Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Bought the game for the main reason of playing with the GoT mod, can't. Instead, learning to play by slowly (very, very slowly) form and expand the Kingdom of Ireland. My current petty king married a duchess of Moray, and it seems like she's stayed in Scotland to rule over her county. As a result, we haven't produced any heirs to Moray, and the princess of the region is set to inherit. How do I force her to come to court (the option isn't on her diplomacy screen) so we can make some heirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

quiggy posted:

Oh what the gently caress. In my current game I'm trying to destabilize Lotharingia in order to take the last holy site the Norse religion is missing, so I figured I'd go and try to kill the king. His name is King Louis II 'the Cruel' of Lotharingia, so I figured this should be easy to find backers for my plot, but no. Despite being a cruel depressed homosexual kinslayer, he is loved by all of his vassals except one, the mayor of a small city no one gives a poo poo about. What the gently caress Crusader Kings :negative:

Crushed A Major Revolt

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

ButWhatIf posted:

Bought the game for the main reason of playing with the GoT mod, can't. Instead, learning to play by slowly (very, very slowly) form and expand the Kingdom of Ireland. My current petty king married a duchess of Moray, and it seems like she's stayed in Scotland to rule over her county. As a result, we haven't produced any heirs to Moray, and the princess of the region is set to inherit. How do I force her to come to court (the option isn't on her diplomacy screen) so we can make some heirs?

Don't need to be in the same court to produce babies.

...Yeah, bit weird but true.

How old is the duchess? She might be infertile. Or you could be unlucky.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Rejected Fate posted:

Don't need to be in the same court to produce babies.

...Yeah, bit weird but true.

How old is the duchess? She might be infertile. Or you could be unlucky.

Married her at 19, now she's 23. Got a few more years left on her, I guess, but my character is now 53 and his father died at 57, so I'm getting a little antsy. It doesn't matter so much for the Ireland inheritance - I've already got an adult heir to that who has a son of his own now - but it'd be a shame since we could easily take a sizable bite out of Scotland with no real effort.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Dauntasa posted:

So, what makes your sons go off and join the Varangians? I've heard people talk about it happening but do they just decide to go and do it on their own?

One of my sons went off and joined them after asking me for a title and getting shot down. Not sure if my refusal was related to him running off, though. I just got an event asking for permission to go join up. Letting them go gets you some prestige, too. Now I have a well-statted blind eunuch of a son who won't be producing any claimants to trouble my real heirs.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Holy Hel, what's the deal with the kind of followers some landless chump is able to find?

Some homeless guy wants to take one of my county's, just because, I see he brought a big army with him so I call in some mercenaries to now outnumber him 5-2, with a completely stacked frontline of 20+ martial brick shithouses with good traits. This guy proceeds to kick my teeth in, wiping out more than half my guys while taking like no damage himself.

What.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
I may be late on this, but ever since TOG came out I haven't been able to load vanilla CK2 with CK2+ 1.33.25, it just hangs at the Initialising Map Logic stage. If I don't load CK2+, it doesn't work with my save.

I presume I have to wait on a CK2+ patch or something? Or is there another way around this?

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 2, 2013

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Canadian Surf Club posted:

I may be late on this, but ever since TOG came out I haven't been able to load vanilla CK2 with CK2+ 1.33.25, it just hangs at the Initialising Map Logic stage. If I don't load CK2+, it doesn't work with my save.

I presume I have to wait on a CK2+ patch or something? Or is there another way around this?

Yep, wait for Wiz.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
So at one point in my game my Scandanavian emperor died and the title went to his tiny babby. Pretty much all of my vassals forced me to give the throne over to a cousin. 20-30 years later, a faction declared war to reinstate me as emperor. There didn't seem to be a way to join their war since technically they're my enemies. The only thing I could figure out to do was fight an independence war, and then after I won it I joined the succession war to reinstate myself. Was there an easier way to do this?

Raiding was insanely overpowered at that point since I could roll with a 10k strong retinue and siege everything in Italy. It was a constant stream of like 2k gold per trip, and to speed things up I conquered Venice to use as an unloaded base. I was building up all the empty holding slots in my counties in my demense non-stop.

Eventually my vassals grew too powerful though and decided to kill the golden goose by conquering more or less all of Italy.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I can't tell if this is a bug or not.

So I'm playing Great Moravia and I get Hungary invading the rest of their kingdom that I have - their armies are huge, I don't have a chance of beating them.

So I decide to surrender automatically.

They won't let me because they're winning the war!

I.... what?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The AI will do that during invasions, it's because they will get more land if they keep fighting since they'll get all the territory they occupy.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 2, 2013

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Namarrgon posted:

I have one for you;

Some upload site google spat out.

It triggers with "/event 1000000" but not on it's own. Currently it costs a major prestige and piety hit to use but that's fairly trivial to take out, just dig around in the .txt file.

e. didn't make it myself, but I couldn't find the original author any more and I changed basically everything except the immortality icon.

I tried typing /event 1000000 into the console and nothing happened. I copied the files from the download into the /steamapps/common/crusader kings ii/ folder where they seemed to go, but its giving me an error.

e: and the Immortal trait is selected from the Ruler Designer, but that command gives an error

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
So, it's been forever since I've played games on my PC, but you guys got me wanting this game. Is there a way to test my system requirements?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

HenessyHero posted:

Some homeless guy wants to take one of my county's, just because, I see he brought a big army with him so I call in some mercenaries to now outnumber him 5-2, with a completely stacked frontline of 20+ martial brick shithouses with good traits. This guy proceeds to kick my teeth in, wiping out more than half my guys while taking like no damage himself.
Speaking of, does anyone know what changes Paradox have actually made to the battle system? Combat seems rather different, as do levy sizes.

Do Norse rulers get a levy bonus? I feel like there's more doomstackery going on in the 9th century.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Qwo posted:

Speaking of, does anyone know what changes Paradox have actually made to the battle system? Combat seems rather different, as do levy sizes.

Do Norse rulers get a levy bonus? I feel like there's more doomstackery going on in the 9th century.

Norse religion gives 30% bonus to levy size.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Really enjoying this new DLC. I've tried starting out as a count-level viking and just raid my way up the hierarchy, and within a hundred years I was invading the Byzantium Empire with wast hordes of pagan adventurers and mercenaries. Good times were had for all.

I had to murder a bunch of my sons to keep it from disintegrating within the first generation, though. I'm guessing I'll have to convert to Orthodoxy to gain any kind of stable inheritance laws.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

Add a major river entry to adjacencies.csv and default.map, delete your \map\ cache and try it again.
In the words of one argent Atelerix albiventris, it's no use. I added four new sea provinces (making max_provinces = 13) and defined one river province. This is what the province map looks like now (e: the river province is the Lower Mississippi, with a color nearly black). I also realized I made a mistake rendering the world_height_map, telling crazybump to render it vertical and horizontal texture wraps, so I redid it without the wraps so it now looks like this. Nonetheless, the game still crashes at Calculating Paths if I tell it to have another go with the mod, even after clearing out the cache.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 2, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Grem posted:

So, it's been forever since I've played games on my PC, but you guys got me wanting this game. Is there a way to test my system requirements?

Can you run it.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Merchant republics seem kind of broken to me. I played as Venice. Thanks to clever strategy, my own personal holdings had the same income as the entire state. I got a plot to become the king of Venice, which I succesfully executed. I declared war, easily won. Game over. What? No! I am the King of Venice now, let me be king!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Can you run it.

I'd have to buy it first, right?

edit: NM I'm an idiot, found the demo

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Diogines posted:

Merchant republics seem kind of broken to me. I played as Venice. Thanks to clever strategy, my own personal holdings had the same income as the entire state. I got a plot to become the king of Venice, which I succesfully executed. I declared war, easily won. Game over. What? No! I am the King of Venice now, let me be king!

How do you get that plot to become king?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Grem posted:

I'd have to buy it first, right?

edit: NM I'm an idiot, found the demo

Its a website.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Has anyone played the "Winter King" mod? I have been holding off on buying TOG until the modding scene caught up with it, but now I see that Winter King and VIET have comparability patches out. I already like VIET, but I never got around to playing the king.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Belasarius posted:

How do you get that plot to become king?

Personal Ambition for the head of my family. I got backers to join the plot, launched it, success. War, victory, instant game over because Venice is no longer a merchant republic.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Argh, PC gamers! Thanks

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

KoldPT posted:

Gah, I feel like playing the GOT mod, but CK2 auto-updated... drat you Gaben!

It didn't look like anyone had answered this yet, so if you right click on your game in the Steam Library, and go to the Betas tab, you can choose the old 1.09 patch.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

So is there any way to succeed as one of the Zoroastrian rulers without just immediately converting? It seems like even if you're lucky enough to survive the first five years without being holy-warred to death and get a decent kingdom together (as happened in one of my games), you're just on borrowed time until the incredibly powerful Abbasids decide to stick 60000 troops down your throat.

So, since this post I've managed to do a bit better.

His mom/aunt/sister-in-law did 90% of the work. Seems unfair that he gets to be the Messiah just because he took the last couple counties to finish the reconquest after she kicked it.

I found my secret to success was putting my chancellor on permanent "Kiss the Caliph's rear end" duty to keep him liking me too much to join my enemies as I retook Persia. Once I had most of the Empire I just had to wait until his levies were low due to a war. Defeating him once kept gave his vassals the balls to revolt so I could keep taking small chunks of his land.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Has anyone played the "Winter King" mod? I have been holding off on buying TOG until the modding scene caught up with it, but now I see that Winter King and VIET have comparability patches out. I already like VIET, but I never got around to playing the king.

I've played it, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. You can legitimize Arthur Pendragon and go off uniting Britain as him, in the name of Christ. Or try to remake a Roman Empire based in Britain. Or you can play as a Pict and defend Britain against all the foreigners.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Agnostalgia posted:

So, since this post I've managed to do a bit better.

His mom/aunt/sister-in-law did 90% of the work. Seems unfair that he gets to be the Messiah just because he took the last couple counties to finish the reconquest after she kicked it.

I found my secret to success was putting my chancellor on permanent "Kiss the Caliph's rear end" duty to keep him liking me too much to join my enemies as I retook Persia. Once I had most of the Empire I just had to wait until his levies were low due to a war. Defeating him once kept gave his vassals the balls to revolt so I could keep taking small chunks of his land.

Annoyingly, I've had the Caliph invasion me out of existence even while at +100 approval. Shrug.

And of course, the games where the Abbasids have lots of internal revolts ALWAYS are the ones where I end up dying very early on because of like 3 other kingdoms launching invasions/holy wars on me simultaneously.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
My only son asked to join the Varangians, and I figured he would get some good fighting experience and such, plus he has a son so if things went wrong I would still have a male heir. But the worst has happened. Its not that he died, its much worse. He has turned Orthodox.

I feel so betrayed. I was going to hold a Blot just for you. :(

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Useless Shotgun posted:

My only son asked to join the Varangians, and I figured he would get some good fighting experience and such, plus he has a son so if things went wrong I would still have a male heir. But the worst has happened. Its not that he died, its much worse. He has turned Orthodox.

Oh you can still hold a blot for him.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Useless Shotgun posted:

My heir had his eyes put out and his nuts chopped off.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
What does taking a concubine do?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gets you laid.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
You get presige based on their former rank and can produce legitimate children that get a -1 diplomacy trait.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SERPUS posted:

It basically gives you an extra wife, with no alliance, and all the children produced having a slight penalty to their diplomacy thanks to being born of a concubine.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SERPUS posted:

Lets you not have to murder your wife after the age of 40.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

I finished a 1/3-Av Telemark, 2/3-observer game and got some sorta entertaining results by the end. I made a Photobucket album for the screenshots.
Link:

:siren::siren: ALERT HORRIBLE BORDERS :siren::siren: http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/brocretin/library/CK2%20Telemark

Mengucek is some Turkish commoner who somehow succeeded in dethroning Seljuk's son and taking over the entire sultanate, which makes him pretty loving :black101: by my standards. Also, the auto-generation messed up (or worked as intended) and named his dynasty after him, hence the Mengucekids.

Nothing Pope-John-level outstanding in there, but I thought y'all might find it entertaining. Also, it shows how batshit the extra 200 years and super pagans make the end game. No super powers emerged that weren't hordes except for (unsurprisingly) Af Ivar Scotland and (surprisingly) the Grand Principality of Italia. Mainstream Catholicism completely disappeared, which isn't really surprising based on the thread.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
:siren: I just became anti-pope (????????) and I'm still able to play, what the gently caress :siren: I'm the Emperor of the HRE. Did I get a claim on the Papal States?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Sometimes, I feel like culture flipping is the greatest thing ever. Yet, only now do I realise I am the turks.

• Locked thread