Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGirlArt
Mar 29, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Can you change succession law? Set up an elective and start revoking titles of everyone that disagrees. Sure, odds are you'll get crushed in the revolt, but it's better than a guaranteed game over.

It's possible but it would take a few years to last long enough. I'll see if I can make it the final few years and maybe just revoke every single vassal and see what happens.

I definitely can't assassinate my way out of this mess. I only have sisters, so the line of succession to get back to my line is through 6 or 7 nobles on various parts of the continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So I've started to read that gigantic tutorial on http://lparchive.org/. This is going to take a while. Can't wait to smash some skulls as Vikings though. :black101:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Hm. Is there any reason why adding only_independent = yes to a CB in the little top bit about what makes it basically valid wouldn't work to make it only apply to independent rulers?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

beedeebee posted:

Crusader Kings II: How many concubines should I have?

About that. How many can I have?
There seems to be an upper limit, because after a while of taking concubines all over Europe and Northern Africa, all of a sudden the option to take concubines are gone. Untill one of them dies or I set her aside.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
So I noticed that many of the lieges of the Scandinavian petty kingdoms and the starting Sons of Lodbrok viking host happened to be directly related. At that time were Danes, Swedes, and Norwegians culturally distinct from one another? Are Danes danish because they were a different people from Swedes all the way back through Migration period, or did a Norse family seed the different Scandinavian kingdoms which then evolved distinct cultures overtime?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dane here, Danes are supposed to descend from a Swedish tribe that was forced out a really long time ago. Most Danes dislike the theory though because gently caress Sweden am I right? :v:

Cultural differences cement over time. Danish, Swedish and Norwegian is easily distinguished by native speakers but we can also understand the others just fine without training if we try hard. I'd compare it to the USA and the United Kingdom in how they're culturally similar but still distinct.

Also I'm not at home right now, but is it possible to abduct anyone or is that only available to people in your own realm?

crm
Oct 24, 2004

I'm playing as Fairhair. I've created Norway. Another Norse dude has Sweden. I don't have a subjugate Sweden option.

wtf?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Are you pagan?

SpaceGirlArt
Mar 29, 2008

Datasmurf posted:

About that. How many can I have?
There seems to be an upper limit, because after a while of taking concubines all over Europe and Northern Africa, all of a sudden the option to take concubines are gone. Untill one of them dies or I set her aside.

I thought the limit was three.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

DJ Dizzy posted:

Are you pagan?

Of course I am.

I have another subjugation option for him, just not sweden.

crm fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 1, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Quick question... I'm playing without The Old Gods, and did the whole start-in-Ireland thing. But when I formed the kingdom, my succession defaulted to Gavelkind which is, of course, a pain. This despite my main holding being Primogeniture. Is it hardcoded that any new kingdom defaults to Gavelkind? I checked the LP and that doesn't seem to be the case -- he went straight to Primogeniture. Obviously getting to high crown authority can be a real pain, and requires at least three generations of monarchs to get hated in the process. Maybe my secondary duchy wasn't set to Primogeniture or something? Anyone know how to get it there right off the bat?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Schizotek posted:

If you don't mind me asking, did you get your title in reference to greek automatons?
Nah. It was a hyperintelligent telepathic toaster submitted as a joke for an RPG set in Republican Rome.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

crm posted:

Of course I am.

I have another subjugation option for him, just not sweden.

You can only have one subjugation war declared against you at a time. See if he's defending against one at the moment.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Kersch posted:

Man, I need a guide on how to pronounce Norse names with letters that I've never seen before.

Not sure if it's these letters, but here goes with three of the most common ones in the Scandinavian alphabet.

Æ / Ä formed from the letters "a" and "e".
Ø / Ö formed from the letters "o" and "e".
Å / Aa formed from the letters "a" and "a".

Here's a quick snip of how to pronounce it, from a Norwegian's point of view.

sarmhan posted:

Vassals being assholes is one of the 'features' of unreformed paganism- I had to put down a civil war every decade until I reformed.

I still have to put down civil wars (and don't get me started on revolts) around once every week, and I've been reformed for over 200 years!
drat this empire of Scandinavia, and drat my powerhungry warmongering. At least I got Hungary, France, Italy, Germany, half of Hispania, all of Scandinavia, Brittany, Poland, Baltics, most of Eastern Europe and parts of Russia in there.
Now to just conquer the muslims and wipe out all other religions than reformed Norse for good!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Gorelab posted:

Hm. Is there any reason why adding only_independent = yes to a CB in the little top bit about what makes it basically valid wouldn't work to make it only apply to independent rulers?
The trigger in question is just "independent = yes," but no, that should work fine. Might also be available to rebelling vassals then, too, though I don't think so.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torabi posted:

So I've started to read that gigantic tutorial on http://lparchive.org/. This is going to take a while. Can't wait to smash some skulls as Vikings though. :black101:

You are going to gleen barely anything useful out of this. The base game itself has changed, but also Vikings are so much different than Christian Kings.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

What would I have to edit in the game files to make a titular title apply de jure drift?

I just thought, I quite like the idea of playing a game where I sort of consolidate all the West Slavs buuuut I don't like the boundaries of a Wendish Empire. Rather I'd prefer if I collected all the titles under a Great Moravia and then let it become de jure territory of a big kingdom.

Want to give a christian Old Gods character a chance since at the moment the Norse are a bit too powerful to play while I find the Zoroastrians too much of a challenge.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Rejected Fate posted:

What would I have to edit in the game files to make a titular title apply de jure drift?
You shouldn't have to edit anything. Land can drift under titular titles in vanilla.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

You shouldn't have to edit anything. Land can drift under titular titles in vanilla.

Ahhh, I see the problem. It's a TRIBAL title. Which I did not even know was a different thing.

So, how would I convert it into a titular title instead?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Rejected Fate posted:

Ahhh, I see the problem. It's a TRIBAL title. Which I did not even know was a different thing.

So, how would I convert it into a titular title instead?
Well, you could delete tribe = yes from the entry in landed_titles.txt, I suppose. Though that might have other, undesired effects.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
The Basileus keeps sending the Ecumenical Patriarch to try and convert me. Why yes, I'd love another 250 gold. :allears:

What makes this even better is that Constantinople is my capital.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Well, you could delete tribe = yes from the entry in landed_titles.txt, I suppose. Though that might have other, undesired effects.

I think that's pretty much sorted it.

Now to beat the crap out of my heathen vassals!

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I just formed the Persian Empire, what's the best thing I can do to prepare for the Mongols? It's 975 right now.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nckdictator posted:

So, I just formed the Persian Empire, what's the best thing I can do to prepare for the Mongols? It's 975 right now.

Conquer the world.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just bought the republic and the norse units / portraits pack. I'm not sure if I should be :negative: or :toot:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Snatch Duster posted:

Conquer the world.

I'm not surprised you advise blobbing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nckdictator posted:

The Mongols first spawn with about 60K worth of horse cavalry. Since it's only 975, and you're already an empire, you've got more than enough time to consolidate and respond with your own levies of hundreds of thousands. They won't be too scary, don't worry. :)

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
It turns out that the starting Magyar ruler is a direct male-line descendent of Kubrat I, Khan of Old Great Bulgaria.

No wonder they blob so hard after taking Hungary. :v:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kersch posted:

Man, I need a guide on how to pronounce Norse names with letters that I've never seen before.

Það er í raun minnsta mál að bera fram hina ýmsu norrænu bókstafi sem hafa skotið upp kollinum í þessum aukapakka. Augljóslega er ö borið fram eins og í „Björk" og Þ er einfaldlega borið fram líkt og í „Þúsundþjalasmiður" og Ð er bara ð. Einnig vill ég taka fram að afi minn fór á honum rauð eitthvað suður á bæinn að kaupa bæði sykur og brauð sitt af hvoru tagi með ótal úrkynjuð maurildi þjótandi í stríðum straumum útum eldrauðar og þandar nasirnar og að nafli er lok fyrir ástand í alheimsvanda úti sem og gabríel.

Varðandi hin margrómaða tölvuleik Krossfara Konungar II: Hin fornu goð, sem þessi spjallþráður á víst að fjalla um, þá hefur mér tekist nokkuð vel að leggja undir mig Noreg og Jórvík sem hin sér íslenska Vofuvarga-ætt en Svíþjóð og Danmörk veita ansi harða samkeppni. Afkomendur Ívars Ragnarssonar ráða ríkjum í Skotlandi og eru nánustu bandamenn mínir. Það er hinsvegar ágætis skemmtun að leggjast í víking og höggva mann og annan í herðar niður.

börk börk börk.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 1, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Allyn posted:

Quick question... I'm playing without The Old Gods, and did the whole start-in-Ireland thing. But when I formed the kingdom, my succession defaulted to Gavelkind which is, of course, a pain. This despite my main holding being Primogeniture. Is it hardcoded that any new kingdom defaults to Gavelkind? I checked the LP and that doesn't seem to be the case -- he went straight to Primogeniture. Obviously getting to high crown authority can be a real pain, and requires at least three generations of monarchs to get hated in the process. Maybe my secondary duchy wasn't set to Primogeniture or something? Anyone know how to get it there right off the bat?
Every crown has a crown authority and succession type it defaults to. Ireland defaulted to primogeniture for me, but that was pre-Old Gods, so maybe it changed with the patch?

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
The faith of Rome is in its twilight.

The previous Pope sired a bastard daughter, who claims the papacy. Only the passing glory of the Italian conquest of the Bulgarian Empire holds the faith together.

The Sultan Sultanate leads an invasion of Italy, continuing into Bavaria - Following the Uyammid Sultanate's success in its series of invasions into a fractured France. The Italian Empire dissolves into petty states seeking only to survive.

England stands alone, the ruling House of Wessex bickers amongst itself, while Europe kneels to the hordes. The Sultan Sultanate just won its Bavaria invasion, and no doubt Germany will come next. Cathars begin to rise, and the English King is considering his options...

I am bloody loving this game, mad though it is.

(Also, I love the new "Adventuring!" thing that landless characters do. A member of my family decided "gently caress this" when I didn't give him any land, and went off to press a weak claim on East Francia...and won, becoming King of Germany)

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It looks like stealing women as a pagan and then trying to marry them off causes everyone to think that the woman is of your religion rather than her own. As a norse ruler I stole some catholic girl, then tried to marry her off to a catholic guy, but his ruler flat out refused because "some guy cannot marry an infidel" even though they're both catholics.

Looks like marriage religion check is being done on the player character rather than the person you're offering up. Can anyone else confirm?

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
What are the conditions for getting inbred?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Meanwhile in bizzaro Europe:

I can't wait to see the religious map in 200 years. Conversions are going on.

texside
May 31, 2013

Belasarius posted:

What are the conditions for getting inbred?

Well, when a brother and sister love each other very much...

It's a percentage chance when two characters are closely related; it's a 25% chance per parent that has it and a random chance to show up otherwise.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

How does the Holy Roman Empire form in the 800s start? Is there like anything to jump start it if someone gets most of the non-France parts of Charlemagne's empire?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I always feel a bit proud of my character's son when my current ruler is assassinated and as soon as I take over the heir I get the assassination successful messages. Way to be assertive, AI son.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's the best way to go about spreading my religion outside of my borders, if possible? I've never formed an empire as a non Christian ruler and I wanna spread the word of Odin.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Speaking of spreading the faith, is anyone else having trouble converting in your own demense? I mouse over my Seer's actions and see a 25% chance to convert a province, but as soon as I actually place them the chance drops to 7.3% or thereabouts. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
3 genius sons and a strong daughter have already burst from my loins.

Talk about Nordic superiority.

• Locked thread