Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Since this is the art thread it seems, I have a question. Isn't the problem with the older books coloring , such as Batman Year One etc.. that they are unable to print those colors like that again or something to that effect. Like it's physically impossible to get that combination? Cause I have original Batman Year One and I have a digital copy and a trade of it but the colors on all three are completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Can we all agree that the clothes-as-title by Samnee is pretty drat amazing?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I saw that browsing Comixology today and loved it. Manapul does that on Flash and he's pretty awesome at it too.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!
That is unbelievably clever.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I can't read the clothes. What do they say?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DAREDEVIL

Just read the issue five minutes ago, and didn't catch that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

At first I was trying to figure out if that was a Planeteer logo on the shirt to the left.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

At first I was trying to figure out if that was a Planeteer logo on the shirt to the left.
It's the Sunsphere!

not really but I want it to be

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

redbackground posted:

It's the Sunsphere!

not really but I want it to be

It's the WIG-sphere now!

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Tradd Moore's work on "Luther Strode" from image is really good, but applying his style to existing characters somehow doesn't work very well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

redbackground posted:

That kicks rear end.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

redbackground posted:

That is so god drat subtle I didn't see it until today finally. Neat!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Art by Jackson Guice from Doctor Strange #21, September 1990.

Guice's art is just all over the place during this run, and I'm generally putting up with it, but this stopped me dead in my tracks: this just has to be super-duper heavily photo-referenced (unflatteringly so, too). I could swear I've seen this face before, and I know Guice got stung for using a picture of Amy Grant on the cover of an earlier issue of Doctor Strange, so...?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Guice's strongest part of his Action Comics run was always his character faces and expressions. I wonder if he was doing it then as well.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Some sort of proto-Land?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spaceman Bill posted:

Some sort of proto-Land?

A good comparison but be fair, Leifeld was tracing other's work before anyone knew who Greg Land was. And before Greg Land became Greg Land he was tracing full panels from other artists. Scott McDaniel wanted to kill him for years.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Guice is a really interesting artist these days. I'm not sure when I started paying attention to him again but he's clearly been thinking about how to tell a story and how the reader's eyes move across the page - he doesn't always have the skill to land his tricks but his work on Winter Soldier in particular was pretty baller. He's a bit like modern Deodato but he's got a way better understanding of comics.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Adam Strange posted:

Guice is a really interesting artist these days. I'm not sure when I started paying attention to him again but he's clearly been thinking about how to tell a story and how the reader's eyes move across the page - he doesn't always have the skill to land his tricks but his work on Winter Soldier in particular was pretty baller. He's a bit like modern Deodato but he's got a way better understanding of comics.
Yeah, and that's the reason I almost didn't post it: it feels a little unfair to bring up art that's literally twenty years old when the artist is still working and demonstrably better at his craft. The weird thing is that, around the time that this was published, I thought Jackson Guice was amazing based entirely on the pair of Nick Fury issues he worked on that I owned. And his work on covers back in the early 90s (Amy Grant notwithstanding) is just far and away better than his interiors, no matter who seemed to be inking him (even himself), so I don't know what was going on there, apart from a heavy workload and/or lazy editorial and/or whatever.

But yeah, I've just read through a period during which all of Strange's lady-friends hung around the Sanctum in ruffly swimsuits and lingerie, striking winsome catalog-model poses at the fourth wall, and it was distracting as hell.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

(Drawing Cutting Edge Comics by Christopher Hart)

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

Hahahaha I love that dude's bizarre and inexplicably successful carrier of hackery.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Hahahaha I love that dude's bizarre and inexplicably successful carrier of hackery.

Any kid who likes drawing eventually gets a Christopher Hart how-to book. Always.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Alhazred posted:

themalegaze.jpg

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Friends Are Evil posted:

themalegaze.jpg

"Don't mind me I'm just sitting here casually squeezing my tits together"

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Alhazred posted:

This thing is a joke, right?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pick any 3 random female character designs from most comic books in the last 50 years and you tell me.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Does anybody have any scans from "The Wake"? Sean Phillips is on the art and holy poo poo is it good.

It's also very well colored, pretty much the opposite of the garish gradients this thread was talking about earlier.

[edit] Guh, I meant Sean Murphy, sorry about that. Still a fantastically well-drawn book.

Heresiarch fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 1, 2013

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pastry of the Year posted:

Art by Jackson Guice from Doctor Strange #21, September 1990.

Guice's art is just all over the place during this run, and I'm generally putting up with it, but this stopped me dead in my tracks: this just has to be super-duper heavily photo-referenced (unflatteringly so, too). I could swear I've seen this face before, and I know Guice got stung for using a picture of Amy Grant on the cover of an earlier issue of Doctor Strange, so...?

If this wasn't 1990 I would have fully bet on this being Penelope Cruz.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

Does anybody have any scans from "The Wake"? Sean Phillips is on the art and holy poo poo is it good.

It's also very well colored, pretty much the opposite of the garish gradients this thread was talking about earlier.

Here are some caps I took from Comixology.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 1, 2013

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

This owns.

http://francavillarts.tumblr.com/post/51449825671/i-have-been-tinkering-recently-with-a

Batman 1972 by Franceso Francavilla

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Hahaha I'm loving Serpico Jim Gordon.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

mind the walrus posted:

Pick any 3 random female character designs from most comic books in the last 50 years and you tell me.

It just seemed so on the nose that I couldn't imagine someone writing it seriously. I guess I still haven't lowered by expectations enough.

Is The Wake good beyond being amazing to look at, because if it is I absolutely need to get it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's okay. Just set-up so far. Not too much to go on.
It's written by Scott Snyder if that gets you interested.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Wake is drawn by Sean Murphy (Joe the Barbarian, Batman Black Mirror), not by Sean Phillips (Criminal, Fatale dude), know your Seans! :v:

for content - something screams and dies inside me when I see another complaint about how much Howard Chaykin sucks - that started back when his diehard fans Bendis and Fraction invited him to draw some guest-star issues on their Marvel comics. Modern coloring fucks his art up horribly, and, to be honest, he has not upped his game, but he deserves way more credit. Some amazing vintage Chaykin (with Bruzenak lettering on that Shadow page):

(that Star Wars poster is the first thing about the movie the world saw back in the 1976)

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
So what happened? Skills declined with age? Got lazy? Doesn't care? Because his current stuff is almost cubist with the proportions.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The art in Green Lantern Corps 18 (ChrisCross) was truly horrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know what happened because he used to be amazing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lots of artists decline with age. See: Frank Miller, Mark Silvestri, etc.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Is that "How to Draw" the real deal? If it is, I'm going to share it with an activist friend of mine and share a good groan about it. :haw:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mizuti posted:

Is that "How to Draw" the real deal?

Yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Alhazred posted:

This dude's art is terrible.