Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

n8r posted:

Just takes once.

Agreed. It could happen. I ran GP shift previously for a while and getting acquainted with it wasn't hard. It was having one bike GP shift and another normal I found so dangerous.

I was actually having a few problems on the track needed to shift at certain lean angles and not being able to with a regular pattern and was going to give it a try. This just forced my hand. Nothing for it but to be careful and try not to gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Spiffness posted:

Agreed. It could happen. I ran GP shift previously for a while and getting acquainted with it wasn't hard. It was having one bike GP shift and another normal I found so dangerous.

I was actually having a few problems on the track needed to shift at certain lean angles and not being able to with a regular pattern and was going to give it a try. This just forced my hand. Nothing for it but to be careful and try not to gently caress up.

Quite a few racers run standard shift and I assure you they are far faster than you.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

n8r posted:

Quite a few racers run standard shift and I assure you they are far faster than you.

No poo poo.

You can probably get a few more posts out of this, run with it yo.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i know quite a few CMRA experts that run standard, dudes are faaaast. the only reason my bike is GP is because that's how i bought it :3:

race bike pic and fun fact: dude in the background is Brandon Cleland, local expert and AMA racer. he rides a daytona 675 for RSracecraft.

and in other news, i missed the 2nd 'Dirt Wars' held at Colin's Tornado Boot Camp. stupid work. 2 of my teammates did go and race, they managed a few 2nd 3rd and 4th places. gonna try to make the next installment.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Spiffness posted:

No poo poo.

You can probably get a few more posts out of this, run with it yo.

Aside from the whole blowing up your motor having to remember to shift differently on a race bike than any other bike you own seems silly. You're going to always have to be just a little aware of shifting the bike properly. Just adjust your shift points or gearing if it's really an issue.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
so for the longest time, our friend Dave was the fastest guy we knew that didn't race. he got his race license at the end of last season. he's podium'd multiple times every race weekend thus far. he also has the stupidest lean angle out of anyone i know (he's a tall and older dude as well).

oh, and here are his sons following in his footsteps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm signed up for and confirmed for 5/31 with Zoom Zoom at THill and 6/22-23 with Keigwins, also at THill.

Come play at the track! Dunno about space for extra bikes, but might be able to figure something out.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
Headed to Napa Speedway in Albuquerque tomorrow for my first track day. Excited and nervous at the same time but should be fun. Anyway if anybody here is there tomorrow look for the guy with the black daytona and say hi!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

So, I'm picking up a ZZR600 on Sunday (hopefully), and seeing how I need to get new rubber for it anyway, would would a good choice be for the road and for my first track days? Something I can use for both initially would be pretty great, I don't expect to be pushing hard enough to murder the tyre any time soon.

e: How will a ZZR600 go at a track day by the way?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Any "standard" sport rubber would be fine. Pilot Power (original or 2ct), Q2, BT016, etc. A friend of mine can run close to slow A times on a VFR, a ZZR is perfectly fine for trackdays. A ZZR is basically just a rebadged older gen ZX6-R anyway, depending on the year.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shimrod posted:

So, I'm picking up a ZZR600 on Sunday (hopefully), and seeing how I need to get new rubber for it anyway, would would a good choice be for the road and for my first track days? Something I can use for both initially would be pretty great, I don't expect to be pushing hard enough to murder the tyre any time soon.

e: How will a ZZR600 go at a track day by the way?

What year? I did my first few trackdays on a first gen one (dual exhausts stock). Good bikes but they need help in the suspension department. If you bought a 93-05 model I could potentially have some suspension for you.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

What year? I did my first few trackdays on a first gen one (dual exhausts stock). Good bikes but they need help in the suspension department. If you bought a 93-05 model I could potentially have some suspension for you.

1993, I've read about the suspension and will be getting some stiffer stuff before I track it, I'm in Australia though so I don't think it'd be very economical to ship it to me (although I'd definetally consider it depending on prices over here - which are usually ridiculous).

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Mhmmmm R6 brembo master on my GSXR.

also, tomorrow Fastline will be hosting a trackday at MSR Houston, in conjunction with the annual motohouston.com BBQ. if you're in the Houston area and wanna ride down to hang out or say hi, do it!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ha, is that a "GP SHIFT" label to remind yourself not to wreck yourself?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

epalm posted:

Ha, is that a "GP SHIFT" label to remind yourself not to wreck yourself?

GP shift, or standard shift sticker is required to pass race tech. if you don't have one already on there, they'll stick one on. dunno about other clubs, but we need it for CMRA.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
WERA has the same rule.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I wonder if AFM does that now too...will need to look into the rules. Not a bad idea for the cornerworkers who are trying to roll the bike...

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Z3n posted:

I wonder if AFM does that now too...will need to look into the rules. Not a bad idea for the cornerworkers who are trying to roll the bike...

i wanna say that's the reason why. i'll ask at the next race weekend.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

What's the difference between GP shift and normal shift?

e: more to the point, why would it be important for the corner workers?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Shimrod posted:

What's the difference between GP shift and normal shift?

e: more to the point, why would it be important for the corner workers?

GP Shift is just reversing your shifter linkage, so to upshift you press DOWN on the shifter, and to downshift you press UP on the shifter. The idea is that when you're banked over in a left turn, and need to upshift, it's easier to click down than to try sneaking your toe under the shifter.

I'm guessing it's important for the corner workers to know so they can easily put your bike into neutral.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
GP Shift reverses the up-down shift pattern so you can upshift while leaned over without dragging your foot? I think

Probably helps corner guys go the right way to neutral.

E: f,b

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, so it just makes it like an old british bike then.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
GP shift combined with a quickshifter is totally bitching. the only reason is have all these goodies on my bike is because i bought it that way. the bad part is, i can't go back to stock or crap components, like ever. if i ever get another bike its gonna have to have ohlins and all the other stuff i've gotten so used to.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Veritas posted:

GP shift combined with a quickshifter is totally bitching. the only reason is have all these goodies on my bike is because i bought it that way. the bad part is, i can't go back to stock or crap components, like ever. if i ever get another bike its gonna have to have ohlins and all the other stuff i've gotten so used to.

Is there a high-five emoticon where they slowly realize they're hosed and get kind of sad? If so, you and me pal.

Quickshifters are awesome and GP shift is awesome too (if you can adapt to that kind of thing without too much trouble).

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
we can just call it :sadfive:

so we had a trackday yesterday at MSRH Houston. i rode a ton, i'm completely drained. i was instructing novice group so i did all but one of the novice sessions, rode some of the intermediate sessions, and went to play and turn some hot laps in the advanced sessions. had a really good session where i was getting towed by a friend that is faster. little by little he got me out of my comfort zone, and it felt awesome. like the bike and i were finally 'gellin'. that hadn't happened in a while. so overall, it was a great, super hot day (Houston) at the track.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:hf:

There we go.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 27, 2013

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
That's awesome. My track day was rain canceled at Heartland Park Topeka. :argh:

xaarman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 28, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

First trackday in 2 years tomorrow. :whatup:

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
track track track!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Then I have until tomorrow to say that I've been to the track more often than you for the last year, and, therefore, I am better.

edit: Today

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
gixxah powwah!

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I'm looking into my first trackday this summer. Are pilot road 3s a terrible idea for this? I feel like a competent but terrible rider. My rear tire will probably need to be replaced within the month so I have the opportunity to get something softer but the front probably has another season in it. I don't commute on the bike as often as I used to but I do a reasonable amount of long distance riding so the harder compound in the center is nice. I'm not good enough to notice the limits of the tires but I don't know if that'll change on the track. Bike is (of course) an sv650.

Advice?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

bsamu posted:

I'm looking into my first trackday this summer. Are pilot road 3s a terrible idea for this? I feel like a competent but terrible rider. My rear tire will probably need to be replaced within the month so I have the opportunity to get something softer but the front probably has another season in it. I don't commute on the bike as often as I used to but I do a reasonable amount of long distance riding so the harder compound in the center is nice. I'm not good enough to notice the limits of the tires but I don't know if that'll change on the track. Bike is (of course) an sv650.

Advice?

Not a tire expert or anything, but pretty sure for your first day you'll be fine.

Edit - have a buddy who is an instructor for a local org and he ran pilot road 2s on his sv650 at one point or another I believe. No issues.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 1, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can't imagine you're going to be getting on the throttle early enough in corners to be outriding PRs on your first trackday. If they start getting loose on corner exit then that's your early warning.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah it's just extra important to pay attention to the warning signs on street tires. If they start feeling greasy, back off.

So, first trackday in 2 years. I can still ride a bike at speed on a track, that is nice. Managed to run pretty consistent 2:10s, so around 5 seconds below A group cutoff and 8 seconds off my personal bests on the SV. I should have just dove in and run A group off the bat, B was a clusterfuck. But with inside and outside passing available, it made for some decent footage...will upload when I get home. Had a few good battles with some literbikes, the 675 is a very nice chassis to build on, considering that I haven't gone fast enough to start pushing the limits yet. I thrashed an SC1 takeoff in a single day, modern softs are insanely soft. If I wasnt getting sc1 takeoffs so cheap, it wouldnt be worth it to run them. Suspension worked out nicely, probably going to do a thunderhill race round towards the end of the year. Shooting for 2:05s or quicker on my next trackday.

Next trackday is june 22/23. Who wants to come out and play?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

drat, sounds like you had a blast! I might be able to join you on the NEXT next one. :buddy:

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i think i run the pirelli medium compounds. i kinda wanna try the soft, but i don't like buying race tires all the time. now that i think about about it, i think i run a soft front.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Questions for you more experienced track day guys:

1) Any tips on how to pass better? I'm still paranoid about the dude in front of me, and overall just not comfortable with it. I'm on an SV650 so I can't outpower them (and they go WOT in the straights.) I've pulled off a few times to build spacing, but just looking for tips on how to get more comfortable passing on a (comparatively) underpowered bike.

2) This new track charges 25/day for transponders, the ones published on mylaps.com. I've seen racing organizations sell them, are they universal or do they have to be coded to the beacon used at the track?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
For passing, wait a couple corners and get a feel for how well they hold their line, how much of the track they're using, if they tend to cut in late/early or stay tight/run wide on exits, stuff like that, and you'll see a pattern with most people. Once you get that down, it's not too hard to pre-plan a pass and give it the beans the second a spot opens up, thereby freeing you of the "should I pass here..hmm...well I would've had enough time had I just done it" thought process.

edit: And I've never used a transponder, but I assume it's just something like input this code from the beacon into your bike unit or whathaveyou. I know people that use their own transponders with the beacon at my local track, so I'm guessing they're universal.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i'll echo what AncientTV said, follow them and see what they ride like. if they're riding the line and being predictable, set them up for pass, preferably not in a corner. since you're on an SV, your best bet might to pass them on the brake before you both start tipping in for the corner. if you can't make the pass beforehand, set them up for the pass on corner exit. if you have to think for more than a second about wether or not you should make a pass, don't. it's a trackday and not a race, not worth going down because another rider is being erratic or whatever. it's good that you're hot pitting and letting room build up.

• Locked thread