Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

frenchnewwave posted:

I think you're all probably right and last night was an experiment to see if she could/would sleep on her own. I never let it get to crying, just endless fussing. I am getting so much pressure from friends, family, dr, that if she doesn't learn to self soothe now, I'll be dealing with this for years to come. I'm a first time mom, sometimes I don't know wtf to believe.

So, probably the best thing to do is just let her nurse to sleep so at least both of us get some sleep. Maybe she's just not ready yet.

It's hard, everyone has opinions and everyone tries to convince everyone else that their experience is/will be universal. Do what's best for you and your family and what you know works.

Our (childless) pediatrician keeps telling me not to nurse Simon in our bed and instead to put him in his bed with a pacifier and let that soothe him. If that worked I would totally do that because I love sleep, but unfortunately it doesn't. So I nurse him for a bit until he's asleep and then put him back in his bed and feel like a zombie at work the next day if it happens more than once a night :( it sucks but it won't last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I just lied to prying family members. My daughter was a horrible (as in, up at least 6 times a night) until 2. Suddenly something just clicked and now she sleeps all night in her own bed. From 6 months on we just coslept so she could nurse.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
My son started nursing half minute sessions like twenty times a night when he was almost one. At that point he was old enough (and he didn't really need calories at night, he wasn't really drinking, just comfort nursing) that we did night weaning. His dad would sit with him and comfort him and offer water, but he had to stay in his crib. After a week he slept a lot better. So I would keep nursing at night for now, and maybe try some gentle methods at a later point. Good for you for not giving in to what everyone around you says.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

frenchnewwave posted:

I think you're all probably right and last night was an experiment to see if she could/would sleep on her own. I never let it get to crying, just endless fussing. I am getting so much pressure from friends, family, dr, that if she doesn't learn to self soothe now, I'll be dealing with this for years to come. I'm a first time mom, sometimes I don't know wtf to believe.

So, probably the best thing to do is just let her nurse to sleep so at least both of us get some sleep. Maybe she's just not ready yet.

My daughter woke up twice a night to feed until she was 18 months old. I didn't like waking up over and over, but I did it because I figured it's what she needed. My pediatrician, health visitor and public health nurse all told me to do cry it out with her, but that's not for me. Anyways, my daughter is almost 4 now, and since she was 18 months old she sleeps like a log through the whole night, every single night. A lot of my friends' "cry it out" kiddos are having problems with nightmares and staying in bed now. I know correlation =/= causation, but I'm happy we did it the gentle way.

You will NOT be up all night for forever. Try to find something you like about it. Snuggle her. Remember childhood is short and that she gets so much comfort from you. Good luck.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I know some people on here are into it, but I would suggest never sleeping in a bed with an infant. It is demonstrably dangerous and babies die every year from it. As with any parenting advice, along with sleep strategies, talk to your doctor and peers and do your own research. Don't feel bad if you choose a method that some people don't agree with. Advice always changes and some people derive their self worth from judging and denouncing other people's parenting methods. Do what you think is best for your family and everything will be fine.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Ariza posted:

I know some people on here are into it, but I would suggest never sleeping in a bed with an infant. It is demonstrably dangerous and babies die every year from it. As with any parenting advice, along with sleep strategies, talk to your doctor and peers and do your own research. Don't feel bad if you choose a method that some people don't agree with. Advice always changes and some people derive their self worth from judging and denouncing other people's parenting methods. Do what you think is best for your family and everything will be fine.

A six month old is hardly an infant though.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

rectal cushion posted:

A six month old is hardly an infant though.

Edit - I think this exact topic and me arguing with everyone is why this thread got locked last time. If you're going to share a bed with a baby, do your own research outside of this forum.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 24, 2013

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Regarding loveychat: Someone posted a link to a website where people could post classified ads looking to replace lost loveys, does anyone have that link?

My daughter absconded with a random stuffed animal from the demo cribs at Target this past weekend and we were unable to get her to part with it before we left the store. I couldn't find one on the shelf to buy but the cashier was really gracious and charged me a dollar for it. However, I can't find it online for sale anywhere and I'm dreading what would happen if it gets lost.

This is what I'm talking about : http://www.target.com/p/just-one-you-made-by-carters-girl-bunny-beanbag/-/A-14383954

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I found a Kermit the Frog doll on clearance for a dollar that Jasper seems to love compared to anything else we bought him. Of course I can't find another one for a backup anywhere. I'm hoping if he does lose it, another Kermit the Frog would be good enough.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ariza posted:

My son sleeps in bed with us for the last few hours of every night, and when he's in his crib his favorite sleeping arrangement is with his lovey completely covering his face. Last night our dog also sneaked into the bed at around 3am (don't worry, he weighs less than the kid). When we found out my wife was pregnant, we bought a king size bed for a reason.

If you don't smoke, drink/do drugs, aren't obese, your baby is generally healthy, and take basic common-sense measures (plenty of room on the mattress, no big blankets on baby, back sleep, etc) the risks associated with co-sleeping are very, very small. The vast majority of co-sleeping deaths occur in babies under 2-3 months old, because that's when most people are co-sleeping and when babies are more fragile. By 6 months, the risk of SIDS has dropped exponentially.

This quote is where I basically fall:

quote:

Based on evidence from research into SIDS it is questionable whether advice to avoid bed sharing is generalisable and whether such a simplistic approach would do no harm. Parents of young infants need to feed them during the night, sometimes several times, and if we demonise the parents’ bed we may be in danger of the sofa being chosen. A better approach may be to warn parents of the specific circumstances that put infants at risk. Parents need to be advised never to put themselves in a situation where they might fall asleep with a young infant on a sofa. Parents also need to be reminded that they should never cosleep with an infant in any environment if they have consumed alcohol or drugs.

http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b3666

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

frenchnewwave posted:

All kids are different, but if you hit upon the right combination of stuff it can happen super fast. Chris went from bedsharing and waking up every two hours to nurse through sleeping through the night in his own room within like three weeks, turns out all we had to do was put a foam pad in the bassinet - he'd spent his entire life sleeping on a pillow top mattress so the bassinet pad was too hard for him. The No Cry didn't work for him, so we ended up letting him cry a little and soothing him really often, and starting over if he REALLY got upset.

He also never got really attached to nay stuffed animal, but he did choose a blankie - a knit blanket that is nice and thin and can be used in any weather. I'm probably hosed if that thing comes apart but it seems to have held up pretty well so far.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

frenchnewwave posted:

I'm going to try the lovey thing tonight as well. I'd been so afraid of her covering her face with it (right now everything goes in her mouth or on her face) but I bought an Aden and Anais muslin security blanket and tied a bit knot in it.

That's exactly what our ped suggested to do if I felt nervous about a blankey! For a while I'd also tuck the stuffed bunny's ear into my son's mouth and he'd suck them and fall asleep.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

FordCQC posted:

Regarding loveychat: Someone posted a link to a website where people could post classified ads looking to replace lost loveys, does anyone have that link?

My daughter absconded with a random stuffed animal from the demo cribs at Target this past weekend and we were unable to get her to part with it before we left the store. I couldn't find one on the shelf to buy but the cashier was really gracious and charged me a dollar for it. However, I can't find it online for sale anywhere and I'm dreading what would happen if it gets lost.

This is what I'm talking about : http://www.target.com/p/just-one-you-made-by-carters-girl-bunny-beanbag/-/A-14383954

I just did a "Find In Store" on that from the website you linked and it shows as in stock at 3 of my 5 local Target stores, so it's still in stock in at least certain stores without paying the finder's fee one of those sites is likely to charge. I'll keep an eye open for you next time I hit up Target and will gladly pick one up, but it would be cheaper for you to find it using their "Find in Store" function and not have to pay shipping. (Did you check in the baby aisles? I remember that toy hanging with the onesies, socks, and bibs, not in the toy department)

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

frenchnewwave posted:

My son required patting for literally up to two hours per night to go to sleep until into his second year, and then one night like a light switch he didn't need us anymore. He just lay down and fell asleep alone and the patting was over forever and he still falls asleep happily by himself at nearly 4. She will learn to self-soothe when she is ready to, I promise. She will at some point stop needing to eat overnight, and she'll learn that you'll still be there if she needs you and it's not so scary to go to sleep by herself.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

FordCQC posted:

That was me.

http://www.lostmylovey.com/index.php/lost-items/listings

It's a last resort, if you can't find it at a Target near you, and Amazon is a bust.

Re: Sleep chat and nursing etc. Side nursing and sleeping with Liam was an absolute miracle. I slept so much more than I did with Tim. We did it most nights until he was 3-4 months old. I would go bed in my bed, then with the first waking, go in and sleep with Liam in the spare bed for the rest of the night. So. Much. Sleep. Then, around 4 months, I started with a "boobs are food" sort of approach. I'd go in and nurse when he wanted, but it was right back to his crib instead of us both passing out. But if he woke up again, or was agitated, we just slept together again. It honestly didn't take more than a couple weeks for him to lay right back down on his own, and stop side nursing with me. Then we gradually moved on to, "let's see if a paci will do, instead of a feed" approach, to back the feedings down to one instead of multiple. If he took the paci, great! If not, he ate, no fuss, no problem. (Tim was the same way, only with pumped bottles instead of nursing.) By about 7-8 months or so, it was one down-to-business feeding a night, then right back into the crib, until about one-ish. Hmm. I want to say Tim mostly slept through by about 18 months, and Liam was sooner. 14 months or so.

Frenchnewwave, I too am a big fan of the No Cry book. It helped me tremendously with Tim, and helped me start Liam off on a better foot with sleeping right from the start--to avoid having to back a toddler down from disruptive sleep habits in the first place. It's pretty much what I described--you try a small, new thing. A tiny change. It worked? Huzzah! No luck this time? Go back to the usual, and try it again next time. Then change a tiny bit more. Bit by bit, things change for good, and no one has to cry anything out.

BUT, here's the thing. There's only a sleep "problem" if YOU have a problem. If you get up multiple times to nurse the baby, irrespective of age, and you're cool with that, then all is well. If you side nurse and sleep with her and like it--awesome! Other people can suck it! But if YOU are dragging and need more sleep, then start making gradual changes. It's really up to you--and no child goes off to kindergarten needing to get nursed or rocked or whatever to sleep, so don't beat yourself up worrying about bullshit like that. ;)

Babies are rough. There is zero shame in doing what's easiest during the night. Good luck, and this too shall pass. (You'll wake up tomorrow and be attending preschool graduation wondering where your baby went! :cry: Kindergarten in August--where did the time go? And Liam starts nursery school!)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good sturdy umbrella style stroller for slightly taller than average people? We have one but we hate it because both my wife and I have to bend over slightly to push it. Something with taller handles or adjustable would be great.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Oh man, every time I see taller people pushing umbrella strollers my back aches in sympathy. Those things are always so low, I guess that's the price you pay for their compactness though.

I've seen Maclaren strollers with adjustable handles, they are similar to the umbrella kind but are fancier (and more expensive) than your average $20 umbrella stroller though.

iwik fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 27, 2013

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

iwik posted:

Oh man, every time I see taller people pushing umbrella strollers my back aches in sympathy. Those things are always so low, I guess that's the price you pay for their compactness though.

I've seen Maclaren strollers with adjustable handles, they are similar to the umbrella kind but are fancier (and more expensive) than your average $20 umbrella stroller though.

Ugh. Our first pram was too low for me and I'd have to push it weirdly. Got an umbrella stroller with extra long handles and its awesome. Then we got given a second hand pram with adjustable strollers and I'm in pram heaven.

I honestly think makers of most baby products think Dad's don't do anything. Dad's being generally taller.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I've done a one-handed walk kinda next to the stroller thing before after pushing one of those too-low things around. Got a few odd looks.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

FishBulb posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good sturdy umbrella style stroller for slightly taller than average people? We have one but we hate it because both my wife and I have to bend over slightly to push it. Something with taller handles or adjustable would be great.

I'm 6 even. Have this one. It's great.
http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Yea...brella+stroller

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Fionnoula posted:

I just did a "Find In Store" on that from the website you linked and it shows as in stock at 3 of my 5 local Target stores, so it's still in stock in at least certain stores without paying the finder's fee one of those sites is likely to charge. I'll keep an eye open for you next time I hit up Target and will gladly pick one up, but it would be cheaper for you to find it using their "Find in Store" function and not have to pay shipping. (Did you check in the baby aisles? I remember that toy hanging with the onesies, socks, and bibs, not in the toy department)

Weird, I did try that when I posted the link and it was out, but moreso weird that I didn't find it at my local store yesterday but it's apparently in today. Oh well, guess I'll need to swing by and take a look this week. and yeah, it's definitely in the baby section.

Thanks for the link again also, AlistairCookie

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Besides a frozen/cold wash cloth what can I do for teething in a 3 month old? My sweet, amazing child has turned evil over night. I know orajel isn't suggested so no worries there, but curious what everyone suggests.

Also, I picked up a new ergo while in Oklahoma and fell in love. It makes life and flying so much easier. Which he does REALLY well with flying... Until we land and are stuck waiting our turn. Then he cries. But otherwise people don't even realize he's there.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

Besides a frozen/cold wash cloth what can I do for teething in a 3 month old? My sweet, amazing child has turned evil over night. I know orajel isn't suggested so no worries there, but curious what everyone suggests.

Tylenol/motrin. Orajel makes a natural oral gel that is now safe to use, as well. It doesn't seem to really help my son, though.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

bamzilla posted:

Tylenol/motrin. Orajel makes a natural oral gel that is now safe to use, as well. It doesn't seem to really help my son, though.

That's because its homeopathic. Almost all non benzocane teething stuff for babies is just homeopath garbage. The ones that might potentially work are the ones with clove oil. I could only find one at the store that had clove oil in it, but it also had willow tree bark extract and I didn't think that would be very good to give to a baby.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Baby shower coming up for a coworker/friend's first! They are planning something fun and making the baby shower double as a 'reveal' party- they will get the gender from the nurse but not look at it, and have a bakery custom bake a cake with white frosting but colored cake inside, so when they cut the cake, everyone will know if it's a boy or girl!

I will be getting her a seahorse of course, but also had recommended the 'Black on White' books by Tana hoban, which (from my very quick glance at amazon) seem to be geared towards early learning if shapes. Any feedback on these?

May also see if coworkers will go in with me to do a 'mom' gift like a spa day or something.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lullabee posted:

Also, I picked up a new ergo while in Oklahoma and fell in love. It makes life and flying so much easier. Which he does REALLY well with flying... Until we land and are stuck waiting our turn. Then he cries. But otherwise people don't even realize he's there.

Are you sure it's teething? Many babies become fussier at around three months, for various reasons. Also the salivary glands start producing a lot more, giving the appearance that teeth are on their way. I thought my son was teething at that age, but no teeth appeared until six months.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

EVG posted:

Baby shower coming up for a coworker/friend's first! They are planning something fun and making the baby shower double as a 'reveal' party- they will get the gender from the nurse but not look at it, and have a bakery custom bake a cake with white frosting but colored cake inside, so when they cut the cake, everyone will know if it's a boy or girl!

I will be getting her a seahorse of course, but also had recommended the 'Black on White' books by Tana hoban, which (from my very quick glance at amazon) seem to be geared towards early learning if shapes. Any feedback on these?

May also see if coworkers will go in with me to do a 'mom' gift like a spa day or something.

A seahorse is wonderful. As for other things, I like do an "essentials" basket for baby shower gifts. Especially since you don't know the gender yet. A nice cloth-lined wicker or woven basket filled with baby lotion and baby wash, butt paste, baby tylenol drops, baby gas drops, wipes, baby vicks rub, first aid kit with a nose bulb and clippers, baby vicks plug-ins for the wall, etc. You can pack the bottom of the basket with diapers too, and then they have a nice storage basket. I know it's not glamorous, but I find it to be extremely well received and helpful. Especially since some of the things, a new mom may not think to have on hand in advance. Like when you need gas drops, you NEED them now and don't want to take a trip to the store.

Lullabee, I agree with rectal cushion. At three months, teething is certainly not unheard of, but they get fussy for reasons that are a complete mystery to us, and kick the drool into high gear anyway. Tim wore a bib non-stop from newborn until just about one because he was just a drool monster, and he didn't cut teeth until he was 10 months. She may not be teething at all, just going through a cranky phase.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Alterian posted:

That's because its homeopathic. Almost all non benzocane teething stuff for babies is just homeopath garbage. The ones that might potentially work are the ones with clove oil. I could only find one at the store that had clove oil in it, but it also had willow tree bark extract and I didn't think that would be very good to give to a baby.

Our Orajel Naturals teething gel has Eugenol in it, which is derived from clove oil. Based on how my finger feels after applying it, it certainly is a anesthetic. And it does work for us--our daughter definitely feels better after we get a little of it on. It lasts long enough for the Tylenol to kick in, at least.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
The surgeon packed my socket with clove oil-soaked gauze when I had dry socket after wisdom tooth removal. DEFINITELY helped.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Axiem posted:

Our Orajel Naturals teething gel has Eugenol in it, which is derived from clove oil. Based on how my finger feels after applying it, it certainly is a anesthetic. And it does work for us--our daughter definitely feels better after we get a little of it on. It lasts long enough for the Tylenol to kick in, at least.

Yeah. Like I said, some of them do have clove oil which would have an effect, but some of the natural orajels don't. I haven't been able to find any oragel locally with clove oil in it. The website for orajel natural doesn't even have the kind with clove oil in it now.
http://babyorajelnaturals.com/?gclid=CK7ivN-BubcCFcqZ4AodhhAALQ

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Beichan posted:

My son required patting for literally up to two hours per night to go to sleep until into his second year, and then one night like a light switch he didn't need us anymore. He just lay down and fell asleep alone and the patting was over forever and he still falls asleep happily by himself at nearly 4. She will learn to self-soothe when she is ready to, I promise. She will at some point stop needing to eat overnight, and she'll learn that you'll still be there if she needs you and it's not so scary to go to sleep by herself.

Just wanted to thank you for this post. My son is almost 17 months old now and STILL will not just lie down and go to sleep, and last night he literally nursed all night long, I don't know if he actually got any sleep at all. He fights sleep literally kicking and screaming and I can't even be near him at bedtime anymore because he just won't quit, he wants to stay up and nurse. Dad has to put him to bed and it is still an ordeal of an hour or more. We have tried every sleep method except CIO, he won't take a pacifier instead of my boob, nor will he suck his thumb, he has no lovey, he's rejected 3 cribs...It was just a bad night (on top of a lot of other bad nights) and I needed this encouragement.

Deep breath and back into the fray.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I honestly didn't even think it was teething until my family held him and he chewed on their hands. They said they felt teeth coming in, but I'm just clueless about it all. I'm not doing any drastic measures, so I don't see the harm of doing cold washcloths even if he's not teething. He's taken to chewing, not sucking, on everything. His hands, toys, our fingers. I guess we'll see if he truly is or not. Nothing soothes him though. Just random screams. Not hungry, not reflex, not tired, just... Irritable. Nothing we do comforts him. He also has started waking up through the night again to eat, so it very well may be the 3 month thing.

I'm just glad I'm a stay at home mom, cause all of this is super draining. I have major respect for working mothers now.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Lullabee posted:

I honestly didn't even think it was teething until my family held him and he chewed on their hands. They said they felt teeth coming in, but I'm just clueless about it all. I'm not doing any drastic measures, so I don't see the harm of doing cold washcloths even if he's not teething. He's taken to chewing, not sucking, on everything. His hands, toys, our fingers. I guess we'll see if he truly is or not. Nothing soothes him though. Just random screams. Not hungry, not reflex, not tired, just... Irritable. Nothing we do comforts him. He also has started waking up through the night again to eat, so it very well may be the 3 month thing.

I'm just glad I'm a stay at home mom, cause all of this is super draining. I have major respect for working mothers now.

My kid is 14 weeks and is a screamy, irritable mess. He is also no longer sleeping through the night and is drooling and chewing on his hands, my hands, toys, my shoulder - anything at all near his mouth. Definitely no teeth involved so far.

And I can confirm that working and dealing with a miserable baby every moment that I am not at work really, really sucks. I wish I knew how to help him feel better but it seems like it's a developmental thing that will pass sooner or later.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I also have a fussy 14 week old. Eats all night, is frustrated, drools. She's almost rolling back to belly now, I'm hoping she'll get less frustrated when she masters that skill. It's been a rough few weeks in the rectal cushion family.

Edit: here she is, working hard!

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 28, 2013

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Lullabee posted:

Aibhilin's teeth poked through the surface for the first time at just over 4 months. I thought everyone who told me she was teething was crazy but I guess they weren't! We used tylenol and washcloths, I bought a raspberry teether but it's too big for her mouth still. Mostly she just gnaws on anything nearby.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

We bought our 17 month old a potty training toilet, and she goes crazy to use it. She'll repeat a phrase of babble that clearly ends with 'potty' and tries to go up the stairs toward the bathroom. She doesn't do anything except sit on it, and then grabs a small piece of toilet paper and tries to wipe.

I'm scared to ignore her pleas because I want her to know how to signal for us, but I don't want to run her to the bathroom so she can effectively 'play'.

Any advice?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

me your dad posted:

We bought our 17 month old a potty training toilet, and she goes crazy to use it. She'll repeat a phrase of babble that clearly ends with 'potty' and tries to go up the stairs toward the bathroom. She doesn't do anything except sit on it, and then grabs a small piece of toilet paper and tries to wipe.

I'm scared to ignore her pleas because I want her to know how to signal for us, but I don't want to run her to the bathroom so she can effectively 'play'.

Any advice?

I would let her. It's good to get comfortable with going to the toilet even if she might not be ready yet to actually be able to use it. My son is verrrrry skeptical of the toilet unfortunately.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

me your dad posted:

Any advice?

How about integrating the toilet into your daily routine a bit? That's what we're doing with my 18-month old sone. He sits on the potty before his bath in the evening, and also sometimes too in the middle of a diaper change when I've got his pants off anyway. He's gotten pretty reliable over the last month with actually going when he sits on the potty, but I'm not in a hurry to get him potty trained.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks. I like the idea of introducing her at appropriate times - first thing in the morning, when changing in the evening/bath time. And maybe we'll concede to her potty-babble on occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I know some parents here do infant lead weaning and I was wondering if there is any difference between formula fed babies and breast fed babies. All the on line guides I've read assume you're breastfeeding.

Jasper is now a little more than 6 months so we're working on introducing foods. He absolutely does not like to be fed with a spoon. The only exception is baby oatmeal watered down with formula, but not a baby spoon, an adult sized spoon, so he can blow bubbles in it and laugh while he eats it.

He does seem to enjoy picking up avocado and apple slices and scraping them along his two bottom teeth. I figure he's enjoying feeding himself and the first stages of infant led weaning I might as well go with that method.