Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You can see how stats develop for each vocation here. I like the strider class, but really don't care for its stat growth. Your damage gains are split between physical/magic attack, but hybridizing like that isn't a great idea unless you're going mystic knight. If you're really attached to implicate or the strider bow abilities though, go for it. You're not going to be unable to kill Daimon just because you have 400-500 less strength at max level than you would if you played an assassin the whole way through. That said, assassin is a pretty cool class too. Snakebite makes a good substitute for implicate, being single target but working on more types of enemies and doing significant damage. You can switch it up with a sword and/or shield when you want, as well.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I have a spare Devilsbane sword for any PS3 Goon who can use it, my Pawn is using a fully upgraded Devilsbane and she now has over 3000 strength thanks to it.

PSN: JudgeTesla for those who haven't had the pleasure of seeing my Pawn leap around a lot and tank Eliminator blows with her face.

EDIT: I hope you can transfer weapons between pawns as it'd be a shame to waste it, my Assassin uses Daggers almost exclusively, I'm using the Helmbarte Daggers to be exact, and they are almost fully upgraded.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 31, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can trade weapons, but unfortunately BBI weapons can't be traded.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You can't exchange BBI weapons

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Hmm... Yeah I definitely think i'm going to stick with assassin for a while, I'm doing pretty good with it so far. I have been running around with my main pawn exploring, just killed two ogres at the same time at night it was pretty great.

e: hahaha i just found some silk lingerie

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 31, 2013

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Cakeequals posted:

It would make sense that every single piece of armor you found was inferior, cause the Volodan armor is a full set, so it has the stats of a full set. Maybe making a set of different armor you find would give you higher stats.

...I didn't realize this game did the whole armor set bonus thing. I'm dumb. Guess I'll keep looking.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It's not a set bonus. Some pieces of armor (those that begin or end their names with "set") like the Set of Voldoan Armor are outfits, which are single items that represent an entire suit of armor. They occupy the chest slot, but equipping them makes you unable to equip armor in all other slots. These sets tend to have incredibly inflated stats because they're a single armor item that occupies all 6 armor slots. When you go to replace those items, stuff will seem worse on the stat comparison screen because you're comparing a single item to one that's actually a 6-in-1.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

^^^^^Somehow I managed to not see this post.

teknetik posted:

...I didn't realize this game did the whole armor set bonus thing. I'm dumb. Guess I'll keep looking.

There's no bonus - just put on a full complement of stuff in all the slots, and you'll see the total value of your armor will definitely beat the armor piece you're currently wearing.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Alright, finally got my main and He-Man to level 100. Honestly can't say I'm a fan of magick knights now, having used the class for the last few levels to get my health up. Gonna spend one or two levels as a Warrior so I can get He-Man's gear dragonforged and then stick with Magick Archer for the rest of the game. I miss Immolation and Gleaming Arrow so bad.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Phew, I just beat my first golem. Now it's night time... and apparently my god drat pawn used all 18 bottles of oil I had on her...

E: Well I have managed to stumble into bluemoon tower in the pitch black, though something tells me I would probably be safer outside haha.

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 1, 2013

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is it normal for Mages to just not cast any offensive spells? I was working my way through BBI just for fun, and pretty much all my pawn did was cast the High Anodation and curse-purging spell. Then with 3 hits left on the skeleton brute, she'll finally cast Comestation to finish them off. It might be explained by her pawn alignment being set to protect me at all times, though.

VVV That's what I think it is. If my health isn't at 100%, she'll still cast healing spells even with no enemies around. Pawns are dumb.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 1, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, what's her inclination? If Medicant is there then she likely won't cast offensive spells unless no one needs any healing.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

red19fire posted:

Is it normal for Mages to just not cast any offensive spells? I was working my way through BBI just for fun, and pretty much all my pawn did was cast the High Anodation and curse-purging spell. Then with 3 hits left on the skeleton brute, she'll finally cast Comestation to finish them off. It might be explained by her pawn alignment being set to protect me at all times, though.

VVV That's what I think it is. If my health isn't at 100%, she'll still cast healing spells even with no enemies around. Pawns are dumb.

Mages tend to cast healing spells with no enemies around regardless of inclination since they have nothing better to do.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
So, I got rank 10 in Strider, and switched over to Assassin. I was lamenting some of the abilities I lost, mumbling to myself "when does assassin get fun".

Then I used Easy Kill.

:stare:

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
So I'm screwing around in bluemoon tower and I got to this chest and I don't see any other way you could get to it but the thing is the jumps i had to make to get there were almost impossible with double jump and the only reason i was able to do them was by basicly glitching (it took forever). So I saved in front of the chest because i thought it might be something awesome and i'm only getting either an iris ring a scroll of chimera vol.2 or a ring that lowers chance of topor.. I was expecting some awesome secret weapon or something with how much work it took to get up here :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can confirm that all those jumps in Bluemoon are indeed possible with double jump and without glitching. Leviate sure makes them a heck of a lot easier though.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Ah I didn't think about levitate, thats probably what they expect you to use. Oh well guess i have two iris rings now.

E: Do the chests in bluemoon respawn ever? I have noticed chests respawn elsewhere (like Smugglers' Pass nearby)
E2: wait a minute, the magic stat on a weapon is additional magic damage? I thought it just boosted magic attack power... I guess those scalding razors I got were actually a lot better than I though!!

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 1, 2013

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Lunimeow posted:

So I'm screwing around in bluemoon tower and I got to this chest and I don't see any other way you could get to it but the thing is the jumps i had to make to get there were almost impossible with double jump and the only reason i was able to do them was by basicly glitching (it took forever). So I saved in front of the chest because i thought it might be something awesome and i'm only getting either an iris ring a scroll of chimera vol.2 or a ring that lowers chance of topor.. I was expecting some awesome secret weapon or something with how much work it took to get up here :(

Hah, I can guarantee that any "hidden" chest you find will have useless junk in it, the game loves to throw loads of chests filled with Oil or Linen Cloths at you.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Lunimeow posted:

Ah I didn't think about levitate, thats probably what they expect you to use. Oh well guess i have two iris rings now.

E: Do the chests in bluemoon respawn ever? I have noticed chests respawn elsewhere (like Smugglers' Pass nearby)
E2: wait a minute, the magic stat on a weapon is additional magic damage? I thought it just boosted magic attack power... I guess those scalding razors I got were actually a lot better than I though!!

The treasure at the top of the tower respawns. I'm pretty sure most chests in the game world respawn after a while.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I got a ring that increases my damage while unarmed. I then found out that being unarmed gives you the dodge and double jump abilities. Now i'm going through BBI solo and unarmed.

It's going better than I thought it would.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Just beat my first drake, still haven't started any of the quests in gran soren yet haha. I think I got a couple levels from it

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Thievery posted:

I got a ring that increases my damage while unarmed. I then found out that being unarmed gives you the dodge and double jump abilities. Now i'm going through BBI solo and unarmed.

It's going better than I thought it would.
I sincerely hope that Capcom will include a vocation that only uses unarmed attacks in the sequel to this game.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Yeah some sort of fist fighter would be great.

Turns out running solo isn't working too well anymore, just fought some suit of armour that after you take off half its health can't be hit by physical attacks anymore. Ugh.

Test-0
Jul 15, 2006

It lives...
To bypass a physical immune enemy, bring a batch of scrolls tomes and jewels that cast spells when used. Or possibly throw blasts? I don't remember if those worked or not.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lunimeow posted:

Phew, I just beat my first golem. Now it's night time... and apparently my god drat pawn used all 18 bottles of oil I had on her...

There's some bugs with pawn item usage. I stopped giving good curatives to mine after one chugged 8 panaceas in one go to cure being wet. While standing in waist-high water.

I tried equipping them with towels instead. One went through twenty in under a second.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 1, 2013

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Dominic White posted:

There's some bugs with pawn item usage. I stopped giving good curatives to mine after one chugged 8 panaceas in one go to cure being wet. While standing in waist-high water.

I tried equipping them with towels instead. One went through twenty in under a second.

With oil, it's more likely the pawn just lobbed them all as projectiles.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Was out exploring earlier and came across the Tomb of the Unknown Traveller and ended up in my first golem fight. Everything was going great until the thing got enraged and took me out in two hits. Retried and went back, no golem this time, but when I searched the sword gather spot near the tomb I found an Eden's Warden. :dance: I swapped to fighter and Babycakes is a Strider right now so we can get all those sweet augments. Fighter is really fun to play, I don't use the shield nearly as much as I should, but it feels like I can just wade into battle and kick rear end with impunity.

I've been using Monowhatever's mage pawn Becky for awhile and she's really good, although I think her Scather makes her run at enemies sometimes. Cyclopeses are pretty much a breeze with her cause she keeps em stunned with lightning the whole fight. Me and her tag teamed an armored one by ourselves on the ramparts of the Shadow Fort mission after it batted Babycakes and my other rental pawn off the side to their doom.

Last few levels I've been using a pubbie heal/buff mage named TheBoogerman. She's good at her job, but ridiculous looking. Looks like a girl version of Mr. Popo, and has one of the squeaky voice options.

This game is fun.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Dominic White posted:

This is why I never ever give them curatives. Feel free to dump all the dragon's spit and throwblasts on them however.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm starting to think the snakeskin purse doesn't exist.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Overbite posted:

These are my favorite things to gift lowbie goons. Looks like you're on the PS3 though.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Overbite posted:

The good thing is, once you find the one in the river downstream from the abbey you never forget where it is again.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

The Doomhammer posted:

The good thing is, once you find the one in the river downstream from the abbey you never forget where it is again.

Fun fact - they can be found in any river, and the location is random!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Thievery posted:

I saw a youtube video where it was in a chest :psyduck:

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

Overbite posted:

I saw a youtube video where it was in a chest :psyduck:

It can be found in one chest in the Blighted Manse, but it's random. That's the only place I've ever found it in, actually...

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Thievery posted:

There's always one in the particular spot I mentioned though. I've got one there every character I've played (and I've played aloooot) and it even re-spawns after a week.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I found a snakeskin purse in a chest in BBI :shepface:.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Soooooooooo the art of metamorphosis is not only one time use but it never restocks? its been more than an in game week ( maybe two) and its still sold out :(...

E: Wiki says once a playthrough D:! uggghh I wish I had known that!

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 1, 2013

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The Doomhammer posted:

There's always one in the particular spot I mentioned though. I've got one there every character I've played (and I've played aloooot) and it even re-spawns after a week.

Do you have a screenshot or a map marker?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lunimeow posted:

Soooooooooo the art of metamorphosis is not only one time use but it never restocks? its been more than an in game week ( maybe two) and its still sold out :(...

E: Wiki says once a playthrough D:! uggghh I wish I had known that!

Once you get into the post game there's another, upgraded version that lets you change all you like. It carries over into new game+ as well.
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Secret_of_Metamorphosis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I just got this game, and so far i am having a ton of fun. But the whole stat growth thing makes me worried, i was leaning towards playing a Mystic Knight, at what point can i class to the Mystic Knight without gimping my character? Or do stats actually play that big of role overall? I am just worried about gimping my character like in Dark Souls (i.e. putting points into resistance).

• Locked thread