Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Thoguh posted:

Is this another phone interview or face to face?

Keep in mind that they are interviewing you as much for how you will fit with their team as your technical skills. So don't be afraid to be talkative. If it is face to face they might take you around to meet the people you'd be working with. If one of them shows you around keep in mind that it part of the interview.

Another phone call interview.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

CCKeane posted:

If you can work in getting something on the manufacturing end, that is mad hands dirty. In the most literal sense. My hands are usually filthy because I get called to fix a machine when the maintenance guys get it up and working.

Also yeah, I'll agree with the GPA bit. I'll also say that a handful of years working has taught me more about engineering than my years of schooling. Namely that the answer is always to blame marketing.

i'm far too much of a delicate flower to be glared at by technicians and angrily pressured by engineering-end. also it would be the same life, just a different part of the building.

SeaBass posted:

- Maritime or petroleum engineering gigs do time on/time off

- No you don't, you're too spoiled as a technobureaucrat.

- Tru dat. Got my first job because of networking. No one has given a poo poo about my GPA, well, ever. If someone asked me now for my GPA I'd tell them to eat a bag of dicks and look at my resume and the people I've worked with.

I probably don't have a skillset for Oil in the field, unless they need someone to click the the status field of excel spreadsheet from "red" to "green".
oh well I'm just cubicle dreaming. I was thinking maybe if there was some non-profit general engineering, where I could be skirted off for a few months at a time then recharge back home for a few months. But that mainly seems to be volunteer based. oh well back to verification or metrics whatever

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'
Hey guys.

Would you all mind looking at my resume and telling me your impressions?

I have been applying for MechE, ChemE, and EnvE jobs for about six months now, and I feel that the discrepancy between my official degree title and experience is putting companies off. I have had one interview, and that's about it, so I'm starting to think maybe I should leave the biofuels stuff off my resume and try to seem more like an environmental engineer.

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012
FRONT LINE SOLDIER IN THE FIGHT FOR MEN'S RIGHTS

reddit 4 eva
Well hot drat, your resume makes mine look like poo poo. I honestly don't know how you havn't gotten a job right now..

You just gotta keep trying man. And follow up with companies if you haven't been doing that! One of the places I nearly got hired at, didn't because I got a better offering, didn't even look at my application until I contacted them a week or so later.

Right now is a bad time for engineering though, at least where I live, due to the recent sequester. Lots of government engineers have been laid off, and are now moving to the private sector, while the government jobs are still just not there. Give it time.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

bjobjoli posted:

Hey guys.

I have been applying for MechE, ChemE, and EnvE jobs for about six months now, and I feel that the discrepancy between my official degree title and experience is putting companies off. I have had one interview, and that's about it, so I'm starting to think maybe I should leave the biofuels stuff off my resume and try to seem more like an environmental engineer.

Stop trying to get in the front door, and start networking. I used to date an environmental engineer, and none of the common terms/buzzwords/etc she used all the time appear on your resume; I think you're getting robot filtered out. Network and that CV turns into a formality and a reference for the actual technical interviewer to use on you.

Hit up profs, alumni (if you're fraternity/sorority, poke your alums there), any honor societies, etc. What geographic area are you in?

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'

movax posted:

Stop trying to get in the front door, and start networking. I used to date an environmental engineer, and none of the common terms/buzzwords/etc she used all the time appear on your resume; I think you're getting robot filtered out. Network and that CV turns into a formality and a reference for the actual technical interviewer to use on you.

Hit up profs, alumni (if you're fraternity/sorority, poke your alums there), any honor societies, etc. What geographic area are you in?

I'm located in SoCal. I have poked around just a tiny bit with my professors, but most of them are suggesting academia with vaguely possibilities of being funded, so I think it's iffy. I've been avoiding headhunters, but they might be my last networking option. I am totally weak on the networking front, for sure.

A buddy of mine with an M.S. in environmental engineering (from Stanford!) also hasn't had any luck either. Hopefully it'll better soon since it's about new grad hiring season...

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Not sure if this is quite the right thread to ask in, but since I don't see any for engineering students specifically I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask.

I'm transferring to a UC in the fall for ChemE from a community college where I didn't really have any of the engineering specific courses, so I'm wondering what I can do over the summer before I start to make myself more appealing to potential employers for internships (Tried looking for some when I was at the college, but there were none in the way of engineering specific internships). Also, how does the GPA work for transfer students in looking for internships and jobs, since it appears that my GPA from the community college won't carry over to the UC? Will employers ask about my GPA from community college as well, or will I have to basically deal with the fact that one bad class would have a larger effect on my GPA than someone who had started there from the beginning?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

bjobjoli posted:

Hey guys.

What font is this? I like it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm pretty sure that's Garamond.

e: Checked PDF properties, it is.

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'

Cicero posted:

What font is this? I like it.

It's Adobe Garamond with some TeX fuckery to change the spacing ( \addfontfeature{LetterSpace=10.0} ). Makes it more readable in my opinion.

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

bjobjoli posted:

Hey guys.

To me, your resume looks a bit too broad and mismatched (for whatever that's worth from someone who did everything they could to avoid environmental). My opinions:
- Your degree says EnvE, but you come off as more of an ME to me. I've always thought of EnvE as more chemistry/biology/tank and reactor design/etc. Your resume seems more tilted towards fluid mechanics and heat transfer.
- Most of your "relevant courses" don't seem that relevant to EnvE (mostly just the ChemE modeling class).
- A lot of your software is also irrelevant to EnvE, and screams ME.
- In both your "Experience" and "Extracurricular" sections. your first bullet point is lab maintenance. Why are these listed before your research and accomplishments for each?

If I were you, I would make separate resumes for ME positions (emphasizing your coursework, software experience, machining experience, etc) and for EnvE positions (emphasizing your lab experience, research, work with algal biomass, etc).

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'

RogueLemming posted:

To me, your resume looks a bit too broad and mismatched (for whatever that's worth from someone who did everything they could to avoid environmental). My opinions:
- Your degree says EnvE, but you come off as more of an ME to me. I've always thought of EnvE as more chemistry/biology/tank and reactor design/etc. Your resume seems more tilted towards fluid mechanics and heat transfer.
- Most of your "relevant courses" don't seem that relevant to EnvE (mostly just the ChemE modeling class).
- A lot of your software is also irrelevant to EnvE, and screams ME.
- In both your "Experience" and "Extracurricular" sections. your first bullet point is lab maintenance. Why are these listed before your research and accomplishments for each?

If I were you, I would make separate resumes for ME positions (emphasizing your coursework, software experience, machining experience, etc) and for EnvE positions (emphasizing your lab experience, research, work with algal biomass, etc).

Thanks for the advice; I do have separate resumes for mechanical and environmental, but they mostly vary on the courses I list. I try to change my experience if possible, but it is what it is.

I came into university with a bunch of prerequisites finished, so I decided to major in environmental engineering while taking as many mech. engineering classes as possible because I thought it would make me more employable, but yeaaaah.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

How feasible are online Engineering programs? I'm looking to go for EE with a local university that has an online method. I don't quite yet understand how much is online and what the actual class/lab requirements are. I live far from the universities in the area in addition to a difficult work/commute schedule. I have the chance now for my employer to pay for most my education towards an engineering degree and want to take advantage of it. I likely won't be able to sell my home or move to better my location, though I may try this next year or so.

I'm starting at a community college in the Fall for most the pre-reqs as my previous college/university credit doesn't quite apply to for engineering so I'm practically starting over (already have an AAS but it was through Aircraft Maintenance). It'll likely be 2 years or so before I actually get all that done. I just hope the online EE program will actually be doable after the community college effort. I've looked in to other degrees related to my AAS and credits, but they'll require about the same amount of time as getting an BS in engineering. Getting an engineering degree ensures an upgrade at work with significant wage increase and more opportunity. I figure if I put in the time I might as well maximize the results. Besides, engineering was always my interest, especially EE stuff. Wish I'd figured this out in my early 20s rather than my mid 30s, though...

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
If it is for a specific position at work you should probably ask the person who is in charge of that position.

Personally, I would never hire an EE who didn't take any labs in meatspace, but maybe I am just being old fashioned.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Having previously received an online degree, I would never trust someone with a strictly online degree. It is far too easy to have someone else take a class for you or help you out on the tests. Even if you're flying solo, having Wolfram Alpha available will cripple you.

That being said, do not take any math class online. General eds should be fine but anything that requires actual comprehension should be done in person where you're interacting with the teacher in realtime. EE is almost as math intensive as a math degree so I'm not sure how well this would work out.

I might just be bitter about wasting all that time on a worthless online school though.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Thanks for the advice. That all makes sense. It's an actual University, ABET accredited, if that makes any difference. I'll keep looking for ideal options as I've a few years of pre-reqs to do first.

Here's what they describe:

quote:

In addition to our regular day program, the Electrical Engineering program is also offered in a flex (online/evening) format. (Please note: General Engineering is NOT offered in this format.) This program is designed for students taking one or two classes per quarter and takes four to seven years to complete. Concurrent online sessions are available for most EE courses. Many online courses will also require a late afternoon or evening laboratory session once per week. Occasionally some courses are offered in the evening. Please contact an engineering faculty advisor to arrange a potential course schedule.
Because the mathematics, physics, and many general education courses required by the EE major are not offered in the evening, students must complete the following before entering the EE flex program:
- An approved AA, AAS, BA or BS degree. Please see the Before Transferring section above for information on which programs are approved.
- All math and physics courses listed in the Before Transferring section above.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

KetTarma posted:

Having previously received an online degree, I would never trust someone with a strictly online degree. It is far too easy to have someone else take a class for you or help you out on the tests. Even if you're flying solo, having Wolfram Alpha available will cripple you.

That being said, do not take any math class online. General eds should be fine but anything that requires actual comprehension should be done in person where you're interacting with the teacher in realtime. EE is almost as math intensive as a math degree so I'm not sure how well this would work out.

I might just be bitter about wasting all that time on a worthless online school though.
I'm attending grad school right now through a distance learning program, and it's been fantastic; with the tools that are available, you still interact in real-time with the prof and other students and get almost all the great stuff you would from a classroom. A lot comes down to the quality and reputation of the school... A lovely for-profit school will be poo poo regardless of whether it's. In a classroom or online. A good school will be good online, too.

You can't do labs online, though, so an undergrad engineering student will still have to take some courses in person, I'd think.

RedReverend
Feb 15, 2003

I read this thread and feel that there aren't enough stories of encouragement. Here is mine.

I returned to school at the age of 27. I had spent most of my twenties working lovely jobs with nothing to show for it. I decided that I wanted to go back to school and become an Electrical Engineer. My wife said that she would support me even if it meant working overtime so that I would not have to balance working with school.

When I went back I felt old even though I was not the oldest student in many of my classes. I felt embarrassed when age came up. It was tough, I started at community college, got my engineering prereqs out of the way and transferred to University with a 3.06 gpa. Not horrible, but way below what I felt that I could do. Once I got to University, I doubled my efforts. It was like I gained a new outlook on everything. I had made it through calculus, physics, and many other classes that just years before had frightened me.

Now here I am, going into my senior year. I've got a 3.69 gpa, one point away from graduating magna cum laude. I have a coop position with a DOE contractor doing Electrical T&D power engineering at a govt superfund site with a great chance at being hired on full time when I graduate. I took enough classes that my senior year will only be at half-time and I can relax a bit.

It didn't hit me until I filled out my graduation application for next year. I had made it. It was all down hill from here. I look back to my first advising appointment when I found out just what I was in for. It seemed impossible at the time. Along the way I have had a lot of support from my amazing wife. Returning to school and developing a career in an industry that will always be in demand is one of the best choices that I have ever made and I have never regretted a day of it, although I wish that I had made the choice earlier.

I hope this doesn't sound self-fellating, I am not meaning it to be. I just hope that my story helps someone who is on the fence about going to school but is hesitant for any reason.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
I'm 28 and just about to finish my undergrad and am extremely proud also, so congrats and it doesn't sound self fellating or whatever at all :)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

RedReverend posted:

I read this thread and feel that there aren't enough stories of encouragement. Here is mine.

I returned to school at the age of 27. I had spent most of my twenties working lovely jobs with nothing to show for it. I decided that I wanted to go back to school and become an Electrical Engineer. My wife said that she would support me even if it meant working overtime so that I would not have to balance working with school.

When I went back I felt old even though I was not the oldest student in many of my classes. I felt embarrassed when age came up. It was tough, I started at community college, got my engineering prereqs out of the way and transferred to University with a 3.06 gpa. Not horrible, but way below what I felt that I could do. Once I got to University, I doubled my efforts. It was like I gained a new outlook on everything. I had made it through calculus, physics, and many other classes that just years before had frightened me.

Now here I am, going into my senior year. I've got a 3.69 gpa, one point away from graduating magna cum laude. I have a coop position with a DOE contractor doing Electrical T&D power engineering at a govt superfund site with a great chance at being hired on full time when I graduate. I took enough classes that my senior year will only be at half-time and I can relax a bit.

It didn't hit me until I filled out my graduation application for next year. I had made it. It was all down hill from here. I look back to my first advising appointment when I found out just what I was in for. It seemed impossible at the time. Along the way I have had a lot of support from my amazing wife. Returning to school and developing a career in an industry that will always be in demand is one of the best choices that I have ever made and I have never regretted a day of it, although I wish that I had made the choice earlier.

I hope this doesn't sound self-fellating, I am not meaning it to be. I just hope that my story helps someone who is on the fence about going to school but is hesitant for any reason.

How academically proficient were you before going back to college? I was a waster in high school and got terrible grades, but then I never tried either. I'm going back to college this year - basically hoping to emulate what you have done - and sometimes I worry that I'm biting off more than I can chew. I seem to be handling the maths alright so far, algebra and all that, but then I look at calculus and things like that and it seems quite intimidating.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Frankston posted:

How academically proficient were you before going back to college? I was a waster in high school and got terrible grades, but then I never tried either. I'm going back to college this year - basically hoping to emulate what you have done - and sometimes I worry that I'm biting off more than I can chew.

Just be sure to take the lower math courses if you need them. I ended up having to take a 5 credit precal class just because I did badly on the entrance exam but it really helped me get back into schooling. I had been out of high school for 6 years the first time I ever attended a college class, was also lazy as poo poo in high school(bottom half) and am getting my ME degree in 2 months. Once you get back into math and stuff, providing you actually take it seriously this time, it isn't too bad.

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'
To all the employed senior engineers in this thread,

I'm thinking about emailing the senior engineering head of the dept. at a company (that I interviewed for a few months back but wasn't called back) if he had any specific engineering problems I can do my own independent research/engineering project on while unemployed.

For example, I'm hoping he might reply, "Hey, sure. A specific problem in this industry right now is blah blah blah and you could take a crack at it. If you find a good solution (which you probably won't) feel free to reply so that I and my team of engineers can laugh at it."

I'm hoping I would get a specific problem along the lines of "we have issues damping vibrations in this part of this kind of machine" or "we need to reduce pressure drop in this typical duct geometry" and not general problems like "design a better rocket."

At the very least, I would have a better understanding of whatever field of engineering that problem applies to. At the very best, I would impress someone who may be a way in to a company.

Is this:
a) A good idea.
b) Annoying.
c) Who knows?

RedReverend
Feb 15, 2003

Frankston posted:

How academically proficient were you before going back to college? I was a waster in high school and got terrible grades, but then I never tried either. I'm going back to college this year - basically hoping to emulate what you have done - and sometimes I worry that I'm biting off more than I can chew.

I was your typical waste of potential. I could have gotten straight A's, but got through High School with B's and C's as I didn't push myself. I had to take high school math at CC as I had been out for so long I had forgotten how to do everything.

One thing I learned, you don't have to initially be strong at math, you can learn all of it. It might be a little more difficult for you, but you can do it. Even to this day, I don't consider myself a math whiz, I am good enough to succeed though. That's the key. You can learn to do well at math. It sounds cliche, but just do your homework and approach it with a willing, learning attitude.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

bjobjoli posted:

I'm thinking about emailing the senior engineering head of the dept. at a company (that I interviewed for a few months back but wasn't called back) if he had any specific engineering problems I can do my own independent research/engineering project on while unemployed.

For example, I'm hoping he might reply, "Hey, sure. A specific problem in this industry right now is blah blah blah and you could take a crack at it. If you find a good solution (which you probably won't) feel free to reply so that I and my team of engineers can laugh at it."

I'm hoping I would get a specific problem along the lines of "we have issues damping vibrations in this part of this kind of machine" or "we need to reduce pressure drop in this typical duct geometry" and not general problems like "design a better rocket."

At the very least, I would have a better understanding of whatever field of engineering that problem applies to. At the very best, I would impress someone who may be a way in to a company.

Is this:
a) A good idea.
b) Annoying.
c) Who knows?
I don't think it would hurt, and it might actually help. Don't be surprised or offended if you get polite declines, though.

Since you asked, here's a real-life engineering issue you can practice with: I need to determine the attenuation of conducted EMI through two parallel runs of 4x 500kcmil cable in grounded 4" rigid steel conduit (w/compression couplings). The answer should be in dB/100' for the frequency range of 5-50MHz. This is to help determine if an additional EMI filter is required.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

bjobjoli posted:

Is this:
a) A good idea.
b) Annoying.
c) Who knows?

It really couldn't hurt, just your pride.
How big is the company? How much experience do you have? If the company is a large corporate affair, the manager may not have authority to just sign you up as a contractor, even if he wants to. there may be many hoops to jump through in which he has to justify why someone internally couldnt just do those tasks.

Your idea may work better with smaller consulting engineering firms rather than big corporations. Though the downside is, they often have less money to throw around.

But seriously it couldnt hurt, and he/she (but probably he) may feel for ya and pass you on some other leads.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 5, 2013

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'

CatchrNdRy posted:

It really couldn't hurt, just your pride.
How big is the company? How much experience do you have? If the company is a large corporate affair, the manager may not have authority to just sign you up as a contractor, even if he wants to. there may be many hoops to jump through in which he has to justify why someone internally couldnt just do those tasks.

Your idea may work better with smaller consulting engineering firms rather than big corporations. Though the downside is, they often have less money to throw around.

But seriously it couldnt hurt, and he/she (but probably he) may feel for ya and pass you on some other leads.

It's a small (<50 person) company. I'm an entry-level scrub; I'm not exactly looking to be contracted or paid for it, I'm looking for for real industry problems I can wrap my meaty hands around rather than calculating the stresses on a fixed beam system and showing someone the colorful stress contours.

grover posted:

Since you asked, here's a real-life engineering issue you can practice with: I need to determine the attenuation of conducted EMI through two parallel runs of 4x 500kcmil cable in grounded 4" rigid steel conduit (w/compression couplings). The answer should be in dB/100' for the frequency range of 5-50MHz. This is to help determine if an additional EMI filter is required.

Thanks! This is the kind of thing that I'm looking for.

bjobjoli fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 5, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

bjobjoli posted:

Thanks! This is the kind of thing that I'm looking for.
If this was academia, you'd be knee-deep in Maxwell's equations... For the real-world, though, nobody ever does that- it's more a matter of finding the right table, and is largely an exercise in googling. You're not going to find a table for 4x500kcmil in conduit, and will have to use your knowledge and understanding of the principles involved to pick the most applicable table(s) for a reasonably accurate engineering estimate. I haven't had the time to follow this up properly; was planning on working on it tomorrow morning.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I just want to say: Do not wait until the night before your physics homework is due just because "oh, its only 8 problems how long could it take"

:emo:

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

grover posted:

If this was academia, you'd be knee-deep in Maxwell's equations...

You say this like it's a bad thing

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

CatchrNdRy posted:

Does anyone know what kind of jobs are like a few months on and a few months off type schedule?

Steam generator replacement projects on nuclear power plants (3 months) or 'normal' outages (1-2 months). Of course you will be traveling a lot and working a lot. (6-10's or 6-12's, maybe more.)

You can hit up multiple outages a year and take time off inbetween. The downside is you will more or less be a contractor for whichever company has the contract and while you may make good money, you'll need to worry about insurance coverage between jobs...

bjobjoli posted:

Is this:
a) A good idea.
b) Annoying.
c) Who knows?

It is a good idea, however I don't think it will get you any closer to employment. Research costs money. Or were you talking about trying to get them to pay you for it?

The company I work with, people do research papers on their own time as far as I'm aware. They may get rewarded for it, maybe not. I think they have a contest to see who gets paid to research into an issue further. But its not like we have laboratories or anything like that.

Does any one have recommendations for companies in the Portland or Seattle areas?
Right now I'm looking at maybe switching to Intel. My job is currently steady but I don't really care for the locale or the work. I rather avoid an hour's drive. (I like Portland's lay out and cheaper condos/houses but I like not having to pay a state tax...) Maybe I'll apply to some Army Corps of Engineer jobs for the hydro dams...

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 6, 2013

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
When a job posting asks for skills with SAP, is there a specific product they make used by engineers or does it just depend?

neibbo
Jul 18, 2003

Yes, mein Fuhrer... I mean.. Mr. President

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

When a job posting asks for skills with SAP, is there a specific product they make used by engineers or does it just depend?

It will probably depend on what type of job it is. At my office, engineers only use it for the manufacturing tools but other companies may force their engineers to use it for PLM or something.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Wait SAP is a computer program?

This whole time I thought it meant Special Access Programs/Top Secret security clearance.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

KetTarma posted:

Wait SAP is a computer program?

This whole time I thought it meant Special Access Programs/Top Secret security clearance.

Yeah SAP stuff is a big deal to a lot of companies, I know they were offering free SAP training to vets but I didn't really see one that engineers use....the list was really small

Thats literally all I know about it

neibbo posted:

It will probably depend on what type of job it is. At my office, engineers only use it for the manufacturing tools but other companies may force their engineers to use it for PLM or something.

Thank you, I'll do some more digging then

e; I've found a few for engineers(mech in particular): Material Management, Production Planning, and Plant Maintenance

mokhtar belmokhtar fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 7, 2013

neibbo
Jul 18, 2003

Yes, mein Fuhrer... I mean.. Mr. President
I wouldn't worry about it too much because learning SAP is really just an exercise in buttonology. From what I understand, the tools are often heavily customized to suit the needs, practices, and legacy systems of the company so any studying you do may not be that helpful.

As a ME I use it for creating process routers (defining and sequencing the manufacturing processes), dispositioning defective parts, and investigating manufacturing problems (e.g. finding out the lot # of a bad part and grabbing the suppliers test data for the lot). If it's a manufacturing type position it may be something like that that they're looking for.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!
As a sales engineer I live and breathe SAP and I loving hate it, at least our version/configuration of it. It "went live" 2.5 years ago and they still haven't gotten close to getting it working right. We've resorted to creating our own tools in Excel and Access to get the functionality we need.

If SAP is on the job listing, learn a little about what it does and what it can do for you and tell the interviewer/HR person that you're familiar with what it does and that you're a quick learner.

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009
Hi All,
3rd Year Mechanical Engineering student here, looking at going into some sort of Environmental Engineering. I loving love environmental stuff, so the passion is there, but what about the job opportunities? Can someone who knows their stuff give me some more information: what are your day to day activities, what did you study, how did you get where you are? I know 'Environmental Engineering' isn't a rigidly defined thing but I'm thinking along the lines of 'engineering work that helps/regulates/etc. the environment - energy, water, that sort of thing'

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Hey Engineering folk! I've come to a crossroads in my life. I have to make a decision soon whether I am going to take out the loans and sign the leases necessary to live and pursue the last 2 or so years of my Biomedical Engineering bachelor's degree (haven't taken any actual engineer classes yet btw). I would be coming out of school probably with ~40,000 dollars of debt (this might be a high estimate, it is possible that I find scholarships and such and come out with less-- also, my school has a fast track program to get a Master's at the same time as your bachelor's that I am going to look into) and I need to know if it is worth it. My concern is that apparently BME is not the most profitable of engineering disciplines -- I've heard people on both sides of the topic, and oddly it seems most people I meet in real life seem to think it is lucrative whereas most that I meet on the internet do not seem as enthused.

As I finish this degree, I would plan to get an internship under my belt, keep my GPA up, and possibly pursue a couple of side projects/interests to round myself out-- specifically, I want to achieve a fluency in German and keep my programming skills up to par (at one point I was going to be a computer science major), maybe manifesting in a couple of side projects, also I am probably going to join multiple relevant clubs/societies (IEEE and others). Given that and the fact that I have a pretty deep love for biology, what is your insight on this path/what potential paths I could take from here? I don't necessarily have delusions of having a ballin' rear end job out of college, but if I am going to be literally unemployed then I may be forced to reconsider.

I guess perhaps this is also an important question: What should I be doing and planning for if I am going to get into Grad school for BME? GPA? Internships?

In addition, I would also like to state that I have an interest in how engineering/science/mathematics can be used to measure what is going on in the human mind and how that could be used to improve mental and physical health, I am curious if that is an area of engineering that exists that I do not know the name of or if it even exists. Basically, where cognitive science and BME/Bioinformatics intersects, I would be very interested to work in that area.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Everything I have ever heard about BME from all of my research, reading this thread, etc says that the bare minimum for an entry level BME job is a master's degree.

Another problem I ran into was the fact that there's a good chance you'll have to move for your job as BME jobs seem to be clustered in certain areas.