Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chips are OK, but a dyno-tested custom ECU reflash is definitely the best option. They're not that much more expensive, and the best places will sell you a handheld ECU flasher that you just plug into the OBD and load whichever preset you want into the car, so you can go back to the standard map whenever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Some friends of mine recently had their car stolen (Oakland!) and are in need of a replacement. They're intrigued by the TDI after seeing my 2012 jetta wagon, and they like it, but definitely cannot afford that so they've been looking at older ones.

This just popped up on craigslist nearby (not much detail, unfortunately) http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3791699647.html and they're going to see it this evening. Happens to be right by my place so I offered to check it out with them since while I'm no mechanic, I know a good bit more about cars than they do. Any red flags there other than the leak? Particular issues to look out for? How does the price seem, assuming the leak is minor and easily fixed and the car is in otherwise good condition?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
The automatic transmission worries me, as they tend to die with enough miles. I forget what the timing belt interval is on that model. I've got an older one ('98) and the interval is 60k miles, so 184k would mean that either it was just done or it's overdue for one. If it is due for a timing belt, that should be factored into the price. You'll likely need a new engine in the timing belt snaps, so it shouldn't be put off.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea, that automatic will die. Not just wear out but actual hard parts break in them. The price is kinda high considering its going to need either another transmission or a 5 speed swap.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Thanks guys. Checked it out, it had some other problems with it as well and was generally not in great condition, so he passed.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Is it normal for the tip of an old diesel injector to be tan coloured, exactly like a properly burning spark plug? I've just replaced a duff injector in my Peugeot 306 that was causing a non-start issue, and I'm kinda worried that the whole tip of it was that colour, but this is my first diesel so I dunno what to expect. :shobon:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Steve French posted:

Thanks guys. Checked it out, it had some other problems with it as well and was generally not in great condition, so he passed.

What was the "leak" ?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

jammyozzy posted:

Is it normal for the tip of an old diesel injector to be tan coloured, exactly like a properly burning spark plug? I've just replaced a duff injector in my Peugeot 306 that was causing a non-start issue, and I'm kinda worried that the whole tip of it was that colour, but this is my first diesel so I dunno what to expect. :shobon:

Sounds like coking, if it was the old injector that looked like it, you were probably right to replace it.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

OK, all diagnostics from the dealership show the new turbo I just installed last September is not functioning properly. The company I purchased it from suggests I mityvac the engine for oil viscosity issues since "They've seen this behavior before and mityvac'ing is effective in taking care of the issue as suggested to them by VW." However, VW however states that they suggest customers never do this. Which one of the two should I listen to at this point? I'm leaning towards what the VW dealership is stating since they are the dealer. Please clarify for me.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

CommieGIR posted:

Sounds like coking, if it was the old injector that looked like it, you were probably right to replace it.

Yeah it was the old one, the 'new' (less old) replacement had some carbon build-up on it but was otherwise still metal coloured.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

OK, all diagnostics from the dealership show the new turbo I just installed last September is not functioning properly. The company I purchased it from suggests I mityvac the engine for oil viscosity issues since "They've seen this behavior before and mityvac'ing is effective in taking care of the issue as suggested to them by VW." However, VW however states that they suggest customers never do this. Which one of the two should I listen to at this point? I'm leaning towards what the VW dealership is stating since they are the dealer. Please clarify for me.

At this point, I'd suspect the turbo is faulty, either overboosting or underboosting. Some photos of the intake and exhaust side turbines would help us determine that, also, DO try mityvac'ing the wastegate with the exhaust downpipe off and see if it moves.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

What was the "leak" ?

Here's an image (not of the car in question):

It was a real slow fuel leak on the injection pump, there wasn't a good seal between the pump and the little black box with wires attached to it there (not sure exactly what it is or what it's called). Seems to me like something that would prooobably be cheap and easy to fix; the owner gave some lame sounding reason why it's not fixed, like his mechanic didn't have the right tools to remove it or couldn't find a replacement part.

My friend drove it with him about 1/2 a mile to fill it up since it was low on fuel, and in that 1/2 mile drive up a short hill it apparently wouldn't go above like 20mph up the hill even with the pedal floored, so he told the guy he wasn't interested. I wasn't in the car so I'm not sure, but maybe the transmission was already on its way out and wasn't shifting right? From what I saw the engine seemed to be running fine, so I would have been surprised if that was due to general lack of power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Steve French posted:

Here's an image (not of the car in question):

It was a real slow fuel leak on the injection pump, there wasn't a good seal between the pump and the little black box with wires attached to it there (not sure exactly what it is or what it's called). Seems to me like something that would prooobably be cheap and easy to fix; the owner gave some lame sounding reason why it's not fixed, like his mechanic didn't have the right tools to remove it or couldn't find a replacement part.

My friend drove it with him about 1/2 a mile to fill it up since it was low on fuel, and in that 1/2 mile drive up a short hill it apparently wouldn't go above like 20mph up the hill even with the pedal floored, so he told the guy he wasn't interested. I wasn't in the car so I'm not sure, but maybe the transmission was already on its way out and wasn't shifting right? From what I saw the engine seemed to be running fine, so I would have been surprised if that was due to general lack of power.

Wow. That think sounds like it was ruined. Did it smoke?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The injector tips in my 1KZ-TE Toyota diesel were blue from heat and still functioned perfectly well!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

At this point, I'd suspect the turbo is faulty, either overboosting or underboosting. Some photos of the intake and exhaust side turbines would help us determine that, also, DO try mityvac'ing the wastegate with the exhaust downpipe off and see if it moves.

Well, yeah, mityvac'ing the wastegate is no big trick, dude was talking about mityvac'ing the oil out of the engine because "who knows what intervals the owner is changing the fluid at, because we only experience a 3% aftermarket turbo failure out of the box." Yeah, every 3k miles since I've had it when it had 120k miles and no sludging issues. In parts world you can usually multiply failure rates by 5, so I'm assuming I just got a crap turbo. I mityvac'ed the wastegate last night and it budges but that's it, it doesn't move the 1/2"-1" like it's supposed to. Not to mention the measuring blocks for the turbo were way off by the VAG unit VW hooked up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Well, yeah, mityvac'ing the wastegate is no big trick, dude was talking about mityvac'ing the oil out of the engine because "who knows what intervals the owner is changing the fluid at, because we only experience a 3% aftermarket turbo failure out of the box." Yeah, every 3k miles since I've had it when it had 120k miles and no sludging issues. In parts world you can usually multiply failure rates by 5, so I'm assuming I just got a crap turbo. I mityvac'ed the wastegate last night and it budges but that's it, it doesn't move the 1/2"-1" like it's supposed to. Not to mention the measuring blocks for the turbo were way off by the VAG unit VW hooked up.

Yep, sounds like you just need a turbocharger.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

I'm going to look at an 06 Jetta TDI at lunch tomorrow. 123k miles, one owner, clean carfax. Besides the standard asking of maintenance records (OIL CHANGE and TIMING BELT), anything model specific to look/listen for?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Jesus christ! What the gently caress are the injector tips on my 1HD-FTE made of? I just got a couple of quotes to recondition the injectors with new tips- Thats with me removing and reinstalling them.

$1500 for 6 injectors. They're not common rails, they're standard spring injectors, only difference is they have two springs, one pre-ignition then the main discharge.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

compton rear end terry posted:

I'm going to look at an 06 Jetta TDI at lunch tomorrow. 123k miles, one owner, clean carfax. Besides the standard asking of maintenance records (OIL CHANGE and TIMING BELT), anything model specific to look/listen for?

That's the last year of the high mpg TDI. 123k is barely broke in. That thing probably gets 50+ if you drive it right. Just being an mkV though I would look for the standard wear and tear items VW loves to kill. Stuff like wheel bearings and the like.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hey diesel truck guys, what do you think of this: http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/3833111501.html

93 Dodge D250 with Cummins

I know at 129K the oil burner in that thing is good to go; how about the rest of the truck? I know nothing about Dodges. How about the transmission in that thing? How about his asking price, what should I offer? Assuming the real life truck matches the pictures, it seems to be in pretty spectacular shape.

Plus, the guy responds via email with punctuation and spelling and everything!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I only know things about the suspension, engine, and manual transmissions in those... auto I'm tempted to crap on, but apparently if actually maintained by someone who knows things about dodge autos they can be made to last.

Engine: solid, as you noted. That's a cummins 612 valve 6BT, more accurately a 6BT5.9.
Rearend: solid, will last forever with good maintenance, or even poor maintenance.
Front diff, if 4x4: solid, that's the last year of the kingpin non vacuum disconnect frontend. Will last forever with maintenance.
Front suspension if RWD: I don't know anything about this

Basically make sure the transmission has been serviced properly and regularly and I think you should be good to go.

e: nothing to see here, move along!

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 31, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Doesn't it use the 727?

Ah, might be a 4 speed Torqueflite.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A 93 will most probably have an A518, which is basically a 727 with overdrive, and behind a Cummins it will be a non-lockup unit. Being an offspring of the 727 means it's a very stout tranny unlike later Chrysler offerings, although not very modern.

As for the engine, all 12 valve (not a 6 valve like kastein said, I think he meant 6 cylinder) 5.9 Cummins have a problem with a pin in the timing case that can fall out and get stuck between the timing gears, trashing the engine (worst case). If the pin has fallen out already and the engine isn't dead it's gonna be leaking oil at the front. Google "Cummins KDP" and read some.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yes, I am a dumbass and said 6 valve instead of 12 :downs:

I meant "not the more-valves one from the later years" aka the 24 valve.

(I know the 6bt is not a 2 stroke, so it has to have at least 2 valves per cylinder... I swear)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Yes, I am a dumbass and said 6 valve instead of 12 :downs:

I meant "not the more-valves one from the later years" aka the 24 valve.

(I know the 6bt is not a 2 stroke, so it has to have at least 2 valves per cylinder... I swear)

Can't you swap heads later?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
To start with, for a 24V swap you need a 24V head, the 24V pistons, 24V injectors and custom fuel lines, off the top of my head.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A 93 will most probably have an A518, which is basically a 727 with overdrive, and behind a Cummins it will be a non-lockup unit. Being an offspring of the 727 means it's a very stout tranny unlike later Chrysler offerings, although not very modern.

As for the engine, all 12 valve (not a 6 valve like kastein said, I think he meant 6 cylinder) 5.9 Cummins have a problem with a pin in the timing case that can fall out and get stuck between the timing gears, trashing the engine (worst case). If the pin has fallen out already and the engine isn't dead it's gonna be leaking oil at the front. Google "Cummins KDP" and read some.

Thanks everyone for the information. Will ask the seller if the KDP has been repaired. If I get to go look at it, will find out for sure what trans it has.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KDP has not been replaced, to the seller's knowledge. I suppose that might be an argument when talking price with the guy.

Any opinions on what the truck is actually worth? He says the pictures make the exterior look better than it really is. Basically I think the paint is gone and there are a few light dents. Edmunds TMV is like $1500 private party value which is obviously too low. Never shopped these trucks, and I only know what the newer ones go for (usually with a LOT more miles than this one too).

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

angryrobots posted:

KDP has not been replaced, to the seller's knowledge. I suppose that might be an argument when talking price with the guy.

Any opinions on what the truck is actually worth? He says the pictures make the exterior look better than it really is. Basically I think the paint is gone and there are a few light dents. Edmunds TMV is like $1500 private party value which is obviously too low. Never shopped these trucks, and I only know what the newer ones go for (usually with a LOT more miles than this one too).

That's the damned thing, some people will sell them for next to nothing, others, they are worth their weight in gold. For me, it takes hits on being a auto and 2wd, but big ups for diesel and extracab. I mean 5 bills is a lot of green for that truck. I paid less for a one ton dually, full 5th and hitch towing, extracab and it was three years older, but even less mileage.

KKB is showing it's value at around 4K, so it's not that far off. Try for around there I guess?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Went and looked at it, it's really in pretty nice shape. Few scrapes and the clearcoat is gone. Everything else is as he says. A/C works great, but is still R12. I guess they still sell Freeze 12 don't they?

Yes the trans is an A518.

I did not know that this generation's extra cab just has jump seats. The seller said he also owns a '94 extra cab, and he installed a rear bench from a F-150. Still not ideal with my 4 year-old and baby on the way. I'd like something I can safely and legally haul all four of us in.

I'm kind of up-and-down on the auto trans. For myself, I'd like a manual, but the wife will refuse to drive it and our Tundra is a spare vehicle she can drive so I'm probably stuck with having to get an auto trans truck. I'm not keeping the Tundra if I get something else.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Went and looked at it, it's really in pretty nice shape. Few scrapes and the clearcoat is gone. Everything else is as he says. A/C works great, but is still R12. I guess they still sell Freeze 12 don't they?

"They" still sell R-12. Freeze 12 is poo poo.

You're saying this like it's a bad thing that it still has the proper refrigerant in it. It's not. It means the AC should work properly, as opposed to a half assed R134a conversion that blows lukewarm moist air at you until you're on the highway.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I know R12 is better, but I can't get it which means a trip to a mechanic for a marked up refrigerant that is expensive to start with. i don't like things I can't work on.

My E30 is R134a converted and worked great until the clutch started acting up; will probably work great again if I ever get around to shimming it.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

A week ago I traded my Mazda 3 for this 2013 TDI. I sorta miss the handling feel of the 3 but this engine is pretty fantastic.

Also the 3 was automatic and this is not and I will never make that mistake again.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

xelpmoc posted:

A week ago I traded my Mazda 3 for this 2013 TDI. I sorta miss the handling feel of the 3 but this engine is pretty fantastic.

Also the 3 was automatic and this is not and I will never make that mistake again.

I test drove a Mazda 3 before I bought my TDI and the TDI felt way better to me. Like not even close better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

I know R12 is better, but I can't get it which means a trip to a mechanic for a marked up refrigerant that is expensive to start with. i don't like things I can't work on.

My E30 is R134a converted and worked great until the clutch started acting up; will probably work great again if I ever get around to shimming it.

You don't have eBay where you're from? $30-35 a can all day long.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

No they don't have ebay here.

DIESELS.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

fknlo posted:

I test drove a Mazda 3 before I bought my TDI and the TDI felt way better to me. Like not even close better.

The torque is really awesome and it makes it more fun to drive most of the time but I guess I just liked the 3's lighter steering and better feedback.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xelpmoc posted:

The torque is really awesome and it makes it more fun to drive most of the time but I guess I just liked the 3's lighter steering and better feedback.

The golf has electric power assist. It adjusts assist depending on speed. I really like it compared to traditional power steering. I went from a GLI that had the sport suspension to the TDI and thought about changing springs to get a bit stiffer ride, but once you get used to the way it handles, it really is almost perfect. It doesn't beat the poo poo out of you, is -just- tall enough to not scrape constantly and let you hoon around like an rear end in a top hat. My GLI at factory ride height was scraping everything. In the Golf I can barrel through intersections and parking lot entrances without dragging rear end.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

The golf has electric power assist. It adjusts assist depending on speed. I really like it compared to traditional power steering. I went from a GLI that had the sport suspension to the TDI and thought about changing springs to get a bit stiffer ride, but once you get used to the way it handles, it really is almost perfect. It doesn't beat the poo poo out of you, is -just- tall enough to not scrape constantly and let you hoon around like an rear end in a top hat. My GLI at factory ride height was scraping everything. In the Golf I can barrel through intersections and parking lot entrances without dragging rear end.

I want to do the driver gear springs at some point, but not really having to worry about that kind of stuff really is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lookit what I got...

• Locked thread