Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That might be the worst Kickstarter I've ever seen, in terms of actually trying to pitch something people would want. And I don't mean the content at all. Setting aside it's a product no one would ever want, she gives it the worst ever introduction possible.

What does she even need the money for? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Next time I see anyone claiming that Kickstarter vets projects before putting them live, I am going to link them to that.

Like you say, she looks like she means well, but someone needs to tell her, "Look this isn't the way to do it. Just start a Wordpress account and type your heart out."

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
To be honest I almost didn't post it because I felt bad but just look at it. The poor girl is going to be disappointed.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

Can I ask what you think she did with that Kickstarter money?

Dear Mommy, As has been said, she paid the artists only after the media poo poo storm, if this weren't Amanda "loving" Palmer, it wouldn't matter, her entire career hinges on her aesthetic, though.,; she's aware of this, and she has reams of writing about stage personas and the public eye and all that bullshit on her blog,everything she did after the Dresden Dolls had that whole post-modern "subject, not content" thing going for it,; it wasn't great music, it wasn't great writing but it had a look and an aesthetic that was unique and thoroughly punk cabaret, it was, in any case, art,. So for her to even consider not paying artists is the biggest dick move in the history of dick moves, it doesn't matter that she paid them after, the damage to her image has been done, she's not a person you can take seriously, she's got no integrity, it devalues the art, as someone who goes on and on about being a performer and all that bullshit, she should have known, at least made an effort to pay the musicians on tour, there was also some stuff about her scaling back the extent of her tour, and showing up to OWS and advertising her kickstarter/tour disguising it as an impromptu jam or something;, I could dig it up maybe, but there's two posts on her blog one before and one after the million, in the first she goes on and on about putting money into gigantic shows and the fans, in the other she's guilt tripping the reader into letting her retire...

- No longer your daughter, Skylar.

At times, the INTERNET is your one and only hero

autism ZX spectrum has a new favorite as of 13:36 on May 29, 2013

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nubile Hillock posted:

Dear Mommy, As has been said, she paid the artists only after the media poo poo storm, if this weren't Amanda "loving" Palmer, it wouldn't matter, her entire career hinges on her aesthetic, though.,; she's aware of this, and she has reams of writing about stage personas and the public eye and all that bullshit on her blog,everything she did after the Dresden Dolls had that whole post-modern "subject, not content" thing going for it,; it wasn't great music, it wasn't great writing but it had a look and an aesthetic that was unique and thoroughly punk cabaret, it was, in any case, art,. So for her to even consider not paying artists is the biggest dick move in the history of dick moves, it doesn't matter that she paid them after, the damage to her image has been done, she's not a person you can take seriously, she's got no integrity, it devalues the art, as someone who goes on and on about being a performer and all that bullshit, she should have known, at least made an effort to pay the musicians on tour, there was also some stuff about her scaling back the extent of her tour, and showing up to OWS and advertising her kickstarter/tour disguising it as an impromptu jam or something;, I could dig it up maybe, but there's two posts on her blog one before and one after the million, in the first she goes on and on about putting money into gigantic shows and the fans, in the other she's guilt tripping the reader into letting her retire...

- No longer your daughter, Skylar.

At times, the INTERNET is your one and only hero

You alright, buddy?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Amanda Palmer is one of the few celebrities I can think of for whom no crime is as egregious as having to listen to people complain about her. She could drive a busful of orphans off of a cliff and all it would make me do is avoid Twitter for a few days. Jesus fuckin Christ people.

You want a new musician to hate? This guy wants five grand to make YouTube covers of top 40s songs from the 80s because he used to be fat and had a ruptured appendix.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey! Space Telescopes and poo poo like that!

Planetary Resources - Cool.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...71169ca-7381477

This is a kickstarter to buy your way into access to their first community telescope satellite. What do you want to get pictures of?

Within a decade, the planet is going to be ringed with telescopes. We're going to have a system that'll map everything near us and soon, once we tap all of the nice tasty fresh water out of the American Southwest, we can start dropping in the asteroids for mining later. :)

Cyberpunkey Monkey has a new favorite as of 18:51 on May 29, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

osirisisdead posted:

Hey! Space Telescopes and poo poo like that!

Planetary Resources - Cool.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...71169ca-7381477

This is a kickstarter to buy your way into access to their first community telescope satellite. What do you want to get pictures of?

Within a decade, the planet is going to be ringed with telescopes. We're going to have a system that'll map everything near us and soon, once we tap all of the nice tasty fresh water out of the American Southwest, we can start dropping in the asteroids for mining later. :)

That's pretty loving cool. I also love how there are three backers for 10k or more. :unsmith:

But this is for awful kickstarters only! :mad:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

redreader posted:

Do people really talk about 'man cards' in real life? I've never heard the expression before. I've read it once or twice but that's it. Is "your man card is revoked" the new "that's so gay"?

Just about the only place people actually hear talk about "man cards" is in crappy sitcoms. Then after that we get people who start repeating these jokes in real life because they thought it was that funny.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Don't forget beer commercials

"Knitting? That poo poo's for fags son! Man card revoked! Here have a phallic object containing something that tastes like another man's urine!"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The gently caress, she looks like she's 13 at most.

quote:

Pledge $10 or more

0 backers

I'll send personal pictures and some information to your email or other communications like facebook, or twitter.
Estimated delivery: Apr 2014
Ships within the US only

I'm fearful. Predditors are going to jump on paying $10 for personal pictures of a kid. :reddit:

Cerony posted:

Just about the only place people actually hear talk about "man cards" is in crappy sitcoms. Then after that we get people who start repeating these jokes in real life because they thought it was that funny.

I can't even remember hearing someone mention the "Man Card" on The Man Show but maybe when Jimmy Kimmel left and unfunny stand-in Seth Rogen took over he started saying it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Alan Smithee posted:

Don't forget beer commercials

"Knitting? That poo poo's for fags son! Man card revoked! Here have a phallic object containing something that tastes like another man's urine!"

HEY, drinking piss isn't sexual at all. Don't even get me started.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm fearful. Predditors are going to jump on paying $10 for personal pictures of a kid. :reddit:

I can't even remember hearing someone mention the "Man Card" on The Man Show but maybe when Jimmy Kimmel left and unfunny stand-in Seth Rogen took over he started saying it.

Joe Rogan.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are forgetting the best one:

It's an ad for Bushmaster, the company that manufactures the semiautomatic rifle that was used to massacre a bunch of actual elementary school students in Newtown. :doh:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You guys are forgetting the best one:

It's an ad for Bushmaster, the company that manufactures the semiautomatic rifle that was used to massacre a bunch of actual elementary school students in Newtown. :doh:

Not the same Bushmaster I was thinking of. I mean, that would just be overkill.

I'm a bad person. :ohdear:

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Thankfully nobody has pledged for that (or for anything) so far. But yeah, I'm with you. It doesn't help that she connected her Facebook. The first thing you see when you click on that is a picture of her in a bikini with family members telling her not to show off that much online. :(

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Yo Eleven posted:

Thankfully nobody has pledged for that (or for anything) so far. But yeah, I'm with you. It doesn't help that she connected her Facebook. The first thing you see when you click on that is a picture of her in a bikini with family members telling her not to show off that much online. :(

Whoaaaaaa.
I clicked on her facebook and immediately felt like I was peeping through some girl's window.
Thank gently caress there was no social networking when I was her age.

gnomers
Nov 14, 2004

Yo Eleven posted:

I just clicked the link for her kickstarter and someone donated 10.01.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Manifest posted:

Whoaaaaaa.
I clicked on her facebook and immediately felt like I was peeping through some girl's window.
Thank gently caress there was no social networking when I was her age.

Yeah. What the gently caress? And is it normal to have 1000+ friends?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Not unless you're famous for something.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Not unless you're famous for something.

I dunno, I know lots of people with close to 1000, and the only reason I'm under 500 is because I choose to keep it pruned to that size. Hell, one of my musician friends who does horror punk and self publishes all his albums has almost 3k friends, and I'd hardly call an indie horror punk solo act "famous".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hot girls usually do. But then again I live in LA so it's not necessarily mutually exclusive

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Alan Smithee posted:

Hot girls usually do. But then again I live in LA so it's not necessarily mutually exclusive

Did you just call a 12 year old girl "hot"?

Also, just how out of touch are you guys with kids who have grown up with Facebook? The average active user has 250 friends. The average teenager has over 500. I'd bet that a third of high school girls have more than 1000 friends.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Noni posted:

Also, just how out of touch are you guys with kids who have grown up with Facebook? The average active user has 250 friends. The average teenager has over 500. I'd bet that a third of high school girls have more than 1000 friends.

Someone asked who has 1000+ friends I answered, don't put words in my mouth

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I dunno, I know lots of people with close to 1000, and the only reason I'm under 500 is because I choose to keep it pruned to that size. Hell, one of my musician friends who does horror punk and self publishes all his albums has almost 3k friends, and I'd hardly call an indie horror punk solo act "famous".

I probably shouldn't have used "famous" but, like your musician friend, they probably do something to get those likes. They're active off-line and on-line.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Noni posted:

Wow, did you honestly think that's what he was saying, or are you just picking fights?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Since being facebook friends doesn't really mean much, a lot of people will just add everyone they ever speak to or play a game with and so on.

Omghaiwtfaslplzkthx.

Install Gentoo posted:

Since being facebook friends doesn't really mean much, a lot of people will just add everyone they ever speak to or play a game with and so on.

Facebook in my opinion has dramatically lowered the bar for being labelled a friend.
Also, those debating about numbers of friends may Be interested in the concept of dunbars number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
It's exactly as stupid as it sounds.

Saw this on YKS actually, but it's so blitheringly stupid and bandwagony, so internet, I couldn't possibly resist the opportunity to share this shite with you all.

Chucklefuck posted:

Hello

we have been making soap for over half a year now and we have been working on this product for nearly all of that time I always loved zombies zombie books zombie games zombie films so I combined my love of soap making and my love of zombies to create my anti zombie soap my true inspiration for soap making was lush but I always felt like I was out of place in lush with their been a larger female audience than a male audience so I decided possibly I could make soap that would appeal to both genders and make no one feel uncomfortable buying or using we use all natural ingredients in our soaps so any one no matter their beliefs about the environment can use them with a free contentious

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I hate gimmick zombie merchandise, but there's only so much I can hate a product that gets nerds to bathe more.

Hahaha I love how he is intimidated by all the FEEEEEMMALLLEEES at Lush.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Pastrymancy posted:

I hate gimmick zombie merchandise, but there's only so much I can hate a product that gets nerds to bathe more.

Hahaha I love how he is intimidated by all the FEEEEEMMALLLEEES at Lush.

He is also apparently intimidated by punctuation.

Emphasis mine:

quote:

A risk could be that this product dose not peal to anyone but we have asked around and people are really exited about this product[no period]

e: after watching the video and the credits, I'm pretty sure Noah is a girl.

Machai has a new favorite as of 03:34 on May 31, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pastrymancy posted:

If they take the soap out of the packaging it won't be NIB anymore! :supaburn:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

Saw this on YKS actually, but it's so blitheringly stupid and bandwagony, so internet, I couldn't possibly resist the opportunity to share this shite with you all.

So... does the creator fear punctuation marks as much as he/she fears zombies? Because drat, that was a confusing read.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Noyemi K posted:

"Risks and challenges

A risk could be that this product dose not peal to anyone but we have asked around and people are really exited about this product"

Well I'm all in for this high quality project. :downs:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Isn't that the sort of risk that kickstarter is supposed to eliminate anyways?

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
I'm half-wondering how long it'll take before Kickstarter puts a minimum age on the people that submit the projects.

Between that book by the girl above, I keep running into things like:

funny & random!???!
(I was going to put a screenshot of the Risks and Challenges here but I figured it'd ruin the surprise.)

and

holy hell i wish i had half of this kid's ego.

Besides those, I've also found some other less than wonderful things:

As a Transformational Spiritual Life Coach and Dr.of Metaphysical Science, I have been teaching and helping people to awaken for several years.

1% vs 99%! The Occupy Chess Video Game

This one is adorable:

:3:Cook Like a Grandma Cookbook:3:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

cool biRd pics posted:

funny & random!???!
(I was going to put a screenshot of the Risks and Challenges here but I figured it'd ruin the surprise.)

Terry Pratchett did a better book on the subject. And I don't think that's something I want on a mug.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I thought the Occupy chess game was okay until I scrolled down and saw the concept art for the 99% pawn:

:ughh:

Check out these sweet rewards:

quote:

Pledge $1 or more

You will have my eternal gratitude!

quote:

Pledge $5 or more

Your name will appear in the game credits!

But wait! For the low price of :10bux:, you get your name in bold!

quote:

Pledge $10 or more

Your name will appear in the credits, in bold!

What happened to you, Occupy?

Kaiju Cage Match has a new favorite as of 13:56 on May 31, 2013

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Chucklehead posted:

I am friends with a lot of known Xbox gamers that have a lot of subscribers on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sounds like any other socially inept 15 year old kid.

quote:

Hi im Marc and im 15 years old! I've been a gamer for a long time, and have started several websites and business's so far in my lifetime. I like starting business's that deal with gaming. I used custom paint xbox controllers but it made my Asthma worse so i had to stop. I enjoy making custom designed tshirt but the heatpress kept making my electricity go out. My new business TrickshotApparel will use a garnet printer to customize the tshirts. Many gamers myself included have a hard time finding clothing that feels comfortable my favorite tshirt is made out of bamboo.

I kinda feel bad for him.