Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Strudel Man posted:

Ah, there we go. Did you actually capture her in the siege, or was it from defeating the independence league, which imprisons its members?

I'm pretty sure it was the siege as it took another two months for the war to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

A Tartan Tory posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the siege as it took another two months for the war to end.
Hm. Well, I find the whole thing a little bit opaque. The code certainly looks like you should be able to capture rulers regardless, since there's an "is_ruler = yes" right there in the qualifying conditions. But I wasn't able to capture non-vassal rulers by sieging them, even when turning the chance to 100%. Maybe you can if they're a vassal, though if so, it's not clear why.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Kersch posted:

Man, I need a guide on how to pronounce Norse names with letters that I've never seen before.

Assuming they mean the same thing in Olde-Timey Scandinavian then as they do now, Ð/ð = th as in "that," Þ/þ = th as in "thank."

Is there a simple way to get my hands on the holy site in Denmark I'm missing? I can't do a conquest CB because they're good proper Norsemen, I can't do a subjugation CB because I'm Sweden and they're not. I've had my chancellor parked on the drat county for 40 years and the one time he found a claim I was nearly broke and hemohrraging mercenary salaries from fighting off a holy war.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Wonderslug posted:

Assuming they mean the same thing in Olde-Timey Scandinavian then as they do now, Ð/ð = th as in "that," Þ/þ = th as in "thank."

Those are the same sound.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Cumfart Vortex posted:

You use your vocal cords for the "th" in "that." You do not for the th in "thank."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

quiggy posted:

Wait, there's a 40 holding limit on your holdings + target holdings? Ugh, no wonder I'm having trouble finding an invasion, guess I'll stick to fabricated + de jure claims mainly then.

This can't be right. I launched a prepared invasion against East Francia when I had 37 holdings and after I won I had 70 something. It must be that you have to have under 40 and they also must have under 40, so if you have 39 and they have 39 then everything is still go.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Cumfart Vortex posted:

This is not true. The eth (ð) is a voiced dental fricative, as the th in them, while the thorn (þ) is a voiceless dental fricative (apart from when it's a voiced dental fricative as well!...but this usage is contained within Old English, not Old Norse), as with th in thick.

Hurray! My linguistics and Old English courses are coming in useful!

Noreaus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 31, 2013

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Wonderslug posted:

Is there a simple way to get my hands on the holy site in Denmark I'm missing? I can't do a conquest CB because they're good proper Norsemen, I can't do a subjugation CB because I'm Sweden and they're not. I've had my chancellor parked on the drat county for 40 years and the one time he found a claim I was nearly broke and hemohrraging mercenary salaries from fighting off a holy war.
You should be able to either conquest or subjugate them. Make sure you aren't on the cool down timer and they aren't fighting a defensive subjugation war.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
So, my king died 10 piety short of reforming paganism, and then it splintered my kingdom. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Daeren posted:

The long answer is that there's quite a few ways to expand your personal demesne, with varying degrees of risk and ease. If you're a Catholic, the best way to grab a chunk of countryside you have no de jure claim on via ducal or kingdom titles is to send your chancellor over to fabricate a claim. This involves a lot of waiting and hoping, basically.

Kersch posted:

Here's your options as a Christian character:

* Invite an unmarried character with an inheritable claim to your court, then arrange a marriage with them and a member of your dynasty. Make sure you use whichever marriage type that will have them produce children of your dynasty. Once they have children, and their parent with claims dies, they will inherit those claims and you can press the claim for the child. As long as a character is part of your dynasty and the claim you are pressing for them is for a title that is a lower rank than yours, they will become your vassal.

* Holy War against another religion group. This lets you take an entire duchy and all of it's individual holdings in one shot.

* Invasions. If you are Catholic, you can ask the Pope for permission to invade a larger realm than yours. For example, say you're a super duke with 30 holdings in your realm in northern England and you notice that the current king of Scotland, who has 60 holdings in his realm, is having a really bad time. You can open diplomacy with him and near the bottom of the list there should be something along the lines of 'Request Invasion'. This allows you to take the target's top level title and all of their personal holdings. All of the previous title holder's vassals will become vassals of yours.

Related to the first bullet point, you can always play fast and loose with marrying your male dynasty members off to land holding women outside of your realm. Some of them will succeed in entrenching your dynasty wherever they end up, and then a few generations down the road you'll be able to invite claimants for that area to your court whom are already conveniently members of your dynasty.

Yea basically I'm doing all of these things; marrying courtiers with claims into my dynasty, fabricating claims, and pressing claims when they come up. I started as a Duke (or Earl?) in Ireland as himself as the only member of his dynasty with a single province. I've since become his son, become a petty king in the north, and have dynasty members ruling all over Ireland, but as I'm trying to create the Kingdom of Ireland this is taking forever. It looks as if it might take another 1 or 2 generations just to conquer more than half of Ireland just to create the kingdom.

Oh, and my wife is Queen of a province under my territory but she refuses to become my vassal! I can't declare war on her because "she's my wife."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dauntasa posted:

This can't be right. I launched a prepared invasion against East Francia when I had 37 holdings and after I won I had 70 something. It must be that you have to have under 40 and they also must have under 40, so if you have 39 and they have 39 then everything is still go.

To be clear: You must have fewer than 41 holdings in your realm, and the target must have fewer than 40 holdings in the de jure kingdom you wish to conquer/invade. Let's take the king of West Francia at game start again as an example, with you the petty king of Sviþjod (basically Sweden). You have 22 holdings, Charles the Bald has 115 holdings: 73 holdings in West Francia, 21 holdings in Frisia and 21 holdins in Aquitaine. So you can prepare the invasion and declare war for either Frisia or Aquitane, and if you are successful you vassalize or take all holdings of king Charles in Frisia/Aquitaine. But you cannot invade West Francia because he has 73 holdings there, so more than the 40 upper limit. You then have 22 + 21 holdings, so more than 40; this means there is no restriction on your holdings + target holdings.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sanzuo posted:

Yea basically I'm doing all of these things; marrying courtiers with claims into my dynasty, fabricating claims, and pressing claims when they come up. I started as a Duke (or Earl?) in Ireland as himself as the only member of his dynasty with a single province. I've since become his son, become a petty king in the north, and have dynasty members ruling all over Ireland, but as I'm trying to create the Kingdom of Ireland this is taking forever. It looks as if it might take another 1 or 2 generations just to conquer more than half of Ireland just to create the kingdom.

Oh, and my wife is Queen of a province under my territory but she refuses to become my vassal! I can't declare war on her because "she's my wife."

Yeah, fabricating claims can be slow going. You can speed it up by having a better chancellor and making sure your chancellor has a high opinion of you, though it's still ultimately down to RNG. And your heir will inherit your wife's territory when she dies, so you'll get that land eventually. You could even do something to speed it along if she's taking too long to die, if you catch my drift. :ese:

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Another thing that keeps happening and is kind of annoying is that members of my court (especially my spymasters) keep getting murdered. The message tells me who did it, but I'm unable to link to them and since the ability to search for specific people seems to have been patched out finding who did it and why is often impossible.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Should I marry my characters 15 year younger niece in order to inherit most of England? :ohdear:

I can only imagine the abominations...

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Tartan Tory posted:

Should I marry my characters 15 year younger niece in order to inherit most of England? :ohdear:

You can get away with a little bit of inbreeding without ill effect for the most part, poo poo like Charles II of Spain only happens when you replace your famiy tree with a pole.

treestump
Dec 20, 2004
what was David Coverdale to do?

A Tartan Tory posted:

Roll the dice, you know you want to.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sanzuo posted:

Another thing that keeps happening and is kind of annoying is that members of my court (especially my spymasters) keep getting murdered. The message tells me who did it, but I'm unable to link to them and since the ability to search for specific people seems to have been patched out finding who did it and why is often impossible.
Are they getting murdered by angry peasants, or by other noblemen? If it's the former, that's a RNG thing, nothing to do about it. If people are actively plotting to kill them... that's interesting. Stop giving council seats to people who have landed titles so that they won't be the target of power plays and make sure your spymaster is Scheming in your capital so you can catch the assassination plots.

Unrelated question to the thread: Y'know how if you click on a duchy, you can see what kingdom it's de jure a part of and the button to usurp/create that kingdom is there? How do I go from kingdoms to empires? I want to know how close I am to being able to create Brittania and what I need to do to get there, so I can do it sooner.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

A Tartan Tory posted:

No, marry her to your second or third son, then once she has spawned the abomination kill his parents and assume regency. After that murder the child and place yourself at the head of the realm.

Then laugh and start hoping nobody notices you murdered your own son.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Reveilled posted:

You can get away with a little bit of inbreeding without ill effect for the most part, poo poo like Charles II of Spain only happens when you replace your famiy tree with a pole.

Keep in mind this applies to real life as well :pervert:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Reveilled posted:

My family tree pretty much is a pole already, I've been marrying first and second cousins for about 4-5 generations now. Norse Eugenics program!

Josef bugman posted:

No, marry her to your second or third son, then once she has spawned the abomination kill his parents and assume regency. After that murder the child and place yourself at the head of the realm.

Then laugh and start hoping nobody notices you murdered your own son.

I'm unreformed Norse, I've already murdered most of my sons because Gavelkind.

treestump posted:

Roll the dice, you know you want to.

One more roll can't hurt, lets go full Targaryen on Europe!

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

If I have an Antipope can they authorize me to invade? The normal pope likes my rival more than me.

Edit: Ok so my wife died (rip) and now that county belongs to my son, and he won't be my vassal either. Dangit, Bobby!

Sanzuo fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 31, 2013

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Playing TOG reminds me how horrible CK vanilla is compared to CK+. Can't wait for Wiz to update his mod. :)

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Did they change how modding in new CoAs works? I did everything correctly - the new CoAs show up in-game, BUT they don't show up when using previous savegames. So in order to use custom CoAs I have to start a new game? That seems bogus, and that wasn't the case before. Anyone familiar with this?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

A Tartan Tory posted:

Well, playing as a Zoroastrian my family has constantly been marrying their sisters/daughters and only one member so far has come out with the inbred trait (she died comatose at age 20), so yeah, go for it.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Can someone explain the difference between a republic and a merchant republic too me? Or more specifically; how can I make a merchant republic as a one of those finno-urgic dukes north of Russia? I want to try a gimmick game as a stuffy patrician family at the edge of the world but all of my attempts so far have ended up creating unplayable republics.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Scrree posted:

Can someone explain the difference between a republic and a merchant republic too me? Or more specifically; how can I make a merchant republic as a one of those finno-urgic dukes north of Russia? I want to try a gimmick game as a stuffy patrician family at the edge of the world but all of my attempts so far have ended up creating unplayable republics.

A republic that is duke-level or above and coastal is a merchant republic, unless its the vassal of another (king or above) merchant republic.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Merchant republics are all coastal iirc.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Ah, that's the problem. There are no cities on the northern coast, so I've been granting inland mayors coastal provinces - Guess I'll have to play as a duke for a while til I build the funds to get a city up there.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

In CK2's script stuff, what's the thingy to check restrict something to vassals or make it so they can't be vassals and do something?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Agnostalgia posted:

A republic that is duke-level or above and coastal is a merchant republic, unless its the vassal of another (king or above) merchant republic.

I think it is the case that Merchant republics cannot be the vassals of any republic. Last time I played as the Roman Empire, I made Flanders into a merchant republic, but when I gave the mayor of Paris the French title, Flanders (as part of France and therefore transferred into the vassalage of Paris) got turned back into a regular republic.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

CapnAndy posted:

Unrelated question to the thread: Y'know how if you click on a duchy, you can see what kingdom it's de jure a part of and the button to usurp/create that kingdom is there? How do I go from kingdoms to empires? I want to know how close I am to being able to create Brittania and what I need to do to get there, so I can do it sooner.

Click the "de jure" check box in the title info window.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sanzuo posted:

You are able to search for specific people? Use the character finder (rightmost symbol under the mini map [excluding zoom in/out]) and write the name in the empty box on top of it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

BabyFur Denny posted:

Playing TOG reminds me how horrible CK vanilla is compared to CK+. Can't wait for Wiz to update his mod. :)
Eh, I've been a longtime CK+ user, but honestly, I don't have that many complaints - vanilla feels better than it used to be. The main thing I find myself missing are the boosted warscore from winning battles (particularly as sieges drag on forever in the late game), and the faction adjustments.

God, that vanilla independence faction. Kinsmen of my culture and religion, with 50 opinion of me, demanding independence. Ridiculous.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Vassals being assholes is one of the 'features' of unreformed paganism- I had to put down a civil war every decade until I reformed.

SpaceGirlArt
Mar 29, 2008
Well, the tables certainly turned quickly on me.

I start out in Ireland, in the southernmost province of Desmond(Old Gods). I spent the first 30 years or so improving my holdings and getting money. In the meantime, Christian Spain is pretty much united under one banner. I slowly expand, taking 3 new provinces and creating a duchy. At this point, I manage to score off a major coup by marrying my heir in a regular marriage to the queen of said Christian Spain. She's really powerful and has a ton of room to expand into using holy war CBs. Plus, that will hopefully scare Jorvik off and prevent him from taking my Irish holdings.

This is when everything goes wrong. My heir has one son and 3 daughters. The queen had 2 daughters prior to marriage with my heir. Ruler dies, heir inherits. Everything is good and setup... when..

My sole son, the heir to my Irish holdings and the Queen's Spanish holdings, dies. So, the queen's lands are going off to her daughters and I lack the funds to go on assassination sprees. Meanwhile, my eldest daughter is set to inherit Ireland. Not a big deal, right? Oh, except that she's already in a regular marriage. Before I have a chance to try and off him, my character dies.

Now I'm a female ruler, widely hated in my little duchy. Within a month, I'm excommunicated by a rival Irish catholic ruler. Great. I assassinate my husband. Assassination fails. He tries to hit me back. He wounds me. I get the revenge event, and finally take him down. I quickly remarry (into orthodox) and try to have kids. A few years later, still no pregnancy and my childbearing years are growing fewer. I send him gifts and try to get him to like me in hopes that will boost my chances of pregnancy. Meanwhile, my entire realm revolts against me. I manage to crush it with the help of mercenaries and give a revoked province title to my husband.

He promptly demands independence and I go into a civil war with the guy who was supposed to get me pregnant.

By the time I crush his revolt, I'm like 45 and drifting well out of child bearing age. I'm now currently coasting into a game over with no way out. Very unfortunate.

SpaceGirlArt fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 31, 2013

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Strudel Man posted:

Eh, I've been a longtime CK+ user, but honestly, I don't have that many complaints - vanilla feels better than it used to be. The main thing I find myself missing are the boosted warscore from winning battles (particularly as sieges drag on forever in the late game), and the faction adjustments.

God, that vanilla independence faction. Kinsmen of my culture and religion, with 50 opinion of me, demanding independence. Ridiculous.

If you don't mind me asking, did you get your title in reference to greek automatons?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SpaceGirlArt posted:

Well, the tables certainly turned quickly on me.

I start out in Ireland, in the southernmost province of Desmond(Old Gods). I spent the first 30 years or so improving my holdings and getting money. In the meantime, Christian Spain is pretty much united under one banner. I slowly expand, taking 3 new provinces and creating a duchy. At this point, I manage to score off a major coup by marrying my heir in a regular marriage to the queen of said Christian Spain. She's really powerful and has a ton of room to expand into using holy war CBs. Plus, that will hopefully scare Jorvik off and prevent him from taking my Irish holdings.

This is when everything goes wrong. My heir has one son and 3 daughters. The queen had 2 daughters prior to marriage with my heir. Ruler dies, heir inherits. Everything is good and setup... when..

My sole son, the heir to my Irish holdings and the Queen's Spanish holdings, dies. So, the queen's lands are going off to her daughters and I lack the funds to go on assassination sprees. Meanwhile, my eldest daughter is set to inherit Ireland. Not a big deal, right? Oh, except that she's already in a regular marriage. Before I have a chance to try and off him, my character dies.

Now I'm a female ruler, widely hated in my little duchy. Within a month, I'm excommunicated by a rival Irish catholic ruler. Great. I assassinate my husband. Assassination fails. He tries to hit me back. He wounds me. I get the revenge event, and finally take him down. I quickly remarry (into orthodox) and try to have kids. A few years later, still no pregnancy and my childbearing years are growing fewer. I send him gifts and try to get him to like me in hopes that will boost my chances of pregnancy. Meanwhile, my entire realm revolts against me. I manage to crush it with the help of mercenaries and give a revoked province title to my husband.

He promptly demands independence and I go into a civil war with the guy who was supposed to get me pregnant.

By the time I crush his revolt, I'm like 45 and drifting well out of child bearing age. I'm now currently coasting into a game over with no way out. Very unfortunate.

Can you change succession law? Set up an elective and start revoking titles of everyone that disagrees. Sure, odds are you'll get crushed in the revolt, but it's better than a guaranteed game over.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

I think they've boosted the amount of warscore you get from winning battles actually. It used to be small but now I've gotten 25% from a single battle.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A Tartan Tory posted:

A bit late on this, but go for it. You'll be fine if it's an isolated incident. I've been inbreeding with half-siblings and uncles/nieces for two, going on three generations in my Zoroastrian game and haven't gotten a single inbred kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Strudel Man posted:

Okay, load up as any country that isn't the HRE in 1066. Now go to the ledger and look at independent realms, and then sort by troop size.

• Locked thread