Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Well, that was the manga equivalent of white noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Seriously? We have to do this "Ippo is weaker" poo poo again? Wasn't the point in all the jerking around beating up the various dirty asian stereotypes to get him ready?

I think that Ippo being like "ah yeah I guess" in response to Sendo getting all motivated post-fight was supposed to indicate that Ippo has lost his ambition or something.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'm ok with these kinds of chapters if we get to see funny interactions between Mashiba and Ippo

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
One more: http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/15141466/1

Yup, it's pretty much his mentality that's making him weak now. He needs more drive to take the World.

Sonata Mused fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 31, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I had completely forgotten Mashiba and Kumi were related.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The idea that a woman in an apron is something that should make you go weak at the knees is hilariously dating for this manga.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The motherfucker finally made a move after 1011 chapters!

Too bad it didn't pan out but, at least PROGRESS

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That's not really worth spoiling. Ippo appears to have made progress in a thing, again, now watch as it goes nowhere for another 200 chapters, again.

This chapter was basically "Hey remember that good fight? Hope you enjoyed it because we are back to the same old song." to me.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
This poo poo is painfully slow but tbh he did skip probably about 680 chapters by just having Ippo move to the 2nd ranked guy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its going to become properly realistic now and the next 1000 chapters will be world champions avoiding Ippo in case they lose

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/43687598/1

Haven't read it yet, but yay new chapter.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
-Likely foreshadowing of Kamogawa dropping dead or having a health issue; the other trainers make a special note to comment on how Kamogawa can stand up to Ippo/Takamura in their training despite his age.

-Itagaki is fighting his hated rival that we all forgot about again for Ippo's vacated title. He's being a smart-rear end about it, so maybe he'll lose?

-Takamura expresses all of the reader's frustrations at the fact that there has not been enough Takamura fighting, and that there may be a 'unification match' to square away the competitive weight class he is in.

-Takamura muses over Ippo being world champ; he seems to think Ippo could bring down a champ if he could hit him, but doubts that he can well hit him. Then he notices something in the boxing mag he's looking at that shocks him.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
The next chapter is out already too, so you can see why Ippo should be cocky.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Ugh... what a waste of a chapter (1013 anyways).

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Ippo dick jokes are never a waste of a chapter.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fabricated posted:

-Likely foreshadowing of Kamogawa dropping dead or having a health issue; the other trainers make a special note to comment on how Kamogawa can stand up to Ippo/Takamura in their training despite his age.

-Itagaki is fighting his hated rival that we all forgot about again for Ippo's vacated title. He's being a smart-rear end about it, so maybe he'll lose?

-Takamura expresses all of the reader's frustrations at the fact that there has not been enough Takamura fighting, and that there may be a 'unification match' to square away the competitive weight class he is in.

-Takamura muses over Ippo being world champ; he seems to think Ippo could bring down a champ if he could hit him, but doubts that he can well hit him. Then he notices something in the boxing mag he's looking at that shocks him.

Takamura seems to think that Kamogawa will pit Ippo against Vorg to show him that hes ~weak~ or some poo poo. Queue one thousand more chapters of Ippo wondering what it means to be strong.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Frabba posted:

Ippo dick jokes are never a waste of a chapter.
You speak the truth. Especially when they involve silly Takamura et al shenanigans. Ippo's reaction were great, as well.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

For those who haven't noticed yet, 1013 and 1014 are up.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I am honestly torn about 1013... On the one hand its a bit of a waste, on the other, I woke up my housemates because I was laughing too loudly. Ippo dick jokes are the best!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So uh, provided they don't have Ippo lose or whatever what are they going to do with him if he beats this guy and Martinez? I mean, title defenses while Takamura conquers the 3 remaining weight classes?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I guess another 500 chapters hyping the Miyata rematch.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
There's still a rematch with Sendo, the Miyata superfight, and maybe Itagaki will make a heel turn once he's champ, and try to fight Ippo for the world title.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Major plot spoilers:

AFTER A HOT BATH
I SHINE MY NUTS

edit: Hajime no Ippo: Ippo's cocked, ready for battle!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I'm wondering if this will be Ippo's second loss. Following which, Miyata gets the #1 challenger spot or whatever and gives him a shot to get back up there so they can have their fight, then he fights Martinez.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was actually a pretty good joke until he spent a whole chapter running it into the ground.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The weird racial eugenics stuff in Japanese sports manga never gets old. Mexican fighters have longer jabs! (or whatever strange generalization they were making).

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ytlaya posted:

The weird racial eugenics stuff in Japanese sports manga never gets old. Mexican fighters have longer jabs! (or whatever strange generalization they were making).

Even it is leaving me confused. Mexican boxing is just being technical and taking punches. They don't emphasize on footwork though. I mean there is also some who like being flashy.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 19, 2013

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mexican boxing is usually more hook centric than anything.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KidDynamite posted:

Mexican boxing is usually more hook centric than anything.

There is also a lot of reckless punch-taking so Ippo will feel right at home.

Also, Ippo will never lose again, cause that would slow the story's progression (as in his path to the title) even more.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like how Takamura implied Ippo's record is decent, when in reality any pro boxer would kill for Ippo's record.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Yeah, but I mean, was that in the same chapter where he called all the world champions scrubs, or just like one chapter later or something?

I guess what I'm saying is, that's just Takamura for you. Also Ippo never beat a bear.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

I like how Takamura implied Ippo's record is decent, when in reality any pro boxer would kill for Ippo's record.

Well, compared to Takamura's it *is* only decent. Takamura just happens to have a perfect all-KO record. spoiler: Takamura also happens to be a huge rear end in a top hat

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1015 and Chapter 1016 are out.

What will come out on top, Japanese Samurai Spirit or Mexican Machismo? With all this talk of his left, he's got to have some other trick up his sleeve.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's going to be kind of silly if (read: when) Ippo beats this guy. Ippo has been struggling with folks fighting him for the Japanese belt, and this guy is #2 in the world. A the very least they could have had him fight someone else in the top 10 first. It's probably the first time that the comic might be trying to move too fast. I think that it's possible Morikawa might be finally starting to look towards ending the comic.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why does everybody and their dog have to travel to Japan to fight Ippo? Jesus, talk about the world coming to you... with Machismo in its heart.

I'm afraid that Ippo is going to conquer the world in two fights.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Am I the only one thinking that this is just some lame attempt to show how good the world class fighters are? It seems to me like a setup for "wow the guys at the top of the world class are so good.... I have to train harder!" Then cue about 10 more matches before he gets to the top?

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Eh, maybe Ippo becoming the number 2 in the world will spur both Miyata and Sendo to fight him, before he can take on Martinez.

Way I see it, this fight is for him to prove that he can beat Ricardo's technique. Then fight Sendo, the only other fighter who has the same kind of power. And finally, Miyata, who embodies the speed and cool thinking under pressure.

Only after he beats all three he could stand a chance against Ricardo, that manly mexican übermensch of boxing :allears:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

The guy Ippo is fighting is technically 3rd in the world, right? Like it's Martinez (Champion) -> Idk some guy (Ranked 1) -> this Mexican (Ranked 2), right?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Thats how boxing works yeah. Of course actual ranking doesn't seem to matter anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

trucutru posted:

Why does everybody and their dog have to travel to Japan to fight Ippo? Jesus, talk about the world coming to you... with Machismo in its heart.

I'm afraid that Ippo is going to conquer the world in two fights.

Yeah but now that there are roughly ten major boxing protagonists in this manga, we can't give them all a bunch of fights, unless we want to be reading this for another 20 years.