Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lord Seo posted:

I'm not opposed to monarchy, as much as I am opposed to a foreign monarchy, what we should really do is get the Queen to hand over the Queen/King of Canada title to either a decent relative willing to become Canadian, or whichever Canuck she deems good enough. Basically replace the GG with a distinctly Canadian monarchy, that way it's (somewhat) less connected to Imperial British heritage, while still satisfying all the Canadians that insist we need the monarchy because it makes us different than the Americans.

Appoint a French-Canadian monarch and watch English Canada eat itself alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Imperator Justinium Trudeaux, First of His Name.

Ave!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd unironically be 100% down and supportive for Queen Michaëlle Jean

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, just like how English Canada went nuts when Francophone Laurier became the prime minister.

Except that didn't happen.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Sovy Kurosei posted:

Yeah, just like how English Canada went nuts when Francophone Laurier became the prime minister.

Are you for real.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

vyelkin posted:

The quickest way to end monarchism in Canada

Sovy Kurosei posted:

Ceciltron already called you out on your impoverished history, but the point isn't that English Canada would "go nuts", it's that it would kill all of the emotional affection that monarchists have for a very specific cultural tradition

Funkdreamer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 31, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Ave!

Would unironically rather have this than him as PM.

From each according to his ability and all that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ave!

The big upside to Trudeau as leader in 2015 is the possibility of Warhammer 40k style Trudeau fan art.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Man all I wanted was a silly picture of liz in the op :sigh:

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

THC posted:

Man all I wanted was a silly picture of liz in the op :sigh:

They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Oh, I get that. But if we rewrote the constitution to not require the monarch? This is where it was sticky, because he would reply about the Divine Power of God or whatever. This guy was hyperconservative and got really excited for Dominion Day, for instance.

I still think "The Dominion of Canada" is a pretty sweet name for a country, beats the poo poo out of the sort of 70's branding we're currently working with.

Or just throw more illustrations of hockey and oil derricks on there, whichever, nobody gives a gently caress *hops in a jacuzzi filled with crude oil, drinks gasoline from a flute made of Canadian diamonds, towels off with a Flames jersey*

That lady looking at a microscope looks too Asian!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

angerbot posted:

That lady looking at a microscope looks too Asian!

Quick, make her neutral ethnicity (white)!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

BGrifter posted:

The big upside to Trudeau as leader in 2015 is the possibility of Warhammer 40k style Trudeau fan art.

You have no idea how disappointed I am the two pretty-boy Primarchs do not wear red :smith:

Hey, bunnyofdoom, can you put forward a motion at the next Liberal Party meeting to change the colours to either purple or gold? I'd appreciate it to save myself some colour-masking time in photoshop a couple years down the road, thanks.

angerbot posted:

I still think "The Dominion of Canada" is a pretty sweet name for a country

I suspect our bureaucrats would have issues with that branding.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 1, 2013

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Quick, make her neutral ethnicity (white)!

Still can't believe people cared about that. Well, I can, but it makes me really sad.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Weyoun is like a slightly less slimey and more articulate alien version of Pierre Poulivere.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

You have no idea how disappointed I am the two pretty-boy Primarchs do not wear red :smith:

Hey, bunnyofdoom, can you put forward a motion at the next Liberal Party meeting to change the colours to either purple or gold? I'd appreciate it to save myself some colour-masking time in photoshop a couple years down the road, thanks.

Dude. Sanguinius! Described as the prettiest of the pretty boy Primarchs.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sanguinius wears gold. Only common Blood Angels wear red. Don't you know anything :eng101:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Gf says Twitter comments the Globe and Mail has made a whack of people redundant today. She mentioned a whack of names I didn't recognize.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Good. gently caress that paper and their loving paywall and margaret wente and leah mclaren.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
aw man they sacked Michael Kesterton.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

No Conservative has ever harmed another.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Cultural Imperial posted:

aw man they sacked Michael Kesterton.

What the gently caress... and Wente still has a job? The Globe really has gone down hill fast.
I picked up a copy a week or so ago and they had this entire editorial about how the rich shouldn't be taxed more because, get this, the laffer curve says it's a bad idea. The loving Laffer curve. :psyduck: Then it degenerated into Reagan tax cut fellatio.

I don't think I'll be making that mistake again.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Still can't believe people cared about that. Well, I can, but it makes me really sad.
Wait, really, what was this? :smith:

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Speaking of taxing the rich, the recent Munk debate on that topic is viewable for free this weekend. It was nothing amazing, but it's a good way to kill an hour.

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Mordecai posted:

Speaking of taxing the rich, the recent Munk debate on that topic is viewable for free this weekend. It was nothing amazing, but it's a good way to kill an hour.

Such luminaries of thought as Arthur Laffer and Newt 'moon bases' Gingrich.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

Wait, really, what was this? :smith:

Back in 2009, The Bank of Canada focusgrouped the designs for the new bank notes that were going to be introduced in 2012. The theme of the 100$ was "innovation" and showed an Asian woman looking through a microscope. Some racists objected, saying that she wasn't representative of Canada. When the note was reintroduced, the woman had been changed, to what the Bank of Canada claims is a "neutral ethnicity". Who has blond hair. They also issued a generic apology that I'm still not clear on whether it was apologizing for the change, or the inclusion of the Asian woman int he first place.

Link to covergae: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/08/20/asian-100-bill-carney_n_1810925.html

Edit: And to be clear, what makes me sad is both that a) people somehow thought that an Asian woman wasn't representative of Canada and that b) the BoC listened to them and changed the design.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 1, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mordecai posted:

Man, I'm bummed Robert Reich had to pull out of that one. That dude is great, and so is his son, Sam Reich.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PittTheElder posted:

Man, I'm bummed Robert Reich had to pull out of that one. That dude is great, and so is his son, Sam Reich.

Is there a 3rd Reich?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

priznat posted:

Is there a 3rd Reich?

Pitt being a fan of a 3rd Reich, if there were one, wouldn't surprise me :godwin:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm sorry, I had to. Compulsion!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Cordyceps Headache posted:

They also issued a generic apology that I'm still not clear on whether it was apologizing for the change, or the inclusion of the Asian woman int he first place.

Really?

Mark Carney posted:

In the development of our $100 bank note, efforts by the bank note designers to avoid depicting a specific individual resulted in an image that appears to represent only one ethnic group.

That was not the Bank's intention and I apologize to those who were offended - the Bank's handling of this issue did not meet the standards Canadians justifiably expect of us. We will be reviewing our design process in light of these events. Our bank notes belong to all Canadians, and the work we do at the Bank is for all Canadians.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Way to go, Mark Carney. The fact that you took the only ethnic minority ever to prominently feature on a Canadian banknote (pretty sure there was a black kid playing hockey on one of the old 5s or 10s though) off that banknote sure does mean you're representing all Canadians with that decision.

Man, white people are the worst.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Way to go, Mark Carney. The fact that you took the only ethnic minority ever to prominently feature on a Canadian banknote (pretty sure there was a black kid playing hockey on one of the old 5s or 10s though) off that banknote sure does mean you're representing all Canadians with that decision.

Man, white people are the worst.

I'm not arguing for or against this for the record because it was a nightmare to hear about when I was working in an office that had to deal with it.

But the irony is the worst loving part was the major reason that is was changed was the chatter from other minority ethnic stakeholder groups saying "gently caress those (their words not mine) people why do they get someone on Canadian money and not (insert random minority here) instead."

In the end it was ceded because, well, when everyone is yelling at you in politics it tends to happen.

Again, I don't agree, just a little perspective from someone who was in the office when the decision was made.

Pretty frustrating.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I thought the kerfuffle was over the fact that depicting an Asian person specifically as a scientist was stereotypical, or something.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

colonel_korn posted:

I thought the kerfuffle was over the fact that depicting an Asian person specifically as a scientist was stereotypical, or something.

That was the excuse. I've met a surprising amount of people who categorize "race" like D&D races. I actually had some goony engineering student explain this to me once. Whites are humans, and good at everything, but rarely great. Asians are like elves, intelligent, but frail. It kept going down hill from there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

NewtGoongrich posted:

That was the excuse. I've met a surprising amount of people who categorize "race" like D&D races. I actually had some goony engineering student explain this to me once. Whites are humans, and good at everything, but rarely great. Asians are like elves, intelligent, but frail. It kept going down hill from there.

Jesus. Let me guess, racist said black people were orcs right, and jews were dwarves? I've run into a guy like that before. He also claimed latinos were kobolds.....

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

My grandpa, rest his creepy soul, would have called metis tieflings :v:

"They're half-devils! :byodood:"

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I'm astounded that the off-topic chat continues to go down when headlines like this are roaring around.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/05/31/the-worst-month-in-the-history-of-canadian-politics/

Also, Aaron Wherry is right up there with other liberal luminaries with on-the-nose political reporting. He always summarizes so well.

Special Kei
May 13, 2009
I was thinking about voting reform and senate reform in Canada and it occurred to me that we could fix both problems in one go. Just change the senate from appointment to party lists with Senators selected so that the vote is proportional between the House and Senate. Now under the constitution each province gets a certain number of seats, so the party has a list for each province and territory (e.g. 24 for Ontario, 1 for Nunavut). I'm not 100% sure but this might avoid a constitutional change. Doing it this way will not change how people vote (should keep people happy), will not change the House, will make the Senate elected, and make elections fairly represented.

For example the 2011 election results. 308 seat House. 105 seat Senate. 413 total seats.

Party | Seats | Percentage
CP | 166 | 39.62%
NDP | 103 | 30.63%
LPC | 34 | 18.91%
BQ | 4 | 6.04%
GPC | 1 | 3.91%
Indie | 0 | 0.49%
Christian Heritage | 0.13%
Other | 0 | 0.27%

Results in the same House as it is but the Senate looks like.
Actual results depends on methods, so roughly:

Party | Seats Proportional - House | Senate Seats
CP | -2.37 | 0
NDP | 23.50 | 24
LPC | 44.10 | 44
BQ | 20.95 | 21
GPC | 15.15 | 15
Indie | 2.02 | N/A
Christian Heritage | 0.54 | 1
Other | 1.16 | 0

The resulting proportions are: (House + Senate Seats / 413)

Party | Seat Percentage | Vote Difference
CP | 40.19%
NDP | 30.75%
LPC | 18.89%
BQ | 6.05%
GPC | 3.87%
Indie | 0
Christian Heritage | 0.24%
Other | 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
That's an interesting idea. Part of "sober second thought" part of the Senate is still wholeheartedly embraced by its members, that because they are no longer subject to party and voter whims they can be better impartial adjudicators of legislation. I've watched three interviews now where Liberals and Conservatives have said this is still their purpose. However, I haven't seen much other come out of the Senate other than in camera sessions, where the debate is masked. We haven't a clue how these proceed normally, under a Liberal or Conservative chair. Is the debate rigourous? Does the ruling party limit debate like they do in the house? Are people actually sober?

Your system is less technocratic than the current system, but the problem with the Senate right now is a lack of accountability. I feel that party lists drawn up by party elders wouldn't do much to appease the elect-the-senate crowd, and unless the opacity of their current operations is handled, I doubt it would appease us policy wonks either.

• Locked thread