Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Speaking of Cecil's performance, I have to say that his work in the new episode sent absolute chills down my spine. That falsetto voice out of nowhere was hilarious.

Great job, as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So...this episode's weather was musical Angel fan fiction?

That's...oddly awesome.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I just started listening to this the other day and think it's amazing.

Definitely went to the top of my favorite podcast list. It's amazing how engrossing this is and it's all make believe (I think).
I listened to it driving through the Angeles forest last night and the deserty landscape made for a great back ground.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
NYC people: We are holding a one year anniversary party for Welcome to Night Vale on June 11, at Webster Hall. 7:30.

Featuring a LIVE and A-FEW-DAYS-EARLY version of our big anniversary episode WOW. CAPITAL LETTERS.

Also featuring other performers TBA.

Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/468084489938561

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is now on my podcast feed on my phone. And it is awesome. :getin:

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Is there a living list of the songs featured in The Weather? I'd like to start collecting these tracks because they've all been awesome.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

slightpirate posted:

Is there a living list of the songs featured in The Weather? I'd like to start collecting these tracks because they've all been awesome.

Yeah, our rss feed has a list of all songs:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/WelcomeToNightVale

There's also a fan made episode guide:

http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Welcome_to_Night_Vale_episodes

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I've got a problem. Sometimes, when I download this show through iTunes, the file does this weird thing where it'll play correctly for 10-15 minutes, and then the track will begin repeating from the beginning of the show. Deleting and downloading it again fixed the problem, but it's weird because this is the only show that does it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

I've got a problem. Sometimes, when I download this show through iTunes, the file does this weird thing where it'll play correctly for 10-15 minutes, and then the track will begin repeating from the beginning of the show. Deleting and downloading it again fixed the problem, but it's weird because this is the only show that does it.

That happens to me sometimes with other podcasts, where it will only download part of the file. I don't know what causes it. Have you contacted iTunes?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I could listen to Cecil's voice all day. Does he do other radio shows, voice acting, audiobooks etc?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Leospeare posted:

I could listen to Cecil's voice all day. Does he do other radio shows, voice acting, audiobooks etc?

He does not do any of those things, no, although I think if you wanted to hire him he'd love that.

He's a member of the NY Neo-Futurists, and can pretty regularly be seen performing live through them (if you go this weekend, in fact, you'll see him!)

Kevin, of Episode 19B, does do audio books. It's how he makes most of his living. http://www.audible.com/search/ref=search_tseft?advsearchKeywords=kevin+r+free&filterby=field-keywords&sprefix=kevin+r+free

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

maxnmona posted:

That happens to me sometimes with other podcasts, where it will only download part of the file. I don't know what causes it. Have you contacted iTunes?

Scott Johnson was just saying this was an issue with his podcasts sometimes and had to be an Apple problem because he was using multiple hosts for his feeds. Sorry I have nothing more helpful than that.

Also, I always get confused about where the desert is, because since the beginning I just assumed Night Vale was in New Jersey. :shrug:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Snowy posted:

Scott Johnson was just saying this was an issue with his podcasts sometimes and had to be an Apple problem because he was using multiple hosts for his feeds. Sorry I have nothing more helpful than that.

Also, I always get confused about where the desert is, because since the beginning I just assumed Night Vale was in New Jersey. :shrug:

For some reason I find myself most commonly picturing it in the Mojave Desert region in southeast California.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Snowy posted:

Texans always assume it's in Texas, to the point where my answer is now "I don't know where it is, but it's definitely not in Texas."

First time I've heard New Jersey though. What led you to that?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I always pictured the Mojave region too, kinda like an even weirder town than Pico Mundo where Dean Koontz odd Thomas is set. Cecil talks about it being hot and there being little water so definitely desert somewhere in the US which limits it at least a little.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Viridiant posted:

For some reason I find myself most commonly picturing it in the Mojave Desert region in southeast California.

I like to think it's the real source of the Taos hum, caused by it being in the same spatial coordinate but elsewhere according to all other dimensional reckoning. Being slightly out of phase like that causes the hum, and the dog park caused the Roswell phenomenon when a bus lost control in a storm, and slid off the road into it. The spatial skewing caused by being yanked from Night Vale to Roswell turned it into confetti and tinfoil, with the passengers also undergoing a sort of spaghettification and coming out resembling what we think were aliens. The hooded figures in the dog park were military people inspecting the site, and various passers-by/-through the crash site.

:spergin: This is what happens when I enjoy a good story. :smith:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Viridiant posted:

I've been thinking it's in New Mexico, because New Mexico is full of weird anyway.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
New Mexico was the first place I moved to when I stopped living with my dad after high school, and I remember getting a couple books of weird New Mexico stories and loving them. The Taos Hum was one of them, as well as a giant snake that some (non native, as I recall) people worshiped among other stuff. Suffice to say, yeah, the few times I'm not picturing it in the Mojave I'm picturing it in New Mexico.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack

maxnmona posted:

Texans always assume it's in Texas, to the point where my answer is now "I don't know where it is, but it's definitely not in Texas."

I live in Texas and Night Vale definitely isn't in Texas. I wish. :sigh:

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
I always figured it was just somewhere in the general Southwest. Mentally I'd always place it somewhere in Nevada, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's on some Simpsons-level poo poo where the location is always vague and contradictory. Or like on Lost and it's location is always shifting.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Is anyone else planning to go to the Nightvale live event at Webster Hall?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've been going through this podcast over the past couple of days (I'm now up to Episode 20), and I just want to say how much it fascinates and unsettles me. I imagine that Welcome to Night Vale is a lot like what a schizophrenic hears when s/he listens to the radio.

EDIT: Also, as a library student, I can appreciate that the Night Vale Librarians appear to be slavering hell-beasts.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Dirty Job posted:

Is anyone else planning to go to the Nightvale live event at Webster Hall?

Yes, please do. It should be a good time. We also have, as opening acts, the very funny Joe Rumrill (@2tonbug) and the singer-songwriter Robin Aigner (http://robinaigner.bandcamp.com/). Plus the first chance to hear the extremely eventful 25th episode.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I've been going through this podcast over the past couple of days (I'm now up to Episode 20), and I just want to say how much it fascinates and unsettles me. I imagine that Welcome to Night Vale is a lot like what a schizophrenic hears when s/he listens to the radio.

EDIT: Also, as a library student, I can appreciate that the Night Vale Librarians appear to be slavering hell-beasts.

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.

In other news, we got recommended on NPR! 45 minutes into this: http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2013/05/17/184754561/pop-culture-happy-hour-cancellation-blues-and-cultural-etiquette

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
A few pages back, someone was asking about other spooky/strange podcasts.

The Dark Verse is sorta similar. It's not a radio drama, rather it's a guy reading his Lovecraft inspired short stories. Pretty interesting.

I've been slowly catching up with Night Vale, and I'm definitely liking it. Good job!

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
I have nothing to say really except that I'm enjoying this show immensely and my only complain is that The Weather songs are so soothing that I fall asleep and have to replay the show several times to get through it. Also, would pay to listen to audiobooks read by Cecil.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Oh my gooses, I love this show. I may have let out a litte fangirl!squee at the voicemail from Carlos :swoon:

If by any chance you want/can afford to print another t-shirt design, I would kill for a Sheriff's Secret Police shirt (or at least sacrifice a chicken at my local bloodstone circle).

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

maxnmona posted:

As a Texan, I always thought it was out in the middle of no where in Nevada, near where they tested the nukes back in the day.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Dimloep posted:

Oh my gooses, I love this show. I may have let out a litte fangirl!squee at the voicemail from Carlos :swoon:

If by any chance you want/can afford to print another t-shirt design, I would kill for a Sheriff's Secret Police shirt (or at least sacrifice a chicken at my local bloodstone circle).

We've gotten requests for several different t-shirt designs, but the problem is each one would need to be designed and printed, which is expensive, so we have to stay with just the one for now and expand very slowly from there. We are currently in the talking stage about a second, non-shirt merch item.

Brief catch up of the last couple weeks.

We were plugged again by John Darnielle of the Moutain Goats.

We were recommended on NPR.

As a result of those two things, we spent a week or so on the top 20 comedy charts on iTunes, peaking at 12.

And we have the big Night Vale anniversary party coming up June 11 at Webster Hall in NYC.

Oh, and the next couple episodes will be very eventful for those looking for some big picture narrative progression in our show.

The end.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

numerrik posted:

As a Texan, I always thought it was out in the middle of no where in Nevada, near where they tested the nukes back in the day.

Same here, I imagine something like Blythe.
Night Vale is great while playing Fallout New Vegas, sometimes I can almost see it on the horizon.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 24, 2013

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I finally sat down and started listening this evening. I'm nearing the end of the second episode, and I have the biggest, dorkiest grin on my face. This is so awesome; I'm definitely looking forward to my morning commute this week (for once!).

I'm a huge fan of Lovecraft and weird fiction, so this is right up my alley. I can't wait to see what's coming up.

I think I'll definitely need to donate and get a shirt after payday.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Here's a lengthy interview with us about Welcome to Night Vale and Commonplace Books, for those who are interested in some behind-the-scenes stuff: http://www.brainwashed.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9689%3Awelcome-to-night-vale-part-one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

quote:

My relationship with Lovecraft is a complex one, as normally bad writing coupled with virulent racism would be a deal-breaker for me, but it is weirdly endearing coming from a nervous, over-mothered, reclusive eccentric. To make an analogy: a few weeks ago, I saw a homeless man wearing a black-silk kimono (with a dragon on it) happily feeding squirrels in the park. Then he abruptly turned around and angrily called a pigeon a "human being." My reaction, rather than any sort of moral discomfort, was mostly just "Ha- of course that guy said that!"

Lovecraft: A homeless man calling a pigeon a "human being", forever.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Lovecraft: A homeless man calling a pigeon a "human being", forever.

To clarify for people who didn't click the link: that's the interviewer talking, not either of us.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

To clarify for people who didn't click the link: that's the interviewer talking, not either of us.

Yeah, sorry. I like that your response is flat out "I don't like Lovecraft." I just really like that visual of a homeless man in a kimono randomly calling a pigeon "human being."

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

People who like Night Vale: my co-writer Jeffrey Cranor has a show he co-wrote and directed opening tonight at Incubator Arts Project in NYC. It's called VULTURE WALLY and it has a lot of the same strange, dark sensibility as Night Vale. It runs until June 9. Check it out maybe. http://www.incubatorarts.org

It's also a Time Out critic's pick if that helps any. http://www.timeout.com/newyork/dance/jillian-sweeney

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
I'd just like to thank you guys for making my daily commute enjoyably bizarre and Lovecraftian. :)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey guys, where's 24?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Dickeye posted:

Hey guys, where's 24?

Jeffrey is the uploader, and he had his NYC show open last night, so he probably just didn't get to it. It should be up soon.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

It's up, I love the Brownstone Spire segment. And the weather caught me off guard, can't decide if I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Woebin posted:

It's up, I love the Brownstone Spire segment. And the weather caught me off guard, can't decide if I liked it.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. But if you're on the fence, seeing them do it live might tip you over to the positive side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDcG3zAEI