Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Lechtansi posted:

I loving loved KOTOR when it came out originally - is it worth buying on iPad or should i just figure out how to reinstall it on my computer?

If you'd prefer PC but were worried about the hassle of installing an old game, it's on Steam now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Just sold my iPad 3 and bought a mini and I'm loving it. It's such a better form factor for a gaming device. The screen isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would either. So…

How's KOTOR on the Mini?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

101 posted:

Just sold my iPad 3 and bought a mini and I'm loving it. It's such a better form factor for a gaming device. The screen isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would either. So…

How's KOTOR on the Mini?

It's fine

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Selling a single character for $3 in a $5 game is loving absurd. If EA put out additional characters for Mass Effect/Dragon Age and charged $30+ per character for their $50 game there would be riots. It's arguably worse than Square Enix's setup for games* like All The Bravest.

You're implying that it would be perfectly all right to charge $3 for added content if the base game were a lot more expensive, and I can't believe that's actually what you mean to be doing. And then I read this:

Det_no posted:

I think WHQ's issue is not so much that the DLC is too expensive but that the prices are not balanced at first glance. It didn't happen but if the game was 10 bucks and came with five classes out of the box it would seem more sensible but as it is it 'feels' like a cash grab.

and it seems App Store pricing is warping the ability to perceive and assign value.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It can and it is. WQ would STILL be a good value (if you're the kind of person who was going to enjoy it in the first place) if it were, say, a $15 game that included all the content currently available as DLC -- however, we're looking at a market where a FIVE dollar game is being scrutinized as "expensive"-- not a knock on anyone in the thread who may be doing so, I'm just saying that's how the App Store market works. They're probably going to make more money off of it by stripping the base game of a few extras and selling it for $5 (with $10 worth of expansion stuff available) than they would at the price point above. As for the consumable gold IAP in the game, it's a "cheat", which I've totally come to accept, even in premium-priced games. They added something similar in an update to The World Ends With You, another AAA title that (IMO) is an incredible steal on the App Store. The game isn't balanced around the existence of such cheats so it doesn't really hurt anyone who doesn't wanna use em.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my god I just reached the sweep race on KOTOR and the controls for it are loving terrible. :lol:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh my god I just reached the sweep race on KOTOR and the controls for it are loving terrible. :lol:

Well that means it is a perfect port. :colbert:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sweep race was horrible in every single way in normal KOTOR as well so.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's a swoop race you illiterate fucks.

Goddamn gently caress this challenge requiring me to run over two hundred zombies with the quad bike.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SpookyLizard posted:

iOS auto-correct! :argh:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Pro-tip for the swoop race - intentionally go slow on your first run so you can easily beat it the next time.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Thought I might as well ask for some recent recommendations rather than spend all night combing through the thread. What are some good games that work fine on the iPhone, and not just the iPad? (I don't have the latter.) My recent favorites include Punch Quest, Rayman Jungle Run, & Game Dev Story, if that helps. I also like point-and-click adventure games, but I'm not interested in the Telltale stuff or Monkey Island remakes since I can play them with a mouse or controller in better resolution elsewhere.

EDIT: I also know that Star Command wasn't well-received, but apparently it got updated with an easier mode. Is it worthwhile now?

Behonkiss fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 2, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Behonkiss posted:

Thought I might as well ask for some recent recommendations rather than spend all night combing through the thread. What are some good games that work fine on the iPhone, and not just the iPad? (I don't have the latter.) My recent favorites include Punch Quest, Rayman Jungle Run, & Game Dev Story, if that helps. I also like point-and-click adventure games, but I'm not interested in the Telltale stuff or Monkey Island remakes since I can play them with a mouse or controller in better resolution elsewhere.

EDIT: I also know that Star Command wasn't well-received, but apparently it got updated with an easier mode. Is it worthwhile now?

Try these:
Phoenix wright, beastie bay, dead run, and Magika. And luckily all of them are free to play.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I actually haven't played it with the update but I STILL thought it wasn't an awful game by any means -- if it had come out unannounced without all the hype and kickstarter buildup (which, in the detractors' defense, included plans for a LOT of stuff that didnt make it into the game in any form) I think you'd see a lot more people willing to overlook its rough spots. And it does have plenty -- but it does some things right, and as long as you're not going into it with sky-high expectations it's a pretty good way to drop 3 bucks.

Have you played the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney games at all, by the way? A port of the first 3 DS games just got released this weekend on iOS and while I haven't had a chance to dig deep into it I know it gets a lot of love and might appeal to an adventure game fan. It's a free download, too, that gives you a "demo" chapter of the first game and lets you unlock the rest through one-time IAP.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I probably should have mentioned that I already played the Phoenix Wright games on the DS, but I enjoyed them and iOS-exclusive games in a similar vein would be up my alley (if any exist).

I'll also voice my sadness that there's apparently an iOS spinoff of the Professor Layton games, which I like even more, but it's Japan-only. Bah.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Some recent things I've been playing that have phone versions (although I play many on the iPad):
Warhammer Quest
Kingturn
Gemini Rue
Tumulus of Fen
Star Command
Ridiculous Fishing
Slayin
Ace Patrol
The Nightjar
Eclipse
SolForge
Cthulhu Saves the World
Block Fortress
Little Inferno
Nimble Quest
Merchant to the Stars

It's actually been a pretty good stretch here for iOS gaming, especially if you add in some of the awesome stuff for iPad like Frozen Synapse and Kotor.

Edit: err some of these are iPad only, eclipse and solforge at least, whoops. Also, Magicka is pretty good and iPad only I think.

Jerk Edit: since I ended up basically listing iPad games too, can't forget Leviathan Warships B)

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 2, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Behonkiss posted:

It was always too easy, but still a neat little game. Go for it.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So for those of you that didn't want to get into warhammer quest because of the portrait thing. I am laying down now playing, which is what the #1 complaint was, and found that simply locking rotation fixed everything. Unlock if you actually want to go into the inventory. Works well for me at least.

Also, god drat hardcore is a bit more difficult. Got -2 WS on my fighters from a string of bad events and lost everyone in my party but my Marauder.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Hey y'all, Anthill is free, go download it. It's sort of an RTS where you draw trails out of your hill that your ants patrol. It's really fun, go get it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

KGBAgent185 posted:

So for those of you that didn't want to get into warhammer quest because of the portrait thing. I am laying down now playing, which is what the #1 complaint was, and found that simply locking rotation fixed everything. Unlock if you actually want to go into the inventory. Works well for me at least.

This doesn't fix my problem with it, because there are actually two things that people find annoying.

Problem one is that you can't play with the iPad in unusual positions, which this lock/unlock trick solves.

Problem two, which is what bothers me and the lock/unlock doesn't address, is that you still have to physically rotate the iPad to access the inventory. I play with my iPad on a flat surface with a smart-cover type case propping it up in landscape mode. Having to flip the iPad around is a pain-in-the-rear end when played in this manner.

edit: but whatever, it sounds like this is on the list of things they're gonna fix in an update.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Goddamn gently caress this challenge requiring me to run over two hundred zombies with the quad bike.

Fuuuuck. Gotta earn enough money for the quad bike THEN run over two hundred zombies.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

petewhitley posted:

Problem two, which is what bothers me and the lock/unlock doesn't address, is that you still have to physically rotate the iPad to access the inventory. I play with my iPad on a flat surface with a smart-cover type case propping it up in landscape mode. Having to flip the iPad around is a pain-in-the-rear end when played in this manner.

edit: but whatever, it sounds like this is on the list of things they're gonna fix in an update.

I played it like this in a hot tub just now. Mild pain in the rear end, but I still think Best Way to Play Warhammer Quest = in hot tub with bourbon :smug:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I can't free up the space to fit warhammer quest on my phone. Money saved!?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bummey posted:

I can't free up the space to fit warhammer quest on my phone. Money saved!?

Dammit, KOTOR is expensive but I might just have to- 2 GB??? gently caress off!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sorry to double post, but has anyone played Descend RPG? It looks kinda Grimrock-y and awesome, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Corridor posted:

Sorry to double post, but has anyone played Descend RPG? It looks kinda Grimrock-y and awesome, but I haven't heard anything about it.

Descend RPG is bad, as poo poo. Play Tumulus of Fen instead. Tumulus is bad as poo poo.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Corridor posted:

Pretty much exactly my reaction. I played it on PC back in the day and loved it. I debated whether the $10 was worth it for a game I've already played, but right when I was about to bite the bullet and do it anyway I saw how big it is and decided against it.

Infestasyde
Mar 6, 2004
Just a super quick question about warhammer quest:

If I do happen to buy an additional character, can you only have four in play in a dungeon, at the same time? Are there any in particular that are recommended?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm really starting to get into Warhammer Quest now. I wish it had a little more depth, and I wish it wasn't so obtuse with the rules (though this thread and more experience mitigate the latter), but it's something that I'd now recommend to others. Getting some new loot and a level or two makes combat more interesting. Sure it's just a game where the entire limit of gameplay is entering rooms and murdering everything inside as efficiently as possible, but I think I'm okay with that.

I'm definitely going to finish it, and I'm already thinking about a replay on hardcore mode to juice it up a little. It's been a perfect commute game for me recently. After a hard day I'm not after anything too taxing, and this is just the right spot where I can do a dungeon or so without feeling stressed out and with some sense of progression.

They should offer some discount bulk purchase on IAP. Think that would lure me in. I could see myself getting a character for the hardcore replay. Make me an offer of $7 for all three and I'd start thinking that for just over twice the price I could get three times as much stuff. No one can resist a bargain.

If anyone has snagged the expansion campaign, could you please say how that works. Does it take place as part of the existing campaign, or as a sequel, or can you start it from level 1 as a standalone thing?

Corridor posted:

I don't mind the price, and I could just about live with the 2 GB requirement so long as I marathoned it to free up the space again later. What kills it for me is the need to have 4.5 GB of free space to install it in the first place. I traded down to a 16 GB mini and I just can't find that much space for one game right now, not with all my work files on it too.

XCOM is going to break my heart when the install size is known.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 2, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Bummey posted:

Descend RPG is bad, as poo poo. Play Tumulus of Fen instead. Tumulus is bad as poo poo.

No trust me play Descend instead. Tumulus is terrible and I've played 90s dungeon crawler RPGs like candy back in the day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You might as well be playing The Quest.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id305553708?mt=8

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
But then you'd need all the expansions!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I picked up Tumulus a week or so ago on the thread's recommendation and I've been finding it kind of--- milquetoast. The class-specific combat is an interesting spin on turn-based, but there's very little tension because it's ridiculously easy to escape to the surface and the enemies have been virtually impossible to not avoid. I got down to level four and died once, and found myself back in town missing some unimportant items and down some change, which didn't seem like a huge setback. Worse, it was actually cheaper than buying a teleport scroll.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Ghostlight posted:

I picked up Tumulus a week or so ago on the thread's recommendation and I've been finding it kind of--- milquetoast. The class-specific combat is an interesting spin on turn-based, but there's very little tension because it's ridiculously easy to escape to the surface and the enemies have been virtually impossible to not avoid. I got down to level four and died once, and found myself back in town missing some unimportant items and down some change, which didn't seem like a huge setback. Worse, it was actually cheaper than buying a teleport scroll.

I got it too because of a recommendation here and what I learned is that those recommendations are hit and miss and only get them if they're free.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But it's only the price of [insert snack item here]

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
People were talking about two Minecraft style games a while ago. One was a tower defence and one was just a straight up Minecraft clone (but apparently better than MPE). What were they called?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

^^^ Survivalcraft, I think. It has all the Minecraft elements that the MC dev said it was impossible to port to iOS.

I quite liked Tumulus. I'm not sure why. It just has a sort of bare-bones charm to it.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Decided to pick up KOTOR on a complete whim. I somehow never got round to playing it when it was on Xbox and haven't paid any attention to the sequels.

I think a good 3 hour session is in order tonight to see what all the fuss is about :)

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

101 posted:

People were talking about two Minecraft style games a while ago. One was a tower defence and one was just a straight up Minecraft clone (but apparently better than MPE). What were they called?

Yes, SurvivalCraft. It's an excellent game that really does offer a much fuller Minecraft experience on mobile than MCPE does. Infinite worlds, natural cave systems, electrical systems (pretty much a full redstone alternative apart from pistons, but almost made up for by one-block logic gates). Also it's goddamn gorgeous looking, with weather effects, sunsets, and you can download texture packs and hot swap them.

It's $4 well spent.

I've just installed and fallen in love with the Sphax texture pack. It turns the game into goddamn Wind Waker.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

101 posted:

The other one you're asking for probably is Block Fortress.

• Locked thread