Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

madkapitolist posted:

For some reason I can't install the latest cm10.1 nightly for my att galaxy s3, I cant only get up to RC2 (cm-10.1.0-RC2-d2att.zip ), I am getting status 7 errors in TWRP with anything newer than that. I even installed the latest gapps from goo.im. Any suggestions?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You have to update the firmware on your device because you're still on ICS firmware. CM10.1 made it mandatory because I guess the old firmware breaks poo poo. You'll have to browse around XDA for the firmware or flash back to stock.

Can I use twrp to flash back to stock or do I have to go back on odin?

edit: Nvm odin is needed, I found the xda post for the recovery, hotfile is so slow...

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Lite (free) version of Light Flow supports less apps than the paid version, maybe you have the wrong one installed?

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
No, it's definitely the paid version. gently caress it, I'm just going to flash a different ROM onto here sometime tomorrow.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

As for Light Flow, the missing apps are... everything besides the stock SMS/MMS/e-mail/calendar/etc stuff.
What are some of the everything? I'll admit I only used LightFlow for Talk, Twitter, SMS, Calendar, and Phone but if they were there before there's no reason they wouldn't be there now.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I can't get the latest CM 10.1 nightly (or RC2 even) to connect via BT to the headunit in my car. Stock 4.2.2 works fine.

Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Can I remove the bluetooth drivers, or whatever, from stock 4.2.2 and roll my own CM10.1 build?

This is on a Nexus 4.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I just switched my Galaxy S3
Which model?

The lowest volume in CM sounds louder than the highest in the stock ROM
Try toggling the option on, then off again. If you haven't also try changing the volume during a call. There was a past AOSP bug where call volume would reset to default (very high) when actually on the lowest setting at the start of a call.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Got my hands on a HTC One this week, consensus ROM here seems to be TrickDroid I see. On my last phone I enjoyed CM 10.1 nightlies but there's a lot about this iteration of Sense that I'm liking. I can't decide between Android Revolution and Trickdroid, but only really because I can't see a real difference.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Tychtrip posted:

Got my hands on a HTC One this week, consensus ROM here seems to be TrickDroid I see. On my last phone I enjoyed CM 10.1 nightlies but there's a lot about this iteration of Sense that I'm liking. I can't decide between Android Revolution and Trickdroid, but only really because I can't see a real difference.

They're all pretty similar. I use ARHD, and it's completely stable with a few features I like(quick settings and tethering). Pretty much all of them have feature parity.

There's one that's intriguing for AT&T called CleanROM Developer Edition, which is a stripped down Sense ROM with all AOSP apps except the camera, gallery, contacts, and a couple others. I'll probably try it out later today when I'm done working just to see how it is.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

AppleCobbler posted:

They're all pretty similar. I use ARHD, and it's completely stable with a few features I like(quick settings and tethering). Pretty much all of them have feature parity.

There's one that's intriguing for AT&T called CleanROM Developer Edition, which is a stripped down Sense ROM with all AOSP apps except the camera, gallery, contacts, and a couple others. I'll probably try it out later today when I'm done working just to see how it is.

Awesome. I'm in that phase of a new phone where I'm just loving around with it constantly so I'll give ARHD a go at some point I imagine. Just installing TrickDroid, I'll see how that is first.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I'm using Renovate on my HTC One. Highly recommended.

quote:

We are using google code to host our ROM project. This means you can
stay up to date with the ROM change by change. If you can't wait for the official
releases this lets you download the rom the minute we make a change to it.
It also stops you needing to download the full 800mb ROM every time, as it
downloads only the changed files for that particular revision.

I also like that it offers an "Update only" option in AROMA so you can upgrade the rom without losing any customizations.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 30, 2013

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

In order to root a Sprint Galaxy S2 can I follow anything in the old OP or can someone tell me where to look for info? A lot I find online are a few years old and I'm not sure if they are dated.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CM10.1 RC3 is out.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

LastInLine posted:

CM10.1 RC3 is out.

did they fix the in-call screen?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

did they fix the in-call screen?
What was the problem with it?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

LastInLine posted:

What was the problem with it?

It would disappear during a call and no way to bring it back

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

It would disappear during a call and no way to bring it back
Huh, I've never had that problem. Been using CM10.1 for a while now and made plenty of calls too. Maybe it's device-specific? I'm on a Galaxy Nexus.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Had that problem on the Docomo S3a. Plus the buttons wouldn't work for automated menus and I have a lot of problems hanging up -- sometimes it just doesn't work.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

CM10.1 RC3 is out.
As a warning, RC3 is botched for non-Qualcomm devices. It's a libm optimization for Krait that doesn't play well with others.

It's not fatal, buf if you have no particular compelling reason to update to RC3 might want to sit this one out.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The issue I've seen with CM since 5/17, including RC3, is that the changes they made to the led don't play well with light flow. I get the default white a lot, and it picks up the color after screen on/off cycling.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Does this happen for anyone else?

I make a nandroid backup in CWM and copy it to my pc.
I wiped device to test out another rom but didn't like it so I copy the nandroid back to /mnt/shell/emulated/clockworkmod/backups and do the restore.

The restore goes through fine but when connecting phone to pc and viewing internal storage, all of the default folders like DCIM, downloads, Pictures etc are not at the root - they're in another folder called "0". Root instead hs a bunch of other folders I don't normally see in Internal Storage.

This happens with every nandroid backup since 6.3.0.1 and whilst the phone workls fine, I can't stand the fact the folder structure is now mismatched to how it is after a clean flash :argh:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

This theme: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2303318

is amazing on TrickDroid/Renovate for HTC One :swoon: so dark and so blue.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

Does this happen for anyone else?

I make a nandroid backup in CWM and copy it to my pc.
I wiped device to test out another rom but didn't like it so I copy the nandroid back to /mnt/shell/emulated/clockworkmod/backups and do the restore.

The restore goes through fine but when connecting phone to pc and viewing internal storage, all of the default folders like DCIM, downloads, Pictures etc are not at the root - they're in another folder called "0". Root instead hs a bunch of other folders I don't normally see in Internal Storage.

This happens with every nandroid backup since 6.3.0.1 and whilst the phone workls fine, I can't stand the fact the folder structure is now mismatched to how it is after a clean flash :argh:
Your recovery is out of date. Update it to 3.0.2.3 I think (I don't remember your device).

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

HTC One. 6.0.3.1 is the latest I can find :/

(I meant 6.0.3.1 in my post above, btw)

http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

HTC One. 6.0.3.1 is the latest I can find :/

(I meant 6.0.3.1 in my post above, btw)

http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager
It might be an HTC bug, but you can build the most recent CWR here. (The One is the M7 if you weren't aware.)

Why are you moving the backup off the phone though? You shouldn't have to do that.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

LastInLine posted:

It might be an HTC bug, but you can build the most recent CWR here. (The One is the M7 if you weren't aware.)

Why are you moving the backup off the phone though? You shouldn't have to do that.

Because I format every partition....which may have something to do with my problem

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

Because I format every partition....which may have something to do with my problem
Is there a reason? You only have to wipe /system and /data to change ROMs. The cache and Dalvik will automatically rebuild and there's absolutely no reason to wipe your internal storage ever.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Because I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to doing things "clean".

I'll stop doing it.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Keep an eye out on the One development threads, there's a leaked build of 4.2.2 out that the guy from ARHD is working out, May be available today.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Is there a "baby's first root" guide anywhere that walks me through the steps? I've found some info on XDA but it took considerable searching and was of questionable usefulness since I still dont know what half the terms mean. "Open the bootloader". Yeah? How?

I have a TF700 with about a years worth of apps and data on it that I would like to keep. Is there a way to root it and have all this restored when I'm done? How about not wiping it at all? How?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As a warning, RC3 is botched for non-Qualcomm devices. It's a libm optimization for Krait that doesn't play well with others.

It's not fatal, buf if you have no particular compelling reason to update to RC3 might want to sit this one out.

Aaaaaaaaaand RC4 is now out because of it.

CyanogenMod .1 never change. :allears:

Anyone keeping currect with PA HALO? I test drove it back on Alpha 2 and it was pretty neat (The broken English is even starting to get phased out!) but really rough around the edges. I'd like to try it again in a more complete state but I'm hesitant to jump ship.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Anyone keeping currect with PA HALO? I test drove it back on Alpha 2 and it was pretty neat (The broken English is even starting to get phased out!) but really rough around the edges. I'd like to try it again in a more complete state but I'm hesitant to jump ship.
Yeah I keep getting tempted to try this again but the last time I tried it was a complete disaster.

I wish it would just install and then let you decide which apps to change to other layouts. It randomly changed a bunch of my apps to tablet or phablet mode and I could't find any simple way to just put them all back to default.

What I want from PA is the nice tweaks like Halo, plus the option to change layouts for apps that have weird defaults (especially on the N7).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Halp. I rooted my first-gen Kindle Fire to Ice Cream Sandwich a year or so ago. I stopped using the KF because it was so heavy. I bought a new Windows 7 Home laptop, one that had never had the official Kindle Fire device driver, and reflashed the Fire to Jelly Bean. Then I discovered I can't mount the Fire because I don't have the Kindle Fire device driver.

I can't get a working Windows 7 device driver for the Kindle Fire. Amazon doesn't provide a separate download -- the first time you plug in a KF (running the original OS, obviously) it installs the driver. I've installed Java 6 and the ADT bundle, because there's supposed to be an appropriate USB device driver there. See Android docs. Unfortunately, there's a known bug in the SDK installation that's been there for three years now.

I've been installing and uninstalling and reinstalling things for a day and a half now. Before I go any further down the wormhole, does anybody know a source to download the Amazon Kindle Fire device driver? From the heart of Hell I weep at thee.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
A quick googling found this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2192818

It has drivers coupled with it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

Yeah I keep getting tempted to try this again but the last time I tried it was a complete disaster.

I wish it would just install and then let you decide which apps to change to other layouts. It randomly changed a bunch of my apps to tablet or phablet mode and I could't find any simple way to just put them all back to default.

What I want from PA is the nice tweaks like Halo, plus the option to change layouts for apps that have weird defaults (especially on the N7).

The newest PA's have a much better DPI app that has base settings for all apps, Phone/Phablet/Tablet. It still does what it wants to the first time you boot it but the option to make a sweeping change is there now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'd run the KFU installer, but it turned out I had an out-of-date version. Now I'm working through the troubleshooting guide here to figure out why it still isn't mounting. I may yet have to create a Linux USB boot stick and run soupkit.

Sigh.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Hey, I'm interested in rooting my HTC One for playing around with customization and root-only apps, but I've not waded into rooting phones before. I have some experience with this kind of thing, having hacked my PSP years ago, but this scene seems much more complicated.

I'm reading that HTC provides an official way to unlock the bootloader. Is this what I'm looking for, or is it just a beginning step to being able to run unofficial apps.

edit: I just found a really good guide (http://www.htconeroot.com)

grieving for Gandalf fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 2, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

kmcormick9 posted:

Is there a "baby's first root" guide anywhere that walks me through the steps? I've found some info on XDA but it took considerable searching and was of questionable usefulness since I still dont know what half the terms mean. "Open the bootloader". Yeah? How?

I have a TF700 with about a years worth of apps and data on it that I would like to keep. Is there a way to root it and have all this restored when I'm done? How about not wiping it at all? How?

What software version do you have?

It should be in System Settings - About - Software Information - Android Version

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Holy COW.
Getting a Kindle Fire first-gen to support ADB on Cyanogenmod 10.1 or later is a nightmare and a half.

1. Install drivers -- see instructions at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2179748 . On Windows 8, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2185402
2. On Kindle, enable developer settings: go into About Tablet and tap "Build Number" 4 times in succession rapidly.
3. On Kindle, go to Settings menu and click "{} Developer Options"
4. Under Developer Options, click "Android Debugging".
5. On laptop, wait for messages about "Installing drivers" to complete.
6. Turn Kindle on again. "Allow USB Debugging?" pop-up appears. Click OK.

And now, lucky owner, you can run ADB.

e: oh, to Hell with the syntax.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
That's... really not that complicated at all. The only annoying thing is having to tap "Build Number" so many times but that's inherent in all 4.2+ ROMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah, that's basically SOP for any Android device. The only wildcard is getting the drivers installed, and even that's only an issue in Windows.