Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Williams' vocal performance on Touch is fantastic mostly because it's so operatic and schmaltzy. I think if there's any song from this album that's gonna be seen as a masterpiece a decade or so from now it's that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Somewhere out there is a parallel universe where they used Colm Wilkinson for Touch

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Somewhere out there is a parallel universe where they used Colm Wilkinson for Touch

Somewhere out there is a parallel universe of robots with 2 robots dressed as humans making human music about longing to be more binary.

:)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Cleretic posted:

Walt Ribiero's done more Daft Punk covers than he has of any other artist, and they're all pretty great. Personally my favorite is Harder Better Faster Stronger, it absolutely nails the feel of the song.
This really reminds me of some of the music from Banjo-Kazooie, oddly enough.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Feenix posted:

Somewhere out there is a parallel universe of robots with 2 robots dressed as humans making human music about longing to be more binary.

:)

Kraftwerk?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
1 more x

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

-Inu- posted:

This really reminds me of some of the music from Banjo-Kazooie, oddly enough.

Now that you mention it, I can hear that. It uses a lot of the same elements that were used in Rare's more industrial level themes (Rusty Bucket Bay, Grunty Industries, Frantic Factory from DK64).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thathonkey posted:

Kraftwerk?

Hahahaha, nice one :golfclap:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bown posted:

I think Williams' vocal performance on Touch is fantastic mostly because it's so operatic and schmaltzy. I think if there's any song from this album that's gonna be seen as a masterpiece a decade or so from now it's that one.

I seriously believe it.

I don't know, for me it's the ending of Touch that gets me. When he sings "you almost convinced me I'm real", it really just hits home.

For me, "Beyond" has become the song I skip the most. But then "Contact" has grown on me in a huge way since the album dropped, so maybe I'll come around to it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I don't know, for me it's the ending of Touch that gets me. When he sings "you almost convinced me I'm real", it really just hits home.

He really fuckin' belts that part out, man!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

For me, "Beyond" has become the song I skip the most.

Same here. Beyond and Motherboard are the two songs I've listened to the least from this album. Now, that's not to say that I don't like those songs, because I like them quite a bit, but I guess I just like all the other songs even more. If I'm going to listen to a song or multiple songs from RAM at random, it's going to be any of the other tracks on the album, not those 2. I pretty much only listen to those when I'm listening to the album straight through. Though when I'm listening straight through, I'm not going to skip those.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, rectify this. Immediately.

(Hell, there's even a song on the TRON Legacy OST called "Rectifier". Though it's one of the least Daft Punk sounding tracks on the whole thing.)

I own both TRON-movies, but haven't seen any of them.
Though I have both the OST and the remix of it, and I love the hell out of both of them. The remix album was the first album I put on my SGSII when I bought it and is probably the one that has been played the most.

It's so good, not as good as Discovery or RAM, but drat!

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I think now I need to step in and say that Beyond is easily the most kickass song on the album and how dare anyone slander it. The song is a good enough reason to use the word "epic" again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

an skeleton posted:

I think now I need to step in and say that Beyond is easily the most kickass song on the album and how dare anyone slander it. The song is a good enough reason to use the word "epic" again.

I think there are 3 songs on this album that could qualify as "epic", and Beyond isn't one of them:

Giorgio, Touch and Contact

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

I think there are 3 songs on this album that could qualify as "epic", and Beyond isn't one of them:

Giorgio, Touch and Contact

Beyond is more traditionally structured than those songs and therefore automatically seems less epic by comparison. Anyway, it is a great song.

This is the first amazing "remix" I have heard, and it is certainly not what you would think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf8Tda6rmi4

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 31, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ript, one of them only-available-for-24-hours-then-retired-forever t-shirt sites, has a pretty loving sweet Daft Punk yin-yang shirt today. Thought maybe some of you'd be interested. https://www.riptapparel.com/

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Personally my favorite is Harder Better Faster Stronger, it absolutely nails the feel of the song.

This is such a loving mess I don't know where to start

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Captain Invictus posted:

Ript, one of them only-available-for-24-hours-then-retired-forever t-shirt sites, has a pretty loving sweet Daft Punk yin-yang shirt today. Thought maybe some of you'd be interested. https://www.riptapparel.com/

I am, but I've ordered 3 Daft Punk shirts in the past couple weeks and I don't know if I can justify another one :negative:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

m-o-o-n posted:

This is such a loving mess I don't know where to start

I think I'd rather listen to "Aerodynamic" played on floppy drives.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Captain Invictus posted:

drat you! Now I've spent my food money on another t-shirt. :(

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

That reminds me, Neatorama has that Peanuts/Charlie Brown-style Daft Punk shirt available now:

http://www.neatoshop.com/product/Daft-Nuts

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mutata posted:

That reminds me, Neatorama has that Peanuts/Charlie Brown-style Daft Punk shirt available now:

One of the 3 I bought within the last few weeks :cool:

Got it from TeeFury. I've gotten a bunch of compliments on it while wearing it out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

mutata posted:

There is no time limit on these?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

There is no time limit on these?

Correct. They also have the super Mario brothers parody one "Super Daft Bros".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I am, but I've ordered 3 Daft Punk shirts in the past couple weeks and I don't know if I can justify another one :negative:

I'd do it, if not just to have it for later since they're only available now and honestly it's pretty drat nice. Also only 12 or so bucks shipped.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It was a toss up but I decided to go with the Daft Nuts shirt. That is a great great design.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Datasmurf posted:

drat you! Now I've spent my food money on another t-shirt. :(

Same. Also I saw Daft Punk "El Miseterioso Dueto Robotico" was mentioned on the cover of some mexican magazine I saw in the taco shop I was eating at for lunch. Wish I was able to understand the article about them though, they did mention Todd Edwards and Pharrell.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Bisse posted:

Also, which Giorgio song is the one with the 'click' that he talks about.

I'm curious about this as well, but then again maybe I should just go listen to all his stuff and find out for myself.

Hels
May 26, 2003

MykonosFan posted:

I'm curious about this as well, but then again maybe I should just go listen to all his stuff and find out for myself.

I don't think it was used audibly (like it is in the Giorgio by Moroder). I think he just created a click track and the Moog was synced to it. Sort of a normal thing. I could be wrong though. Probably listening to all his stuff is a worthwhile venture anyway, so have at it!

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Bisse posted:

Also, which Giorgio song is the one with the 'click' that he talks about.
"I Need Love" by Donna Summer, which is the last track from the concept album he was talking about, I Remember Yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2q2bis6eLE

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I can't help but think that this album would have been better if they exchanged some of the male guest artists for women.
It's just something about female vocals that suits this type of music better than falsetto-singing men.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
That's a really good point. The whole album is weirdly male-dominated now that I think about it, considering the number of collaborators. Some female voices would have been great.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

NPR's review had the same critique.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I can't help but think that this album would have been better if they exchanged some of the male guest artists for women.
It's just something about female vocals that suits this type of music better than falsetto-singing men.

I'm thinking about it now and holy poo poo are you right. :ughh:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Not that I disagree (I love female disco songs) but I think it's kind of the point. The concept is daft punk going through all these robot emotions and it's 2 dudes. vOv

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ilustforponydeath posted:

It varies; I think a lot of great male singers can fit this music well, but they're just harder to find.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Here's another interesting tidbit on RAM's sales: about 19,000 of the over 300,000 copies sold in the US on opening week were on vinyl. Besides being by far the most vinyl copies sold of any album this year, it's likely the biggest vinyl week for a single album in almost 20 years.

I have to say I'm enjoying my vinyl copy nicely so far.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I didn't think so many people would dislike Touch. It's so 1970s-style cheesy that I get a smile on my face whenever it plays. I guess it doesn't hurt that I absolutely loved the Phantom of the Paradise as a kid.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I have to say, I do like NME's review of RAM. It's a pleasant read and I agree wholeheartedly with it.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Well, after a couple of weeks and a few more listens, the album... hasn't grown on me. It's still dramatically overlong, the production is still way too hygienic, and the songs are still, for all their production detail, underwritten.

The only one I've come to particularly like is Instant Crush. Like other people have said, the line "take me, I don't wanna sing any more" is really affecting, and beautifully delivered. It's a rare moment of emotional resonance. But I hate the chorus, because the chord change jars every time.

Datasmurf posted:

I have to say, I do like NME's review of RAM. It's a pleasant read and I agree wholeheartedly with it.

NME posted:

Go out and rejoice: there’s something new under the sun.

Ew, gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I wrote film reviews in high school and I never wrote a line that bad.

• Locked thread