Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Gorelab posted:

Would there be any way to mod the game so that vassals can't do out of realm conquests? Having my vassals randomly go after things half the map away is getting kinda crazy, especially when they'll remain my vassal afterwards.
Yes, it should be in cb_types.txt
If you disallow conquesting for coasts allowed to norse all the remaining CBs require adjacency or claim(most likely will fabricate on neighbours too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gorelab posted:

Would there be any way to mod the game so that vassals can't do out of realm conquests? Having my vassals randomly go after things half the map away is getting kinda crazy, especially when they'll remain my vassal afterwards.

Absolute crown authority prevents your vassals from waging wars, so you don't need to mod anything to stop them from conquering.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Gorelab posted:

Edit: Also I spend way too much time cheating to try to stop my vassals from conquering weird poo poo. The expansion is fun. But my map OCD!

I have the same problem, except I'm cheating with the age, so my current ruler has been ruling for about 115 years or so now.
His heirs are jerks who I've constantly been putting in the dungeon and offering to the Allfather.

Also, factions are a bitch. I spend more time clicking away messages from people who have joined / left all the factions that has popped up after I got too greedy and expanded the empire of Scandinavia into the UK, Ireland, Iceland, Russia, all of what is now France, Germany, Benelux, Italy and Eastern Europe. All I miss is Hispania and North Africa, but I just can't be arsed. There are enough factions bugging me already. And people hate me for having too many duchies. Too bad there aren't anyone of my vassals I can trust enough to give them even an inch of power. :(

drat this OCD.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I keep getting a decent raiding army together, putting them on my ships, sailing them over to a nice juicy target, and having them charge onto the beaches screaming and waving axes and then having to immediately call them all back because someone's declared yet another revolt or holy war or other bullshit.

I have over 30 vassals, and of those 3 of them haven't been thrown in jail for revolting. I can't call enough blots to sacrifice all of them!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Banish everyone and hand out titles to a new crop of loyal vassals?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You know what's cool? Realizing that one of your vassals conquered Rome while you weren't paying attention. Like, I looked up one day and poof! Rome was mine.

One thing about this game that still bothers me is that I was playing an Aragon game where I turned them from an angry little mountain county to an angry little Iberian peninsula to form Hispania. After putting down a particularly long rebellion I went to replace my dead Steward and noticed that the king of England was available to do my taxes.

Somewhere in there he became a vassal and I have absolutely no idea how, when, or why it happened. No alliance marriages, no blood whatsoever in each others dynasties. Fucker would constantly form the Independance faction and press it too until I finally stripped the crown from him for myself so clearly he wasn't happy about voluntarily submitting to my will unprompted.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Banish everyone and hand out titles to a new crop of loyal vassals?

I am definitely going to have to do this. At least to the Finnish ones who never stop forming Independence factions.

Also every time any one in my French or German territories declares a revolt Scotland immediately rolls in and conquers them before my army can get there.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

It's been briefly gone over already, but a little more detail:

You gain "Tech Points" in three different categories based on your ruler's stats. Military tech points are governed by your ruler's Learning+Martial, Economic by Stewardship+Learning, and Cultural by Diplomacy+Learning. In addition, you get a (fairly small) amount of Tech Points from Universities and Monastic Schools.

Your ruler's spouse and advisors' stats DO NOT affect your tech points. Marrying a high-learning spouse doesn't help you, sadly.

These Tech Points can be spent to manually increase the level of technology in your ruler's capital. They raise the tech level in the capital ONLY. The increased levels of technology then spread out to other neighboring territories through the familiar Technology Spread mechanic.

Now, it used to be that you dropped your councillors in the capital in order to learn things there faster, right? Yeah, that no longer happens. The research options for your Steward, Marshal, and Religious Advisor (Chaplain, Seer, whatever) now are designed to increase the rate of technology spread. To properly utilize them, you place them in a province next to a high-tech province, to encourage the spread of those high technology levels into the new province (so, for example, if your capital is in Dublin and you learn a new level of Heavy Infantry, you might put your Marshal in Leinster to speed up the drift of your new Heavy Infantry level over to Leinster).

In one of the dev diaries they suggested using the advisors to promote 'corridors' of tech growth through your country, so that the tech levels can spread out from the corridors the way we're used to. A nice theory, but I don't know how practical it is in practice yet.

Thanks (and to the other posters who explained it too). This sounds a whole lot better than the old system.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

when you're raiding, is it better to sit there and seige or just move quickly between areas?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

crm posted:

when you're raiding, is it better to sit there and seige or just move quickly between areas?

I'd say it depends on if you are somewhat sure that you will be able to finish the siege, or that you can siege the province before an army comes to kick you out. You get a lump sum (usually from 50 gold and up it seems) for looting a holding, you hamper the economy of that county for a while, there's a chance of getting special events (such as the +2 axe) and you might capture whoever was at court in the holding you looted who can be brought back for sacrifice or to serve as concubines if female.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

crm posted:

I take the time to siege if the capital holding in the county is a Temple or City. Goes down quick, usually gives you around 50 ducats even with the less-developed cities. Otherwise, pack it up and move on once all the free loot taken.

Of course, Venice is a big exception. It's worth it to crack the castle so you can get at the rest of the cities in the province. Sometimes I wonder if it's better to let the Doges fill in the holding slots before looting all their poo poo.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

toasterwarrior posted:

I take the time to siege if the capital holding in the county is a Temple or City. Goes down quick, usually gives you around 50 ducats even with the less-developed cities. Otherwise, pack it up and move on once all the free loot taken.

Of course, Venice is a big exception. It's worth it to crack the castle so you can get at the rest of the cities in the province. Sometimes I wonder if it's better to let the Doges fill in the holding slots before looting all their poo poo.

Same with Rome. You'll need to siege two castles, I think, but all those churches go down quick. You won't have to worry about any armies and you'll probably get more than 500 gold just for Rome in addition to prisoners, religious authority for sieging the churches and cool events.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The patch notes says they fixed some crashing issues, which is wonderful because I've from ~1 crash every hour to no crashes

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Nightblade posted:

Same with Rome. You'll need to siege two castles, I think, but all those churches go down quick. You won't have to worry about any armies and you'll probably get more than 500 gold just for Rome in addition to prisoners, religious authority for sieging the churches and cool events.

I was going to say 'But wont the Papal Armies crush you?' but then I realised that the Papal State is a one province 'minor' at the time and not the horrifying beast it becomes post 1066+

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Someone talk to me about concubines. How should I be using them as a Viking petty king? Do legitimate children inherit before children of concubines? And how many concubines should I have?

At the moment I'm just using diplomacy to pick up high stat lowborn women who like me and having children with them, all my sons are the sons of concubines. I was using one concubine as a spymaster and she was the mother of my heir, so I decided to make an honest woman of her and marry her. She doesn't seem to mind me continuing to keep another concubine though, which is very open minded. And I was worried that marrying your spymaster while carrying on with another woman was a sure way to get assassinated.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
So, Zoroastrians. I've had some success so far with Karen.

First off, you will almost certainly need to save scum in the beginning, as multiple times when I've tried playing as them I've been clowncar'ed immediately and lost within the first few months.

Secondly, nobody seems to mention this but I find it hilarious that you're immediately supposed to marry your sister :getin:. I've gotten to 937 and I so far haven't had a big problem yet with inbreeding because of concubines and marrying people off to older female relatives that most likely will not bear them any children.

Next, I immediately holy war'ed Khiva and again, as long as I'm not clowncar'ed in the process this gave me a big chunk of land and allowed me to start usurping some titles (like Duchy of Bukhara and shortly thereafter Kingdom of Khiva.)

The Saffarids are tough but if you've swallowed up Khiva the two of you should be pretty even. If you can keep ninja'ing counties or duchies from them when they have revolts this will help you expand further. I also frequently try to do de jure claims rather than holy wars to prevent clowncar'ing if it's like a single county count or something that rebelled.

My problem now is that shortly after where I am in my last save, the Abbasids end up declaring an invasion on my and wipe out like 3/4s of my holdings, which for all intents and purposes will probably irreparably doom me since the Cumans (who went from being half my size to twice my size after losing the invasion) will probably end up following suit and wiping out the rest long before the Abbasids fracture from decadence.

Is there any way to handle an invasion? I even slew the caliph in single combat :black101: during a battle but that didn't change anything.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

jpmeyer posted:

First off, you will almost certainly need to save scum in the beginning, as multiple times when I've tried playing as them I've been clowncar'ed immediately and lost within the first few months.

Secondly, nobody seems to mention this but I find it hilarious that you're immediately supposed to marry your sister :getin:. I've gotten to 937 and I so far haven't had a big problem yet with inbreeding because of concubines and marrying people off to older female relatives that most likely will not bear them any children.

Next, I immediately holy war'ed Khiva and again, as long as I'm not clowncar'ed in the process this gave me a big chunk of land and allowed me to start usurping some titles (like Duchy of Bukhara and shortly thereafter Kingdom of Khiva.)

The Saffarids are tough but if you've swallowed up Khiva the two of you should be pretty even. If you can keep ninja'ing counties or duchies from them when they have revolts this will help you expand further. I also frequently try to do de jure claims rather than holy wars to prevent clowncar'ing if it's like a single county count or something that rebelled.

My problem now is that shortly after where I am in my last save, the Abbasids end up declaring an invasion on my and wipe out like 3/4s of my holdings, which for all intents and purposes will probably irreparably doom me since the Cumans (who went from being half my size to twice my size after losing the invasion) will probably end up following suit and wiping out the rest long before the Abbasids fracture from decadence.

Is there any way to handle an invasion? I even slew the caliph in single combat :black101: during a battle but that didn't change anything.

Dude! I have this same problem. I started out as the Count of Gilan (the only independent, single-county Zoroastrian count in existence!) and worked my way up to a pretty respectable duchy, but then the Sassanid King declared an invasion on me, and sent his thousands at me! There's no way I can defend against this because the Duke of Karen got himself holy-warred and turned into a Muslim. How do I survive as Zoroastrian?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Crusader Kings II: How many concubines should I have?

Heatin My Harbl
Sep 21, 2006
i'm on ur radiatorz

jpmeyer posted:

It's crazy how you and I basically playing the exact same situation.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

beedeebee posted:

Crusader Kings II: How many concubines should I have?

max_consorts = 1000

:getin:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I seem to suck more than most at playing vikings. Every time I try to reunify denmark, I would kill his armies, but all of a suddenly, a 2000 man army shows up out of nowhere and brutally murders mine. While I faff about not doing much, King Sweden is uniting sweden. Should I use mercenaries more often?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DJ Dizzy posted:

I seem to suck more than most at playing vikings. Every time I try to reunify denmark, I would kill his armies, but all of a suddenly, a 2000 man army shows up out of nowhere and brutally murders mine. While I faff about not doing much, King Sweden is uniting sweden. Should I use mercenaries more often?

Yes, and the petty chief of Denmark usually has a few holdings across the water in Britain.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
This games events..

&

He later died of this injury but I feel it was a worthy end.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

When I tried to move across the britain, a 16000 army smashed me.

Btw, is there a way to merge stacks under the same leader?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So, my starting character finally died, aged 70. He made quite an impact, though:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DJ Dizzy posted:

When I tried to move across the britain, a 16000 army smashed me.

Btw, is there a way to merge stacks under the same leader?

When merging units it sticks the guy with the highest martial score on top I believe, but you can go manually change it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Torrannor posted:

Absolute crown authority prevents your vassals from waging wars, so you don't need to mod anything to stop them from conquering.
Is going above medium crown authority really worth it? Let's assume that my position on vassals going to war with dudes who aren't under my control is "aww, how precious, good luck" and I don't have issues with any titles passing out of my vassalage so I don't need to prevent that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CapnAndy posted:

Is going above medium crown authority really worth it? Let's assume that my position on vassals going to war with dudes who aren't under my control is "aww, how precious, good luck" and I don't have issues with any titles passing out of my vassalage so I don't need to prevent that.

You are vastly underestimating how much people want pretty borders.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

kingturnip posted:

So, my starting character finally died, aged 70. He made quite an impact, though:

His heir should watch out for the Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers, though.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

kingturnip posted:

So, how the heck did you manage that, I only managed to conquer småland :smith:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
hah, yeah, I hate painting the map, but I love carving up a kingdom, building it up for a few decades , then handing it off to a spare son and granting independence. Pretty borders and and semi reliable client/buffer state all in one.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

kingturnip posted:

Why haven't you taken Kola Sami yet? Those borders are driving my inner :spergin: nuts.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

You know, with how concubines work I've found capturing enemy female rulers allows you to take them as concubines but on the flip side, doesn't that mean that if you have a female ruler, get captured at a siege and be forced into concubinage by the enemy AI/Player in MP?
Because that loses you all titles and transfers rule to your at the time closest heir, right? And does it also mean that any legitimate offspring from that would basically give the enemy claims on your stuff?

:ohdear:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

ThePutty posted:

max_consorts = 1000

:getin:
I am a bit of a concubine connoisseur, I only kidnap the close relatives or wives of kings and emperors.

CK2 turns me into a monster :smith:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

DrPop posted:

Thanks (and to the other posters who explained it too). This sounds a whole lot better than the old system.

I only have a little bit of time in with the new tech system but thus far I can say confidently that it's so, so much better. My one complaint would be that the listings for Legalism levels are a touch unclear and confused me for about three minutes. That ain't a bad complaint to have.

marktheando posted:

Someone talk to me about concubines. How should I be using them as a Viking petty king? Do legitimate children inherit before children of concubines? And how many concubines should I have?

At the moment I'm just using diplomacy to pick up high stat lowborn women who like me and having children with them, all my sons are the sons of concubines. I was using one concubine as a spymaster and she was the mother of my heir, so I decided to make an honest woman of her and marry her. She doesn't seem to mind me continuing to keep another concubine though, which is very open minded. And I was worried that marrying your spymaster while carrying on with another woman was a sure way to get assassinated.

Concubines are essentially secondary wives. The children of concubines can inherit, because the children of concubines are considered legitimate; they will get a 'child of concubine' trait that gives them a -1 to diplomacy, but that is all.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Yes! Use mercenaries! As a Viking you can build up the necessary cash in a hurry with some raiding, so there's really no excuse to not have the money to hire a merc company or two if you're not a high-manpower nation yet.

It's also worth noting that the Warscore Contribution from victory in battle has vastly increased, to the point where it is sometimes worth more points to go chase down an enemy army than it is to siege a holding. Thus, having Lotsa Troops is always a nice thing.

CapnAndy posted:

If you're not concerned about dudes inheriting your counties away from you, then no, there's not really any point to go above Medium.

A word of warning, though - some of those "aww, how precious" vassal wars can bite you in the rear end, not because they fail, but because they succeed. I just had one of my Dukes grab enough land to become the King of East Francia, and that would have made him independent had I not managed to form an Empire literally six months prior.

(P.S. Hah hah now I am the sole remaining Hard Hat Spider-Man I win)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

A word of warning, though - some of those "aww, how precious" vassal wars can bite you in the rear end, not because they fail, but because they succeed. I just had one of my Dukes grab enough land to become the King of East Francia, and that would have made him independent had I not managed to form an Empire literally six months prior.

(P.S. Hah hah now I am the sole remaining Hard Hat Spider-Man I win)

You can't create titles that would make you independent from your current liege (on the other hand if they can create East Francia they have a semi-decent chance of winning an independence war which would be just as bad for you).

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
The Norse are ridiculously overpowered, so if anyone is bragging about doing anything as them I don't care because it's really easy. Other easy things: reforming a pagan faith, doing just about anything as Hungary, and reforming Charlemagne's empire. The special event troops everyone on the map seems to start out with really mess with the balance of the game.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

So, how the heck did you manage that, I only managed to conquer småland :smith:

It's actually one of the easiest starts. If you choose the ambition 'Become King', you've got enough manpower on your side to start Subjugating one/two province Counts, and the ambition lets you do that non-stop until you can afford to create the title. You probably don't even need to conquer them all, since I found a few would accept Vassalisation.

At that point, you can switch to raiding for a bit of cash, or just keep going with the :killdozer:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

kingturnip posted:

It's actually one of the easiest starts. If you choose the ambition 'Become King', you've got enough manpower on your side to start Subjugating one/two province Counts, and the ambition lets you do that non-stop until you can afford to create the title. You probably don't even need to conquer them all, since I found a few would accept Vassalisation.

At that point, you can switch to raiding for a bit of cash, or just keep going with the :killdozer:

Speaking of :killdozer:, after founding the Kingdom of Norway and claiming Iceland for myself, I declared five different pagan invasions of different counties in Ireland simultaneously, shipped ~3k vikings over, and in the span of about a year carved a blood-soaked swath across Ireland. Round two is coming tonight to claim a few more, found the Kingdom of Ireland, and take the entire island. Reclaim the north for the Allfather :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So I was just wondering since Wiz is going to only do one more update to make CK2+ Old Gods compatible, are there any other good running mods? Or is anyone going to continue to make CK2+ compatible with further patches?

Also I did not know that in plain CK2 you can't have de jure drift with titular titles.

Oh also, the getting more information about a religion by hovering over the icon is really cool. Will prevent me from having to google a heresy when it becomes popular.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 31, 2013

• Locked thread