Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Rejected Fate posted:

So I was just wondering since Wiz is going to only do one more update to make CK2+ Old Gods compatible, are there any other good running mods? Or is anyone going to continue to make CK2+ compatible with further patches?

Also I did not know that in plain CK2 you can't have de jure drift with titular titles.

Oh also, the getting more information about a religion by hovering over the icon is really cool. Will prevent me from having to google a heresy when it becomes popular.

Project Balance is good and updates regularly, and is pretty much the only mod other than CK2+ I can actually play, since I actually don't like trying to be the Duke of Bavaria with 3% of the HRE's total levies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I've got some questions about republics, I know this is a bit late but TOG coming out made me want to play again and I haven't played The Republic yet. :v:
Started as Venice and it always says I will lose both the Serene Doge and Grand City of Venezia title on succession, even if my successor is currently winning the election, why is that?
Should I fill up my initial trade zone with Trade Posts or is it better to build a single one up a lot? And where exactly does the "Trade Zone Income" go to? Does it just give a slight tax increase?
Lastly, should I keep my adults in my court to get trade post limit up or is it better to marry them off matrilinearly so the family dues go down?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Cumfart Vortex posted:

The Norse are ridiculously overpowered, so if anyone is bragging about doing anything as them I don't care because it's really easy. Other easy things: reforming a pagan faith, doing just about anything as Hungary, and reforming Charlemagne's empire. The special event troops everyone on the map seems to start out with really mess with the balance of the game.

I formed Scandinavia and included Hungary into it by getting their heir and giving him Norway so it's double :killdozer: mode, I get 16 thousand men levy from him and it's just year 913 and he still conquers on his own in the south. Also, matrilineally maried to my daughter so other Arpads won't get anything back.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
It is weird how people won't marry you but will agree to be your concubine which you can of course then marry.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Cumfart Vortex posted:

The Norse are ridiculously overpowered, so if anyone is bragging about doing anything as them I don't care because it's really easy. Other easy things: reforming a pagan faith, doing just about anything as Hungary, and reforming Charlemagne's empire. The special event troops everyone on the map seems to start out with really mess with the balance of the game.

I think that reforming the Slavic faith is far from easy based on how spread out the holy sites are and based on your neighbors.

And yeah, gently caress the special event troops. I understand it's to represent the tribal hordes or whatever, but rather than giving those tribes extra units right off the bat, just make them a replenishable resource you have to pay for that's keyed to your status as a tribal horde– higher base manpower, retinue size boosts, etc. The special event troops really only make sense for when the off-map invaders appear. If the Zoroastrian guys really need a boost to survive then they could just get the pagan defensive bonuses until they reestablish their Firepope.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Make sure to not miss out on this really cool thing: When you get a message that some random dude has gathered cash and men to make it on his own (the response you can give is something like 'Yeah, good luck with that!') you can select the dude and ask to join his war, this way you can set up small Viking colonies around the world.

And then they will go nuts. I had a 3 province Viking at the heel of the Italian boot plan an invasion of the kingdom of Mauritania and win. Another took the duchy of Moldavia and is currently invading a pretty large Bulgaria. A third set up shop right in the middle of a pretty large Byzantine Empire, in the duchy of Nikaea.

Can't wait to see how this all plays out, it's not even the year 1000 yet.

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

SO TOG is basically the best DLC/expansion Paradox has put out up to this point. I'm having a blast as the last Zoroastrian ruler on the planet turned Persian Emperor turned SAVIOR OF ALL MANKIND. Can't wait to take the pagans for a spin as soon as I banish the darkness of Ahriman off of the face of Europe.

Darius is a mad appropriate name for a persian saoshyant, imo.

Gloat posting aside, I saw a couple of people in the thread asking how the hell you survive as a zoroastrian ruler surrounded by hostile muslims and in my experience, your long term survival absolutely hinges on dicking over the Saffarids in their war of conquest on the other mulism persian. If you let the Saffarids take all of their land, you will almost certainly lose because those provinces have beefy manpower and a Saffarid with all that will beat you no matter what, even if you take the rest of Turkestan and beat up some pagans on your northern border. Because of this, your opening move on day one should definitely be declaring holy war on the target of the Saffarid invasion. Khiva will of course join in if you do this because they are both sunni but you start with double their manpower so it shouldn't be too hard. After you prevent the Saffarids from taking half of Persia, you can move in and take the rest of Turkestan and then work your way south. That will give you a pretty good foothold, although the Abbasids can still easily beat you if they decide to expand. Still, if you're a cuttthroat motherfucker and you holy war your weak pagan neighbors, you should be able to chip away at them bit by bit and once you do that, you're practically invincible.

Success boils down to being a double mother fucker, basically. And make sure you exploit the Sunni/Shi'a division to the maximum extent. That's the only way you can live in this crazy world.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So I noticed that a particular goonish Frank vassal of mine didn't mind converting after my invasion, no prodding required.

Why not I thought? Dude even starts converting his court!

A couple of years later I notice a province in the south of France break away from my domain.

What's this??? :argh:

Oh.

Go on.

:munch:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

psychofishhead posted:

SO TOG is basically the best DLC/expansion Paradox has put out up to this point. I'm having a blast as the last Zoroastrian ruler on the planet turned Persian Emperor turned SAVIOR OF ALL MANKIND. Can't wait to take the pagans for a spin as soon as I banish the darkness of Ahriman off of the face of Europe.

Darius is a mad appropriate name for a persian saoshyant, imo.

Gloat posting aside, I saw a couple of people in the thread asking how the hell you survive as a zoroastrian ruler surrounded by hostile muslims and in my experience, your long term survival absolutely hinges on dicking over the Saffarids in their war of conquest on the other mulism persian. If you let the Saffarids take all of their land, you will almost certainly lose because those provinces have beefy manpower and a Saffarid with all that will beat you no matter what, even if you take the rest of Turkestan and beat up some pagans on your northern border. Because of this, your opening move on day one should definitely be declaring holy war on the target of the Saffarid invasion. Khiva will of course join in if you do this because they are both sunni but you start with double their manpower so it shouldn't be too hard. After you prevent the Saffarids from taking half of Persia, you can move in and take the rest of Turkestan and then work your way south. That will give you a pretty good foothold, although the Abbasids can still easily beat you if they decide to expand. Still, if you're a cuttthroat motherfucker and you holy war your weak pagan neighbors, you should be able to chip away at them bit by bit and once you do that, you're practically invincible.

Success boils down to being a double mother fucker, basically. And make sure you exploit the Sunni/Shi'a division to the maximum extent. That's the only way you can live in this crazy world.

Ughhhh, so it's all in the opening moves? drat.

Going to see if maybe I can just hope they get some rebellious vassals and succession crises down the line but it looks like I'm going to need a larger timeframe to restore the Persian Empire.

Edit: I'm just trying what you said - I have no idea how you did this. Now I have to fight Khiva and that duke dude and I can't get the Saffarid dudes, so I'm pretty sure I've made their invasion easier.

Doesn't help that the turks decided that since I was fighting against two enemies now it might be a chance to declare war on me.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 31, 2013

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I got lucky and formed Poland in 2 generations. Getting 3 holy sites was a bitch, but I've suceeded too. Now I want to form merchant republic of Gdansk (Danzig) to get lots of ships for raiding. Is it a good idea?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

alex314 posted:

I got lucky and formed Poland in 2 generations. Getting 3 holy sites was a bitch, but I've suceeded too. Now I want to form merchant republic of Gdansk (Danzig) to get lots of ships for raiding. Is it a good idea?

One generation. :smug:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

alex314 posted:

Slavs can only raid neighbors, so not really. A vassal merchant republic is still useful to have, but you won't be getting your faux viking on.

On the other hand, once you're really big, Great Moravia becomes the Great Pinata :getin:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
It might have been sheer luck but getting over 100 free boats and 5000 free men is absolutely fantastic, Planned Invasion wise. This gets even more amazing if you have a large enough warchest (from raiding) to then buy a load of mercs.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SkySteak posted:

It might have been sheer luck but getting over 100 free boats and 5000 free men is absolutely fantastic, Planned Invasion wise. This gets even more amazing if you have a large enough warchest (from raiding) to then buy a load of mercs.

What do I need to do to get a Planned Invasion CB? I've been wanting one to try to expand further but I don't know how to do it.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Well that's certainly an interesting name.

I think I'm secretly immature

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Beamed posted:

One generation. :smug:

My first king did ok, but his heis who got 1 country snuffed 2 other polish countries while I was taking Silesia from Moravia! Once daddy died in battle I had quite a kingdom (brothers got sent into temples). Now I've got huge angry Hungary in the south and Denmark in north-east and west. Poland was target rich enviroment in 1066 but in TOG it's crazy! Best dlc ever!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

quiggy posted:

What do I need to do to get a Planned Invasion CB? I've been wanting one to try to expand further but I don't know how to do it.

First off, have a solid amount of prestige(extremely easy if you've been raiding) and a realm size of less than 40. Then, pick the guy you want to invade and go to his diplomacy screen, then select "Prepare Invasion". You have 2 years to the day to get ready and then you have to declare war on him with the Prepared Invasion CB. If you don't declare war or you use a different CB, then after 2 years pass all your gathered forces gently caress off and you lose a bunch of prestige.

Once, I got a special event where a famous warrior showed up with his personal army, giving me a courtier with a Martial skill in the high 20's and 3500 soldiers(that stayed after the war was over).

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Just checking, but has CK2+ been updated for old gods?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Pimpmust posted:

You know, with how concubines work I've found capturing enemy female rulers allows you to take them as concubines but on the flip side, doesn't that mean that if you have a female ruler, get captured at a siege and be forced into concubinage by the enemy AI/Player in MP?
I don't think you can capture rulers in a siege. Like, I tested it by tuning the capture chance to a hundred percent, and it still didn't grab them. You say you've done it? :raise:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Just checking, but has CK2+ been updated for old gods?

Not yet.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
It's really disappointing when you stop being able to raise runestones. Feels like that ought to stick around, at least if you reform the faith or something. Like, it's a tradition, you know?

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think you can capture rulers in a siege. Like, I tested it by tuning the capture chance to a hundred percent, and it still didn't grab them. You say you've done it? :raise:

I still have to defeat them and enforce demands to get them imprisoned - and that of course seems only the case of rebel lords. Without being rebels, I believe it has a chance to happen after you defeat them as an officer in their army.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

quiggy posted:

As Dauntasa said, your realm needs to have fewer than 40 holdings, and you must have 1000 prestige (you get 1 prestige per 1 gold you raid, so this is easy).

It is mostly the target that is a problem with prepared invasions. Your goal in a prepared invasions is to take all holdings in a de jure kingdom from the ruler you are targeting. The number of holdings must still be 40 or less. Take Charles the Bold, king of West Francia at game start. You cannot target West Francia, since the king holds all lands of the de jure realm of West Francia, which are more than 40 holdings. On the other hand he has holdings in Frisia and Aquitaine, in both cases under 41, but over 8, so you can prepare an invasion on him and later decide if you want to conquer Frisia or Aquitaine.

The problem in preparing invasions can be that the target is either mostly or fully part of one de jure kingdom with more than 40 holdings and too few counties in other kingdoms to be a valid target, or a ruler can have just too few holdings/distributed among too many de jure kingdoms to fulfill the prepare invasion criteria.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
So the low supply limit bonus to unreformed pagans seems bugged, it's meant to only apply to those with an organisation tech under 4 or 5 (I forget which, but whichever it is I'm at like 7 now) but it doesn't seem to go away when you pass that tech. It's a real pain in the rear end, is there any way to get around it by forcing the pagans to reform though a console command or something?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Torrannor posted:

As Dauntasa said, your realm needs to have fewer than 40 holdings, and you must have 1000 prestige (you get 1 prestige per 1 gold you raid, so this is easy).

It is mostly the target that is a problem with prepared invasions. Your goal in a prepared invasions is to take all holdings in a de jure kingdom from the ruler you are targeting. The number of holdings must still be 40 or less. Take Charles the Bold, king of West Francia at game start. You cannot target West Francia, since the king holds all lands of the de jure realm of West Francia, which are more than 40 holdings. On the other hand he has holdings in Frisia and Aquitaine, in both cases under 41, but over 8, so you can prepare an invasion on him and later decide if you want to conquer Frisia or Aquitaine.

The problem in preparing invasions can be that the target is either mostly or fully part of one de jure kingdom with more than 40 holdings and too few counties in other kingdoms to be a valid target, or a ruler can have just too few holdings/distributed among too many de jure kingdoms to fulfill the prepare invasion criteria.

Wait, there's a 40 holding limit on your holdings + target holdings? Ugh, no wonder I'm having trouble finding an invasion, guess I'll stick to fabricated + de jure claims mainly then.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Strudel Man posted:

You can, I captured the Countess of Skane (the ruling countess) and made her my concubine.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Strudel Man posted:

It's really disappointing when you stop being able to raise runestones. Feels like that ought to stick around, at least if you reform the faith or something. Like, it's a tradition, you know?

yeah I mean you can keep holding blots why wouldn't you be able to keep raising runestones

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Aww, I just looked at the game for the first time after the patch, and I'm disappointed to see that they changed the infrastructure improvements from stuff like "Wooden Palisade" to "Castle Walls I". It certainly feels like an "older" Paradox game in that regard. The tech changes sort of feel that way also. :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Josef bugman posted:

You are vastly underestimating how much people want pretty borders.
I just want pretty duchies. I had to strip one of my loyal Duke's counties because it was de jure in another duchy :(

He took it well enough I guess

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

(P.S. Hah hah now I am the sole remaining Hard Hat Spider-Man I win)
The Hard Hat Crown is yours!

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Also, the Old Gods is making me REALLY evil.

I'm literally starting to keep prisoner 'farms' of all the children I capture so that when they eventually grow old enough they can be sacrificed to the Gods at the Blot. :stare:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

A Tartan Tory posted:

You can, I captured the Countess of Skane (the ruling countess) and made her my concubine.
She wasn't your vassal, was she?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Man, I need a guide on how to pronounce Norse names with letters that I've never seen before.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I just picked up this game on sale and after playing for a while I have so many questions I don't know where to start.

Ok here's one: How do I reliably make other regions a part of my demesne? I've got that I can invite people with claims to areas into my court, but if I then go to war the claim goes to my courtier and not me. I've also tried marrying people with claims into my family but unless it is me or my heir in the long run I end up with an ally instead. I understand offering vassalage/going to war with counties that are already in your kingdom, but what do you do if they are outside your influence?

Basically what's the trick to conquering the world? Just playing patched vanilla.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

She wasn't your vassal, was she?

Yeah she was, a revolting vassal from an independence league.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

A Tartan Tory posted:

Yeah she was, a revolting vassal from an independence league.
Ah, there we go. Did you actually capture her in the siege, or was it from defeating the independence league, which imprisons its members?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
With regards to running CK2+, if you're on Steam you can find the 'beta' patch that will put you back on 1.09, just before the patch preparing the ground for TOG. With that on, and with TOG off it seems to work fine (the tension of the imminent Aztec arrival continues, though).

Think this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but just confirming that it works. I assume other mods might too?

texside
May 31, 2013

quiggy posted:

Wait, there's a 40 holding limit on your holdings + target holdings? Ugh, no wonder I'm having trouble finding an invasion, guess I'll stick to fabricated + de jure claims mainly then.

My experience is it's a great way to get started but it's not gonna suffice for serious conquest-a-thons (like a pledge-a-thon, but bloodier and lootier!). With Haraldr the Fairhair, I managed to secure the Duchy of Brittany with it before I made the Kingdom of Norway.

Now, the weird thing: it may not give you the titles if you don't meet the requirements. For example, I did not get the Kingdom of Brittany because your character needs to be from the Celtic origin group or something? But it stripped the king of the Duchy of Brittany, which I promptly made.

He controlled Leinster in Ireland, which meant the Kingdom of Brittany was one province up in Ireland. Kinda funny.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Sanzuo posted:

I just picked up this game on sale and after playing for a while I have so many questions I don't know where to start.

Ok here's one: How do I reliably make other regions a part of my demesne? I've got that I can invite people with claims to areas into my court, but if I then go to war the claim goes to my courtier and not me. I've also tried marrying people with claims into my family but unless it is me or my heir in the long run I end up with an ally instead. I understand offering vassalage/going to war with counties that are already in your kingdom, but what do you do if they are outside your influence?

Basically what's the trick to conquering the world? Just playing patched vanilla.

The short answer is that you don't conquer the world without exploiting the poo poo out of really gamey mechanics that will lead to your glorious one-color map exploding into a billion fragments once your God-Emperor dies.

The long answer is that there's quite a few ways to expand your personal demesne, with varying degrees of risk and ease. If you're a Catholic, the best way to grab a chunk of countryside you have no de jure claim on via ducal or kingdom titles is to send your chancellor over to fabricate a claim. This involves a lot of waiting and hoping, basically. You can also declare holy war on anybody of a different religion nearby, but you may not have any easily accessible, punchable pagans within spitting distance, and if you do, you may accidentally enrage their buddies and get 30k stacks of Abbasid clown cars all up in your grille.

Muslims can harness the power of the clown car for themselves and mow through Catholic territories, but be warned that their decadence mechanic means you have to be really pretty gamey about how you handle your dynasty or you'll implode quickly. Byzantines have...well, Byzantine politics, with backstabs, neuterings, and eye-gouges aplenty if you gently caress up your coup attempts. Republics can just use what holdings they have and buy their way to victory, but have to deal with rival merchant families that have as much money as they do.

Vikings, meanwhile, can point to any border or coast province and go "DIBS :black101:" and just take the loving things whenever they want. They can also subjugate entire pagan kingdoms at once every decade or so. Viking early game is way more engaging because you don't have to sit around praying for the right claim to be grabbed so you can finally start pushing de jure claims.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Sanzuo posted:

Here's your options as a Christian character:

* Invite an unmarried character with an inheritable claim to your court, then arrange a marriage with them and a member of your dynasty. Make sure you use whichever marriage type that will have them produce children of your dynasty. Once they have children, and their parent with claims dies, they will inherit those claims and you can press the claim for the child. As long as a character is part of your dynasty and the claim you are pressing for them is for a title that is a lower rank than yours, they will become your vassal.

* Holy War against another religion group. This lets you take an entire duchy and all of it's individual holdings in one shot.

* Invasions. If you are Catholic, you can ask the Pope for permission to invade a larger realm than yours. For example, say you're a super duke with 30 holdings in your realm in northern England and you notice that the current king of Scotland, who has 60 holdings in his realm, is having a really bad time. You can open diplomacy with him and near the bottom of the list there should be something along the lines of 'Request Invasion'. This allows you to take the target's top level title and all of their personal holdings. All of the previous title holder's vassals will become vassals of yours.

Related to the first bullet point, you can always play fast and loose with marrying your male dynasty members off to land holding women outside of your realm. Some of them will succeed in entrenching your dynasty wherever they end up, and then a few generations down the road you'll be able to invite claimants for that area to your court whom are already conveniently members of your dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I don't know what's really going on, but I noticed that in the latest patch, vassal kingdoms would not assimilate into my empire. I had to revoke and destroy the kingdom title before the territory would begin assimilating. And I realize now I should have tested what happened if I held onto the title for myself, but.

• Locked thread