Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rasczak posted:

Dez Bryant

Cowboys castoff obsession (hello Marc Columbo)

Left Cowboys front office for a "promotion"

E: lol Jim Harbaugh

Mediocre at best at drafting

Probably somehow responsible for Brandon Marshall going crazy
Brandon Marshall was already crazy. I guess your argument is that he made him more crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Yes let's go with that.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rasczak posted:

Dez Bryant

Cowboys castoff obsession (hello Marc Columbo)

Left Cowboys front office for a "promotion"

E: lol Jim Harbaugh

Mediocre at best at drafting

Probably somehow responsible for Brandon Marshall going crazy

who cares

oh god we started a mediocre RT for one year when we didn't have any RT's

oh god he left to sit under Parcells for a couple of years and then take over as GM somebody lock up this war criminal

ok that was bad, but Stephen Ross took the blame

we'll see

no

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

oh god he left to sit under Parcells for a couple of years and then take over as GM somebody lock up this war criminal

The NFL has employment rules in place for a reason and front office personnel shouldn't be able to just flaunt them on a whim in order to pursue potential promotions. Here's another bullet point for ya:

* Jeff Ireland is a football anarchist

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rasczak posted:

The NFL has employment rules in place for a reason and front office personnel shouldn't be able to just flaunt them on a whim in order to pursue potential promotions. Here's another bullet point for ya:

That's awesome though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rasczak posted:

But it was a promotion. He went from VP of scouting for Dallas, to GM for the Miami Dolphins. You can't say it isn't a promotion because he didn't have control over personnel. He still had all kinds of new responsibilities, more direct reports, negotiating contracts, etc. It's just that Parcells had final say in all thing personnel.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Was Ireland in charge for the Mike "too hip hop" Tomlin decision?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DOOP posted:

Was Ireland in charge for the Mike "too hip hop" Tomlin decision?

Nope

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The Dolphins hiring Tomlin instead of Cam "The Camera" Cameron, that's an alternate universe I wouldn't mind spending time in.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
If you hate him so much Rasczak how come your so mad he left. how come yor mad

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rap posted:

Jeff Ireland is his gf irl

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I'm mad my gf left, but I was also mad when she was with me.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Rap posted:

I'm mad my gf left, but I was also mad when she was with me.

Dude Im right here I can read your posts

edit: answer the phone tough guy

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Rap posted:

If Jeffy doesn't want to love me anymore then gently caress him

Oh god I'm so conflicted

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Nately posted:

Sports writers have to cover these guys but they also get a little starstruck, so you may notice that when a player (like Cam Newton) is abrupt or rude with them, they react with the fury of a teenager turned down by her crush. I think Cam gets a hard time because he doesn't seem to humour these guys and it drives them nuts.

I think most of Cam's hard time is from snubbing Peter King at OTAs after King took a quote out of context and basically preemptively ruined his reputation (the star and icon thing). King showed up at unofficial workouts during the lockout and Cam wouldn't grant him a long interview and King got angry and cried about it in his weekly coffee and beer review piece. Peter King (somehow) is a guy everyone respects so this lead to a 90 way pile on from which Cam has yet to recover.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
King got mad a RG3 for doing the same deal. King showed up on a Tuesday and Robert told him he only speaks to the media on Fridays.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Pro Football Weekley is shuttering its doors

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/05/31/pro-football-weekly-says-goodbye

No more race-baiting pieces from Nolan Nawrocki :saddowns:

midwat
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

Pro Football Weekley is shuttering its doors

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/05/31/pro-football-weekly-says-goodbye

No more race-baiting pieces from Nolan Nawrocki :saddowns:

Misread that as "Pro Football Talk." Was ever-so-briefly happy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

midwat posted:

Misread that as "Pro Football Talk." Was ever-so-briefly happy.

I made the same mistake.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.
Too bad SI hasn't figured out that they could get rid of him, hire someone for much less than they're paying him, and get roughly the same number of clicks because the only reason people are reading it is because they're bored as hell at work.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
Proof that Yahoo sports writers are hacks, #56546:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--raiders-owner-mark-davis-puts-gm-staff-on-notice-with-firing-of-pr-head-014553646.html

quote:

For one thing, whining about the salary cap is unbecoming and, in this case, a bit disingenuous. Yes, McKenzie inherited somewhat of a mess, but plenty of other men in his position encounter similar challenges and find creative ways to address such issues while remaining competitive.

Yeah, 50 million in dead cap money and being incredibly short on draft picks is more than somewhat of a mess.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Curiousity got the better of me.

Chris Kluwe's MMQB

To be fair, it was only twice as bad as I expected it to be.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Hey, thread, have some odious garbage: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9441388/nfl-new-england-patriots-stained-aaron-hernandez-saga

ESPN posted:

Team owner Robert Kraft is to blame. So is coach Bill Belichick. They made the choice to gamble on Hernandez, and while they could not have foreseen that one day their star tight end would be charged with murder as well as five gun-related offenses, they knew he had issues, including reported multiple failed drug tests while Hernandez was at Florida.

"For weed" should be branded on the forehead of anyone who writes about Hernandez's "multiple failed drug tests."

ESP-loving-N posted:

Given what Hernandez now is accused of in a story that gets more grisly by the day, New England tarnished its brand by choosing Hernandez twice, and it will take more than a jersey exchange to wipe that tarnish away. It will take time. And better choices. And fewer risks.

Explain to me, without using any ex post facto reasoning, how signing (and re-signing) Hernandez was a bad choice, or a risk.

The whole article is sub-Bleacher Report level. It is literally the hackiest column a human being could write about the Aaron Hernandez saga.

midwat fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 2, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

midwat posted:

"For weed" should be branded on the forehead of anyone who writes about Hernandez's "multiple failed drug tests."

I don't know how true this is but I'd think the type of people who feel like that was some precursor to murder probably know it was pot and don't care at all. They'd still make a bigger deal out of it if it was heroin or something, but to them it's just different flavors of the same kind of wrong.

That or they're just writing terrible things to make people talk. Since I'm not going to click that link who wrote it by the way?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 2, 2013

midwat
May 6, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know how true this is but I'd think the type of people who feel like that was some precursor to murder probably know it was pot and don't care at all. They'd still make a bigger deal out of it if it was heroin or something, but to them it's just different flavors of the same kind of wrong.

That or they're just writing terrible things to make people talk. Since I'm not going to click that link who wrote it by the way?

Ashley Fox.

I'm pretty sure this is clickbait, but it's just plausible enough to be someone's really dumb opinion.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
It was obviously the result of a hard marijuana sale gone wrong. He shorted him by 25 kilograms of dope.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
On one hand this goes against Matt Tabbi's "always draft weed" recommendation but on the other hand the Patriots already got more than a full worth for 4th round pick especially if they are weaseling out of paying him real money on his renegotiated contract.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm all for pot legalization and know that using it doesn't indicate anything about your character. But I see drug tests in big time college athletics as more of an IQ test. As in, if you are at a major college program with a real shot at the pros and you can't loving stay off weed, then you are either an idiot or have developed a problem. The rules against pot are stupid, but they are there and they have real impact on a player's income-earning potential. In this case, the repeated failures were a possible symptom that the player had issues, obviously not the cause.

Wasn't Hernandez a first or second round talent? Holy poo poo, how much money did he lose right off the bat based on "character issues"?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I have a theory that the writer for the Ravens SB Nation has recently gotten into an argument on the internet with a 49ers fan, because this beauty happened.

SBNation posted:

Just seeing if you know how I think. We won the superbowl because we cheated. Obviously every call was made for us and the other team never got any calls. We were always holding they never were. If we score a touchdown, something should have been called. Ray Lewis murdered somebody, so he should be in prison. Ray Lewis used antler spray, so he should have been suspended. Either way, the refs missed every single call possible just so we could win the superbowl. Chris Culliver never bumped anybody, that's just Torrey flopping. Crabtree was not even touching Jimmy, Jimmy just shoved him out of frustration. Those refs should be fired for their performance. The Niners should have won the superbowl. Commish Roger just sets up everything every year, which is why other teams never win the superbowl. Oh, forgot to mention, I'm a 49ers fan. I'm not mocking anybody, I'm just always right about everything, so don't doubt me. I'm a 49ers fan. JUST KIDDING. Happy July Fools, I invented a new holiday.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
You guys read some real poo poo, I gotta say

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Rap posted:

You guys read some real poo poo, I gotta say

I can't take any article serious anymore. It seems that 90% of them are written by someone who just takes an extreme position to one side and more than likely doesn't have any personal conviction behind besides "more page clicks"

Twitter and Yahoo for news, SAS for opinions. Most of you guys aren't gimmick accounts.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I get all of my NFL news from here (or NFLN if I have it on in the background).

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

I get all of my NFL news from here (or NFLN if I have it on in the background).

Pretty much this. TFF is the best news aggregator around.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It is somewhat jarring how much better this forum is at sports reporting than the sports media.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Aside from dose of homer-ism we don't have an agenda of page views or anything else. It's harder to make fun of something effectively if you don't have the facts.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It is somewhat jarring how much better this forum is at sports reporting than the sports media.

You should find the old 9/11 thread. Lots of scary accurate predictions in it.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Nobody editorializes worse than Rotoworld:

quote:

Aaron Hernandez - TE - Free Agent

In a letter written to the Patriots prior to the 2010 NFL Draft, Aaron Hernandez offered to take additional drug tests to ease concerns about his past.
Hernandez offered to willfully submit to bi-weekly drug tests during the 2010 season, and to "reimburse" the team a pro-rata amount for any failed test. The former tight end went on to say he instructed his agents "to be creative in finding a contract structure" that would donate his salary to a charity of the Patriots' choice in the case of a positive test, since he could not directly forfeit money to the team under the CBA. The letter is another example Hernandez' duplicity.
I don't mind the "Aaron Hernandez is a bad guy" poo poo before a conviction, because these are sports reporters we're talking about. But that last line, Jesus Christ. A private letter directly to a team, offering to make extraordinary accommodations, apparently unprompted. How is he a bad guy in this case exactly?

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

Rap posted:

I don't mind the "Aaron Hernandez is a bad guy" poo poo before a conviction, because these are sports reporters we're talking about. But that last line, Jesus Christ. A private letter directly to a team, offering to make extraordinary accommodations, apparently unprompted. How is he a bad guy in this case exactly?

His attempts to provide more accountability than the player-protecting CBA allows shows his submission to management.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

Calling him a former tight end is kind of misleading. Former Patriot probably would have been a better choice.

Or else that was a pretty stealthy joke...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
ESPN's ratings are down:

http://deadspin.com/espns-ratings-a...dium=socialflow

I think the most interesting stat from this article is that ESPN accounts for 45% of Disney's revenue :stare:.

• Locked thread