Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Is the dell ultrasharp 2412m pretty much my best bet for a 24 inch monitor for games in the $200-300 range? It seemed highly recommended by my cursory google searches, but they were a lot of early 2012 results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r2tincan
Jul 21, 2004
What's the recommended monitor for colorists? I am going to have to do a lot of color correcting on video for a few jobs coming up and I need something not lovely / big enough that I can see moviing video on it and color correct it - correctly.

The dell monitor specified in the OP is sold out, apparently.

Thanks

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

r2tincan posted:

What's the recommended monitor for colorists? I am going to have to do a lot of color correcting on video for a few jobs coming up and I need something not lovely / big enough that I can see moviing video on it and color correct it - correctly.

The dell monitor specified in the OP is sold out, apparently.

Thanks

You want a wide-gamut Dell screen, like the U2413 or U2713H (not -HM) or U3014. That's the best bang for the buck, and as good as it gets until you get to multi-thousand-dollar screens. A non-Dell alternative is Asus' ProArt monitors. Be sure to get a wide-gamut capable colorimeter (I have the X-rite i1Display 2), and you'll have to make sure your colors are managed properly in your programs.

It's also a really good idea to have a video card that can push 10-bit color, which means any workstation-grade GPU. Cheapest way to do that is a Quadro 400 or a FirePro V3800. I'd pick the Quadro if you don't have CUDA available elsewhere. You'll need to configure everything correctly, including turning off Aero; here's a guide for a FirePro card.

If you get an 8-bit card and an sRGB monitor, the colors will be VERY CLOSE to HDTV gamut, but there will be some mismatch and out-of-gamut colors in highly saturated regions. An 8-bit card on a wide gamut display... Depends on the app. I did that guide's test image in Photoshop CS5 on my U2410. Looks a lot less banded in Photoshop than it does saved and viewed in an image viewer. I can't explain that with any certainty, though.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

4 is older than 2+3, don't know about 1. The U2713H has wide-gamut and costs more than the U2713HM.

If you intend to game with an IPS monitor, try the Asus PB278Q. It's got an advantage of 16ms input lag over the U2713HM's 22ms and does a marginally better job at keeping the overdrive down. It's one of the fastest (didn't find any better ones, anyways) low cost IPS montitors out there currently.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Factory Factory posted:

You want a wide-gamut Dell screen, like the U2413 or U2713H (not -HM) or U3014. That's the best bang for the buck, and as good as it gets until you get to multi-thousand-dollar screens. A non-Dell alternative is Asus' ProArt monitors. Be sure to get a wide-gamut capable colorimeter (I have the X-rite i1Display 2), and you'll have to make sure your colors are managed properly in your programs.

It's also a really good idea to have a video card that can push 10-bit color, which means any workstation-grade GPU. Cheapest way to do that is a Quadro 400 or a FirePro V3800. I'd pick the Quadro if you don't have CUDA available elsewhere. You'll need to configure everything correctly, including turning off Aero; here's a guide for a FirePro card.

If you get an 8-bit card and an sRGB monitor, the colors will be VERY CLOSE to HDTV gamut, but there will be some mismatch and out-of-gamut colors in highly saturated regions. An 8-bit card on a wide gamut display... Depends on the app. I did that guide's test image in Photoshop CS5 on my U2410. Looks a lot less banded in Photoshop than it does saved and viewed in an image viewer. I can't explain that with any certainty, though.

I'm guessing he'll never go out to broadcast and most of his workflow will end up displayed on monitors (vimeo/youtube). If that's the case I'd try and get a decent srgb display vs having a pro pro wide gamut monitor.

If he is professionally grading on a resolve system or something of that nature, I'd go with a FSI 10bit 24 inch panel for 5 grand.

I have a feeling though, based on him asking here, it's more like "I need to correct after picture lock for something that will most be seen over web" instead of the typical grade workflow. I could be wrong though.

I have friends that go 8 bit SRGB with an out to a calibrated wide gamut HDTV. If you can work off scopes, you can trust them in the UI and go off the wide gamut hdtv as your reference picture. It's still no where near using a 10 bit panel directly, but I'd compare that to prosumer vs professional.

Personally, I only grade my own footage which ends up going out to web for reels. The poor man's grade setup is fine for me (u3011), but I would never fire a real colorist and replace them with my own setup for anything I do that is broadcast.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 28, 2013

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Err... So I just got my Viewsonic VP2770-LED. It definitely looks better than my Dell U2711, besides the grey scale banding issue (anyone else have this problem? I read that it is a issue for this monitor).

However, I have a interesting problem that (I have never seen this before... ever) I hope wouldn't require me to RMA the monitor:

The monitor would turn itself on for no apparent reason...

I usually leave my PC running 24/7 and I have the VP2770-LED connected to one of the two DVI connectors on my GTX 680 (the Displayport goes to my Dell U2711). So every night, I manually push the power button on the monitors to turn them off while the computer is running.

Last night, the viewsonic monitor started to turn itself back on after being turned off for few minutes... (I ended up having to unplug the monitor from power source) I hope I don't need to get a ghost hunter to my apartment or something... :ghost:

1550NM
Aug 31, 2004
Frossen fisk
Well, I returned the U2713Hm I had wrongly delivered. My conscience demanded it and besides, couldn't get it to fit in my setup. Being honest pays tough, not only did my U2412 get express shipped, but I got one hell of a discount.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

1550NM posted:

Well, I returned the U2713Hm I had wrongly delivered. My conscience demanded it and besides, couldn't get it to fit in my setup. Being honest pays tough, not only did my U2412 get express shipped, but I got one hell of a discount.
Not as good as the discount of getting a U2713HM for the price of a U2412!!

It's good that you got some kind of upside for your conscience, in any case.

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009
My 27" Monoprice got here today, the screen is awesome coming from a TN panel but everything feels laggy now, like moving the mouse around on the desktop feels sluggish, would using DP instead of dvi reduce input lag at all?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SteviaFan420 posted:

My 27" Monoprice got here today, the screen is awesome coming from a TN panel but everything feels laggy now, like moving the mouse around on the desktop feels sluggish, would using DP instead of dvi reduce input lag at all?

It's not very likely to, and if your DP cable isn't 100% compliant (many connect pin 20 when you aren't supposed to and this can generate problems measuring bandwidth), it will be less reliable.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
My Dell ST2410b just crapped out on me. Looks to be a backlight problem.

It uses CCFL and I'm thinking of replacing it myself since I'm no longer under the Dell warranty. My problem is I can't find a backlight on ebay for this model. How can I find the part number for the backlight? I don't have my original booklet and the stuff on the Dell site doesn't mention it.

VV Thanks, I didn't know about that site.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 31, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Maybe this?
http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/morekitforde.html

It says to open the monitor first to make sure it has the same kind of lamps.

PetPixel
Feb 15, 2007
In a loincloth.
Not sure how much interest there is here for it, but I was looking into replacing my non-thunderbolt cinema display, and checked on Dell's small business pricing for the U3014, and they've got it for $1125 (before taxes/state fees) through their phone system.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

It's not screen tearing, I recognize that but not this. It's very faint wavery bands travelling erratically up and down random sections of my monitor, very visible with dark colors, similar to that "shuttershade" effect when you record video of a tv or computer screen but much fainter.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a clock/phase issue. The bands are even more subtle than this, and virtually invisible on light backgrounds. But, say, in a dark area of a level in a game like Bioshock Infinite, you'll get these very noticeable darker bands travelling erratically up and down the screen, stretching from end to end. None of the tests on this site seem to address the problem.

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 30, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a clock/phase issue. The bands are even more subtle than this, and virtually invisible on light backgrounds. But, say, in a dark area of a level in a game like Bioshock Infinite, you'll get these very noticeable darker bands travelling erratically up and down the screen, stretching from end to end. None of the tests on this site seem to address the problem.

Are you still using a VGA connection? Diagnosing noise issues like that with what is probably a lovely VGA cable is a shot in the dark. I don't know if the U2312HM has issues with temporal dithering in the dark colors, but it's going to be hard to tell until you have a digital connection.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

EightBit posted:

Are you still using a VGA connection? Diagnosing noise issues like that with what is probably a lovely VGA cable is a shot in the dark. I don't know if the U2312HM has issues with temporal dithering in the dark colors, but it's going to be hard to tell until you have a digital connection.

Yeah, I'm looking for my DVI cable right now (just finished moving, god knows where I packed it) but the whole reason I switched from DVI to VGA in the first place was as a last ditch attempt at a solution to an entirely different problem involving strange flickering green pixels and in fact the only thing that ended up fixing it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Yeah, I'm looking for my DVI cable right now (just finished moving, god knows where I packed it) but the whole reason I switched from DVI to VGA in the first place was as a last ditch attempt at a solution to an entirely different problem involving strange flickering green pixels and in fact the only thing that ended up fixing it.

Did you try a different DVI cable for your flickering pixel issue? How long is it? 2-3 meters is usually as long as it can get before serious signal degradation.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

EightBit posted:

Did you try a different DVI cable for your flickering pixel issue? How long is it? 2-3 meters is usually as long as it can get before serious signal degradation.

Nope (only one I've got, yeah I know.) and the length is just a few feet from monitor to tower. Sorry to keep shooting you down like this! I'll try to wrassle up a different DVI cable.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Nope (only one I've got, yeah I know.) and the length is just a few feet from monitor to tower. Sorry to keep shooting you down like this! I'll try to wrassle up a different DVI cable.

Order one from monoprice if you gotta. Great place to pick up cables like hdmi, dvi, and ethernet.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I ordered some Dell S2340L monitors for work and they came into day. They are really nice if you don't mind a glossy finish.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I have two Samsung TN panels and I can't deal with my nonexistant black levels anymore. I'm almost tempted to go back to a CRT or something. They hit just about every color but black! My Thinkpad has an IPS but doesn't have great black levels either, but then again it's a Thinkpad.

Can I spend less than $300 and get legitimately good colors and black levels and whatever? I don't really care about HDMI because DVI to HDMI cables and I have a TV and poo poo. A Korean monitor is fine.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
There's some decent AMVA monitors these days that can get much deeper blacks than IPS or TN. They even have pretty acceptable panel response these days. The BenQ GW2450HM springs to mind. There are also a few Samsung and Philips models floating around too.

Factory Factory posted:

Well... no. Deep blacks really aren't a strength of LCD displays, which operate by blocking a backlight. Offhand, the only flat panel techs with really good blacks are OLED and Plasma. Plasma isn't really a computer display tech, and OLED is friggin' expensive in larger-than-smartphone sizes.

Today, AMVA monitors can achieve a black point of 0.01-0.04 nits when you turn peak brightness to around 120 nits. Its no OLED or Plasma but its far, far better than any other LCD technology on the market. They're definitely an acceptable alternative to IPS if vertical colour shift isn't a huge concern.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 31, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Well... no. Deep blacks really aren't a strength of LCD displays, which operate by blocking a backlight. Offhand, the only flat panel techs with really good blacks are OLED and Plasma. Plasma isn't really a computer display tech, and OLED is friggin' expensive in larger-than-smartphone sizes.

If you can find a monitor that uses full-array LED lighting rather than edge lighting, those can black out better than edge-lit LED and CCFL LCDs, but that's even more esoteric to try to search for now as panel type was to search for a few years ago.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

jeffreyw posted:

There's some decent AMVA monitors these days that can get much deeper blacks than IPS or TN. They even have pretty acceptable panel response these days. The BenQ GW2450HM springs to mind. There are also a few Samsung and Philips models floating around too.

Today, AMVA monitors can achieve a black point of 0.01-0.04 nits when you turn peak brightness to around 120 nits. Its no OLED or Plasma but its far, far better than any other LCD technology on the market. The only thing that is going to seriously ruin your blacks is severe backlight bleeding.

I have a plasma TV I love but it most certainly isn't for computer use unfortunately. That BenQ is much cheaper than I expected it to be though, and it looks nice, but I'm a little worried about the viewing angles on it. They don't look as bad as my laptop or current monitors of course but I dunno! I'll have to look into the VA panel situation a little more. Thanks for the knowledge though, I might grab the BenQ.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 31, 2013

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
Viewing angles can be quite problematic. TFT Central has more specifics, particularity regarding off-centre contrast shift.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Asus has unveiled a 31.5" 4k monitor.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/31/asus-unveils-31-5-inch-4k-monitor-ahead-of-computex/

No word on how many internal organs you'll need to sell to afford one yet. (I'd love to have one but I can't justify it considering I've only had my amazing Samsung SA850 for a year.)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
That size is perfect for me. Good enough ppi but a deskable size.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is it capable of 60hz? Do any games support this resolution?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Tab8715 posted:

Is it capable of 60hz? Do any games support this resolution?

The press release doesn't specify the hz but it should be able to run at 60hz if you're connecting via DisplayPort. If it manages to ship with HDMI 2.0 then you'll be able to get 60hz via that as well but I don't know if it will be complete in time to ship with this monitor, if it only has HDMI 1.4 then you'll be stuck at 30hz over that connection.

All modern games should support any resolution since they just ask your video card what resolutions it supports. Your performance will probably be abysmal but it should run. If you want to get a rough idea of what kind of performance you can expect with today's hardware Anandtech includes 5760x1200 resolution in a lot of their recent GPU reviews. If you take those results and multiply by 0.83 it should at least put you in the ballpark for FPS on a 4k display.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Two or three 780s ought to handle it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Hey guys, any opinions on this cheap 1440p monitor from the OP? Reviews look pretty goo,d just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them or could recommend another 1440p monitor that isn't $600.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
People have been asking about it all thread. Some guy just posted that his had an uncomfortable amount of input lag. YMMV because Korean reject panels are a lottery

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

People have been asking about it all thread. Some guy just posted that his had an uncomfortable amount of input lag. YMMV because Korean reject panels are a lottery

drat. Any good experiences? I read the first couple pages and the last couple and didn't see it.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I was just offered a 27" Apple Cinema Display with the Thunderbolt connector for 700 bucks. First of all, is this a good deal? Second of all, I have a PC at home. Is it even viable at all to get this thing working with a PC or is the cost not worth it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I was just offered a 27" Apple Cinema Display with the Thunderbolt connector for 700 bucks. First of all, is this a good deal? Second of all, I have a PC at home. Is it even viable at all to get this thing working with a PC or is the cost not worth it?
It will only work over Thunderbolt, which your PC probably doesn't have.

Unrelated, this guy is selling a U3011 for $625. I would have bought it (even though my desk doesn't have room for another one), but he doesn't have the box.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

but he doesn't have the box.

Who throws out the box for their U3011? God, I want a U3011. I have the boxes for my goddamn 2007wfp and my U2410.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

You can get a U2713HM right now, not on sale, for $700. Why pay the same amount for a used monitor with no warranty?

Risky
May 18, 2003

Is having three or more > 27" screens the norm now? That's all I see on the guys rigs on hardforums. Also, when I see ultra-high res screenshots of games it makes me drool. I honestly prefer one huge monitor mainly because of the space. Should I wait for 4K monitors or will I be satisfied with a 27" monitor. I'm currently using a Dell U2412 and it's starting to look small compared to what I been seeing lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Risky posted:

Is having three or more > 27" screens the norm now? That's all I see on the guys rigs on hardforums. Also, when I see ultra-high res screenshots of games it makes me drool. I honestly prefer one huge monitor mainly because of the space. Should I wait for 4K monitors or will I be satisfied with a 27" monitor. I'm currently using a Dell U2412 and it's starting to look small compared to what I been seeing lately.
Even if you could purchase a 4K monitor today that supported Display port (1.2...?) to even enable 60fps at that res and not cost $5,000+, no video hardware out there could drive it an acceptable framerate for games unless you go nuts and get tri-SLI. I'd wait a couple of years until the prices are more realistic.

So I'd just go for a single 27" at this point.