Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_kLkOOV3CE

raton fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Asked around a bit last night and have been offered a bar for $5k, plus rent. Can't remember how much the rent was but seemed readonable.

Oh boy am I tempted.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Seems like a solid deal.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

duckmaster posted:

Asked around a bit last night and have been offered a bar for $5k, plus rent. Can't remember how much the rent was but seemed readonable.

Oh boy am I tempted.

There is absolutely nothing that could go wrong with this.

I'm kinda intrigued as to what bar it was now.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
It's in siam riep. I am going tonight to take a look, but 99% sure that this is a terrible idea and can only end in tears.....

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Thanks for posting that. I wonder if the people who work so hard in the film ever get a chance to properly appreciate just how beautiful their surroundings are?

Finch! fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 30, 2013

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

duckmaster posted:

It's in siam riep. I am going tonight to take a look, but 99% sure that this is a terrible idea and can only end in tears.....

Yeah most ideas here end up like that. Still, only one way to find out!

(genuinely curious to how it turns out, keep us posted!)

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

duckmaster posted:

The cabbie on the way in from Poipet (untapped Western-style bar market alert!!) had a fun time telling us about a Korean tour bus owner who was offed by the Khmer mafia for failing to pay some sort of protection money. That said you'll probably be fine and Pub Street looks like a money pit.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you're going to have a bar, you have to have a marketing angle, which is where most "I'll open a bar!" plans fall flat. The guys who open "I'll open a bar!" type bars and make money (as opposed to fancy concepts and such) either have long-established spots, good locations, a draw in a particular customer demographic for whatever reason, some or another excellent/rare food or drink, a brothel aspect of some sort or the owners have a ton of friends and acquaintances, or make them quickly. The biggest duds of all are the me-missus-me-too bars that some unlucky punter opens up to help his bargirlfriend and "mates" drink away his savings even faster, but I'm assuming you're smart enough not to mix romance and business ownership.

With this in mind, I recommend that you open the No Pants Bar and ban pants from day one. Make it the cornerstone of your entire branding, from the logo to the tagline to the menus and shirts - everything. Then, get a sterling internet connection and add an office-size table in the back that's clean and custom made for goon types to work from. Let people telecommute for $2 a day on top of their bill or something. Advertise on SA and in other online communities (i.e. two+two and so on). You'd be surprised how many threads there are in forums about people who've figured out how to get to SE Asia and want to spend long periods of time there, but need to work or something. Once you draw these people in, piggyback on their creativity to form more ideas and take it from there. Whee.

NO PANTS BAR
No Sarong? No Shorts? No Service.

EDIT: This CAN NOT fail.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 30, 2013

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I like the idea that when you walk in, it's like a mosque where they offer you a sarong or wrap to cover your inappropriate attire... but here the sarong will be worn instead, not over, so other patrons aren't offended by the sight of pants being worn

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Open a beer garden with a karaoke, cater for the locals and boom you'll be rolling in the riel.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

I like the idea that when you walk in, it's like a mosque where they offer you a sarong or wrap to cover your inappropriate attire... but here the sarong will be worn instead, not over, so other patrons aren't offended by the sight of pants being worn
This is a genius idea. There should be a little booth next to the entrance where you can change into your shorts or sarong - or rent a sarong for your stay for $1. Instructions inside for how to wear a sarong. When some new guy tries to walk in with pants on, you can rush over like a concerned maitre d' and whisper to him about how you don't want him to embarrass himself as you guide him to the sarong changing area.

EDIT: Regulars who come in from work can keep shorts and sarongs behind the bar with their names on them, like bottles in other bars.

EDIT EDIT: Also, you will get a lot of one-off business from disappointed sex tourists who hear the name, assume it's a brothel, come in and order a beer before asking, "Hey mate..." and then leaving, frustrated.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 30, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Finch! posted:

Thanks for posting that. I wonder if the people who work so hard in the film ever get a chance to properly appreciate just how beautiful their surroundings are?

Unfortunately rice paddies aren't emerald green all year long. There's a significant part of the year where they're just a blasted yellow waste. With that said, people who are from beautiful places know better than anyone else how beautiful their home areas are, but are also acutely aware of every ugly thing in the surroundings that visitors so easily overlook. All those guys could pack it in and go to the city and sell fruit or drive a cab or whatever, some probably have, but in every fan town I've been to the people who stay seem to always stay for a reason. So yeah, I think they probably know.

duckmaster posted:

Oh boy am I tempted.

If you're a foreigner there will be a lot of petty local goons (including the police) who show up with their hands out. Also running a bar well is a lot of work, even in SE Asia. But hey, if you manage to open a bar there and turn a profit I can't say that I wouldn't be jealous.

If it doesn't work out you could always sell soi dog meat to the Vietnamese: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/skulls-dogs-likely-made-meatballs-found-thailand-garbage-

raton fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 30, 2013

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

ReindeerF posted:

If you're going to have a bar, you have to have a marketing angle, which is where most "I'll open a bar!" plans fall flat. The guys who open "I'll open a bar!" type bars and make money (as opposed to fancy concepts and such) either have long-established spots, good locations, a draw in a particular customer demographic for whatever reason, some or another excellent/rare food or drink, a brothel aspect of some sort or the owners have a ton of friends and acquaintances, or make them quickly. The biggest duds of all are the me-missus-me-too bars that some unlucky punter opens up to help his bargirlfriend and "mates" drink away his savings even faster, but I'm assuming you're smart enough not to mix romance and business ownership.

With this in mind, I recommend that you open the No Pants Bar and ban pants from day one. Make it the cornerstone of your entire branding, from the logo to the tagline to the menus and shirts - everything. Then, get a sterling internet connection and add an office-size table in the back that's clean and custom made for goon types to work from. Let people telecommute for $2 a day on top of their bill or something. Advertise on SA and in other online communities (i.e. two+two and so on). You'd be surprised how many threads there are in forums about people who've figured out how to get to SE Asia and want to spend long periods of time there, but need to work or something. Once you draw these people in, piggyback on their creativity to form more ideas and take it from there. Whee.

NO PANTS BAR
No Sarong? No Shorts? No Service.

EDIT: This CAN NOT fail.

Whilst this is a brilliant idea, the bar itself had a poor location and no unique selling point. It appeared to be profitable (and the owner said it is but I didn't ask to see the books) but only just.

This is something I am actually really interested in doing but I'll wait for the right opportunity to come along.

Off to pnomh Penh this weekend, anything I shouldn't miss???

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you're American? Hell, anyone from the West? Ribs at Lone Star. Burgers at Garage. Fries at La Patate. Pizza at Dolce Italia. Subs at Fatboy. Tacos at Alley Cat (don't look in the kitchen). Ratatouille at Le Resto Du Coin. Nachos at Freebird. Stuffed Jalapenos at Sharky's. Late night dumplings at Zeppelin. The strip of Chinese restaurants (one from every major cuisine) around Central Market - especially the Sichuan joint. Khmer Pho (whatever it's called) for breakfast everywhere. Rat tail noodles at Noodle House. Chuck Norris Dim Sum. Sandwiches at NY Deli. Cow goes up a mountain, maybe? Heh. There's so much awesome food in PNH I have trouble even thinking of it all.

As for other random stuff? Rent mountain bikes for $3 a day across from FCC for transportation/exercise/fun. Biking/jogging across the Naga Ferry (ride out behind Naga, head toward the river and ride down to the ferry landing - 100r I think). Cyclo (or self-guided) tours of remaining French colonial architecture. Hold Em at either Red Fox or upstairs at Naga. Watch new movies at Flicks. Pub Quiz at Sundance or The Local II. Monthly standup comedy nights at Pontoon.

Follow Lady Penh on Twitter and check the Lifestyle forum at K440 regularly for more local options.

All the sunset cruise, S21, SHOOT GUN SMOKE SMOKE LADY BOOM BOOM SMOKE SHOOTING RANGE, Killing Fields and other stuff will be in your face everywhere you go as a tourist. Personally, I found S21 worth visiting. The Killing Fields seemed more and more like a "Well, we need something to take them that's called The Killing Fields, since that's what they want!" as there are Killing Fields all over the country and no shortage of skull-filled reminders of the horrors of the KR holocaust.

I'm sure Tytan can offer much more. This is off the top of my head.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 31, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
PP has changed yo.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

PP has changed yo.
For whatever reason, 99% of my friends here go to Laos and Burma, not Cambodia, and haven't been to PP in a decade or more. These are the 15+ year crowd who have been everywhere as far back as the 90s, 80s or before (not so much PP in the 80s, heh). Anyway, when I tell them about Phnom Penh they're like WHAT? NO RUBBLE IN THE STREETS? BOLLOCKS. Even in the short ten years since I first arrived it's changed massively. Paved roads, traffic lights, tuk tuks everywhere, cyclos banned from Sisowath, tall buildings, an overpass (!!!) not to mention all the new cultural stuff to do. It's an awesome little city, with traffic being the only real headache for tourists as a result of this growth (land seizures and local concerns are a different and very real topic, of course, but this is the tourism thread).

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

duckmaster posted:

Off to pnomh Penh this weekend, anything I shouldn't miss???

If you're in town tonight, then this:

Tytan posted:

Just a reminder that Dengue Fever are playing at the FCC in Phnom Penh this Friday, and in Saigon next week. Definitely worth going to see if anyone gets the chance!

Otherwise the list that ReindeerF provided should keep you busy. Definitely go try some of the restaurants, a good local style one is Sovanna (not to be confused with Sovanna shopping mall) - really nice BBQ style place (although all the other dishes are tasty too), always packed full of locals and expats. Lots of decent Chinese and Korean places around town too if you fancy something different.

ReindeerF posted:

Personally, I found S21 worth visiting. The Killing Fields seemed more and more like a "Well, we need something to take them that's called The Killing Fields, since that's what they want!" as there are Killing Fields all over the country and no shortage of skull-filled reminders of the horrors of the KR holocaust.

I think they make a good combination for a day trip - the horrors of S21 followed by the weirdly peaceful Choeung Ek. But yeah S21 definitely has more impact.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Greetings, SE Asia thread. I've checked the last 10 pages or so and read all posts from the month of May and I did not see any mention of Myanmar. The description of travel to Myanmar from the OP is from 2011 before it really opened up. Is anyone in this thread up on Myanmar? Specifically, I'm a runner. I like running destination marathons. I'm probably going to be hitting Asia in 2014 or 2015 and I had planned on running the Angkor Wat marathon as an excuse to see Cambodia. My father recently sent me a link to The Bagan temple marathon and the ensuing tour around parts of Myanmar and that really caught my attention as an "off the beaten path" destination.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
You should run to Mt Popa (if they let you) if you go to Bagan. It's nearby and should not be missed.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I love it when you call me big popa

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
If anyone is in Saigon today, there is a Jazz Festival in District 4, from 4pm to past midnight. New Orleans style music, cajun food, this is gonna be good. You know, for those not in PP watching Dengue Fever.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Hua Hin is also having their annual Jazz festival this weekend. I went last night and got exactly what you'd expect from a Thai jazz festival. Lots of Singha, a Japanese jazz band immediately followed by a Thai pop cover band.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

Hua Hin is also having their annual Jazz festival this weekend. I went last night and got exactly what you'd expect from a Thai jazz festival. Lots of Singha, a Japanese jazz band immediately followed by a Thai pop cover band.
Haha, yes. I never go. That said, I think today you should at least get some of the Tokyo Joe's/Saxophone crowd and some special guests. I hope they gave you lots of ice for your lots of Singha :)

EDIT: \/\/\/ "(Hundreds of drunk Thais with blinking poo poo on their heads...)" 555

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 1, 2013

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

I actually didn't see a whole lot of ice being handed around. I was with a Thai friend who usually lives in Switzerland, so he bought a bottle of wine that we split. That came in a big plastic bag full of ice to keep the bottle cold, but nothing came with the beer.

The Japanese group was quite good. They had the cutest little pixie of a drummer that I think they said was 16? The Thais loved her, needless to say. If I go back tonight, I'll provide a full report. (Hundreds of drunk Thais with blinking poo poo on their heads...)

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
For a moment, I thought you guys were talking about ice (crystal meth) and was confused. I mean, it's quite common here but...

That said, the jazz fest here is organized by expats and seems to target mostly expats. There IS a Japanese band but all the other ones are either expat bands or foreigners (one directly from NOLA).

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Hungryjack posted:

Greetings, SE Asia thread. I've checked the last 10 pages or so and read all posts from the month of May and I did not see any mention of Myanmar. The description of travel to Myanmar from the OP is from 2011 before it really opened up. Is anyone in this thread up on Myanmar? Specifically, I'm a runner. I like running destination marathons. I'm probably going to be hitting Asia in 2014 or 2015 and I had planned on running the Angkor Wat marathon as an excuse to see Cambodia. My father recently sent me a link to The Bagan temple marathon and the ensuing tour around parts of Myanmar and that really caught my attention as an "off the beaten path" destination.

The marathon would probably rock but those tours are a poo poo ton of money for locations all firmly on Burma's beaten path.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Also, there's really no need to attend organized events. I trail run all over the wilds of Southeast Asia at a whim for 10-20 kilometers - through fields, villages, mountains, slums, you name it. Getting away from the pack is a fantastic way to see people and places and things you'd never otherwise see. I'm always getting offered to sit and have a drink or walk around some guy's plantation and hear about his plans or whatever. It's not like America with the endless fences and GIT OFF MAH LAND, you can go pretty much wherever you want here as long as you're friendly and willing to act all apologetic on the rare occasion that you piss someone off :)

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

What is the best caving to be had in the area? I live in Singapore and my job doesn't allow for much time off, so I usually can only travel places for one night. I was looking at going to Kuching, anybody have experience caving there? I'm a rock climber, and I've never actually been caving before, but for some reason I'm itching to rappel into a cave. I've heard there are good caves in Laos and Palawan, but those aren't as accessible to me as Kuching. There are touristy caves in KL, and the bat caves up in Thailand, but I hear they aren't so nice and smell like pee.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I remember seeing that on TV and thinking to myself, 'he's still got quite a few operations to go before he comes close'.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

anakha posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing that on TV and thinking to myself, 'he's still got quite a few operations to go before he comes close'.

It's Michael Jackson in a superman suit.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Senso posted:

That said, the jazz fest here is organized by expats and seems to target mostly expats. There IS a Japanese band but all the other ones are either expat bands or foreigners (one directly from NOLA).

Turns out the police shut down the whole show at around 6PM, what a wreck. Their "official" excuse was that the bands playing did not include enough local Vietnamese (as if there was some kind of ratio to respect). Everybody knows it's most likely the organizers did not give the police their envelope.

Haizz that was stupid.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qK-zMT9BE

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Another threat to local employment if the AEC reforms pass as planned!

EDIT: Come to Thailand and learn about Buddhism.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 4, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnnbG1JyoM

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I feel like the Minister of Papaya should be part of the Republic of tea.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Hungryjack posted:

I feel like the Minister of Papaya should be part of the Republic of tea.
I bet if we started an online campaign to try to get the Republic of Tea to fund a scholarship for the Minister of Papaya (which doesn't cost much in Cambodia) we could get it done.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
And the Dengue Fever show in Saigon tonight has been cancelled by the police, because the venue didn't have a permit (bullshit reason). gently caress the Công An!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Is this show-canceling reaching epic proportions or is this just par for the course in Vietnam? In Thailand it always all seems to get worked out one way or the other. Vietnam sounds like it's living up to my image of it as considerably more hotheaded.