Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mercury Crusader posted:

Mario & Sonic at the Race Track

(it'll be a horseracing simulator)

(and a gambling simulator)

I'm only playing this if Epona is unlockable. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Xavier434 posted:

I'm only playing this if Epona is unlockable. :colbert:

Epona vs. Yoshi vs. Okami vs. Ecco

GO!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Epona vs. Yoshi vs. Okami vs. Ecco

GO!

Ecco is immediantly eaten by an alien at the start of the race

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Ecco is immediantly eaten by an alien at the start of the race

Oops, forgot to feed Yoshi again. Oh well.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Sonic Transformed couldve used an Ecco stage. Cars driving on the sea floor in a shark tube, boats zipping through Atlantis, until eventually taking to the skies to combat the Vortex queen.

Edit: Also, a Dobuita stage couldnt hurt!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gutcruncher posted:

Sonic Transformed couldve used an Ecco stage. Cars driving on the sea floor in a shark tube, boats zipping through Atlantis, until eventually taking to the skies to combat the Vortex queen.

Edit: Also, a Dobuita stage couldnt hurt!

Or an Eternal Champions stage where you murder the competition through an open fan.

:unsmigghh:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Or an Eternal Champions stage where you murder the competition through an open fan.

:unsmigghh:

Just multiple time portals and sections of different eras. You drive by the Chicago theater and the ticket lady shoots at you with a shotgun. You drive by the Russian circus tent and a clown car tries to fall on you. You drive by Washington D.C. and you see Bill Clinton run into a burger joint. :allears:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Handsome Ralph posted:

So my Wii U has the invalid disc error issue, Nintendo sent me a shipping label for repairs after a quick phone call.

I really wanted to spend my weekend playing Zombiu :(

So the 'Like New' Wii U you ordered has a crippling hardware problem, necessitating a manufacturer return.

That sounds fishy as hell. I'd talk to Amazon about one of their sellers giving you a $330 brick.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mercury Crusader posted:

Just multiple time portals and sections of different eras. You drive by the Chicago theater and the ticket lady shoots at you with a shotgun. You drive by the Russian circus tent and a clown car tries to fall on you. You drive by Washington D.C. and you see Bill Clinton run into a burger joint. :allears:

There are so many forgotten IPs I wish Nintendo would convince Sega to revive for them exclusively. Eternal Champions, Comix Zone, World Series Baseball, Skies of Arcadia (which keeps being rumoured to actually happen) or hell just put Sonic CD on the Virtual Console.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Red posted:

So the 'Like New' Wii U you ordered has a crippling hardware problem, necessitating a manufacturer return.

That sounds fishy as hell. I'd talk to Amazon about one of their sellers giving you a $330 brick.

Absolutely do this, i've heard amazon is very generous involving warehouse deals. You'll probably get some credit out of it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Red posted:

The system was essentially brand new as far as I could tell with the box just being a little worn out. Nothing had been opened or touched, and the system had also never been powered on and the cords/controllers were wrapped in plastic still just like a new one would arrive. The box actually had an inventory sticker that said new on it that was covered by the "like new" sticker. I'm just guessing someone dinged the box and they wrote it off, which apparently happens all the time with them. Hell, the systems bundled in games weren't even opened.

It was bought from Amazon Warehouse Deals, which is pretty much an extension of Amazon, so I doubt they were trying to pull one over on me. So if Nintendo for whatever reason tells me that it's not being fixed under warranty because of some physical damage I'm not seeing, I have 30 days to return it to Amazon to get my money back, no questions asked since it was technically a used item.

I already dropped the system off with UPS to send it to Nintendo. I could call Amazon and whine, but I'm sure they'll likely just tell me to send the system back.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

There are so many forgotten IPs I wish Nintendo would convince Sega to revive for them exclusively. Eternal Champions, Comix Zone, World Series Baseball, Skies of Arcadia (which keeps being rumoured to actually happen) or hell just put Sonic CD on the Virtual Console.

I know. If there's one thing Sega was pretty good at during their time as a console maker, it was all those new IPs they constantly churned out. Kid Chameleon, Golden Axe, Bonanza Bros, Fantasy Zone, etc. I wish some of their more experimental games could get a modern remake or something but maintain the original gameplay. Personally, I want to see a new Gain Ground.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

I already dropped the system off with UPS to send it to Nintendo. I could call Amazon and whine, but I'm sure they'll likely just tell me to send the system back.

It doesn't hurt to try? You had to send it to the manufacturer for repair the minute got the thing. If you're persistant they might give you something!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

It doesn't hurt to try? You had to send it to the manufacturer for repair the minute got the thing. If you're persistant they might give you something!

I ended up sending them an email saying Nintendo was taking it in and fixing it under warranty but if there was evidence of it being like dropped or something, they'll return it to me as out of warranty. So I basically just asked them to clarify that the return policy is in effect for 30 days in case I do need to return it and made a point of being slightly annoyed about the whole deal. Google suggests a lot of people had this issue with launch units, so I'm pretty sure it was a manufacturing flaw and nothing Amazon did.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
My first Wii U was a brick. Brand new, box didnt even look dinged. Just bad luck

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Gutcruncher posted:

My first Wii U was a brick. Brand new, box didnt even look dinged. Just bad luck

Mine too! We took it home from Best Buy on launch day and it refused to turn on at all. Nintendo tried to walk us through a power brick reset but that did not work, so we just took it back and exchanged it for a different one at the store.

TombstoneTromboner
Dec 26, 2012

the original
I had my launch Wii U break after a couple months for no reason. It was pretty weird.

Fortunately, getting it replaced by Nintendo was pretty easy, and this one's been working fine. I unfortunately lost my save data, but I didn't have much of that Wii U wise, and anything I planned to play on Wii again, I was going to start over anyhow.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
My Wii U's drive was also DOA straight out of the box. Thankfully, Nintendo Canada's customer service was fantastic.

Come to think of it, every single Nintendo product I've ever owned except for the GameBoy Micro has gone back for warranty repairs; I'm clearly cursed.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

only on miiverse

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
You must be cursed all my Nintendo products work great. Never had to call them once.

Matter of fact I just put new (watch) batteries in DK game and watch. Still works!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pixeltendo posted:

only on miiverse

This one is the funniest to me. To someone born after y2k, this screen must look like moon language.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
Miiverse is the first thing that has actually made me feel old.

The discussion about smash bros and kart racing earlier made me want two games for the Wii U:
1: Bullet-hell meets Sonic Transformed. Wiimotes work together on the big screen in third person, gamepad is top-down to either help or be the enemy. Stages could either switch between terrain/underwater/water surface/sky or people could transform at will.

2: Smash-rostered sports + kart racing like a "Smash Universe Tournament" or something.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pixeltendo posted:

only on miiverse

Calling bullshit on number 1 since he has everything.

The other 2, goddammit. :cripes:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Magnatux posted:

2: Smash-rostered sports + kart racing like a "Smash Universe Tournament" or something.

Super Nintendo Kart. The only downside I see is that to have Samus in her ship race Link on Epona one of them would have to have a ludicrous speed change.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't blame a kid one bit for seeing a screen full of unexplained numbers and wondering what it's for. That mechanic was already on its way out in the 90s, why would teens today recognize it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't blame a kid one bit for seeing a screen full of unexplained numbers and wondering what it's for. That mechanic was already on its way out in the 90s, why would teens today recognize it?

Just going to the password screen when starting up the game would make it really obvious. But yeah, without that previous knowledge...

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Okay, to be completely fair, that kid in the bee hole was me at 7 years old after a few years of growing up on the classic series. The game was a rental with no manual and it never occurred to me that Megaman could now scale walls. I ended up just running behind them and shooting their asses to avoid falling in and didn't figure out wall climbing until I ran into a less avoidable impasse.

As for the password screen... Yeah, that's right, you kids today have it easy. Uphill both ways, and we had to farm our own E-Tanks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hobo Siege posted:

As for the password screen... Yeah, that's right, you kids today have it easy. Uphill both ways, and we had to farm our own E-Tanks.

Luxury! In my day, we had to do it with half a health bar, in dire need of weapon energy, and our mam turning off the console right as we got to the last boss because it was time for bed. :corsair:.

Pixeltendo posted:

only on miiverse

The password one's a bit believable. Password screens have been dead since the early 90's after all, and that was... twenty... years ago... Oh god, I feel old :cripes:.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Luxury! In my day, we had to do it with half a health bar, in dire need of weapon energy, and our mam turning off the console right as we got to the last boss because it was time for bed. :corsair:.

The password one's a bit believable. Password screens have been dead since the early 90's after all, and that was... twenty... years ago... Oh god, I feel old :cripes:.

Join the club. Remember floppy disks?

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.

Bruceski posted:

You talkin' bout that new-fangled A drive or the B drive, whose disks were actually floppy?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Magnatux posted:

You talkin' bout that new-fangled A drive or the B drive, whose disks were actually floppy?

A and B aren't descriptors of the type of disk, just which part of the cable the drive is hooked up to.

I was hoping to find shots of Hitler getting shot in the ball in the Sniper Elite community and I came away disappointed. :(

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Really quick thing about those floppy disks - I read in an article that someone plugged in a USB floppy drive to an iPad ..... And it worked...

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Bruceski posted:

My company still uses them as an integral part of our software. :tipshat:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pixeltendo posted:

only on miiverse

This is far from the first time that something made me feel old, but for some reason this one burns worse than most.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
The password one amuses me more than saddens. I'd be confused as gently caress to if I'd been spoiled growing up with auto saves and chapter checkpoints.

Hell If kids are having problems with Mega Man X, I want to see what they think of Ghouls and Ghosts if they took advantage of the deal. That game is vastly more brutal then Mega man X.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

So one cool thing ended up happening for me despite having to send my console in for repair. Because Nintendoland was a download code with my bundle, it counted as sixty dollars worth of Deluxe Rewards points. So I got a five dollar voucher for the E-Shop without buying anything other than Metroid for .30 cents.

Too bad I won't get my system back before that Mega Man/Ghouls and Ghosts deal ends, cause that would have been an easy sale for me.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 31, 2013

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Russad posted:

My company still uses them as an integral part of our software. :tipshat:

Can I ask what company? Daaaaamn.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

So one cool thing ended up happening for me despite having to send my console in for repair. Because Nintendoland was a download code with my bundle, it counted as sixty dollars worth of Deluxe Rewards points. So I got a five dollar voucher for the E-Shop without buying anything other than Metroid for .30 cents.

Too bad I won't get my system back before that Mega Man/Ghouls and Ghosts deal ends, cause that would have been an easy sale for me.

You might be able to get in touch with them and mention this. I seem to recall someone earlier in this thread saying they had done something similar and the console returned to them with whatever game it was they had asked about.

Rocco posted:

Can I ask what company? Daaaaamn.

We sell process control software. I've been told we're finally dropping floppies in our next software release, but who knows how long it will be until all of our customers have upgraded.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Xavier434 posted:

This is far from the first time that something made me feel old, but for some reason this one burns worse than most.

I know what you mean, and for me it's mostly the correct grammar and spelling. I'm used to kids who say things like this sounding like, well, little kids. Seeing the question posed in that way is kind of a kick in the nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Passwords were the best. I still remember a bunch of the passwords for Aladdin on the SNES :buddy:

Genie, Jafar, Aladdin, Abu for the Genie level which I used to love for some reason.

gently caress, time to dig out my SNES.

e: That game will be 20 this November :gonk:

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 31, 2013

• Locked thread