Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Who is so terrible at parallel parking that they bump the other car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

muscles like this? posted:

I once worked for a guy who considered that part of his technique. He was a great parallel parker, he could get his large boat of a car in the most impossibly small spots, he just didn't give a poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, they joked about it but where the hell is Grant?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I don't mind the episodes so far this season, it was good to finally see them get the JATO done after a literal decade. The results regarding microsleep in the DC episode were interesting too.

Koirhor posted:

so i haven't watched mythbusters in awhile but I am stuck in a hotel room so what the hell right? uhhhh wow they are running out of ideas.
And what's the deal with MTV not playing music videos?!

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 30, 2013

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just a few weeks ago I saw someone do such a terrible job at parallel parking that they scraped against the driver's side front corner of the car behind them going in.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Koirhor posted:

so i haven't watched mythbusters in awhile but I am stuck in a hotel room so what the hell right? uhhhh wow they are running out of ideas.

They haven't, they just have to wait for the summer blockbuster season for new "myths" to test

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
They're all so awful(the episodes) because you know they have to sit there at pitch meetings and figure out how to have the episode end in a tie so nobody gets pissed and writes their congressman.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ToastyPotato posted:

Jake is taking a huge risk leaving the boat for something that is not a sure thing. Northwesterners make a nice amount of money per season.

Sure, but what has he to look forward to on the Northwestern if Edgar does do the Captain thing more often? Deckboss? Jake wants to run a boat, and if Sig chooses a successor it would of course be Edgar. So it's probably better to take the chance while he is young. He's a great deckhand anyway (except him flying off the handle from time to time), so if it doesn't work out he shouldn't have a problem getting another job on a well-paying ship.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I just realized while thinking about last night's episode of Mythbusters is that once again they had a bit that they advertised in the opening but didn't actually show in the episode. It was who was better at reading emotions and looked like the segment that was supposed to have Grant in it.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I think that was in the first Battle of the Sexes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the first Battle of the Sexes episodes had reading emotions, BBQing, and packing a car for a trip.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Decius posted:

Sure, but what has he to look forward to on the Northwestern if Edgar does do the Captain thing more often? Deckboss? Jake wants to run a boat, and if Sig chooses a successor it would of course be Edgar. So it's probably better to take the chance while he is young. He's a great deckhand anyway (except him flying off the handle from time to time), so if it doesn't work out he shouldn't have a problem getting another job on a well-paying ship.

To add, one thing people gloss over is that almost all of the boats are family owned and run so Jake's career path is blocked at deck boss.

The Cornelia Marie, Time Bandit, Northwestern, and Wizard all have multiple family members on board. You could say the Saga as well with Elliot's father on deck.

Keith put it in very simple terms during a blurb. There are roughly 60 boats and 240 people working in this industry. It does not get any smaller or tougher than that.

When you add in the decreasing quotas it begins the thin the herd just a little bit more.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Speaking of Mythbusters, I've stopped watching around the second Duct Tape Special (building a boat with duct tape). Between that and the second Battle of the Sexes, are there any notable episodes?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You might as well check out third time's a charm for JATO car.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The two episodes where they get to play with a rocket sled, and the one with the RPG.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Speaking of Mythbusters, I've stopped watching around the second Duct Tape Special (building a boat with duct tape). Between that and the second Battle of the Sexes, are there any notable episodes?

Definitely the Mission Impossible Mask episode, if you haven't seen it. It might be my favourite Mythbusters episode ever. So unsettling.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Anything involving germs is usually somewhat interesting.

Anything involving sleep deprivation or inebriation tends to fall flat since they just use themselves as test subjects, which is awful since they are trying to make TV at the same time which I feel distorts their behavior/reactions in a way that makes the test largely pointless. The only good one I can remember is drunk Adam Savage on the treadmill and getting slapped.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also mean drunk Kari when she had to rate guys.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
They should really stay away from those Myths with the B-team as subjects, they have enough longstanding credibility problems with the fanbase as it is (and that was BEFORE the cannonball home delivery).

That said, I think my favorite single memory of them being clowns was when everyone was retching while trying to put together that disgusting little earwax candle. I will always view more of those type of moments.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There was also mean drunk Kari when she had to rate guys.

That is kind of an example of what I am talking about. Kind of difficult in these kinds of cases to tell how much they are hamming it up, especially given that they seem to ham it up for the camera all the damned time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I wonder if there is a world record for most C4 purchased by a television program?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kari was originally hired to be a butt model to make a mold for a toilet myth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Kari was originally hired to be a butt model to make a mold for a toilet myth.

Nah, that's just why she got on the program. Originally she was just Jamie's assistant at M5. In one of the recap episodes she talks about sitting out in one of the cars in the middle of the desert while they were filming the pilot. Tory's story is similar where he was just working there when they decided they needed a B team. Grant is actually the only one who was hired specifically for the show.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah, Tory's a trained stuntman which comes in handy with some of the dumb poo poo they do. Kari's a model maker and Grant's an engineer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, Tory's a trained stuntman which comes in handy with some of the dumb poo poo they do. Kari's a model maker and Grant's an engineer.

In fact he's the only one insured for a lot of poo poo they do, which is why the "lottery" to see who would drive the F1 car was "won" by Tori.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It also makes the clip of him crashing the bicycle that much funnier.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Tory also worked with Adam and Grant at ILM making models for the Star Wars prequels.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That's a weird combo of skills. What do you do? I am a model maker for film and a stuntman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grant is one of 3 (or so) people that are allowed to officially control R2D2.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
He was also the alternate for C3PO in the costume when Anthony Daniels wouldn't/couldn't do it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably one of the funniest Mythbusters facts is that Jamie used to participate in the whole robot fighting thing but his robot was so good at destroying others/dangerous that it was banned. I believe the issue with it was that it caused too many parts to go flying off the other robots.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Every discovery show about whites guys operating small businesses has a promo where they are walking toward the camera away from a huge fire in the middle of the night.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Probably one of the funniest Mythbusters facts is that Jamie used to participate in the whole robot fighting thing but his robot was so good at destroying others/dangerous that it was banned. I believe the issue with it was that it caused too many parts to go flying off the other robots.
If I remember correctly, his robot was just an upside down spinning dish that spun at a very high speed. Anything that touched it got flung far and fast.

His robot was Blendo. That robot was pretty much the perfect Jamie robot. Simple, worked within the rules at the time, unbeatable. Hell, untouchable.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I'll never understand Build Team hate. I'd watch Earthquake machine from the season, BTW.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'll never understand Build Team hate. I'd watch Earthquake machine from the season, BTW.

They seem to be needlessly scripted most of the time instead of just presenting what it is that they are doing. Jamie and Adam have scripted moments at certain points, but it really is overbearing with the Build Team.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ToastyPotato posted:

They seem to be needlessly scripted most of the time instead of just presenting what it is that they are doing. Jamie and Adam have scripted moments at certain points, but it really is overbearing with the Build Team.

They really just aren't strong enough personalities to pull it off. Jamie excels because he's completely loving deadpan and terrible at scripted segments, but it plays off Adam who has tons of natural enthusiasm. The B team is just, you know, there. Grant was never meant to be in front of a camera, Kari, eh, and Tori throws off Guy Fieri vibes for me. I won't say my dislike of them is rational, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That Guy Fieri comparison is pretty appropriate.

The build team really feels like they would be at home on Food Network, TLC, Bravo, etc, while Jamie and Adam seem more in line with the generation of TV personalities they came from, namely Mike Rowe, and Les Stroud.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Fire Storm posted:

If I remember correctly, his robot was just an upside down spinning dish that spun at a very high speed. Anything that touched it got flung far and fast.

His robot was Blendo. That robot was pretty much the perfect Jamie robot. Simple, worked within the rules at the time, unbeatable. Hell, untouchable.

Blendo was rendered less-than-effective when they migrated from Robot Wars to BattleBots, for a variety of reasons.

Don't forget that Grant also had Deadblow in Battlebots, who shows up in Mythbusters from time to time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Blendo is such a Jamie name :allears:

Also, I can't find a decent video of it inaction. Most footage of the fights was apparently filmed using a potato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKbE7ocZBHI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Tim Samaras, his son Paul, and Carl Young from Team Twistex were all killed by a tornado on Friday night. Really sad, especially considering they were the only team on Storm Chasers that was really interested in science. I really always thought it would be Reed. :smith:

Wooten fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 2, 2013

• Locked thread