Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Nique posted:

I keep seeing WW regarded highly but I have barely (if ever) seen her at a tournament. What gives?

People just don't like her design very much, and she's a bit trickier than a lot of the other top tiers. I played her in UFGT and came close to getting out of my pool, though. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
NerdJosh plays her, but I can't remember if he's been at any recent NLBC.

No one cares about Hawkgirl. :smith:

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Nique posted:

I keep seeing WW regarded highly but I have barely (if ever) seen her at a tournament. What gives?
I think Wonder Woman may be this game's Raiden. For a long time in MK9's lifetime Raiden was considered top 2 with Kung Lao (I remember jokes about the game having a "hat tier"), but no one ever played him. Eventually he moved down tier lists until he settled around lower mid. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I can't help thinking like, if all these top players think Wonder Woman is top 5 or whatever, how come none of them are playing her?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
She is the Martian Manhunter of this game. Strong enough to be respected, but uncool enough to be ignored

...until the eventual Martian Manhunter DLC, heh :v:

Nique
May 18, 2006

may contain peanuts posted:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I can't help thinking like, if all these top players think Wonder Woman is top 5 or whatever, how come none of them are playing her?

That was basically where I was at too.

I guess a better question to ask is why is WW rated so highly in the first place, she's probably one of my most played characters but i'm nowhere near good enough to gauge stuff like tier lists accurately myself.

I know her B2 is godlike and she has an airdash which is awesome, but beyond that I don't see much that sets her ahead of the rest of the cast.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T93yfinXD10

Is that damage right?

:stare:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Nique posted:

I know her B2 is godlike and she has an airdash which is awesome, but beyond that I don't see much that sets her ahead of the rest of the cast.

Stupidly damaging combos (seriously), good damage off lows, and very very safe.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Why is Killer Frost so high on the tier list? I honestly don't know.. I've seen maybe one online.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
^ Slide is the stupidest move in the game and she converts everything into high damage resets that are difficult to block on reaction.

Jmcrofts posted:

To follow this up, she has the best corner pressure in the game, probably the best non-teleport mobility, and excellent reversals/anti-airs in B2 and lasso spin. She also takes negligible chip in shield stance.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Didn't really take safety into account - guess that makes sense.

Probably also implies she's not the character I should be using, haha. I cannot reliably time the 23 into b3 that seems pretty central to most of her big damage combos, and whiffing it leads to a free punish on her :( Feels awesome to nail it though.

rocket USA posted:

To follow this up, she has the best corner pressure in the game

In sword & shield stance or lasso?

Nique fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 31, 2013

sponsz
Aug 28, 2005

By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!
Killer Frost is legit good. The stupidest thing I've seen in a long time was a Killer Frost sending me a rage message complaining about resets. I mean, yeah, Batgirl has good resets but Killer Frost is just ridiculous.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Nique posted:

In sword & shield stance or lasso?

Generally lasso. Between throw, 33, B2, B11, and F3 you can completely overwhelm them (except for B2 those strings are all plus on block). Shield also has its uses with how insane meter burned shield charge is, as well as huge damage off F3 and her B2 low.

rocket USA fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 31, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

That's a gimmick combo that's never going to occur timed perfectly on a Bane at maximum Venom (so he deals more damage) performed on a Bane on Venom cooldown (so he takes more damage) before the patch lowered the amount of damage Bane takes on Venom cooldown.

So yes, the damage is "right" but it's not something you're ever going to see.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

sponsz posted:

Killer Frost is legit good. The stupidest thing I've seen in a long time was a Killer Frost sending me a rage message complaining about resets. I mean, yeah, Batgirl has good resets but Killer Frost is just ridiculous.

I don't think I know what a reset is, care to enlighten me?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Interstellar Owl posted:

Stop a combo intentionally and do a mixup to try to start another combo. You do a lot more damage that way because damage scaling resets when the combo ends. I made a little video talking about it for Skullgirls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAeN-rFbc_U

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Interstellar Owl posted:

A situation where you can start another combo and your opponent can't do anything except guess the correct way to block it. I might be somewhat wrong, but I think that's the correct definition.

e;fb with a much better explanation, haha.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Interstellar Owl posted:

It's when you're losing to Killer Frost and you get up and physically reset your console so you don't have to sit there and watch 45% of your life bar vanish before your eyes. :v:

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
Whats the best way to block Doomsday body splash after I am knocked down. Played a guy last night who abused it well and seemed no matter which way I tried to block(thinking it was crossing up) I would just get destroyed.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rugpisser posted:

Whats the best way to block Doomsday body splash after I am knocked down. Played a guy last night who abused it well and seemed no matter which way I tried to block(thinking it was crossing up) I would just get destroyed.

It either crossed up or it didn't. If you can't by looking, you pretty much have to guess which side it's going to hit on. If he did it late enough, you can dash out.

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK

Jmcrofts posted:

It either crossed up or it didn't. If you can't by looking, you pretty much have to guess which side it's going to hit on. If he did it late enough, you can dash out.

So for a cross up whats the "line" that it crosses to be on the other side? Is it simply something like draw a line down the center of the character, or is it more akin to anything behind the head needs to be blocked the other way?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Rugpisser posted:

So for a cross up whats the "line" that it crosses to be on the other side? Is it simply something like draw a line down the center of the character, or is it more akin to anything behind the head needs to be blocked the other way?

I think it's more or less as you described, a line down the center of the character, it's hard to really describe precisely. It's dependent on the hitbox of the actual move coming at you, for example Black Adam's jump2 where his toe hits at a very strange angle, so it can look like it's going to be in front of you and actually hit behind.

e: Basically, a character's "cross up" jumping attack tends to be the one with the most ambiguous hitbox.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

rocket USA posted:

Generally lasso. Between throw, 33, B2, B11, and F3 you can completely overwhelm them (except for B2 those strings are all plus on block). Shield also has its uses with how insane meter burned shield charge is, as well as huge damage off F3 and her B2 low.

In addition, as long as you have meter, you can go into her big damage corner stuff off most any of her Sword stance starters in one of two ways:

starter XX Shield Throw~MB, 2b1 XX bf3 into her corner juggle (I think it's like 11b1 b1 b1 b1 11b1 11b1 11b1 f12 XX bf3)
starter~Trait switch, Lasso bf2~MB, b113~Trait switch into corner juggle

Anyway, my comment about her being too far toward the well-rounded side was admittedly more to do with the fact that they had her as more well-rounded than Green Lantern, which is something I don't really agree with. Green Lantern has better potential to run away with a life lead if the situation demands it, he has a very strong anti-air in the mid-range game that leads into great damage provided you have the meter to MB it, and said anti-air option is also able to go into 25% unclashable damage if necessary. His ability to close distance is weaker but he has so many good tools to make the opponent do that for him, and if they trip up and make a mistake GL can land solid damage into some pretty strong mixup positions, too.

With Wonder Woman, she has the previously described strengths of excellent meterless damage, safe pressure strings in Lasso, a couple fast alternate movement options in Lasso (Lasso stance air dash and instant air df3), and insane corner pressure and damage potential. On the other hand, her main areas of weakness are her obvious lack of any sort of full screen option in a game riddled with strong full screen zoning characters, which leads into a secondary weakness of being forced to close the gaps in situations where the opponent has a life lead and the patience to exploit it. WW does have those secondary movement abilities to close the gap in these situations but both are still calculated risks when faced with a patient zoning opponent who will be looking for them.

Of course, I say all this but I still also believe she's really solid. I also don't know that I necessarily agree with the previously mentioned argument that "if she's so good, why aren't more people playing her?" either. Sometimes characters take longer to catch on and develop, and for the game's early life a lot of people were perfectly content to go with the very apparent easy and strong options as opposed to one that may take a bit more work.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!
So I'm going to play Devil's Advocate a little here as someone who's mained Killer Frost since release but I just want to say that while she is a really good character I think Brady and REO are putting her way too high up there in relation to other characters and I think Jmcrofts' position for her is much more appropriate and where I'd say she belongs. The problem with them considering Killer Frost at the absolute top tier is that she's much too balanced of a character, I'd probably go as far as to say she might be one if not the most balanced characters in the game. Yes she has crazy good resets that when combined with her trait can nearly one touch kill off any of her combo starters for just one meter, a lot of other aspects of her design make it so this doesn't make her a broken character. Her movement options are not all that great, while both her ground and air dashes move her a fair distance they are really slow leaving her vulnerable to being punished during them, meaning she has a relatively hard time getting in on certain characters, especially anybody with half decent zoning and/or keepaway tools(though her ice spike can catch grounded characters, with an EX allowing her to throw daggers out then move in). While her good combo starters are safe on block, a good majority of them have slow startup, small range, and hit high so you can just duck and have it miss completely. Her slide is a great tool to compensate for her subpar mobility and can be cancelled into from most strings, is safe on block(I think it's -2 or -4), and can catch certain characters doing unsafe things from a distance, however it not only trades with a lot of moves it can be straight up beat by certain moves as simple as a d1.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I don't know why people still have Bane dumped on the bottom of lists now. Since the charge and venom CD buffs he's a lot better off. Like he still loses some matchups bad, but he's nowhere near being the worst thing in the game, especially not worse than someone like Lobo. (This is from watching a lot streams, bigger players and junk, not just my games against bad pubbies)

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 31, 2013

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

These tier lists shouldn't be anything but a fun source of discussion for the majority of goons who visit this thread. Unless you're a high level regular tournament player most of the reasons why any character is where they are will have no real bearing on how effective you can actually be with them online or how well you may do versus players who are using characters of higher tier.

Edit: With that said I don't know why Bane is so low tier either.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 31, 2013

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Since we doing the tier discussion thing here is my personal opinion on the tier list after the patch.

http://www.mmcafe.com/tiermaker/inj...g7o00gr00il-bk5

Not really using the board to its fullest there, but consider that S, A, B, C and D as far as the groupings go.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Evil Canadian posted:

Since we doing the tier discussion thing here is my personal opinion on the tier list after the patch.

Not really using the board to its fullest there, but consider that S, A, B, C and D as far as the groupings go.

That's a pretty reasonable list. As for not using the whole thing, I wouldn't even think something like a D really exists in this game. Like some characters are obviously worse off than others yeah, but I wouldn't consider anyone dumpster-tier, loses against everyone level.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
http://bit.ly/17buvIQ

That's what my tier list would look like right now.

I don't think there's a D tier in this game but Bane definitely feels mediocre compared to the rest of the cast. My only real experience with him has been playing jmcrofts a few times but it feels like he doesn't get nearly enough when he gets in. If he could spend meter to give teeth to his mixups it might make the trouble of getting in and scoring a knockdown worth it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

rocket USA posted:

http://bit.ly/17buvIQ

That's what my tier list would look like right now.

I don't think there's a D tier in this game but Bane definitely feels mediocre compared to the rest of the cast. My only real experience with him has been playing jmcrofts a few times but it feels like he doesn't get nearly enough when he gets in. If he could spend meter to give teeth to his mixups it might make the trouble of getting in and scoring a knockdown worth it.

Agreed. Bane just doesn't do enough damage relative to how bad he is at getting in. When someone like Superman or Wonder Woman can get 50% for 1-2 meters, Bane just doesn't seem like an attractive option. None of his meter burns let him combo after them (something that a majority of the rest of the cast can do), and the only time he can do above ~35% in a combo is if you go to lv2 or 3 trait, which both still have strong drawbacks that other powerful traits like Green Lantern's or Superman's do not. He also loses hard to all the top tiers.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Here's my tier list, i expect this to change a bit here and there as the months go on but it's pretty solid imo.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

When someone like Superman or Wonder Woman can get 50% for 1-2 meters

Wonder Woman gets 50% meterless. :unsmigghh:

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Holy Calamity! posted:

Here's my tier list, i expect this to change a bit here and there as the months go on but it's pretty solid imo.
I don't know that I entirely agree with all of this.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Holy Calamity! posted:

This is a hilarious list, mine would have Raven, Shazam and Nightwing instead :golfclap:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Holy Calamity! posted:

Well, I see your main and my main are at the top, so I absolutely agree with this!

:)

Seriously I like Evil Canadian's a lot, I agree with him that there's no garbage tier but there definitely is an "SS" tier where you have tons of easy safe options that you can just cycle through. I may be a scrub but at least I put the onus of that on myself, and not on my character (it's Bane, I love him but he needs some work).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

YOU WILL SUBMIT

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 31, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Here we go.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Evil Canadian posted:

This list feel pretty right. I'd move Lex up, but not into the next group. Those set-ups he has are awesome, and that charge is a good reversal for a lot of things.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Nique posted:

Here's a decent overview of Wonder Woman's strengths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHRLQafcJTE

Arikado
May 9, 2008

I'm too lazy to make a full list, but I'd say top five are Superman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Batman, and Black Adam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
The one, true tier chart for Real Men.

I'm real mature you guys

• Locked thread