Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I used to think of it as "a really bad way to save money", but now with interest rates generally being ultrashit, it's "a convenient way to save money".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Getting back 60k August 1st, direct deposit to my Taiwanese bank account. Woo!

Did it last month at the main tax office in Taipei, Zhonghua Road 1st section #2, just a brief walk from Ximen Ding.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting back $900NT this year. Lame.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I just got back NT$16000 a couple of days ago.

From 2007.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My boss said I was getting 20,000NT back. Their accountants take care of my taxes for me, but I'm a little paranoid that something fishy might be going on.

Edit: Basically, I think how I get paid and how they report my income are different. I should probably start asking for official pay stubs with like a tax number on them.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
My boss definitely reports my income wrong. They say I'm making about half what I'm actually making, hence the small return. I'm not trying to get my permanent residency so doesn't really bother me.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I'm looking to come over in September. I lived in Pingdong for two months back in 2011, studying at NPUE there, and I thought about going back to live there as I loved it, but my friends who stayed said they wish they'd lived in Kaohsiung, so I'm thinking I should live there instead. What things do you wish you'd thought to pack before moving over? What do you wish you'd known before you left but just didn't have the information on yet?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

poetrywhore posted:

I'm looking to come over in September. I lived in Pingdong for two months back in 2011, studying at NPUE there, and I thought about going back to live there as I loved it, but my friends who stayed said they wish they'd lived in Kaohsiung, so I'm thinking I should live there instead. What things do you wish you'd thought to pack before moving over? What do you wish you'd known before you left but just didn't have the information on yet?
  • Reese's cups, St Louis style BBQ sauce and/or rubs, etc; random food items tend to rank pretty high if there's no specific item you want to make sure you bring.
  • Antiperspirant/deodorant for you stanky goons, the selection here is pretty lacking I'm told.
  • I tend to pick up a pack or 2 of socks; they don't really have bulk cushy socks here vs single or double pairs of oddly branded ones.
  • If you want a nice [RANDOM PRODUCT], you should probably get it in before you come here; prices will generally be better, like say headphones, or even laptops(also so you can have one in English, though Win 8 does let you switch languages I think) (I'm assuming you might be from the states)

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

poetrywhore posted:

Stuff to bring:

- Your favorite deoderant, and lot's of it (Taiwanese don't really use the stuff)

That's really the only thing I can think of that is difficult to find here besides perishable stuff like food. Most everything else can be purchased here.

I can't really think of anything I wish I'd known before I got here.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
An American region 3DS. You can use Nintendo's eShop to buy games.

Edit: A bottle of your favorite non-whiskey liquor. Something like Peppermint Schnapps is impossible to find out here.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
My favorite liquor is whiskey.

What's this I hear about a gadget you can get to confuse the internet and allow you to still watch your Netflix account outside of the country?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

poetrywhore posted:

If you are of the larger persuasion, in body or feet, plenty of shirts, pants, and shoes as appropriate.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

If you are of the larger persuasion, in body or feet, plenty of shirts, pants, and shoes as appropriate.

Our boy Lion's shopping stories are the best.

Poetrywhore posted:

Whiskey

I'm really just trying to get someone to bring me a bottle of peppermint schnapps.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
What region of video games is sold in Taiwan? I remember FFXII had a Trad. Chinese version, but I think that was the exception to the rule, right? Are other games in English or Japanese?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hitension posted:

What region of video games is sold in Taiwan? I remember FFXII had a Trad. Chinese version, but I think that was the exception to the rule, right? Are other games in English or Japanese?

Generally, Japan or HK. Here's what I know, parts may be wrong:

360: Usually in English and sometimes Chinese, Japanese releases available at a premium, games may be region locked or region free, check play-Asia for compatibility when importing, XBLA can be US selection but you may have restrictions on what codes can be redeemed for an account (I have a gold code I'm not allowed to use on it because my box is Asia region)

PS3: Usually in English and/or Chinese, Japanese releases available at a premium. Games are region free though, PSN is a different region but you can have multiple accounts

Wii: Japan region, region locked

3DS: Japan region, region locked

Vita: region free, but you can only register it to one account I think

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yesterday I just handed her my ARC, passport, and tax receipts. Waited like 2 minutes, they needed my phone number and bank account number for the refund, and then I was gone. Easy peasy.

Mine didn't even need the passport or receipts. It felt like it was too easy.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

duckfarts posted:

You can register more than one, but it requires factory resetting the device every time you want to switch accounts and having a separate memory card for each account. It's not terribly time consuming (takes about 10 minutes to do) but is sort of annoying.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I should add that for Sony stuff, different regions have different Playstation Plus freebie selections, though I don't know if they're good enough/varied enough to merit subscribing in more than one region at the same time.

Non game talk: went to Forkers today, they have a really good selection of burgers, but Bravo and 1885 are still better burger places in my opinion(still haven't been to KGB). Forkers does have poutine though, and makes for an excellent reason to go there.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm really just trying to get someone to bring me a bottle of peppermint schnapps.

Yeah, sometimes I enjoy drinking some good quality dark rum, but it's next to impossible to find here. At least for not insane prices.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
KGB isn't bad for fancy toppings and lamb. Bongos is where it's at if you want something giant and unhealthy.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm getting back almost $60,000 :smug:

It's too late now but if you go during May you can bring your bank book and arrange for them to direct deposit it. Took me about 30 minutes at the dinky Shalu tax office in Taichung County City.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm getting back almost $60,000 :smug:

It's too late now but if you go during May you can bring your bank book and arrange for them to direct deposit it. Took me about 30 minutes at the dinky Shalu tax office in Taichung County City.
FYI: Some ATM cards have your account number on the bottom, so you may be able to just use that.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
My boss doesn't withhold anything, so I ended up owing a few grand. She also under-reports my income by about half and makes more mistakes on paychecks than can reasonably be attributed to forgetfulness. Shadier than average or just a regular level of shady - I have no idea.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I finally understand betel nut.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Thank you for the information! Very helpful... sounds like more games are translated into Chinese than I thought.
I didn't know HK had its own region too.

duckfarts posted:

Generally, Japan or HK. Here's what I know, parts may be wrong:

360: Usually in English and sometimes Chinese, Japanese releases available at a premium, games may be region locked or region free, check play-Asia for compatibility when importing, XBLA can be US selection but you may have restrictions on what codes can be redeemed for an account (I have a gold code I'm not allowed to use on it because my box is Asia region)

PS3: Usually in English and/or Chinese, Japanese releases available at a premium. Games are region free though, PSN is a different region but you can have multiple accounts

Wii: Japan region, region locked

3DS: Japan region, region locked

Aww boo. I would play the poo poo out of Pokemon in Chinese.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
HK is more like a sales region whose releases tend to be eng/ch.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh god I still can't get the taste of betel nut out of my mouth.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You lucky guys with tax returns. I gotta pay one lump and take out a loan or use my credit card.

duckfarts posted:

Generally, Japan or HK. Here's what I know, parts may be wrong

That's pretty much but it seems like the new PS4 will be region locked this time because distributors were complaining about parallel imports. I use to wonder why there are so many wholesalers in hk. It's for the China and Taiwan.

However Honger and Taiwan gamers can sperg out like silly HARDCORE ANIMU fans. They complain about mistranlsations and just insist on purchasing the original version. Because clearly everything from Japan is just superior :japan:

They claim that understanding kanji is can understand most of the story when they don't even read katana. Or that only gaming mechanics matter since video game plots are stupid. Sure guys but don't be that extreme...

Mainlanders are more sane, they actually bother to make fan translations. They only bitch about the state censors or local rip offs.

Wasn't there a poke park in Taiwan?

caberham fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 1, 2013

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh god I still can't get the taste of betel nut out of my mouth.

Shoulda had more beer and cigarettes.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

caberham posted:

poke park in Taiwan

Man the things I will never get to experience :( It closed years ago
There is still a Pokemon Center in Tokyo though.

Chinese fan translations of things are ... not so high quality. I think the language doesn't really lend itself to lots of things since you can't make up words? from what I remember of the official translation of the cartoon, Pokemon's Chinese names are just descriptions, like 小火龍 (fire dragon) and so on... Japanese I think is more versatile because you can make up stuff and put it in katakana and it sounds cool and mysterious

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I played Chinese fan translations of a few SRW games and they were half awesome and half awesomely bad.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Just arrived in Taipei! It's my first time here, and I landed like half an hour after that earthquake happened. Awesome timing.

Anyone up for grabbing a beer or something some night this week?

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
My apartment building was shaking pretty good down here in Pingdong for a minute or so. Got kind of dizzy, never felt an aftershock/earthquake before.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I was lifting weights and barely noticed. Guess I was a little too, "in the zone."

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

I don't see much Graf in Taipei, so I figured it was worth a pic while I filed tax in xinzhuang.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

lokk posted:

My apartment building was shaking pretty good down here in Pingdong for a minute or so. Got kind of dizzy, never felt an aftershock/earthquake before.

Have you found Jimmy's bar yet?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

lokk posted:

It was pretty strong for Taipei, which makes me think it might've been pretty big elsewhere.

fardoche
May 29, 2013
lokk, how was the Hess training? I'm coming to Taiwan this Summer and I'm not sure I should go the Hess way :)

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4_dJIDHp8Q&feature=player_embedded

So is this guy out to lunch or does he raise some good points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I hoped to live my entire life without having to ever see that guy's face again. Thanks for dashing those dreams, Millow.

He's an idiot and I'm pretty sure someone found out that he's a PUA whenever that video was originally posted. He's obviously hung up on a lot of weird things.