Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Eegah posted:

Truth. I so regret first getting the 50mm that won't autofocus, not because of the 100 bucks I wasted but because that's a whole year during which I could have gotten such better shots.

I swear the plastic 'clips' that come with Nikons neckstraps are designed to come off and break your camera. Need to remember to replace them with safety pins when I get home but its been one close call too many.

I rocked the 50mm for 10 years. Bought it with my N80 for 500 bux :monocle:. It is a great lens and even autofocuses with my D200, it is just a little too tight. I agree about the straps, I'm using a Minolta branded one from a 70's XE-7. I hope to buy a better replacement soon, this one is a little too .. turquoise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

copen posted:

New lens day :yotj:

Epic lens! Congrats x

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Stop using branded straps and buy some cool straps with personality.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

copen posted:

I demand you reshoot this with both lens caps off and the aperture lever jammed wide open with some putty or something.

I still have that worthless little lens hood. Almost 4 years!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Musket posted:

It's what came in the box :shobon:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Eegah posted:

It's what came in the box :shobon:

Dont let that stop you from gettin a cool one :snoop: Unless you are fine with being an unpaid walking billboard :smugdog:

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Hey at least I'm a walking shill for a company that no longer exists :d

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Musket posted:

Luma Loop erey day!

:smug: because they're ultra exclusive because black rapid are litigious bastards and think their inferior strap is better

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

copen posted:

Hey at least I'm a walking shill for a company that no longer exists :d

Pentax user, sighted.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

copen posted:

I wish I would have gotten the 35 instead of the 50. :smith:

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I wish I had a Pentax. This is the shirt I'm wearing today.

[Mod edit: MY loving POOR GOD drat TABLES]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 31, 2013

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I wish I would have gotten the 35 instead of the 50. :smith:

The only true answer is to own both.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

copen posted:

The only true answer is to own both.

Truth right here. D5100 + 35/1.8 + 50/1.8 and I'm set.

I carry around my kit and a 55-300 lens they talked me into buying when I got the body, but I never use them.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
My walk around is 18-55 and 135 DC, no need for anything else really. Once in awhile i toss a 50mm f2 in the bag.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Musket posted:

Pentax user, sighted.

Can't be true, there are no pentax users

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Musket posted:

My walk around is 18-55 and 135 DC, no need for anything else really. Once in awhile i toss a 50mm f2 in the bag.

I had an order on adorama for a 135 DC about 2 years ago that never got fulfilled. :( Tell me how much you love it.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Dren posted:

I had an order on adorama for a 135 DC about 2 years ago that never got fulfilled. :( Tell me how much you love it.

I love it. A lot. Lately though ive been ignoring the DC and using mostly as a tele. I dont do many portraits these days.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Musket posted:

I love it. A lot. Lately though ive been ignoring the DC and using mostly as a tele. I dont do many portraits these days.

Do you have any sample portraits with it? I ended up getting a sigma 50-150 instead. It's a great lens but man I wanted that 135. That lens is an old dream, though. These days when I get my gear lust on I lust for a great mirrorless system.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Musket posted:

I got this one for Christmas and love it http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-sling-strap-for-men/

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Oh man this looks great. :ohdear:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up one of those. The materials are nice and I think it's well engineered, but I prefer BlackRapid's system in most situations and wish I would have just gotten another one of those instead.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I have a friend with a D3000 and a kit lens. What would be a good next lens purchase for her? If she had a Canon, I'd tell her to get a nifty fifty and go to town, is there a Nikon equivalent to that? She has a tight budget, would any older manual focus lenses be good?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bubbacub posted:

I have a friend with a D3000 and a kit lens. What would be a good next lens purchase for her? If she had a Canon, I'd tell her to get a nifty fifty and go to town, is there a Nikon equivalent to that? She has a tight budget, would any older manual focus lenses be good?

Old manual lenses won't meter on her camera, she'll have to guess at the exposure/use trial and error.

The nikon 35/1.8G costs a little bit more than the nifty 50, but it's arguably a better focal length for crop sensors, and better made to boot. That's what i'd look for.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

An old 20mm or 24mm AI can be okay for walking around (set it to f/8 or f/11, focus at 2 or 3 m, and you won't need to touch the focus ring again), and it will make you better at guessing exposures.

But yes get that 35/1.8 AF-S.

Or consider a cheap 50-200mm zoom, Sigma or Tamron should be fine for that too.

But a wide-ish AI lens in decent shape, as I started out with, can easily be more costly than the other two from new.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Your friend should get the 35mm f/1.8G. It is also the answer to if I could only have 1 dx lens.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Consider nothing other than 35/1.8. Internet has spoken.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

The nikon 35/1.8G costs a little bit more than the nifty 50, but it's arguably a better focal length for crop sensors, and better made to boot. That's what i'd look for.
Do this. You can get her something older, meter less and manual focus, but it'll just sit on a shelf.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hello thread. I'm finally looking at picking up my own DSLR after using my brother's older Nikon for awhile. I've read through the OP here as well as the 'babby's first dslr' thread and was hoping to ask some more detailed questions here.

I'm planning on buying a Nikon body (love the way it feels to me) + a pair of lenses (likely a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and a 35mm or 50mm) used, most likely from KEH. I'm looking for a model that will allow me to grow as a user, as well as allow decent backwards compatibility for lenses etc. I've seen several D80's (a D7000 is more than I'd like to spend) on KEH, the best condition one is 'Like New' and is $265. Are there any other bodies worth considering in this range of $2-400? I will be shooting mainly cars and architecture in a variety of lighting conditions (very often dark) and don't care too much about having 1080p video. I would much rather spend a little more on a lens than buy a newer camera with features I won't use for years.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

VelociBacon posted:

Hello thread. I'm finally looking at picking up my own DSLR after using my brother's older Nikon for awhile. I've read through the OP here as well as the 'babby's first dslr' thread and was hoping to ask some more detailed questions here.

I'm planning on buying a Nikon body (love the way it feels to me) + a pair of lenses (likely a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and a 35mm or 50mm) used, most likely from KEH. I'm looking for a model that will allow me to grow as a user, as well as allow decent backwards compatibility for lenses etc. I've seen several D80's (a D7000 is more than I'd like to spend) on KEH, the best condition one is 'Like New' and is $265. Are there any other bodies worth considering in this range of $2-400? I will be shooting mainly cars and architecture in a variety of lighting conditions (very often dark) and don't care too much about having 1080p video. I would much rather spend a little more on a lens than buy a newer camera with features I won't use for years.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

If you want something with the D80's sensor that also happens to kick way more rear end, get a D200, I honestly doubt they even cost more.

If you're willing to spend a tiny bit more you could probably get a D90 or something.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd got for a D90 yeah.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

If you want something with the D80's sensor that also happens to kick way more rear end, get a D200, I honestly doubt they even cost more.

If you're willing to spend a tiny bit more you could probably get a D90 or something.

The D200 is actually in the same price range - a "Like-New" for $320. The D90's were all at least $100 more and not in as good condition. I don't think I'd utilize the extra features from the D90.

I went ahead and ordered that like-new D200. Thanks for the help!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
While both the 50 and especially the 35 are good lens choices, if I was just starting out and had a lens with nice optics like the tamron 17-50, I don't think it would make sense to get a prime within that same focal range. It's money that could be better spent on a body with a nicer sensor for better ISO performance, but since you already went with a D200, I'd maybe use it to buy a decent tripod instead? You mentioned shooting at night, so it seems like you'll definitely need one. Try for something like a monfrotto with a ball head.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The d7k sensor is so good. I haven't done the math but I imagine a used d7k + 35 1.8 isn't too far off your budget. Unless you HAVE to have the 2.8 (you don't if you have the nicer sensor) get a secondhand 18-55 kit lens and stop it down a bit if you really need those focal lengths. The better AF, better sensor performance, and 100% viewfinder on the d7k are so good. Those are the features that will really set it apart for you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

RangerScum posted:

While both the 50 and especially the 35 are good lens choices, if I was just starting out and had a lens with nice optics like the tamron 17-50, I don't think it would make sense to get a prime within that same focal range. It's money that could be better spent on a body with a nicer sensor for better ISO performance, but since you already went with a D200, I'd maybe use it to buy a decent tripod instead? You mentioned shooting at night, so it seems like you'll definitely need one. Try for something like a monfrotto with a ball head.

I ended up getting 18-55 (the kit lens from the d80 i think) and 55-200 nikkor lenses, I didn't realize how expensive the tamron glass would be. These should be enough IMO to at least get me started, and once I learn enough to notice the difference a high end glass can make I'll also have a better idea which one I want.

Tripod is definitely a good idea, I can borrow a couple different ones from a friend indefinitely to see what I like. Is a polarizing filter a good idea for shooting cars? I read somewhere in this subforum that it can help with reflective surfaces.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I ended up getting 18-55 (the kit lens from the d80 i think) and 55-200 nikkor lenses, I didn't realize how expensive the tamron glass would be. These should be enough IMO to at least get me started, and once I learn enough to notice the difference a high end glass can make I'll also have a better idea which one I want.

Tripod is definitely a good idea, I can borrow a couple different ones from a friend indefinitely to see what I like. Is a polarizing filter a good idea for shooting cars? I read somewhere in this subforum that it can help with reflective surfaces.

I happen to have a 17-50 Tamron lens for sale in the used gear thread. I have been known to trade and accept some rather lowball offers. Its miles ahead of that kit lens you have in terms of IQ and the constant aperture is a godsend in a lot of situations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Did you at least get the newer 18-55 with vr?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dren posted:

Did you at least get the newer 18-55 with vr?

Yep

Edit: I got this 18-55 and this 55-200.

I could always return the D200 and the telephoto lens and grab the D7k. I'm tempted now.

Musket posted:

I happen to have a 17-50 Tamron lens for sale in the used gear thread. I have been known to trade and accept some rather lowball offers. Its miles ahead of that kit lens you have in terms of IQ and the constant aperture is a godsend in a lot of situations.

Going to send an email to you in a sec.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 3, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The most important part of the photography investment is not the camera body, its the lenses/glass.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Agreed D200 is more than enough camera to get going. Spend the extra 400 bucks on a 35mm 1.8(200 bux) edit: and an Sb-600 from keh. I still use my D200 for everything digital and rarely run into its limitations (lol ISO 1600)

copen fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flotzilla
May 3, 2003
Pride of the Peaches
So I just purchased a factory-refurbished Nikon D7000 and a new 35mm f/1.8G from Cameta that arrived a few days ago. When shooting this weekend, I noticed a dark smudge in some photos that I took stopped down below f/5 or so that I didn't notice in earlier shots with the aperture more open. It's always in the same place so I'm assuming it's something on the sensor? I've tried using the menu option to clean the sensor with no luck of removing it. I only have the one lens so I can't try different lenses but if I need to test more to diagnose the problem, I can go borrow a lens from a friend to see if it has the same issue.

Here's a sky shot I did at f/22 to try to see where the spots were. You can see a very large black spot surrounded by a few softer, smaller spots in the top left.

What's the proper way to handle this? I'd really rather not return the camera if it's not necessary, but I also don't want to have to pay to have the sensor cleaned.

Flotzilla fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 3, 2013