Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah ok, less creepy then.

edit: only four pedophiles on the list, I thought there'd be more.

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
As a reminder, the EDL/BNP are around all over the UK later today; there'll be minimal coverage in the news, of course, but get involved all the same.

I also discovered that there's such a thing as the "Welsh Defence League" :laffo: Hoping to see them humiliated in Cardiff tomorrow.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Lee Rigby, getting the Vilerat treatment from a UKIP member.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Allan Assiduity posted:

I also discovered that there's such a thing as the "Welsh Defence League" :laffo: Hoping to see them humiliated in Cardiff tomorrow.

Where were the useless sods when Owain Glyndŵr needed them!

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

TinTower posted:

Lee Rigby, getting the Vilerat treatment from a UKIP member.

http://martycaine.tumblr.com/post/51815510794/the-edl-hatred-spread-by-hope-not-hate

This guy is "I have no idea what the gently caress I'm talking about" personified.

He's getting so defensive on twitter as well.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There's a Scottish Defense League too.

Which just makes me think of Renton's speech in Trainspotting about being Scottish.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
[[http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-06-01/bnp-to-stage-rally-in-london/ BNP demonstration ended with 58 UAF arrests.]]

I've been kind of wondering, because this is a question I don't actually know the answer to - how effective is violent protest as a tool againstfascists? I get that it tends to be more headline-grabbing than peaceful protest, but does it help groups like the EDL and BNP entrench their victim narrative/let people write off antifascist groups as 'just another street gang'? Basically, what are the pros, what are the cons, and how do they balance out?

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Darth Walrus posted:

[[http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-06-01/bnp-to-stage-rally-in-london/ BNP demonstration ended with 58 UAF arrests.]]

I've been kind of wondering, because this is a question I don't actually know the answer to - how effective is violent protest as a tool againstfascists? I get that it tends to be more headline-grabbing than peaceful protest, but does it help groups like the EDL and BNP entrench their victim narrative/let people write off antifascist groups as 'just another street gang'? Basically, what are the pros, what are the cons, and how do they balance out?

I would reccomend watching this BBC documentary on the AFA from the 90's which is in four parts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlqnOeX4GeM

If you want also watch this hour long documentary on French Antifas with Eng subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dn2NRvrR-U

Both are very interesting/enlightening.

Essentially violence, or the credible threat of violence, has been largely successful against neo-nazi skinhead related groups in the above periods in 90's England and in France.

Other historical pieces:

Battle of Cable Street http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_cable_street - 1936 antifascist action against the British Union of Fascists leader Oswald Mosley. Some 100,000 Antifas 'violent' protesters successfully shut them down/this event is considered to have been a significant public turning point against the nascient BUF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_Pits_riot - A similar event in Canada.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 1, 2013

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Report from Edinburgh: http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/192501-scottish-defence-league-demo-at-holyrood-met-by-anti-fascist-protestors/

The council had actually banned the SDL from marching through the streets, but about 100 of them did it anyway. There were fewer at the static protest and we outnumbered them. The UAF Trots tried to make it all about them and were a bit wishy-washy in their statement to the media there, but other than that they did a decent job and behaved reasonably well.

Also Mahmoud Sarsak, the Palestinian ex-prisoner and hunger striker, is touring Scotland at the moment: http://www.boycottisraelnetwork.net/?p=2371 While he couldn't make the protest, he stopped by Waverley and wished us luck. Nice and very modest and friendly guy. :)

All the groups present got a few more recruits too, from people passing by who were interested, so that was nice.

On the down side, I saw a small group of anti-fascist anarchists getting kettled on the Royal Mile, which was a bit worrying - they wanted to march to oppose the SDL's march, but the police stopped them. Though apart from that (and letting the SDL march go ahead despite the ban), the police seemed to be pretty good at keeping everyone safe, at least one fash got lifted for making threatening gestures. And people said there were a lot more fash than they'd ever seen in Edinburgh before, though some had been bussed in some from around Scotland so there may not be too many.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Hemel Hempstead trip report: http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/community/edl-organised-memorial-march-passes-off-peacefully-1-5148867
The whole thing was very peaceful, I saw a group of people who were already ready to protest. The EDL came a little earlier than expected at 12:30 so I don't think many of the protesters came. Unfortanlty there was more fash than protesters. Still, we were giving free cakes to anyone who was willing to join the protests. The signs was really good as everyone stopped to read it, including the drivers. Some even honked their horns in support. It was a nice protest all in all. I might post some more pictures once the newspaper start reporting about it.

Here's the signs that we used, it was moved to a better spot once we had gotten ready:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

Ah ok, less creepy then.

edit: only four pedophiles on the list, I thought there'd be more.

Only partly less creepy, you can be sent to prison for breaking the terms of an ASBO (Anti-Social Behaviour Order), which tend to be used as a way of modifying non-criminal behaviour. You break the terms of your specific ASBO, you go to jail, even if the thing you were doing isn't actually illegal. They're nasty, hateful things.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

There was a march and protest in Colchester: http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/10457320.Colchester_anti_EDL_protest_sparks_three_hour_stand_off/?ref=rss

I wasn't there and didn't realise it was on until it was happening; looks like I missed the protestors being forced away by a few minutes. There were still broken UAF signs, plenty of police watching (including a pair on the war memorial), half a dozen EDL members taking a photo together, and some rather ragged and tatty bouquets. The helicopter was flying very low over the town all afternoon, I'm not really sure why they thought it was necessary.

The only people I spoke to about it were really pissed off that "they" were stopping "them" from laying a wreath for a soldier, and I bet that's how a lot of people will be thinking. Especially since the university's student union leader's been calling soldiers the backbone of the EDL this week.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Just saw this on twitter

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Oh god, why am I not surprised? I'd hoped Clarkson was just being *~ironic~* and having terrible opinions for money, but I guess he really is that bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Old news - that's from 2011.

quote:

Gobby Jeremy Clarkson stormed into another race row last night after making fun of drowned Chinese cockle pickers. And his latest outburst came after the Daily Star Sunday discovered he had posed for a snap with the leader of the racist English Defence League.

The 51-year-old was slammed after joking about dead Chinese immigrants in his regular newspaper column. He tastelessly compared synchronised swimmers to the 21 cockle pickers who were killed in rising tides in Morecambe Bay, Lancashire, in 2004. The Top Gear presenter was last night branded "out of touch" by anti-racism groups.

The latest outrage came as a picture of Clarkson and far-right English Defence League head Stephen Lennon emerged. Lennon, also known as Tommy Robinson, claims he talked about Islam with Clarkson.

The 28-year-old convicted thug, who also founded the anti-Islamic movement, said: "He knew who I was. We talked about Islam. I don't want to say anything else because he will just get stitched up. But I'm a big fan of him."

The picture is thought to have been taken in September outside a pub in Shepherd’s Bush, west London, where EDL members were holding a meeting.

But last night Jeremy Clarkson said he did not have a clue who Lennon was. He told the Daily Star Sunday: "I have no recollection of talking to this man and have no idea who Stephen Lennon is."

Daily Star Sunday, 8 January 2012

As the Star points out, Lennon does have a record of having his picture taken with public figures (see here and here) in order to falsely claim their support for the EDL. However, it's not difficult to believe that he and Clarkson found they have a lot in common.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I finally get to say it unironically :allears:

It's just a joke, like on Top Gear.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Possible new thread title?

Also: I was at Cardiff today, the "EDL march" was actually a silent walk to mourn Lee Rigby which the EDL tried to hijack. Unfortunately, their plan was a complete bust when they had a grand total of one fascist attendee, to about 150+ antifascists.

:allears:

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

House Louse posted:

Especially since the university's student union leader's been calling soldiers the backbone of the EDL this week.

Could we have more details on that? I know Colchesters a big army town, and I'm not a big fan of the UKs foreign policy- but to blame the army for the edl seems a bit extreme.

I'm from a similar background from a lot of squaddies and know a fair few people who were in the army. They might not hold my political views exactly ( some do ) but the ones I know think the EDL are bunch of wankers.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I'm no friend of squaddies, far from it, but the talk of those so inclined to check these things is that on a big squaddie forum the EDL are generally derided, with particular scorn reserved for the 'Combined Ex Forces' (CxF) wing of the EDL who are thought of as a bunch of Walts.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
We loving ruined the BNP's march in London, and a couple of comrades got a few licks in on some dickhead fascist's face. A Good Day.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Allan Assiduity posted:

Possible new thread title?

Also: I was at Cardiff today, the "EDL march" was actually a silent walk to mourn Lee Rigby which the EDL tried to hijack. Unfortunately, their plan was a complete bust when they had a grand total of one fascist attendee, to about 150+ antifascists.

:allears:

Every time I hear about the EDL or BNP putting marches on in Cardiff, they only ever seem to manage to get a handful of people to turn up, it makes me quite proud to have family from there.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I was quite heartened by the number of folk from the Communist branch that showed up, and we got three passers-by stopping to join in the protest and join the mailing list. Several trade unions showed up too, including Unison and PCS. So it wasn't just another SWP recruitment drive.

Quote of the day from a comrade: "Hold my end of the banner a sec, I'm going to go to the front and see if the fash take my picture. The other guys have a Redwatch page and I'm feeling left out."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

It always amazes me when the Star tries to oppose the EDL

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

TinTower posted:

It always amazes me when the Star tries to oppose the EDL

Hahaha that loving caption. Straight up 'Hey look, they have a black guy!'

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

KayTee posted:

Holy poo poo...

So... Anonymous has decided to target the EDL. Launching hastag OPEDL, Anonymous, as of 9pm this evening, has released names, phone numbers, addresses and (near) full criminal records of a metric shitton of EDL members, leaders, organisers and donors.

Things are about to get even messier than they currently are.

Hmm. I wonder if its blackmask. Back in the day there was a hacker group from new zealand that used to regularly break into websites of fascists around the world and do data-drops to the local antifa. Always unprompted. Then one day, 2-3 years ago, they seemingly disappeared. I wonder if its the same people?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Supeerme posted:

Don't worry I have already asked some of my comrades to join me tomorrow.

EDIT: Welp I just asked my dad and he refuses to join me saying that "You need to read their website and see what they really stand for! Your just repeating the media lies about them!" What should I do? Should I start singing 'The International' and bash him or what?

Don't panic. Just give him the facts, and don't demean him for it, unlike the actual EDL twats you have to live with the guy. He's probably stupid, not evil. Just explain how the leadership of this organization are basically ex or current neo-nazi skinheads for the most parts and the group is still actively involved with violence against pakistani and other asian folks. And point out that real patriots once went to europe to shoot nazis, not clap them in the streets.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

duck monster posted:

Hmm. I wonder if its blackmask. Back in the day there was a hacker group from new zealand that used to regularly break into websites of fascists around the world and do data-drops to the local antifa. Always unprompted. Then one day, 2-3 years ago, they seemingly disappeared. I wonder if its the same people?

I wouldn't be surprised if many ex-members joined Anonymous, but obviously it would be really simplistic to say they're the same group, since it also includes former supporters of OWS and other leftist youth movements. And is in no way confined to NZ.

Also, I am still really surprised that genuine left-wing hackers have taken over Anonymous. It seems like only yesterday that the only "protests" they were involved in were the Scientology ones, which lacked any real underlying ideology and included a bunch of people who wouldn't be caught dead espousing some of the traditionalist left-wing views the group now supports. And only the day before yesterday that it was nothing more than a stupid meme and a promise to dox anyone who pissed off /b/. All it has retained from those days is the "we're from the internet" sentiment and the vigilantism.

No I agree, it seems legit and that's pretty cool... just kind of baffling.
VVVVVVVVVV

Weldon Pemberton fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 2, 2013

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

There were a lot of people in London today in the traditional Anonymous Guy Fawkes Mask garb, and some of them had Anonymous flags.

I wasn't going to complain, because they were on the front line against the BNP. They were taking the lead. I can't argue with that. Idiots from the internet or not.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
The EDL planned a 'peaceful' rally yesterday in Colchester. Their plan was allegedly to walk in silence to the war memorial and place a wreath on behalf of the EDL to honour the death of Lee Rigby.

Around 100 of us (mostly students, but quite a few townfolk as well) gathered to show our opposition, saying that we would not let a fascist organisation hijack the death of a soldier for their own cause, especially not at a war memorial to those who died fighting Nazism.

There were about 30 of them, drunk EDL guys who shouted abuse at us and when they'd had enough to drink they came to confront us. Big police line between us and them, and it stayed that way for a few hours. Police were pretty friendly and seemed to be decent.

At one point a woman wearing a Hijab said that if they removed the EDL name from the wreath, could she lay it for them? They said no. They then began claiming that they weren't from the EDL (despite chanting E-D-EDL several times) There was also a few Nazi salutes going around.

Eventually the police pushed us all back, and some guy wearing an EDL hoodie laid the wreath and they saluted (Nazi-style)

So in the end it turned out that our protest, which made us feel powerful and like we were doing something to fight the EDL, was being tolerated by the police for exactly as long as they wanted, and that we had absolutely no power whatsoever, some people getting almost crushed by the police advancing. Only good thing to come out of it was that we showed our opposition, but in the end I guess Fash won.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Barry Foster posted:

We loving ruined the BNP's march in London, and a couple of comrades got a few licks in on some dickhead fascist's face. A Good Day.

I've seen reports, especially from this twitter account that the police focused far more on anti-fascist protestors than they did BNP/EDL thugs. Was that your experience?

edit: on a happier note: http://m.ibtimes.co.uk/bnp-edl-hate-fascist-badgers-473597.html

quote:

Far-Right Extremists Chased Through London by Women Dressed as Badgers

A rally by extremists from the British National Party and the English Defence League was dwarfed by opposition campaigners staging rival protests in London on Saturday 1 June.

Shortly after lunch, a die-hard core of around 50 BNP and EDL supporters was confronted outside parliament by hundreds of activists from anti-extremist groups including Unite Against Fascsim and Hope Not Hate.

But in the event, both groups were upstaged by agitators of a different stripe. Decked out from head to toe in black and white, the group that won the day were campaigning neither for race war nor ethnic equality, but an end to the government's cull on badgers.

Not too keen on the piece's implication the anti-cull protestors were somehow distinct from the other anti-fascist protestors they joined but still a funny story.

Not surprising given how racist the Met is but still depressing.
VVVVV

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 2, 2013

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I've seen reports, especially from this twitter account that the police focused far more on anti-fascist protestors than they did BNP/EDL thugs. Was that your experience?

Yeah. We stopped the BNP from marching, but the pigs were very much focused on our side. There were many arrests, and I guarantee none of them were fascists.

^^^^^^ The Badgers got a big cheer when they turned up. They were a slightly odd but welcome addition to the line.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 2, 2013

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Weren't there 58 arrests on the anti-fash side, compared to none on the other side?

According to Twitter, the Bournemoth (?) had only two attendees, which is equally embarrassing. Sad to hear that London didn't go so well, but areas apart from that have had substantially more success, which is at least something. There's at least one good photograph of the Colchester lot Nazi-saluting the war memorial, which in terms of "shocking iconography" could work against them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

crazyvanman posted:

So in the end it turned out that our protest, which made us feel powerful and like we were doing something to fight the EDL, was being tolerated by the police for exactly as long as they wanted, and that we had absolutely no power whatsoever, some people getting almost crushed by the police advancing. Only good thing to come out of it was that we showed our opposition, but in the end I guess Fash won.

You got to show your opposition and the EDL got their protest too. You're basically saying that the police support the EDL which is not the case from the events you describe. They were there to ensure there wasn't violence and everyone got to lay a wreath in the end, for the police that's a job well done.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ReV VAdAUL posted:

quote:

Far-Right Extremists Chased Through London by Women Dressed as Badgers

A rally by extremists from the British National Party and the English Defence League was dwarfed by opposition campaigners staging rival protests in London on Saturday 1 June.

Shortly after lunch, a die-hard core of around 50 BNP and EDL supporters was confronted outside parliament by hundreds of activists from anti-extremist groups including Unite Against Fascsim and Hope Not Hate.

But in the event, both groups were upstaged by agitators of a different stripe. Decked out from head to toe in black and white, the group that won the day were campaigning neither for race war nor ethnic equality, but an end to the government's cull on badgers.

Ahahaha brilliant. Reminds me of the fairys against fascism action in new zealand in, oh maybe 2004. (Yeah I know new zealand right? In the 2000s there seemed to be a *lot* of fairly gnarly fash vs antifash stuff going on, for such a tiny little country). Basically the National front there had been doing a lot of gay and black bashing, so at their yearly march on the wellington war memorial, a bunch of large bearish gay men in tutus and fairy wings (along with the usual assortment of black clad local anarcho types), many of whom where maori and samoan (reminder, the maori and samoans are some of the physically largest people in the world. Lots of boat rowing genetics I guess?) turned up and chased them through town before cornering and beating the poo poo out of the leadership of the NF with maori war clubs.

edit: london, new zealand, posting under insufficient coffee, its all the same. Fixed.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 2, 2013

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

This is a bit of a simplification (though not a very great one), but fascism as an ideology relies on creating a sense of power and control among its followers. As long as they can maintain the illusion that they're invincible heroes fighting against the evils of the world they thrive, but when confronted with determined resistance that they cannot overcome, the illusion is shattered.

Violent resistance is a way of doing this which has proven to be effective, though it must be stressed that this is just one tactic among others that can be used to bash the fash.

The other aspect of this all is that the cornerstone of fascism is organized political violence. Fascism glorifies violence for its own sake, and any peaceful activities that the fash engage in should be understood to be a mere prelude for violent action.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

General China posted:

Could we have more details on that? I know Colchesters a big army town, and I'm not a big fan of the UKs foreign policy- but to blame the army for the edl seems a bit extreme.

I'm from a similar background from a lot of squaddies and know a fair few people who were in the army. They might not hold my political views exactly ( some do ) but the ones I know think the EDL are bunch of wankers.

Sure. Here's the local rag's front-page article from Friday: http://www.essexcountystandard.co.u..._League/?ref=ms. I think he comes across as a stereotyping idiot. Bonus: Anonymous fingers a single mother as an EDL member who moved out four years ago: http://www.essexcountystandard.co.uk/news/10450731.Colchester_EDL_address_is_home_to_mum_and_two_kids/?ref=mr :bravo:

(Edit: sorry, that's a different article; I can't find Friday's online, but in the article I read it mentions veterans and other students complaining about the tweets, and quotes him as saying:

quote:

A report on the Guardian in 2010 said that a number of servicemen were in the EDL. The Daily Star, also in 2010, had a picture of troops in Camp Bastion holding up an EDL flag. Clearly not every serving soldier is a member. What I meant by "backbone" was not numerical... I don't see any need to apologise. I'm hoping this will clarify my comments.

The article also mentioned that the EDL claims to have 145 soldiers out of 33,000 members, but not his student debt. The "not numerical" bit is what I felt made him look like an idiot.)

crazyvanman posted:

Did they give you a warning before pushing you away?

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 2, 2013

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I think the reason there was so many UAF arrests as opposed to the fash. is that the fash left at the end of their alloted marching time or whatever. the UAF apparently didn't.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Roblo posted:

I think the reason there was so many UAF arrests as opposed to the fash. is that the fash left at the end of their alloted marching time or whatever. the UAF apparently didn't.

Well that and cops love to bash hippies. :(

iFederico
Apr 19, 2001

duck monster posted:

Ahahaha brilliant. Reminds me of the fairys against fascism action in new zealand in, oh maybe 2004. (Yeah I know new zealand right? In the 2000s there seemed to be a *lot* of fairly gnarly fash vs antifash stuff going on, for such a tiny little country). Basically the National front there had been doing a lot of gay and black bashing, so at their yearly march on the wellington war memorial, a bunch of large bearish gay men in tutus and fairy wings (along with the usual assortment of black clad local anarcho types), many of whom where maori and samoan (reminder, the maori and samoans are some of the physically largest people in the world. Lots of boat rowing genetics I guess?) turned up and chased them through town before cornering and beating the poo poo out of the leadership of the NF with maori war clubs.

edit: london, new zealand, posting under insufficient coffee, its all the same. Fixed.

I missed your fascism stomping stories duckmonster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

duck monster posted:

Ahahaha brilliant. Reminds me of the fairys against fascism action in london in, oh maybe 2004. (Yeah I know new zealand right? In the 2000s there seemed to be a *lot* of fairly gnarly fash vs antifash stuff going on, for such a tiny little country). Basically the National front there had been doing a lot of gay and black bashing, so at their yearly march on the wellington war memorial, a bunch of large bearish gay men in tutus and fairy wings (along with the usual assortment of black clad local anarcho types), many of whom where maori and samoan (reminder, the maori and samoans are some of the physically largest people in the world. Lots of boat rowing genetics I guess?) turned up and chased them through town before cornering and beating the poo poo out of the leadership of the NF with maori war clubs.

So proud. I wish there were some better photos though

http://archive.indymedia.org.nz/article/68891/fairies-fighting-fascists

• Locked thread