Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

So, I just moved into my new home. It's awesome. Cohen saw to it that my morning was less than awesome.

Yesterday afternoon she ate a bag of flour. An entire bag.
This morning I woke to liquid shits all over our basement. First conversation with neighbours was borrowing carpet cleaner.
Then we discovered she'd peed in my husband's motorcycle shoe. Yep, right in it.
Then she ran right through our screen door. We needed a dog door anyways.
Then she found some raccoon poo poo behind the shed and rolled around in it for a while.

The dog is lucky she's not yet murdered.

It's all so completely out of the ordinary for her. I'm blaming on the stress of the move. Ughhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

a life less posted:

So, I just moved into my new home. It's awesome. Cohen saw to it that my morning was less than awesome.

This morning I woke to liquid shits all over our basement. First conversation with neighbours was borrowing carpet cleaner.
Then we discovered she'd peed in my husband's motorcycle shoe. Yep, right in it.
Then she found some raccoon poo poo behind the shed and rolled around in it for a while.

It's all so completely out of the ordinary for her. I'm blaming on the stress of the move. Ughhh.

When I was a little kid and my parents talked about moving, I would throw tantrums because I was sure it was going to ruin my whole life. Poor Cohen, she must be so confused. Everything's different! She'll learn to love it though. Congrats on your move!

(also, how is a bag of flour appetizing in any way? dawgs :rolleye:)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Zenithbliss posted:

Got Artie’s test results back, the kidneys are normal but liver values are elevated. Both liver markers are elevated and not in normal range, but was told that can sometimes be normal in a young dog.

My vets is going to call the deceased puppy s vet soon to get more clarification hopefully. He didn't want to reassure me about the liver markers elevation till he'd spoken to the other vets.

Does anyone know what this could mean in a 5 month old puppy? His brother definitely has kidney failure so the fact the blood test showed Artie's kidneys were clear is a relief. I just don't know if the liver is potentially a worse thing.

This was him loving puppy classes at lunchtime today...

And here he was yesterday getting brave as normally he runs away from the garden hose

Well, that's good news about his kidneys. Hope his liver's ok as well.

That top picture is adorable. Lovely sleepy cloudpuppy. :3:

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Zenithbliss posted:

Got Artie’s test results back, the kidneys are normal but liver values are elevated. Both liver markers are elevated and not in normal range, but was told that can sometimes be normal in a young dog.

My vets is going to call the deceased puppy s vet soon to get more clarification hopefully. He didn't want to reassure me about the liver markers elevation till he'd spoken to the other vets.

Does anyone know what this could mean in a 5 month old puppy?
I'm glad to hear Artie's kidneys are ok!

Pi was about that age when he broke two of his baby teeth (lower canines iirc) one after another and both got infected and had to be removed. The vet thought it odd that he'd end up with two tooth infections and she wanted to look further into it. Then some lab work showed Pi had modestly elevated alkaline phosphatase values. It's not a completely liver-specific marker and the elevated levels turned out to being due to Pi being in the middle of a growth spurt. I think he went back once for the liver tests to be redone and when they were normal on followup, that was it. Aspartase transaminase is another not-so-specific marker that's frequently useful in diagnosing liver conditions. So depending on which markers are elevated and how much, it can be normal or due to about a million other things. It's probably impossible to say without knowing the bigger picture, so your best bet is to wait for your vet's opinion.

Just so everyone knows, I am not a vet.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Rixatrix posted:

I'm glad to hear Artie's kidneys are ok!

Pi was about that age when he broke two of his baby teeth (lower canines iirc) one after another and both got infected and had to be removed. The vet thought it odd that he'd end up with two tooth infections and she wanted to look further into it. Then some lab work showed Pi had modestly elevated alkaline phosphatase values. It's not a completely liver-specific marker and the elevated levels turned out to being due to Pi being in the middle of a growth spurt. I think he went back once for the liver tests to be redone and when they were normal on followup, that was it. Aspartase transaminase is another not-so-specific marker that's frequently useful in diagnosing liver conditions. So depending on which markers are elevated and how much, it can be normal or due to about a million other things. It's probably impossible to say without knowing the bigger picture, so your best bet is to wait for your vet's opinion.

It's nice to hear what happened to Pi thanks, and Artie is going through a growth spurt as he's put on 1.5lb in 5 days. But as you say I just have to wait for the vets opinion.

How's Sukka doing now?

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Zenithbliss posted:

How's Sukka doing now?
Thanks for asking. Sukka's still limping. It's on and off. It's not so much a limp as it is a hop, like dogs with luxating patellae tend to have. Sukka's knees are fine though. Overall he seems pretty happy and is now fast asleep on his mat.

I'm a wreck though, and the dogs seem to start being affected by it. I haven't been able to train with them for days now and I've been able to give them little appropriate attention (hugging them and crying and dragging them everywhere with me doesn't count as appropriate). They've started fighting, which never happens normally. Sukka and Pi fought in the car over an old chew bone that was left on the back seat, out of reach but in their view.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rixatrix posted:

And? You have it more correct than some vets... :iamafag:

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Well after the last 72 hours I understand you're far more affected by their ailments than they really are. The owner of Artie's brother was stopped on their walk yesterday (Samoyed magnetic pull) and was asked how big he'd be when he grew up, she had to walk away leaving her boyfriend to explain.

Hope you find some peace, and I agree if you can afford the MRI get it done. If it gives you peace of mind getting a fuller picture it's worth it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Nothing quite says 'I love you' like dogs slamming into/attacking your legs when you're trying to play dance games.

gently caress you dogs :(

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

And? You have it more correct than some vets... :iamafag:
Haha, I hope not. My accuracy will be a lot worse when we're not talking about mammals. Or if we're talking about cats, cats are weird. Or cattle. They're weird too.

Zenithbliss posted:

Hope you find some peace, and I agree if you can afford the MRI get it done. If it gives you peace of mind getting a fuller picture it's worth it.
Thank you. I think it will be money well spent too. I hope I'll get the appointment soon. Being stuck in this limbo of uncertainty is the worst.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I am a bad owner who does not upload pictures hardly ever, but last week it was Balen's 8th birthday.

"You wanna go on a car ride buddy?"

"YEAH WANNA GO ON A CAR RIDE :downs: "

CAR RIDE :haw:

There were things to sniff.

And little old german ladies with the best pets in the world who kissed his head so many times. :3:

It was a good birthday.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Happy birthday Balen :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ugh people could let me know beforehand if there is going to be a whole group out to watch me shear. And of course because there were small children around I cut the sheep's knee and it bled more than any cut I have ever seen before. The owner is a vet and really didn't give a poo poo at all but I was kind of horrified. The sheep also managed to bolt off my stand and I had to tackle him and finish on the ground in a puddle of blood.

After all that I didn't even want to charge the lady because it was such a mess and I felt awful but she paid me extra and gave me a lecture on how I should charge more when all I wanted to do was go home and wash off all the blood.

On the way home I stopped to shove a snapping turtle out of the road (again) and some Amish guy was watching me probably wondering why a small, blood covered lady was stopped in the middle of the road poking a turtle with her foot.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

a life less posted:

I have to ask... do any pictures exist of Cohen covered in flour? :3:

Sorry to hear your move has been so stressful! When we moved into our house we discovered that Ginny was terrified of stairs (she'd never had to go up or down any at our apartment, so we'd had no idea.) She also more than once traipsed through paint trays and left trails of yellow paw prints on the floor.

Hoping for the best for Artie and Sukka, too.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

On the way home I stopped to shove a snapping turtle out of the road (again) and some Amish guy was watching me probably wondering why a small, blood covered lady was stopped in the middle of the road poking a turtle with her foot.

This mental image is fantastic, thank you.

By the way, roughly where is your farm located again? I'm gonna be moving up to New England at the beginning of July, meaning I have to drive up through Ohio, and you bet your rear end I'd be thrilled to stop by on my way. :3: And I'll have Shadow, so you can meet him. If that's okay with Major. ;)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Skizzles posted:

This mental image is fantastic, thank you.

By the way, roughly where is your farm located again? I'm gonna be moving up to New England at the beginning of July, meaning I have to drive up through Ohio, and you bet your rear end I'd be thrilled to stop by on my way. :3: And I'll have Shadow, so you can meet him. If that's okay with Major. ;)

Major isn't big on guests but you're welcome to stop by and Shadow can nose around the rabbit holes. I'm right on the PA/OH border, about 40 minutes south east of Ashtabula or a hour north east of Youngstown. The closest "city" is probably Conneaut if you want to look that up. It's easy to get to off of 90 if that's the way you're going. Well worth the trip for small sheep cuddles! Although by July they won't be super small anymore.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well worth the trip for small sheep cuddles!

This is so unbelievably true. The big ones are good, too. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'll be going right smack through there on July 3rd. :dance: Sheep cuddles!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

Buddy was a little nuts when we first moved, too, and he's not quite as sensitive as an Aussie, so I can only imagine how hard the transition has to be on her. At least you know the benefits to a routine, so I'm sure you'll be fine soon. :) Congrats, again, on your home!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm moving next weekend, now I'm worried that the dogs will show their fragile :qq: EMOTIONS :qq: through making GBS threads all over my brand new place. But they will have a yard, so they should be thrilled. I hope.

My parents are visiting this weekend, and I was super worried about how my very anti-pet (especially dogs) dad would react to Pistol's over-affectionate attitude. Turns out he loves Pistol. Both my mom and I are very bewildered, we figured he'd hate him since he's repulsed by most animal contact and has often remarked on how gross dogs are. I guess it's impossible for anyone to not love the Pittledawg :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Who needs expensive toys when you have a cardboard tube to roll around?!

Yaaay! :haw:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

^^^ Throw a plastic bottle at the puppin, watch her entertain herself for like half an hour.

I'm really seeing how much impact exercise has on reactivity atm. Lola is flying into neurotic meltdowns over pretty much everything and taking longer than usual to recover from the stress.

It's irritating because the vet didn't even find anything. It seemed more like 'oh rest her and give metacam' was to appease us because we were worried.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Sukka finally learned that swimming is fun. I've tried coaxing him, but it hasn't worked. Now he all of a sudden decided it would be the bestest idea in the world to launch off of some rocks and into the water. I had to leash him to get him to come away from the water. We had a good time :)

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Glad Sukka's had fun swimming, and sorry Lola's not having fun on lead.

I took Artie for a nice stroll around the field this afternoon when he did what he never has before and dived into the brook, now this brook is little more than a big dribble of mud so he was covered, I hosed him down when we got home and he proceeded to rub in all the flower beds and dig a hole in our lawn for the first time :(

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Zenithbliss posted:

Glad Sukka's had fun swimming, and sorry Lola's not having fun on lead.

I took Artie for a nice stroll around the field this afternoon when he did what he never has before and dived into the brook, now this brook is little more than a big dribble of mud so he was covered, I hosed him down when we got home and he proceeded to rub in all the flower beds and dig a hole in our lawn for the first time :(

Looks like your cloud is turning into a raincloud.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Holy poo poo this dog is having fun. :3:

Here's Gary in much the same pose at the park today.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ugh people could let me know beforehand if there is going to be a whole group out to watch me shear. And of course because there were small children around I cut the sheep's knee and it bled more than any cut I have ever seen before. The owner is a vet and really didn't give a poo poo at all but I was kind of horrified. The sheep also managed to bolt off my stand and I had to tackle him and finish on the ground in a puddle of blood.

After all that I didn't even want to charge the lady because it was such a mess and I felt awful but she paid me extra and gave me a lecture on how I should charge more when all I wanted to do was go home and wash off all the blood.

If this situation ever comes up again and they ask, tell them you just gave birth and you're trying to push your child off to sea. It's such a good opportunity to gently caress with the Amish.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I have never seen such a mental cloud.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Someone on facebook scolded me for dragging the snapper out of the road because they are OMGDANGEROUS and eat cute baby ducks. She was acting like I released it in someone's kiddie pool instead of a drainage ditch on the side of the road. Children could be playing in the filthy drainage ditch I dropped it in! Won't someone think of the children playing in filthy drainage ditches?!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Someone on facebook scolded me for dragging the snapper out of the road because they are OMGDANGEROUS and eat cute baby ducks. She was acting like I released it in someone's kiddie pool instead of a drainage ditch on the side of the road. Children could be playing in the filthy drainage ditch I dropped it in! Won't someone think of the children playing in filthy drainage ditches?!

That is hilarious, would she have preferred if you ran it over? Does she not realize that turtles, you know, live in the wild?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

WolfensteinBag posted:

That is hilarious, would she have preferred if you ran it over? Does she not realize that turtles, you know, live in the wild?

Probably. She said she could see rescuing any other type of turtle but not snappers. We clearly must only save cute animals. I did 3 years of herpetology/conservation field research in college and most of my friends on FB are biologists in some capacity so it was really weird seeing that comment pop up.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've only ever been in a position to save one turtle from the road, and it happened to be a snapper.

There was a big female in the pond near my husband's old office complex, and she dug a nest and laid eggs one day. Half the office sat out in the parking lot and watched her build her nest, it was apparently fascinating. And then later there were bitty baby turtles :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I scooted a snapper off the road one time on my way back to work from lunch. I mentioned it to my boss and she started flipping out about salmonella.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Pretty much nothing bothers me as much as my dogs being a nuisance to others... (This is why I keep them under control by the means necessary.) We've just moved, because the place I was renting (since January...) was bought. The new place has dog runs, but also more neighbors than our previous place. I was able to get help and a van on Friday, but unfortunately everything didn't fit and we ran out of time, so I had to leave a bit of packing and the clean up for Sat/Sun. I was so exhausted on Sat, that I chose Sunday. As I knew it might take more than 10hrs to fix the place and to drive there and back, I decided to leave all the dogs outdoors, because taking them along wasn't an option as they wouldn't have fit in to the car with the stuff... TyTy, Naru and Him had been sleeping rather peacefully in the dog run for two nights and on three occasions Healy was left there while I was gone. Every time I came back the dogs were relatively calm, so I didn't expect any major issues.

Unfortunately the dogs barked enough, while I was away that the neighbors complained and for a good reason, too. When I got back the dogs started barking, when they heard my car on the public road, so they've probably barked at other cars as well and most likely at other noises and due to boredom etc. I took Healy indoors and Naru and TyTy went to sleep pretty instantaneously. However He started barking after a bit of calm towards the neighbors place. I told Him to behave and I haven't heard a beep since then as they are sleeping. I'll wake up, again, during the night to listen.

No real point in this rant. Just need to vent, I guess. I'm super annoyed at the dogs and at myself for causing trouble to new neighbors. And at the same time I don't know how I could've prevented this. With money certainly, but I don't have too much of it due to everything, so other options weren't very realistic. However had I known they'd cause such a disturbance beforehand I would've definitely found the money somewhere to pursue other options. Now I'll try to figure out what I should bake and for whom I should offer such a bribe, while begging for their forgiveness. I hope they are satisfied, if such a disturbance doesn't occur again. I certainly won't be moving in that often :P

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Well.

Well now.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Riiseli posted:

Pretty much nothing bothers me as much as my dogs being a nuisance to others... (This is why I keep them under control by the means necessary.) We've just moved, because the place I was renting (since January...) was bought. The new place has dog runs, but also more neighbors than our previous place. I was able to get help and a van on Friday, but unfortunately everything didn't fit and we ran out of time, so I had to leave a bit of packing and the clean up for Sat/Sun. I was so exhausted on Sat, that I chose Sunday. As I knew it might take more than 10hrs to fix the place and to drive there and back, I decided to leave all the dogs outdoors, because taking them along wasn't an option as they wouldn't have fit in to the car with the stuff... TyTy, Naru and Him had been sleeping rather peacefully in the dog run for two nights and on three occasions Healy was left there while I was gone. Every time I came back the dogs were relatively calm, so I didn't expect any major issues.

Unfortunately the dogs barked enough, while I was away that the neighbors complained and for a good reason, too. When I got back the dogs started barking, when they heard my car on the public road, so they've probably barked at other cars as well and most likely at other noises and due to boredom etc. I took Healy indoors and Naru and TyTy went to sleep pretty instantaneously. However He started barking after a bit of calm towards the neighbors place. I told Him to behave and I haven't heard a beep since then as they are sleeping. I'll wake up, again, during the night to listen.

No real point in this rant. Just need to vent, I guess. I'm super annoyed at the dogs and at myself for causing trouble to new neighbors. And at the same time I don't know how I could've prevented this. With money certainly, but I don't have too much of it due to everything, so other options weren't very realistic. However had I known they'd cause such a disturbance beforehand I would've definitely found the money somewhere to pursue other options. Now I'll try to figure out what I should bake and for whom I should offer such a bribe, while begging for their forgiveness. I hope they are satisfied, if such a disturbance doesn't occur again. I certainly won't be moving in that often :P

I think it'll be enough to apologize for the noise and explain to people it was a one-time thing during a hectic moving process. To me, that would show that you understand barking dogs are a nuisance and don't intend to be a problem neighbor. If only my neighbors felt this way. Instead, they leave their dogs out in their tiny backyards to bark their heads off every time a leaf falls in one of the neighboring yards.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sacramento Doggy Dash is next Saturday! Gonna be a great 5k walk, find some good dog treats, see an agility demonstration or two, pug races and just get out there in the beautiful outdoor wea

:gonk:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

I scooted a snapper off the road one time on my way back to work from lunch. I mentioned it to my boss and she started flipping out about salmonella.

I saw a little tortoise creeping along, so mellow, not far from my house a while back. He was totally right in the middle of the road. So I turned on my flashers, turned my giant loving SUV sideways to block the whole goddamned road (because people will run you over happily here) and picked the little guy up. I put him on the vacant lot next door. :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

So I got some pictures of the skeletons. I will post a link to a Google Drive folder or something, no need for a thread. The subject matter doesn't seem PI suitable considering no pets were involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

My clinic has a load of bottle babies (kittens) that have suddenly and mysteriously gone from disgusting, stinky, odd, helpless little beasts into... miniature cats? Also completely nuts.

Here's a video for proof:

The person in the background yelling "POOP" is one of the assistants trying to get one of the new bottle babies to poop

http://youtu.be/sNECrqBrXuw

• Locked thread