that the King of Sweden should not? Either way, I agree.

The former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Would there be any way to mod the game so that vassals can't do out of realm conquests? Having my vassals randomly go after things half the map away is getting kinda crazy, especially when they'll remain my vassal afterwards.

• Locked thread