Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Crystael posted:

Please could someone recommend some backup software to me? I need something that will allow me to backup about 500GB of files and folders (which I need to be able to specify) to an external USB 3.0 drive and, most importantly, will sync these files and folders both on demand and at regular intervals. I don't need to make a disk image or a boot disk, or anything like that - something simple and lightweight would be ideal.
I use PathSync for one-way synchronizing my data to an external drive each month. Works great. I haven't tried two-way syncing with it, but I assume it works fine.

It has no build-in scheduling or command-line though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

1. In Outlook 2007, is there any way to set up IMAP so that if I delete a file off the server, it won't delete it from the Outlook inbox? Our mail provider only gives us around 100mb of storage server-wide, and honestly it's more than enough as long as you remember to delete your emails once in a while, but it's kind of pointless using IMAP if I can't have a physical backup of the e-mails.

I can't just move the emails to another folder because then it immediately deletes it off the server as well, which means that any device that hasn't synced yet will never get those emails.

Use the archiving feature. File -> Cleanup -> Archive
This will allow you to move all emails older than x days to local storage.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Two questions:

1. In Outlook 2007, is there any way to set up IMAP so that if I delete a file off the server, it won't delete it from the Outlook inbox? Our mail provider only gives us around 100mb of storage server-wide, and honestly it's more than enough as long as you remember to delete your emails once in a while, but it's kind of pointless using IMAP if I can't have a physical backup of the e-mails.

I can't just move the emails to another folder because then it immediately deletes it off the server as well, which means that any device that hasn't synced yet will never get those emails.

This is how IMAP works by design, everything is stored server side and all operations are done server side. IMAP clients do cache what they have downloaded typically, but again all operations are done server side. If its deleted off the server, it will disappear for any other device accessing it. You can't change this.

The behavior you are describing does occur if you use POP3 to access your email server. However POP is not designed for multiple device scenarios. With POP, the first device that downloads the email will be the only device that gets it.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

2. I'm having an issue with file sharing in windows where I simply cannot access any shared folders. I can see them in the network, but when I try to access them it gives me a permission error even though the folders are explicitly shared with "Everyone" in the permissions settings.

This only happens with my Windows 7/8 machines. I can access shares on an XP machine just fine.
Try turning off Password Protected Sharing in the Network and Sharing Centre.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

hooah posted:

Probably not directly a Windows question, but it's a question I have about my computer running Windows. I've started using Chrome as my regular browser, and have noticed that when I start it up (with two startup tabs), it takes quite a while to display the content on those two tabs. Afterwards, everything shows pretty quickly. Is this normal, or is it just because I'm using a netbook?

Don't pin me down on this, but I believe the pages are rendered/shown using your video-card rather than just regular software. A few days ago my graphics driver crashed and I noticed Chrome became a lot slower when it came to loading pages. It'd just show this blue-ish page until the site popped up.

It'd explain why it's acting "weird" on a netbook.

e: hoping someone can help me. Note, it's not just external mail, it's internal as well. It's such a drag (first world problems) to compose a new message in my private inbox and then send it, having to adjust the subject (RE:/FW:), body and the recipients.

Grawl posted:

At work we use Outlook 2010. I have access to two mailboxes, my own private one and one for my department. When I try to answer to an extern mail with my private mailbox, it works fine. When I do this from the collective one, the mail lingers in the outbox forever. The IT department claims it's a bug in Outlook 2010, which I kinda doubt, it seems more like a setting they need to change. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Grawl fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 30, 2013

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Armourking posted:

Try turning off Password Protected Sharing in the Network and Sharing Centre.

I already did. I actually tried turning it on just to see if I could access the files with the username and password, but Windows won't even prompt me for it and will instead just give me the generic error I mentioned.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Pretty specific request:

I need an ftp client (yes, client) that was a web interface that can be accessed remotely. Basically something like how sabnzbdb works with a browser interface that one can then forward to access remotely. I want to be able to log in, browse an ftp site and pick files to be downloaded to the remote site (the one running the client). Google brought up few, mixed results. Any ideas?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Armourking posted:

This thread on technet has a few people finding and fixing the various issues; give that a whirl.

Recreating the WiFi profile did it, thanks.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

I already did. I actually tried turning it on just to see if I could access the files with the username and password, but Windows won't even prompt me for it and will instead just give me the generic error I mentioned.

You've given Everyone permissions under the Sharing tab, but does Everyone also have those same permissions under the folder's Security tab?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Earl of Lavender posted:

You've given Everyone permissions under the Sharing tab, but does Everyone also have those same permissions under the folder's Security tab?

That's a good question. I've never actually had to do that before with other windows machines, though.

I'll give it a shot on Monday, thanks!

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

I've Googled around a bit and can't seem to find a satisfactory answer to this question: Why does Windows periodically treat my wired network connection as a new network? Since it doesn't default to 'Home' it can screw up some networked applications. I'm not making changes to my router or Ethernet adapter so this behavior is mystifying. Any ideas?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

cliffy posted:

I've Googled around a bit and can't seem to find a satisfactory answer to this question: Why does Windows periodically treat my wired network connection as a new network? Since it doesn't default to 'Home' it can screw up some networked applications. I'm not making changes to my router or Ethernet adapter so this behavior is mystifying. Any ideas?

This happens to me on my work wireless networks all the drat time. I'd be interested in hearing answers to this too.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Mak0rz posted:

This happens to me on my work wireless networks all the drat time. I'd be interested in hearing answers to this too.

Work could be if you have multiple access points or a cluster going on your gateway for either load balancing (active/active) or failover (active/passive). One of the ways Windows decides it is on a new network is the gateway's MAC address is changing. Another common thing is that the subnet changes. If you have AP isolation (this applies to home users)on your access point or router you could be changing subnets all the time. This often puts individual IPs on a different subnet.

I am guessing you don't have a Active Directory domain going at the office or the machine in question is not joined as it should automatically put you on a domain network.

Intrepid00 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 3, 2013

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Is there a way to have Windows 7 remember the size of it's explorer "Open File window" that pops up, that many programs use, I'm getting tired of having to re-size the window each time to the way I like it just to be able to see everything, since I do use it a lot. An example of what I mean.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you use a retail upgrade license on top of an OEM license, what is that license considered? Is it still OEM?

I recently changed both my motherboard and CPU, and my license reactivated with no fuss which I wasn't expecting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is there any good free software for Windows 7 that can repair damaged JPEGs?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Is there any good free software for Windows 7 that can repair damaged JPEGs?

We have some software at work that is really picky about the JPEGs we feed into it. I've found Paint.net to be good at fixing these files.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Aphrodite posted:

If you use a retail upgrade license on top of an OEM license, what is that license considered? Is it still OEM?

I recently changed both my motherboard and CPU, and my license reactivated with no fuss which I wasn't expecting.

I think it becomes retail. Check the PC info and look at the product ID. If it has OEM in it, it is an OEM install.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've got a couple folders that I want to symbolic link one's hierarchy into the other. Let me explain more in-depth:

I have an entire hard drive (F:) dedicated to some files, with folders in the root, let's call those Folder1, Folder2, etc. Now unfortunately this hard drive isn't big enough to accommodate my hoarding tendencies. So I've created an overflow on another hard drive (G:), where I have a folder titled 'Files' with the same folders as the root of the main drive (Folder1, Folder2, etc)

Now what I'm wanting to do is streamline how I browse my files and have everything browse-able on the one main drive. I'm looking for some sort of solution that will take all the files from the overflow folder and create symbolic links in their respective sub-folders in the main drive. So for example, a symbolic link for G:\Files\Folder1\hello.jpg will be created in F:\Folder1\

Is there any sort of application for Windows 7 that will handle this for me? Or do I have to manually create each symbolic link individually and update it manually anytime files change in the overflow folder?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Earl of Lavender posted:

Just wanted to say that this was, in fact, the problem.

Is there a way to give permissions specifically to certain other network computers by their network name (ie: \\USERPC1\), instead of generically giving permissions to Everyone?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jehde posted:

Is there any sort of application for Windows 7 that will handle this for me? Or do I have to manually create each symbolic link individually and update it manually anytime files change in the overflow folder?

Now you make me think about it, isn't this exactly what the Windows 7 Library system is designed for? Try creating a new Library with your overflow drive as your default save location?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Now you make me think about it, isn't this exactly what the Windows 7 Library system is designed for? Try creating a new Library with your overflow drive as your default save location?

Herp. :downs:

Windows Library system should work perfectly for what I need, thanks for making my over-thinking apparent!

Edit: On trying this, it still keeps the two locations seperate, instead of merging all the folders. It puts all the folders of the root of the main drive under one header, and the folders of the overflow folder under another. Disabling the grouping in the library still keeps the duplicate folders.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 5, 2013

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

Jehde posted:

Herp. :downs:

Windows Library system should work perfectly for what I need, thanks for making my over-thinking apparent!

Edit: On trying this, it still keeps the two locations seperate, instead of merging all the folders. It puts all the folders of the root of the main drive under one header, and the folders of the overflow folder under another. Disabling the grouping in the library still keeps the duplicate folders.

If you upgrade to Windows 8 you can make use of Storage Spaces and instead of having files spread out over different drives you have one drive pool that can be fault tolerant or divide the pool up by content type.

Need more space? Just add another disk to the pool. It is the perfect for the pack rat.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kirannr/archive/2012/07/28/windows-8-storage-spaces-detailed-pooling-redundant-disk-space-for-all.aspx

Intrepid00 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 5, 2013

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Jehde posted:

I've got a couple folders that I want to symbolic link one's hierarchy into the other. Let me explain more in-depth:

I have an entire hard drive (F:) dedicated to some files, with folders in the root, let's call those Folder1, Folder2, etc. Now unfortunately this hard drive isn't big enough to accommodate my hoarding tendencies. So I've created an overflow on another hard drive (G:), where I have a folder titled 'Files' with the same folders as the root of the main drive (Folder1, Folder2, etc)

Now what I'm wanting to do is streamline how I browse my files and have everything browse-able on the one main drive. I'm looking for some sort of solution that will take all the files from the overflow folder and create symbolic links in their respective sub-folders in the main drive. So for example, a symbolic link for G:\Files\Folder1\hello.jpg will be created in F:\Folder1\

Steam Mover

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is there a service/software/platform than functions like Dropbox but lets me have multiple directories on the same computer linked to different accounts? I know Dropbox cant do this but I really need it for a couple of things im trying to accomplish.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Two questions:

1: Is there a hotkey for showing/hiding hidden files and folders? I got used to ctrl+h in Ubuntu for a while and now I'm spoiled by it.

2: How do I get access to (and/or delete) the album art added to my music library by Windows Media Player? It seems they're given the name folder.jpg, but I can't see them whether I view hidden files or not. Moving other files with the same name to the same directory gives me a "folder.jpg already exists" message, so I know it's there.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mak0rz posted:

2: How do I get access to (and/or delete) the album art added to my music library by Windows Media Player? It seems they're given the name folder.jpg, but I can't see them whether I view hidden files or not. Moving other files with the same name to the same directory gives me a "folder.jpg already exists" message, so I know it's there.
As these files are also used for the folder icons when in icon view, they also have the system attribute set. So to see them, you would also need to uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)".

I'm not aware of a shortcut key, but the way I solved that need is to use an alternative filebrowser (SpeedCommander, ~$40) that has its own setting for hidden and system files when I need to dig deeper into the system. There are plenty of free options, some might offer that same functionality.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
For your first question, there is no way for Windows to do this natively, but if you don't mind using AHK you can do this very easily.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/keyboard-ninja/keyboard-ninja-toggle-hidden-files-with-a-shortcut-key-in-windows/

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What's an alternative to Windows 7 desktop gadgets? They're not officially supported anymore so I'm stuck with the stock options. I really just want a giant clock and weather.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Autohotkey is awesome for all kinds of things and is very easy to learn even without any prior programming knowledge whatsoever, I highly recommend it.

Bouchacha posted:

What's an alternative to Windows 7 desktop gadgets? They're not officially supported anymore so I'm stuck with the stock options. I really just want a giant clock and weather.

Rainmeter is the go-to for Windows, very powerful program if you want to make your own stuff but there's an awful lot of user content out there as well. Deviantart is probably your best bet for finding things.

Here are some example Rainmeter setups I've used in the past. The background in the 3rd one dynamically updates as the day goes on and reflects the weather conditions for wherever you set it. It has a nice starry sky thing for night time.

Read fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 5, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bouchacha posted:

This guy has a link to a single archive of a bunch of them: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/36980-1000-Gadgets-for-Windows-Vista-amp-Windows-7-Windows-8

Otherwise, this is a reasonably respected gallery of Windows 7 gadgets that's still around: http://win7gadgets.com/

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's not for Steam actually, otherwise I wouldn't need to maintain folder hierarchy. The Windows 8 storage spaces thing would probably work, but it would require more change than is worth it for me. I was hoping there would be just a simple application that would do the linking.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Jehde posted:

It's not for Steam actually, otherwise I wouldn't need to maintain folder hierarchy. The Windows 8 storage spaces thing would probably work, but it would require more change than is worth it for me. I was hoping there would be just a simple application that would do the linking.
That's what the program does. While it defaults to calling itself Steam Mover you can move any file/folder you want to wherever you want and it'll do the linking for you. It's a really awesome little program.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Flipperwaldt posted:

As these files are also used for the folder icons when in icon view, they also have the system attribute set. So to see them, you would also need to uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)".

That worked!

Im_Special posted:

For your first question, there is no way for Windows to do this natively, but if you don't mind using AHK you can do this very easily.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/keyboard-ninja/keyboard-ninja-toggle-hidden-files-with-a-shortcut-key-in-windows/

Wow, that was easier than I thought. Thanks!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Bouchacha posted:

You can always just keep using gadgets as well

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

real_scud posted:

That's what the program does. While it defaults to calling itself Steam Mover you can move any file/folder you want to wherever you want and it'll do the linking for you. It's a really awesome little program.

Oh this appears to be slightly different than the SteamTool I'm used to. I still can't quite figure out how to make this work for my situation, any idea which location I should set to the "steam apps common folder" and which to the "alternative folder" in order to create the links without copying anything?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Jehde posted:

Oh this appears to be slightly different than the SteamTool I'm used to. I still can't quite figure out how to make this work for my situation, any idea which location I should set to the "steam apps common folder" and which to the "alternative folder" in order to create the links without copying anything?

Looks like the command to create the link for a whole folder is simply:

mklink /J "X:\SOURCE" "Y:\DESTINATION"

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Read posted:

Autohotkey is awesome for all kinds of things and is very easy to learn even without any prior programming knowledge whatsoever, I highly recommend it.

This times a million. I've used it to basically transform the way I do certain (very important) things.

To answer my own question from back there about multiple Dropbox instances, I found a solution which, coincidentally, uses AHK.

http://nionsoftware.com/dbpahk/

I just donated 20 bucks to this guy for saving my life.

Brilliant little program, all powered by AHK.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Does anyone here know of a simple tray app (preferably with hotkeys) to switch between audio playback devices in Windows 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage2kk2
Aug 21, 2007

sholin posted:

Does anyone here know of a simple tray app (preferably with hotkeys) to switch between audio playback devices in Windows 7?

I think there's a goon made application called soundswitch which allows you to toggle output devices with a custom hot key.

http://soundswitch.codeplex.com/