Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

4 -- Curve adjustment

What do you look for in the curve adjustment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

accipter posted:

What do you look for in the curve adjustment?
I play with the wavy line until I see an image I like. I wish I could make that sound more professional.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I play with the wavy line until I see an image I like. I wish I could make that sound more professional.

That is my general technique as well, but I am pretty inexperienced at it.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

I think I'm going to try your method out.

Do you typically adjust the curve for the entire image or just the foreground/background?

Tenbux Tincan
Dec 22, 2004

Honk!

Hawk by Tenbux, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Pelicans are goddamn terrifying dinosaur monsters.

Pelicans Are Scary Dinosaurs 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

Pelicans Are Scary Dinosaurs 5 by Execudork, on Flickr

Pelicans Are Scary Dinosaurs 7 by Execudork, on Flickr

Pelicans Are Scary Dinosaurs 8 by Execudork, on Flickr

Pelicans Are Scary Dinosaurs 11 by Execudork, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I'm glad to hear you guys like the videos - I'm in the middle of starting a documentary nonprofit with a couple other people, and we're going to have a few shorts and a bird-centric feature underway before too long. I'll keep posting any remarkable bird snippets I shoot here, and any bird-related shorts we produce.

InternetJunky posted:

This is my favourite of those you posted. What a great pose! Just my opinion, but I think a bit of post work would really make this shot stand out (crop more off the left, sharpen a bit, and lighten the wren).
Oh, absolutely - this is just coming off of an initial grade in Red Cine Pro X, and one can spend a lifetime trying to get a sharp, contrasty, colorful image out of one of these old beasts. If it's used in a film (and it probably will be because that's the best shot of a marsh wren I've gotten so far) it will get a finishing in DaVinci Resolve, but that will have to wait until we get some grants/seed money/crowdsourcing money flowing into the nonprofit and can afford a proper color correction suite (and hopefully a Sigma 300-800 that won't need as much massaging in post). I'd hesitate to chop more off the left, though, since those cattails with their wonky tendrils are such great compositional elements.

I spent some more time around the lagoons today, and have some diving osprey footage set up to render out overnight. The juvenile bald eagle crested over a hilltop briefly, and I saw what were probably its parents fishing off the coast in roughly the same direction, so I think I have a general idea of where their nest might be.

ExecuDork posted:

Pelicans Are Scary Dinosaurs 4 by Execudork, on Flickr
Yes they are, and I think that one on the left is turning itself inside out.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 31, 2013

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Excellent stuff! What's with the weird fin thing on the top bill? I never realized they had that.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Not as exotic as the usual fare here, but those colours :)

Starling on the lawn by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Starling and chick by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Will have to charge the battery on my 50D to get some crop sensor extra length out of my 70-200mm (and maybe go further than my back door looking for subjects)

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Really like this one. Sometimes I find it funny how some common birds (black-billed magpie, common grackle) photograph magnificently in the right light.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

neckbeard posted:

Really like this one. Sometimes I find it funny how some common birds (black-billed magpie, common grackle) photograph magnificently in the right light.

I agree. Grackles and starlings are some of my favorite birds.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

I find it funny how some common birds (black-billed magpie, common grackle) photograph magnificently in the right light.
Oh hey, look what I found last night:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Not as exotic as the usual fare here, but those colours :)

Starling on the lawn by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr
This is a beautiful shot and I'm very jealous. I have yet to get a picture of a starling despite them being everywhere. They are amazingly talented at flying away just as focus locks on them.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Some more from yesterday

HAI!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

smallmouth posted:

What's with the weird fin thing on the top bill? I never realized they had that.

Mating season.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Moon Potato posted:

Yes they are, and I think that one on the left is turning itself inside out.
Like you wouldn't rest your tongue on your neck and flop your jaws down to your chest if you could.
I ended up using a different shot of that individual as my new Flickr avatar ("buddy picture"). My old Flickr av was a shot of a pelican taken on my first day playing with my camera when I got it - same camera, same lens as that more recent set. Seemed somehow appropriate to satisfy "new" Flickr's insistence I upload a higher-resolution photo.

smallmouth posted:

Excellent stuff! What's with the weird fin thing on the top bill? I never realized they had that.
They only have it during breeding season (like Maker of Shoes said), and both sexes have it. Some of them have multiple top-fins, it's like there's a whole row of knobby growths along the top of the bill. I can't find any more information than that, or if other species of pelicans have anything similar. It just contributes further to the whole "scary dinosaurs" aspect of pelicans. I wonder if those horns drop off at the end of the breeding season, like deer antlers?

Keep in mind that while the Trumpeter Swan is technically the heaviest bird native to North America, with adult male weights of up to 14kg (weirdly, male swans are bigger than females - I assume they fight with each other as well as with hapless canoeists), they're vegetarians while the American White Pelican can reach the same weight (less commonly, I suppose) and have a larger wingspan - and they're carnivores!

Every time I see them I remember why the term "gape-limited predator" is always in my mind.

EDIT: I went digging through Web of Science to try to learn more about those horns. I didn't learn anything about that, but I did learn more scariness:
They travel long distances, and give no fucks, going where they want

Reudink et al., 2011 posted:

The lack of population genetic structure in American white pelicans provides an example of range-wide panmixia, a rare phenomenon in any terrestrial species.
They hunt at night

"McMahon and Evans, 1992 posted:

From two to three times as many pelicans foraged at night as in the daytime, with foraging flocks being larger at night. In contrast, more pelicans were present at adjacent loafing sites during the day.
Also I love the term "loafing sites".

And they're pedophile rapists!

Sommers et al., 2007 posted:

We suggest that FC [Forced Copulations] directed at nestlings is not simply an aberrant and nonadaptive behavior. Rather, copulations with nestlings result from adult male pelicans being inappropriately stimulated to copulate with nestlings when actually seeking copulations with adult females.
:stonk:

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 31, 2013

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I'm curious if anyone uses anything like this while shooting? I was thinking of getting one and draping it over myself and the camera to see if I could get birds to wander any closer to me. I like the idea of having something really mobile to take with me.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 31, 2013

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

smallmouth posted:

I'm curious if anyone uses anything like this while shooting? I was thinking of getting one and draping it over myself and the camera to see if I could get birds to would wander any closer to me. I like the idea of having something really mobile to take with me.
I got this as a Christmas present but haven't had a chance to use it yet (this weekend!). It's very rough and scratchy -- I planned to sit under a tripod and drape this over the tripod. If it works well I'll probably upgrade to a full blind.

[edit] Also got a hunting pillow for the ground.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I've used a few styles of camo blinds in the course of work.

These "car-shade" styles are small, light and quick to set up. They're also quick to put down until one of the edges gets bent, then you you are screwed. Plenty roomy.

For the grouse work we mostly use variations of the "umbrella" style- six-sided blinds kind of like this here (but not exactly like this). They are quite a bit heavier (you'd feel like a pack-mule trudging out with this and a big tripod, camera kit, and chair, etc). However, they usually do set up quickly, are super roomy (can fit 3 people plus gear, or can lay down completely prone). Another advantage is you can set them up the day before, stake them down, then show up in the morning and pop em up. The mesh screens give you lots of flexibility and visibility in how you set up. For some reason these are really hard to find now.

We also have one of these cubes (not sure if it is this exact one or not)- even bigger and heavier than the umbrella style but really quick set-up. I don't really like the windows in the particular model we have (really noisy velcro around the screens), but they change the details of the design every time I look so it could be better now.

For any of these you may need to play around with it a bit to get ground level shots, as the windows are at least 2 feet up. I'm usually not exclusively doing photography, but sometimes I've had a bird close to the blind and there's been enough slack in the side material to let me flip up the bottom and stick the lens hood through to get a low-angle shot.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

smallmouth posted:

I'm curious if anyone uses anything like this while shooting? I was thinking of getting one and draping it over myself and the camera to see if I could get birds to wander any closer to me. I like the idea of having something really mobile to take with me.

I played around with blinds when I was a teenager trying to take pictures of wrens. The problem with draping the material over you is that your movements still move the blind. Having separation between the blind wall and your body is valuable.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

accipter posted:

I played around with blinds when I was a teenager trying to take pictures of wrens. The problem with draping the material over you is that your movements still move the blind. Having separation between the blind wall and your body is valuable.

Good point. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We also have one of these cubes (not sure if it is this exact one or not)- even bigger and heavier than the umbrella style but really quick set-up. I don't really like the windows in the particular model we have (really noisy velcro around the screens), but they change the details of the design every time I look so it could be better now.
I have the Ameristep Brickhouse, which is one of the 'cube' ones. The problem with the windows isn't the velco (I've replaced that with better netting with velco only on the top edge) but that the windows are too high. I've yet to find a fold-up chair/stool that gives me the couple of extra inches I need to comfortable alignment with my camera-on-tripod. I know people with the Ameristep Doghouse blind, and it's much better suited to photography. Cheaper too.

I realise it goes against your separation-from-the-material observation, but I've seen lots of people successfully use throw-over bag hides:

http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/retail/acatalog/Throwover_Bag_Hides_.html

I plan to get one for all the times when their flexibility and small footprint makes more sense than trying to stick up my Brickhouse.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Osprey footage from yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTL8pnXQsMY

This is the most successful attempt at tracking a dive I've had so far, but these things are tricky and don't telegraph their movements like the other raptors I've been shooting. Gonna keep trying until I get one fully in frame and not obscured by reeds.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Moon Potato posted:

Osprey footage from yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTL8pnXQsMY

This is the most successful attempt at tracking a dive I've had so far, but these things are tricky and don't telegraph their movements like the other raptors I've been shooting. Gonna keep trying until I get one fully in frame and not obscured by reeds.
This is pretty awesome. It looked like he hit the ground at the end.

What are you using to capture this? It's very smooth motion considering how crazy their dives can be.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I have the Ameristep Brickhouse, which is one of the 'cube' ones. The problem with the windows isn't the velco (I've replaced that with better netting with velco only on the top edge) but that the windows are too high. I've yet to find a fold-up chair/stool that gives me the couple of extra inches I need to comfortable alignment with my camera-on-tripod. I know people with the Ameristep Doghouse blind, and it's much better suited to photography. Cheaper too.

I realise it goes against your separation-from-the-material observation, but I've seen lots of people successfully use throw-over bag hides:

http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/retail/acatalog/Throwover_Bag_Hides_.html

I plan to get one for all the times when their flexibility and small footprint makes more sense than trying to stick up my Brickhouse.
This looks great and is what I've actually been searching for. Hopefully my setup works well with the camo-tarp, but if it doesn't I might try this next. Especially for water/shore birds I like to be as low to the ground as possible and this certainly allows for that.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

This is pretty awesome. It looked like he hit the ground at the end.

What are you using to capture this? It's very smooth motion considering how crazy their dives can be.

This is shot with a Red Epic and Canon 150-600/5.6L on an oldschool Cartoni fluid head. Even with that, the osprey are a real challenge - the kites and harriers I've been shooting will fan their tails and shift their wings noticeably when changing direction, but the osprey don't give much of an indication before they pull out of a dive or swerve drastically.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

I agree- the windows are particularly high on those models. It's not totally ergonomic, but I have one of those REI camp stools, and I can usually lean forward enough to get my eye up to the camera. definitely not ideal though. Most of our older blinds have enough rips in them that there's usually some sort of incidental view port lower down.

I can definitely see the advantage of something like the smaller blind there. Our bigger blinds are handy for being in a known spot for 4 hours every day, which is probably not what most of you guys are doing. For something like a grouse lek, you really need to be there until all the birds leave on their own, so having a little room to stretch out is pretty nice. There are poo poo-heads out there who go grouse-watching in a ghilly suit or small blind like that, and just stand up and walk away when they are done taking pictures (and scaring all the birds off the lek).

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
You guys researching birds are cool. Here are some desert birds.

Western Tanager belly

El Paso County by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Sassy Scaled Quail

Blue-grey Gnatcatcher

Hermit Thrush? I've never really tried to identify thrushes before, so this was a bit of a mystery.

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Swainson's Hawk, seeing if I'm dead yet

Red-tailed Hawk

Greater Roadrunner, finally

Up next, a trip to Rattlesnake Springs! Big, beautiful cottonwood trees, and we were the only ones there all morning. Bring a picnic and binoculars if you're near Carlsbad.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

He is fat and mad and I love it

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ghost Cactus posted:

Sassy Scaled Quail

Sassy indeed. :3:

Great post!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Red-necked Grebe by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Barn Swallow by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Blue Jay by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Looks like you and I had a similar day yesterday. I love the detail and colours on both the Grebe and Swallow.

Yesterday was the first time I was able to get out in a kayak and shoot this year. I was going to setup a blind on an island in the lake I was kayaking in but ended up chasing waterbirds all over the lake instead.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alright, I'm a totally newbie but I've been trying to shoot as many birds as possible in the last two weeks. Two cocks fighting at the farm down the street.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Birds are cool

Couple of sandhill cranes

Fuzzy baby goose :3:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

This is pretty loving amazing.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Looks like you and I had a similar day yesterday. I love the detail and colours on both the Grebe and Swallow.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is pretty loving amazing.

Thanks guys

IJ - whereabouts did you see that turkey vulture you posted recently? Seems a bit weird to have them up here, but I guess with climate change, bird territorial ranges are getting messed up, especially further up north.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
shamelessly cross-posting this from the wildlife thread because I didn't see this one first. I shot a lot of film on my grandfathers old Olymus OM2 but now I can't get film developed anywhere locally. Luckily my sister gave me her old Nikon D80 and my dad is letting me borrow a 300mm sigma lens. No auto-focus on it but whatever, I'm used to that. I got these at Great Falls in MD on Memorial day, they aren't bad but I'm still figuring out this camera. I'm loosing some resolution because I had to crop these and they aren't as sharp as I'd like them to be. I think ISO was 1600 and my shutter speed was 3200-4000. Any tips? I'm still figuring out all the settings on this camera.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

IMG_8205 by Opals25, on Flickr

I don't know what this guy is! :buddy:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Huggable Bear King posted:

Any tips? I'm still figuring out all the settings on this camera.
I shoot with a D90 pretty frequently, and I find it pretty useful to make it display a histogram after shooting (which, on this model, happens when you press "down" on the directional pad when in memory mode. Not sure if the D80 is different). Also, Nikon's color science tends to shift things towards green and orange, so I usually shift the tint toward magenta quite a bit and knock a few degrees off of the color temperature in post (going by Aperture's RAW interpretation, other platforms may vary).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Opals25 posted:

IMG_8205 by Opals25, on Flickr

I don't know what this guy is! :buddy:

Looks like a Northern Mockingbird.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Welp, I went out back to the eagle nest I'd visited last year to see what was up. The tree had blown over and there were several tiny eagle corpses littering the area :(

I did get to see birds playing with a feather though.

DSC_1383 by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

This guy was taking up a feather, releasing it, and then swooping down and catching it in the air:

DSC_1385 by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_1399 by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Hard to make out in the next one. Another bird joined in and they were repeatedly doing this (cooperatively/competitively?)

DSC_1401 by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

I did get to see birds playing with a feather though.

Excellent. I wonder how common that behaviour is. could be worth further research.

Meanwhile, I didn't think my first contribution to this thread would be a duck, taken on film, but there you go.

Crossposting from the Camera Around The World thread:

CAW 15 by M Walts, on Flickr

Taken using a 50mm lens. He was very chill, until he noticed me focusing, when he then started doing very short 'wacs' before flying across the road after one shot was taken.