Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm in chapter 5, I think, of Chaos;head and I'm pretty sure Rimi is my anime wife alarm clock projected into reality by my delusions, I think it's too early to let me be the real killer so there's a perfect-blue type situation where I only think I'm the killer and someone is hiding in my illness's blind spot. The delusions are getting harder to see as just "things I was thinking of for a second there" as they're overlapping with things that definitely happened.

I don't know where it's going but the voice acting for the protagonist is fantastic. He absolutely sells awkward terrified hikikomori stuttering over himself or screaming in despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.
Reading Umineko 2

Is Kanon fighting a servant-goat with some kind of lazer blade? Sure, why not. :stare:

Also, Happy Halloween! That murder was really gruesome even when compared to the previous ones. It's interesting that different people dies in this timeline/universe.. I think it's too early to read something into that, but I might have to write down who dies in what order and when, just in case.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zaito posted:

Reading Umineko 2

Is Kanon fighting a servant-goat with some kind of lazer blade? Sure, why not. :stare:[/spoiler]

Well duh of course. I mean, how else would he?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Zaito posted:

Reading Umineko 2

Is Kanon fighting a servant-goat with some kind of lazer blade? Sure, why not. :stare:

Also, Happy Halloween! That murder was really gruesome even when compared to the previous ones. It's interesting that different people dies in this timeline/universe.. I think it's too early to read something into that, but I might have to write down who dies in what order and when, just in case.

Yeah you should. If you're like me and get curious later on and go to check the wiki you will be disappointed because first of all they only keep track for umineko chapter 1, secondly there are hella spoilers all over the drat place. Like blam right there. Right there. And again over there.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
So I'm in the middle of Watanagashi-hen for Higurashi, when does the relationship drama with the twins end? I'm loving the creepy disturbing moments of the series and want to get right back into them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you're referring to the more light-hearted first half, again Watanagashi suffers from similar pacing problems as Onikakushi. So you can reasonably expect the creepy stuff to fall into place at about the same time as it did for that.

E: It's hard to say when that drama will indeed "end" though anyway, since it's not like it's a story element that is going to be swept under the rug completely after Watanagashi.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 31, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I need help getting to a couple of routes in Steins;Gate, but the Steins;Gate tread is effectively dead. Is it ok to ask the questions here?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The S;G thread was for the anime really, so fire away.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've finished the 3 easy side paths (Suzuha, Faris, Ruka) since they all require pretty much the same "action". I have finished one other path, but I don't know whose path it is. In that path it follows some of the show: Okabe is forced to decide between Kurisu and Mayuri, but Kurisu tells him that she's willing to die for Mayuri's sake. Okabe doesn't want to, but he confesses his love for her and then deletes the mail on CERN's database and travels to the other world line. He's sad about it, but happy that everyone's alive. The end.

Even after looking at a walkthrough, I'm not sure how to get to either of the other 2 paths

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

I've finished the 3 easy side paths (Suzuha, Faris, Ruka) since they all require pretty much the same "action". I have finished one other path, but I don't know whose path it is. In that path it follows some of the show: Okabe is forced to decide between Kurisu and Mayuri, but Kurisu tells him that she's willing to die for Mayuri's sake. Okabe doesn't want to, but he confesses his love for her and then deletes the mail on CERN's database and travels to the other world line. He's sad about it, but happy that everyone's alive. The end.

Even after looking at a walkthrough, I'm not sure how to get to either of the other 2 paths

For the Mayuri ending: Avoid hitting Kurisu flags, focus on Mayuri, avoid the other three endings. Pretty simple, the Mayuri ending is real short though.

For the True ending: You have to hit pretty much every Kurisu flag. Don't ignore Kurisu's calls, make sure you answer all of her texts correctly, do NOT pick up your phone or check your messages when you're talking to her, and don't follow Nae when Kurisu asks you not to. If you're able to reply to Kurisu's last text message, you did everything correctly. Remember that you need to pick up the phone during the credits, so make sure you know what the phone button is mapped to on your keyboard.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

For the Mayuri ending: Avoid hitting Kurisu flags, focus on Mayuri, avoid the other three endings. Pretty simple, the Mayuri ending is real short though.

For the True ending: You have to hit pretty much every Kurisu flag. Don't ignore Kurisu's calls, make sure you answer all of her texts correctly, do NOT pick up your phone or check your messages when you're talking to her, and don't follow Nae when Kurisu asks you not to. If you're able to reply to Kurisu's last text message, you did everything correctly. Remember that you need to pick up the phone during the credits, so make sure you know what the phone button is mapped to on your keyboard.

So which ending did I hit that last time?
And do I really have to go through the entire vn again just to separate the two endings?

e: I forgot to mention, but I got the achievment "Paradox Meltdown" when I finished that last ending and that's what shows up in the clear list.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
I recently finished Steins;Gate too and ended up on Mayuri's ending. Skipping all the way to the end to see Kurisu's ending and the true end took me over an hour so if you want to avoid all that you can try using my save for Mayuri's ending (starts at beginning of chapter 10). Just extract it to Nitroplus\STEINS;GATE\1.200\ in the appdata folder, and it'll occupy the 18th save slot. I'm not sure if it will work, and you'll probably miss out on a few scenes throughout the game since you got the Kurisu ending.

Overall I thought the game was pretty good. I could've enjoyed the twists a lot more if I hadn't watched the anime first, but the small things left out by the adaptation made up for it. Other than batshit insane murderous future-Nae. That felt stupid, even if it answered the needless question of who kills Okabe in the future. The Suzuha, Faris, and Ruka endings' portrayals of Okabe's mental deterioration in the time loop, shock of losing basically his own identity, and the guilt of letting Mayuri die respectively were also much to my liking. Especially the Faris end was great, with the Divergence Meter ominously going down in value coupled with the eerieness of nobody knowing Okabe and the Microwave-o-phone disappearing all made the ending every unnerving, even if Okabe accepted it. Also, the phone call during credits caught me off-guard. I thought I had done something wrong while following the walkthrough, but the developers were clever bastards. Props to them. I think it's by no means a necessary read if you've watched the anime since it was so well made, but it's still a very good VN. I'll probably end up replaying it when the official English release comes out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I believe you have to get all five endings (Mayuri, Faris, Ruka, Suzuha, and Kurisu) to unlock the true ending. Three of those should be very easy to obtain as you play through the game, as they have obvious decision points where you're meant to save, finish the ending, and re-load and choose the other option. Mayuri and Kurisu do indeed depend upon choices made throughout the game, so yes you would theoretically have to "start over" to get each. However in practice this shouldn't be that big of a deal if you enable the functions to skip already read text.

The requirements for the true end and Kurisu's end are actually a bit different IIRC; I'm pretty sure the true end requires some specific decisions while the other end is a bit more lax (see here).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ottumon posted:

I recently finished Steins;Gate too and ended up on Mayuri's ending. Skipping all the way to the end to see Kurisu's ending and the true end took me over an hour so if you want to avoid all that you can try using my save for Mayuri's ending (starts at beginning of chapter 10). Just extract it to Nitroplus\STEINS;GATE\1.200\ in the appdata folder, and it'll occupy the 18th save slot. I'm not sure if it will work, and you'll probably miss out on a few scenes throughout the game since you got the Kurisu ending.

Overall I thought the game was pretty good. I could've enjoyed the twists a lot more if I hadn't watched the anime first, but the small things left out by the adaptation made up for it. Other than batshit insane murderous future-Nae. That felt stupid, even if it answered the needless question of who kills Okabe in the future. The Suzuha, Faris, and Ruka endings' portrayals of Okabe's mental deterioration in the time loop, shock of losing basically his own identity, and the guilt of letting Mayuri die respectively were also much to my liking. Especially the Faris end was great, with the Divergence Meter ominously going down in value coupled with the eerieness of nobody knowing Okabe and the Microwave-o-phone disappearing all made the ending every unnerving, even if Okabe accepted it. Also, the phone call during credits caught me off-guard. I thought I had done something wrong while following the walkthrough, but the developers were clever bastards. Props to them. I think it's by no means a necessary read if you've watched the anime since it was so well made, but it's still a very good VN. I'll probably end up replaying it when the official English release comes out.

Thanks for the save, but I think I'll actually go through it myself. I can just set it to auto skip already read sections and stop on phone cues so I can do something in the meantime.

Also, I'm assuming I get the Mayuri ending since kurisu is dead at the end of it since Okabe switched world lines, but it would be great if someone could confirm that. I restarted from chapter 4 on that asumption to get to the Kurisu/True endings.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

Thanks for the save, but I think I'll actually go through it myself. I can just set it to auto skip already read sections and stop on phone cues so I can do something in the meantime.

Also, I'm assuming I get the Mayuri ending since kurisu is dead at the end of it since Okabe switched world lines, but it would be great if someone could confirm that. I restarted from chapter 4 on that asumption to get to the Kurisu/True endings.
Kurisu dies in both her and Mayuri's endings. The exception of course is if in Kurisu's route you continue on to the true end. Mayuri's route is basically the same as Kurisu's, except Okabe doesn't fall for Kurisu and he and Mayuri are supposedly dating by the very end.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Kurisu dies in both her and Mayuri's endings. The exception of course is if in Kurisu's route you continue on to the true end. Mayuri's route is basically the same as Kurisu's, except Okabe doesn't fall for Kurisu and he and Mayuri are supposedly dating by the very end.

poo poo, so I did get Kurisu's ending that time. :bang: But at least it properly set up the True ending for me.
Time to go back and restart to do Mayuri's route...

Does anyone know if there are a particular number of Kurisu flags or very specific ones that determine whether you get Mayuri or Kurisu's route?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It should be fairly easy to get Mayuri's ending, you just ignore Kurisu. In fact getting both endings are quire routine. It's setting up the true end that's a bit difficult. But regardless, the exact choices needed for everything are laid out in this walkthrough.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

It should be fairly easy to get Mayuri's ending, you just ignore Kurisu. In fact getting both endings are quire routine. It's setting up the true end that's a bit difficult. But regardless, the exact choices needed for everything are laid out in this walkthrough.

Yea that's the one I followed. I'm actually going through the true ending right now. I guess getting to Mayuri's path requires doing the reverse on all of the Kurisu flags.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
So I'm playing Rewrite. Going through it blind, I went through Chihaya and Lucia's routes first. So far, Chihaya's route, true to everyone else's complaints, was pretty much a weaker version of Unlimited Blade Works, complete with the flaws that UBW had. Chihaya is pretty much a non-character in her own route which instead focuses entirely on Sakuya. I mean, I liked Sakuya in the route, but he just doesn't have Archer's depth, so the entire thing, while certainly entertaining, leaves a poor taste in my mouth. As for Lucia's route, I felt a bit cheated by the ghost story aspect, the unreliable narrator was pretty unnecessary and wasn't so much misleading as outright lying to the reader. It never feels properly explained why there's an unreliable narrator in the first place, so the entire thing comes off as a bit lazy. The rest of the route is redeemed by some considerably stronger writing, especially in regards to the romance which was pretty drat ::3: and while the climax wasn't quite what I was hoping for, it was still pretty good. All in all, I thought Lucia's route was considerably stronger than Chihaya's was.

Anyway, now I have three more routes to go through before I unlock Luna and Terra. I hear that Akane's route is by far the best but also should be saved for last, is that advice worth listening to? So far the VN is pretty good but feels kind of lacking in depth.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sinner Sandwich posted:

So I'm playing Rewrite. Going through it blind, I went through Chihaya and Lucia's routes first. So far, Chihaya's route, true to everyone else's complaints, was pretty much a weaker version of Unlimited Blade Works, complete with the flaws that UBW had. Chihaya is pretty much a non-character in her own route which instead focuses entirely on Sakuya. I mean, I liked Sakuya in the route, but he just doesn't have Archer's depth, so the entire thing, while certainly entertaining, leaves a poor taste in my mouth. As for Lucia's route, I felt a bit cheated by the ghost story aspect, the unreliable narrator was pretty unnecessary and wasn't so much misleading as outright lying to the reader. It never feels properly explained why there's an unreliable narrator in the first place, so the entire thing comes off as a bit lazy. The rest of the route is redeemed by some considerably stronger writing, especially in regards to the romance which was pretty drat ::3: and while the climax wasn't quite what I was hoping for, it was still pretty good. All in all, I thought Lucia's route was considerably stronger than Chihaya's was.

Anyway, now I have three more routes to go through before I unlock Luna and Terra. I hear that Akane's route is by far the best but also should be saved for last, is that advice worth listening to? So far the VN is pretty good but feels kind of lacking in depth.

You had basically the same reactions to the Chihaya and Lucia routes that I did.

You should probably do the rest in the order Kotori, Shizuru, Akane. Kotori is decent (although it probably works best if read first), Shizuru is bad, and Akane is good (and builds off the other four).

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Silver2195 posted:

You had basically the same reactions to the Chihaya and Lucia routes that I did.

You should probably do the rest in the order Kotori, Shizuru, Akane. Kotori is decent (although it probably works best if read first), Shizuru is bad, and Akane is good (and builds off the other four).

This guy pretty much has it right. Kotori's route is 100% meant to be done first and some stuff will definitely feel weird since it wasn't. Shizuru's pretty bad, but Akane's is excellent. Moon and Terra are pretty difficult to gauge as they're quite different from the rest of the VN.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

I believe you have to get all five endings (Mayuri, Faris, Ruka, Suzuha, and Kurisu) to unlock the true ending. Three of those should be very easy to obtain as you play through the game, as they have obvious decision points where you're meant to save, finish the ending, and re-load and choose the other option. Mayuri and Kurisu do indeed depend upon choices made throughout the game, so yes you would theoretically have to "start over" to get each. However in practice this shouldn't be that big of a deal if you enable the functions to skip already read text.

This is absolutely not true. Likely he missed one or more Kurisu flags, as there are a lot of them.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Chickenfrogman posted:

This guy pretty much has it right. Kotori's route is 100% meant to be done first and some stuff will definitely feel weird since it wasn't. Shizuru's pretty bad, but Akane's is excellent. Moon and Terra are pretty difficult to gauge as they're quite different from the rest of the VN.
I'm not quite sure about that. Some of the information about the key and the search for the key that was given in Lucia's route might have improve Kotori's route where you pretty much know very little about the key and it's importance and the factions fighting over the key.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I finished up Kashiwara's route in Kira Kira. It was decent, but not as good as Chie-nee's. I don't really know how I feel about the way their relationship progresses. I mean, she confesses to him, then it feels like not much of anything happens while they're in Okinawa. They have that afternoon playing together, and there's the whole thing in the forest on the "deserted island", but that didn't really feel like all that much. It feels like a one sided relationship far longer than the story would have you believe. As an aside, the reveal with that scary guy was funny, but predictable, and nowhere near as good as the truck scene in the cult's camp in Chie-nee's route.

After Shikanosuke makes his way to the mansion, I liked the heart to heart the two of them had in Kashiwara's father's room. When he told her about what happened to his father, that's when it started feeling like the feelings were mutual between them.

So much of that third part was focusing on Kashiwara's grandfather though. So much so that I think I was empathizing with him more than Kashiwara herself.

I've never been good at giving things ratings, so I'll just say that, while I don't regret the time spent reading it, I wouldn't go back to revisit it.

In the mean time, I've moved onto Kirari's route. :psyduck: The guitar spoke to her in her dreams and taught her how to play? I can't accept that. There has to be a spirit or something in the guitar, and it possessed her. That would explain her dead eyes as she wandered off from the youth hostel at night. I just really don't like how out of left field "Guitar-kun" is, especially given that the other two routes are pretty grounded when it comes to things like that.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
Finished Watanagashi-hen from Higurashi last night, the entire last part starting with the Sonozaki secret torture lair is just pure :stare:. Also I suspected that Keiichi was going to die by the end as he probably will for every question arc but that last scene took me by surprise. Poor Shion too.

Speculation: The Mion who appeared near the end (not the hallucinated one who can apparently cause real damage) is probably also a time traveler/looper like Rika is, just to throw in another curveball. And this Mion tries to keep killing Keiichii so the village's curse can never be lifted while Rika tries to prevent it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Okay I thought him knowing "the secret" of higurashi wouldn't affect anything but it's giving him goofy rear end ideas to leap to first when obvious ones now feel too basic for him to even consider.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Okay I thought him knowing "the secret" of higurashi wouldn't affect anything but it's giving him goofy rear end ideas to leap to first when obvious ones now feel too basic for him to even consider.

If the obvious one is Shion pretending to be Mion that would feel a little bit too obvious for me. I'm just having fun and I'm looking forward to my expectations to be completely twisted around.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Haha I just mean knowing the words time warp caused your first guess about anything going weird to be also time warp? I didn't mean to cast value judgments as to whether or not also time warp is the correct answer just that it was where you jumped to first instead of taking baby crazy steps.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I just finished Chaos;head. It seemed really disjointed at the end. The cop and the nurse had literally no motive given for their actions but they're gone now so I guess it doesn't matter? I'm currently following this walkthrough for the true-ending hoping that it will at some point before the credits show me something new. It is breaking the skip function in weird places and I don't know why. For instance even though literally every sentence was one I had read before it wouldn't allow me to skip Rimi's introduction, the real one, when she's not covered in blood. I don't know why.

Other than that I thought it was a cool concept and enjoyed the presentation. It was a very difficult protagonist to sympathize with, though. Empathize. I'm not sure which I mean, probably both.

e: Things I just realized never got resolved: e: nevermind every single one was covered just now and holy poo poo that was brutal. I had to work so hard to get that final ending and it is just brutal. I get to know the answers and then my heart is killed, the world is doomed, and I have to be put down in a mercy killing because I can't even blink. Goddamn. Goddamn it. I was told ignorance is never preferable to the truth and then the truth ending is this. No cell phone call during the credits this doesn't get fixed. Nope. Nope it's over.

I've never had to work to get the worst possible ending. I wish the walkthrough gave me a heads up I was looking for misery here.

Also I mistakenly thought Chaos;head was released after Steins;gate. I'm not sure why.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 3, 2013

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
So I've started playing Ever17 for the first time and I don't have much knowledge of it other than it's some sort of huge mindwrecker near the end. A couple of semi-ordered notes:

-I'm immediately suspicious of the 'narrator'. It might be because I'm more used to visual novels being told from the first person, but it was something I noticed right off the bat.
-That's...not exactly the intro I was expecting, I guess. German names everywhere, too?
-17 minutes inside the compression chamber? I don't know if 17 is gonna be a reoccurring theme or not.
-'YOU'? Is it meant to be like the english You, or just a name? Some potential there maybe.
-I listened to the joke. Dreadful.
-Was that a sudden perspective shift with Takeshi? Like, did I switch from Kid to Takeshi mid-sentence? What.
-Tanuki Lemur is a dick (but so is Takeshi) and he totally punched me.

I think stopping at the first choice that changes who you play as seems like a good idea for the night, but man am I already incredibly confused. Who is Kid? Why does he have no memory? Is You going to be an actual thing? Will we ever see the Tanuki Lemur costume again?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ever17 has two narrators, Takeshi and The Kid. They each have two routes with the final route being narrated by both of them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Non-spoilery answers to your questions.

-The controlling company is a japanese/german corporation, so they went for german names.
-You is a shortened form of said person's name. It's extremely long and they don't particularly care for it, so they shorten it. The fact that it's an english pun is a bonus.
-The joke is indeed terrible.
-The prologue is supposed to be somewhat confusing as it switches between perspectives, but you'll get a choice reasonably soon that locks who you follow for the rest of that playthrough.
-The friendly tanuki will indeed appear again.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
While this is not really a Dating Sim thread, I thought this would be appropriate to post here.

A Venture Brothers parody dating sim.
For some reason, this is a real thing that will soon exist.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Explains why it took so loving long for the new season to come out.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So this is a few weeks old at this point but I just noticed that the Altered Fable translation is still trucking along and they released another partial patch but I don't see where to get it, anyone have a link?

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Altered Fable Partial Patch 2 65% Forgot all about this since I'm just waiting for the final.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm 7 chapters into Chaos;Head and I just now noticed the red trigger for delusions :downs:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cake Attack posted:

I'm 7 chapters into Chaos;Head and I just now noticed the red trigger for delusions :downs:

That means you've probably missed the best one.

"Oh, that's right. I poisoned that cola. I watch my little sister claw at her neck as she slowly dies."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

That means you've probably missed the best one.

"Oh, that's right. I poisoned that cola. I watch my little sister claw at her neck as she slowly dies."

Yup, missed that. I honestly was kinda disappointed in the delusion system until I noticed my stupidity, the majority of delusions were basically Takumi imagining life were a dating sim, which gets stale fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Also playing Chaos;Head and I'm picking all of the green delusions for this preliminary read-through.

And I've noticed an unfortunate pattern. The green delusions are all Taku's "best case scenario" delusions where all bitches want his dick, isn't it? That's what they've been for the most part so far. From that assumption, I'm guessing that the red delusions are "worst case scenario" delusions where poo poo just goes wrong and he gets mutilated by said bitches in some way.

• Locked thread