Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
We had a dude working on planes on the flight deck at night(dunno specifics, didnt work up there) fall off while trying to hop on to a different wing apparently. Luckily for him he fell right near where a smoke pit was and someone heard him otherwise I'm sure he would've been done for. I watched the helo pick him up, I'm sure that was quite a scary few minutes.

Not necessarily an idiot it gets pretty god drat dark up there but I probably wouldn't do much hopping near the edge of the flight deck heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Beria posted:

I heard of one on my first deployment on a small boy in our strike group. This girl, an OS, just went missing, then I guess they found her a day or two later in the water. They had to fly her off our boat. It was some really sad poo poo.

Are all overboards pretty much suicides or are there duties which might regularly entail a good chance of falling into the drink?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Are all overboards pretty much suicides or are there duties which might regularly entail a good chance of falling into the drink?

Manoverboard is a common thing. Usually its a chemlight some marine tossed off the side or floating trash that someone thinks looks like a body. Once in a great while its a float coat that got wet and sets off the signal beacon thing. I suspect the most common is the 'im awake and miserable im going to ruin everyone elses night too' false alarm.

Genuine 'oops I fell' is hard to do though since theres a safety net of sorts in place on ships with flight decks and helopads. You'd have to be working on a plane with a wing really hanging out there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Legit manoverboards can happen for a number of reasons. Some are suicide. The rest are typically in the midst of an evolution of somesort where safety apparatus is lowered for the purpose of the evolution: IE replenishment at sea (RAS) or flight ops. In all of these situations, people are required to wear a certain amount of safety gear if they go anywhere near the rail.

The "oops I sliped and benny hilled over the side" are very rare, but still can happen. In that case, there's a person standing watch at the aft end of the ship 24/7 while steaming underway. This person is the Aft Lookout or Life Bouy Watch. If you fall over during a non-major evolution, he's your absolute last hope of being seen. It's not easy to spot someone that has chemlights, strobes, etc on them in great conditions. The worse the seas are, the less chance you have of being seen. Also, if you don't get seen, no one is going to miss you until you miss a watch or a muster. It could be hours before they realize you're missing.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Maybe there's an upside to my choice of going Army instead of Navy :stare:
Stuff like that absolutely terrifies the poo poo out of me.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Mike-o posted:

Maybe there's an upside to my choice of going Army instead of Navy :stare:
Stuff like that absolutely terrifies the poo poo out of me.
Yeah gently caress that poo poo. I can't swim, and refuse to learn.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you fall over, swimming is the least of your concern. The ocean is very easy to float in. The problem is, the survivability time in open ocean is sometimes measured in minutes. If it's cold, we have a sliding scale that tells us how long before hypothermia sets in. It doesn't take much. Once you start getting below 75° or so, hypothermia can start in just a few minutes. The colder it gets, the faster it onsets. When the water is above 80 degrees, you're solid for hypothermia. No worries there, but then you have to worry about sharks. There are a shitton of sharks out there, and they will loving kill and eat you. There's a maximum point of survival time estimates at the peak of cold water and bottom of warm water. That temp water isn't very common. You're pretty much hosed if you fall over unless someone very alert spots you.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Legit manoverboards can happen for a number of reasons. Some are suicide. The rest are typically in the midst of an evolution of somesort where safety apparatus is lowered for the purpose of the evolution: IE replenishment at sea (RAS) or flight ops. In all of these situations, people are required to wear a certain amount of safety gear if they go anywhere near the rail.

The "oops I sliped and benny hilled over the side" are very rare, but still can happen. In that case, there's a person standing watch at the aft end of the ship 24/7 while steaming underway. This person is the Aft Lookout or Life Bouy Watch. If you fall over during a non-major evolution, he's your absolute last hope of being seen. It's not easy to spot someone that has chemlights, strobes, etc on them in great conditions. The worse the seas are, the less chance you have of being seen. Also, if you don't get seen, no one is going to miss you until you miss a watch or a muster. It could be hours before they realize you're missing.

Legit flag oscar here. :v:
I was transfering from one of our small boats to another with all my poo poo. The boat I was tranfering to was coming in nose first and stopped just about a foot from the side of the boat I was on, so I though "great, I can just step aboard".
Mid step I realize they didn't stop, they're in reverse in order to turn and go alongside...
So as I extend my foot and transfer my weight the bow just disappears under me and I go in the drink with my sleeping bag and all my gear. In Norway in april. I guess the water held about 8 degrees C.

Luckily we had just finished a MOB drill (people hadn't even gotten back belowdecks), so I was fished out within 2 minutes.

I was an idiot because I knew full well that the boat I was transferring to doesn't have a transmission, it just has an "air-clutch" meaning you can let air into the hydrojet to lose almost all thrust. That boat doesn't do "stop" it just does "very slow ahead or back", so when it stopped and was dead in water for a second I should have realized that meant it was applying reverse thrust and wouldn't remain stationary.

Caconym fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 1, 2013

Brittle Beard
Dec 10, 2012
That is just terrifying.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
During Tiger cruise (civilians get to ride on ship) on carrier from Hawaii to San Diego, man overboard drill called while I was on watch, and my Dad is nowhere to be found. He served on a carrier in his day, and he was having a blast re-living his glory days. He is the last person to be accounted for, and at first I was embarrassed, then actually concerned that he did fall over the side. Thankfully, no, he is finally found after about 20 minutes since drill was 1st called away on the 0-8 level (flag bridge) sleeping in the Admiral's command chair. Evidence in plain view that he had been smoking up there. When told by some staff officer (I think it was XO of CRUDESGRU) that there is no smoking inside the ship, he tells him "Up yours buddy, I'm a taxpayer, I pay your salary". Walks away, giving no fucks.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you fall over, swimming is the least of your concern. The ocean is very easy to float in. The problem is, the survivability time in open ocean is sometimes measured in minutes. If it's cold, we have a sliding scale that tells us how long before hypothermia sets in. It doesn't take much. Once you start getting below 75° or so, hypothermia can start in just a few minutes. The colder it gets, the faster it onsets. When the water is above 80 degrees, you're solid for hypothermia. No worries there, but then you have to worry about sharks. There are a shitton of sharks out there, and they will loving kill and eat you. There's a maximum point of survival time estimates at the peak of cold water and bottom of warm water. That temp water isn't very common. You're pretty much hosed if you fall over unless someone very alert spots you.

Jesus loving Christ

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

Nerdfest X posted:

During Tiger cruise (civilians get to ride on ship) on carrier from Hawaii to San Diego, man overboard drill called while I was on watch, and my Dad is nowhere to be found. He served on a carrier in his day, and he was having a blast re-living his glory days. He is the last person to be accounted for, and at first I was embarrassed, then actually concerned that he did fall over the side. Thankfully, no, he is finally found after about 20 minutes since drill was 1st called away on the 0-8 level (flag bridge) sleeping in the Admiral's command chair. Evidence in plain view that he had been smoking up there. When told by some staff officer (I think it was XO of CRUDESGRU) that there is no smoking inside the ship, he tells him "Up yours buddy, I'm a taxpayer, I pay your salary". Walks away, giving no fucks.

Your dad is a cool dude.

Brittle Beard
Dec 10, 2012

Nerdfest X posted:

Did they say anything to you about it?

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Nerdfest X posted:

Your dad is cool as gently caress.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Update on idiot child molester I used to work with: Now a third teenage girl is reporting that he molested her numerous times when she was 14. You'd think he'd just resign himself to his fate, plead guilty, and stop wasting everybody's time. Nope, he's got his lawyer demanding expert witnesses, and trying to smear one of the girls as a pathological liar.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Brittle Beard posted:

Did they say anything to you about it?

In no known universe can an E-4 (or someone who that E-4 is responsible for) tell an officer who has scrambled eggs on their hat to shove it, and there not be consequences and repercussions.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

:stare:

Land is awesome, gently caress water.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Nice! posted:

When I took military law as an elective we read a case about a guy who, on a bet, jumped off the back of a carrier. Thanks for putting into perspective what a goddamn moron that guy had to be.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Caconym posted:

I Norway in april. I guess the water held about 8 degrees C.

I realize now you probably meant "In Norway in April", but reading GIP threads made me spend ten minutes trying to figure out what activity "Norwaying in April" describes.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nerdfest X posted:

My dad (an ex e-4) used to make a point of stopping officers and pointing out their gig lines.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

piL posted:

I realize now you probably meant "In Norway in April", but reading GIP threads made me spend ten minutes trying to figure out what activity "Norwaying in April" describes.

Falling overboard of course. :v:

:blush:
Should probably edit that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

piL posted:

I wanna Norway in April.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I've never been in the military but in the spirit of the IDR unmasking I'd thought I'd share my experiences with an ex work colleague who was without a doubt an even bigger idiot, since he went for broke almost right from the start and his idiocy got him sacked.
I'm in the UK.

This idiot was called Martin, he was mid 40s and a temp warehouse worker. He claimed to have been in the Parachute Regiment, fair enough. Then he claimed to have been a pathfinder, hmmmm.

The silly stories started to pour in, he claimed that he and a few of his chums had gone on a tomato only diet and had almost died from it. He also claimed that he could do more pressups than anyone in the building but always had an excuse when challenged not to.

For him the final straw came when he was scheduled to be trained on the scissor lift. He looked very nervous when approaching it, but was ok until he took it up to the top of the building. The motor cut out and he was stranded. This has happened to all of us in the warehouse and none of us had a panic attack. Martin though was shaking and crying and screaming "gently caress no, gently caress, gently caress!" Eventually we get him down.

So Martin is afraid of heights, fair enough -even for an ex member of the Parachute Regiment. He refused to use the machine though, which is unavoidable in his line of work, then he explained why he was afraid of heights.

"I saw my mates blown up in mid air by artillery when we were dropped on Baghdad Airport back in the war, everytime I go up in the air, I'm reminded of them!"

Even with my limited knowledge, I knew this was bullshit. Soon after he was sacked from the company, since everyone else realised he was full of crap!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sounds like the classic poseur, but I will tell you that there are plenty of jumpers that are afraid of heights for any number of reasons; his sounds like a bunch of bullshit though.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

I wanna Norway in April.

The top one is probably from a "girl camp" they organize for girls from 16-21 in order to recruit more women.
One weekend of playing around, shooting, and talking to women serving to find out if it's something for them.
No shoulder patches, sneakers, and drat they look young.

The second and last look very much legit. The armor one because she has the beret (the cavalry guard that black beret jealously), the last one beacuse she has all the correct ISAF-paraphernalia.
The third might be although loose hair is a no-no.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

My dad (an ex e-4) used to make a point of stopping officers and pointing out their gig lines.

I yelled "nice cover!" at some random SNCO a few months back for not having a hat on outside.

Silly man, being in the middle of nowhere in Michigan doesn't protect you from disgruntled ex-junior enlisted.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I yelled "nice cover!" at some random SNCO a few months back for not having a hat on outside.

Silly man, being in the middle of nowhere in Michigan doesn't protect you from disgruntled ex-junior enlisted.

The Army has given me the urge to loving with dirty privates who are hanging out at the PX whilst in basic training.

But then my human decency kicks and realize that there's no need for that, they probably just want to have some ice cream or something. Can't hate on a dude for that.

Watch me yell at some hosed up NCO when I'm driving by on the weekend though. Probably after they just yelled at some poor fuzzy who don't know any better.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Beria posted:

I heard of one on my first deployment on a small boy in our strike group. This girl, an OS, just went missing, then I guess they found her a day or two later in the water. They had to fly her off our boat. It was some really sad poo poo.

I was on watch in CDC when that happened. It was all very :smith: to see unfold. It was also one of the two times that the CO came into CDC in the 4 and a half years I was on the ship during normal operations.

Also, Nerdfest, that story rules. Wow.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oh I have an idiot story. My idiot half brother.

My brother enlisted in the navy right after high school and drove subs.

One day he decided that he wasn't going to work on a Saturday so he went AWOL. Got in his truck and just left. Was AWOL for almost a month. Of course the Navy contacted his mom and my dad. My dad is a retired Air Force E-8 so he wasn't too thrilled to hear this. The idiot blew through his money and couch surfed for awhile (obviously didn't think this plan through very well) so he called up my house one night to beg for money. I only heard one half of the conversation, but my dad let off a series of expletives and told my brother he brought shame on the family and never to call again, he then added that he was going to contact the navy to let them know he called and then slammed the phone down.

Out of options, my brother slinked back to base. Surprisingly he wasn't kicked out, just busted down to E-1. He managed to eke out an honorable discharge six months later (yeah, he had less than a year on his enlistment) so that he could use the Montgomery GI Bill. Except he didn't use it. He spent the next 10 years after he got out doing every drug and in general being a waste of space.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh I have an idiot story. My idiot half brother.

My brother enlisted in the navy right after high school and drove subs.

One day he decided that he wasn't going to work on a Saturday so he went AWOL. Got in his truck and just left. Was AWOL for almost a month. Of course the Navy contacted his mom and my dad. My dad is a retired Air Force E-8 so he wasn't too thrilled to hear this. The idiot blew through his money and couch surfed for awhile (obviously didn't think this plan through very well) so he called up my house one night to beg for money. I only heard one half of the conversation, but my dad let off a series of expletives and told my brother he brought shame on the family and never to call again, he then added that he was going to contact the navy to let them know he called and then slammed the phone down.

Out of options, my brother slinked back to base. Surprisingly he wasn't kicked out, just busted down to E-1. He managed to eke out an honorable discharge six months later (yeah, he had less than a year on his enlistment) so that he could use the Montgomery GI Bill. Except he didn't use it. He spent the next 10 years after he got out doing every drug and in general being a waste of space.

:smith: This actually happens a lot...

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Yeah. I remember some a-ganger nub taking an extended vacation, but not long enough to get into any super-serious trouble.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

We had one guy not come back from holiday leave and the command kept trying to get a hold of him. His cell phone had been shut off but I guess at some point he had contacted a friend or two at the command and assured them he'd be back. A few days later he shows up and he tells everyone that his car had broken down on the trip back and since his car was a piece of crap most everyone bought it.

Something wasn't right though, I guess the command was still hassling him for not contacting them and being basically awol for a bit so were in the process of drumming up charges against him. Well he wasn't liking that prospect and decided to use the CO's open door policy to admit that while on leave he decided to go do "heavy drugs" (his words) and the real reason he was late coming back and dodging their calls was he was afraid that after the holiday they were going to do a command sweep urinalysis and he figured that he'd get out of it by not being there and by the time the next time he'd have to piss again they'd of been out of his system.

Ballsy.

Of course the CO's open door policy isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card or something and they basically shift gears and start nailing this dude to the wall to set an example. While he's waiting for his discharge he still has to come to work under heavy supervision and he tells us can't believe that he got in trouble when he turned himself in.

Brittle Beard
Dec 10, 2012
He must have been a real genius.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah the one lesson the military taught me was that honesty is never the best policy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If you go UA (AWOL) for more than 30 days you get classified as a deserter, which has tougher penalties and can get you arrested. I learned this when our resident shitbag came back on day 29; I wasn't closely involved with the case but from what I heard he was at his mom's place and she kicked him out so he wouldn't bust 30 days. Admin basically had two folders ready for him - the NJP/adsep paperwork for if he came back in time, and the deserter paperwork for an arrest warrant if he didn't.

Blackchamber posted:

While he's waiting for his discharge he still has to come to work under heavy supervision and he tells us can't believe that he got in trouble when he turned himself in.

We had a guy who popped for Spice and one of his buddies (who hadn't popped) went and admitted to using it as well. They both got kicked out and the guy who fessed up didn't seem surprised by it. Neither of them were really idiots, though; just some decent guys that made bad decisions.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
One of the guys that ended up being a spare driver deserted on us, but not intentionally. Basic timeline was that right before first R&R leave went out, he found out his wife was cheating on him. Dude goes home on the first wave, goes to his house, jody beats the gently caress out of him with a baseball bat until his body is unidentifiable. Dude lives, goes to the hospital and has no identification on him. Wife never visited to identify him. Spends however many weeks in a coma, then however long in rehab because he busted like everything. At some point he finds out that nobody ever notified us of his situation, and the hospital had no idea he was in the military. So he naturally freaks the gently caress out because he's been gone for like, nine weeks at this point or something and calls Rear D. Rear D does the Army solution, and dispatches MPs to arrest and detain him. Spends however many weeks dealing with that poo poo, and ends up coming back to us around month 7 or so of our deployment.

He gets written up for lying on his leave form (he said Colorado where we were stationed, got busted up / hospitalized in Louisiana), busted down to E1, and sent to HQ platoon as a driver. He was a cool dude. We always busted his balls for going to confront jody completely unarmed.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

And that's why you shouldn't put pussy on a pedestal.

Story from one of the section leaders:

Apparently when soldiers go AWOL so long it becomes desertion, any army guy (in this case a CID(?) guy), needs to be accompanied by a cop in case the guy tries to flee.

Sgt A is at this point finishing active as a recruiter and gets a call from a buddy asking if he wants to tag along an AWOL with him since they were close by. He says yes and drives out to meet him. They got to a big one story house that had a front and back door. Sgt A is built like a blacksquatch so one of the cops takes him to cover the back door.

As they start heading over, Sgt A's friend bangs on the door, "PFC Fuckface, we know you're in there. We have a warrant for your arrest." They hear a faint "OH poo poo" from inside the house and footsteps towards the backdoor, where Sgt A is now posted. He is leaning against the door (it swung out).

Fuckface runs and collides with the immovable object. They hear him panicking when suddenly he crashes out of the window next to the door. A note about glass: it shatters into shards, not into perfectly tiny pieces like in the movies (except windshields). PFC Fuckface was loving shredded. He didn't run after that.

Brittle Beard
Dec 10, 2012

Vasudus posted:

He gets written up for lying on his leave form (he said Colorado where we were stationed, got busted up / hospitalized in Louisiana), busted down to E1, and sent to HQ platoon as a driver. He was a cool dude. We always busted his balls for going to confront jody completely unarmed.

Wow, seems pretty harsh. Poor dude had already been through hell. What ever happened to the military taking care of it's own?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Once you make a single mistake you're as good as a terrorist :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Brittle Beard posted:

Wow, seems pretty harsh. Poor dude had already been through hell. What ever happened to the military taking care of it's own?

Most of the punishment wasn't directed from the company level. When you're the first and only person to desert in the recent history of 3ACR, you tend to attract attention from up on high.

edit:

old dog child posted:

Once you make a single mistake you're as good as a terrorist :911:

Also this.