Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VenimeuxHaine
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone on test willing to send a suit of abstruse bard armor to Navrant? I've been watching the bazaar but none have popped up.

By the way, I'm still on during the weekends with my sk/shm/brd group if anyone wants to join. I'm 83 and just about to head into Ashengate for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MrTheDevious posted:

Stuff sent, said he's off P for the weekend til raid

I think maxing other people's TSes now counts as a part time job for me. Pro trade skiller available for hire.

About 26 hours from start to finish. The magic of being able to dupe materials and plat over to test server, plus caffeine.
But even testcopying doesn't remove all of the subcombine time sinks from brewing or pottery.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 2, 2013

LAMB LESSONS
Jun 27, 2003

show me ur feet
I haven't played since Velious and I didn't think the game would be able to grab me again but so far I love it. I've made a necro just so I can mess around solo for awhile and maybe farm some plat before I make alts. So far I've just been soloing bears and stuff in Crescent Reach and I'm at level 12. I know levelling is a lot faster now, but is there any gear or are there any quests that I should be looking for other than just parking somewhere and killing stuff over and over?

Edit: Thanks, SalTheBard and ponzicar!

LAMB LESSONS fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 2, 2013

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

LAMB LESSONS posted:

I haven't played since Velious and I didn't think the game would be able to grab me again but so far I love it. I've made a necro just so I can mess around solo for awhile and maybe farm some plat before I make alts. So far I've just been soloing bears and stuff in Crescent Reach and I'm at level 12. I know levelling is a lot faster now, but is there any gear or are there any quests that I should be looking for other than just parking somewhere and killing stuff over and over?

The hotzones drop Defiant gear that is awesome. Level appropriate Defiant gear will really speed things along.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

LAMB LESSONS posted:

The hero's journey quests for crescent reach and blightfire moors are worth doing. Great rewards and are all easy to do. Type /ach to see them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm close to hitting 95 now on my box group (monk/war/bard/sham/dru) and am looking for some "projects" to work on. By that, I mean stuff like the MPG trials that maybe not everyone knows about these days, but can still offer a nice bonus for high level characters. I'm thinking about doing the DoN raid progression for the AAs it unlocks next. Anyone have some other suggestions for older quest lines that would still be of benefit to modern characters?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

The hotzones drop Defiant gear that is awesome. Level appropriate Defiant gear will really speed things along.
Actually Defiant drops equally in all zones, not just hot zones. Unless you level really slowly, you won't be anywhere close to filling all gear slots as you level, but what you find does add up. I've levelled a team of Nec/Dru to 65 using zero twink gear or outside plat, and they have reasonable equipment that I've just found along the way.

Goldmund posted:

I'm close to hitting 95 now on my box group (monk/war/bard/sham/dru) and am looking for some "projects" to work on. By that, I mean stuff like the MPG trials that maybe not everyone knows about these days, but can still offer a nice bonus for high level characters. I'm thinking about doing the DoN raid progression for the AAs it unlocks next. Anyone have some other suggestions for older quest lines that would still be of benefit to modern characters?
Got Epic 2.0's for all your characters? There are also chest items from the OoW expansion with effects that are still useful for certain classes, for example the Monk Stillmind Tunic.

As for not-so-useful but interesting projects, I have personally done a ton of 1.0's, and also completed a lot of Plane of Sky quests for my Monk. Totally pointless, but I think Sky is awesome. There are also all those old "rite of passage" quests from The Temple of Solusek Ro, like Burning Rapier, Monk headband/sash quests, Totemic/Lambent/etc. Armor.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There's that type 3 aug with a dodge skill modifier bought from the points you get for doing Everfrost Lost Dungeons instances.

Thete's also the classic missions from Old Man Mckenzie in pok. Those have some unique and useful effects on them for some classes.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Goldmund posted:

I'm working on port item quests to pass the time. At 95 they should be a relative breeze.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=74202 - pok port
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=69882 - akanon port
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=81775 - zeka port
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=54208 - the steppes
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=473 - overthere port
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=36900 - seru port
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=11400 - dreadlands port
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=106328 - shard's landing port

What am I missing?

Sancho fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 5, 2013

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Goldmund posted:

This has limited charges, is rechargeable, but is probably something you really should get for your shaman for those buttcheek clenching wipes:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1640

Bixie essence off the bee island,
ring only drops off a mob you have to trigger when on the bee island.
The feather comes from the pegasus island, droppable so you may find it in the bazaar.

The drops aren't rare so you shouldn't have to do more than a couple trips to that stupid zone.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Great suggestions, looks like I'll be busy for a while.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DoN progression AAs
MPG resist AAs
2.0s for select classes
OoW BPs for select classes
PoR raid and group BPs for select classes
DoN quest clickie from Vish + Yar'lir eyes for select classes
Dodge aug from EF LDoNs
Specialization aug(s) from LDoN raids (type 8 augs, so needs raid gear)
PoSky quested items for select classes
Shawl quest line for most classes
Old Man McKkenzie clickies of various power
BiC aug is still useful for some classes
DA clickies from various missions.
Wood elf illusion 'quest'
Jester illusion & 24 slot bag quest

I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing. It's a bit easier when you're only looking for 1 or 2 classes and can cut a lot of these.

From current stuff, the Crystal Circle builder's aug, the collection aug and the Hero aug are all really good.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Edit: Nevermind

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 5, 2013

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Are you planning on powerleveling to 80+ and then going back and breezing through? Or do you mean to get the best gear possible from the bazaar as you level up doing those quests? One way is far cheaper than the other! On FV, lvl 70 and under raid gear is for some reason more expensive than lvl 75, 80, 85, sometimes 92 raid gear. Money can go quicker than you think. Casters are cheaper than melee classes to equip. Rangers are another class to consider.

If you want to maximize your plat, I'd do the following:

70k Buy Ceremonial Elixir of Scholarship in bazaar (10 charge double exp pot)
200k Get a PL lvl 1-70. 2 hours maybe, with exp pots. You need an AOE of some sort. Mages, wizards, bards are good here, as are drakkin with breath.
180k Get ye to Honeybooboo in Feerot. Dude has been 8-boxing feerot for months and is quite good at getting you massive exp in a short time. 2 hours to get to 80, with exp pots.
??? Buy cheap lvl 80 gear, bypass the expensive twink gear economy entirely!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

jetz0r posted:

DoN progression AAs
MPG resist AAs
2.0s for select classes
OoW BPs for select classes
PoR raid and group BPs for select classes
DoN quest clickie from Vish + Yar'lir eyes for select classes
Dodge aug from EF LDoNs
Specialization aug(s) from LDoN raids (type 8 augs, so needs raid gear)
PoSky quested items for select classes
Shawl quest line for most classes
Old Man McKkenzie clickies of various power
BiC aug is still useful for some classes
DA clickies from various missions.
Wood elf illusion 'quest'
Jester illusion & 24 slot bag quest

I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing. It's a bit easier when you're only looking for 1 or 2 classes and can cut a lot of these.

From current stuff, the Crystal Circle builder's aug, the collection aug and the Hero aug are all really good.

This is a pretty kickass list. Thanks!

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

quote:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=106328 (shard's landing ring)

Just gonna let you know you get ONE option from this quest and taking the ring means you pass up a REALLY REALLY good aug choice.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Stanos posted:

Just gonna let you know you get ONE option from this quest and taking the ring means you pass up a REALLY REALLY good aug choice.

I'm on FV so I can have both. The bracer is no-drop even on FV so it is more precious to me. On a normal server it's a tough choice but the aug get worse and worse every year while the bracer does what it does all the time.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Even on FV I still thing the aug would be a better choice since let's be real here, how badly do you need to be able to get to shard's RIGHT NOW that a ring would be faster than gating to lobby or anchoring to a guild hall? Now imagine later when next expansion is in Mithaniel Marr's brain or whatever they manage to go with next.

I mean I'm all for utility items but I still think the aug's gonna be a better sell down the road than the ring.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The next expansion is also going to have more augs, with better stats.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The aug has good enough stats to be worth using for another 3-4 expansions.

The dru/wiz port in spot is also terrible in SL. Anchor -> GH -> SL probably gets you where you want to go faster than running from the SL zone in.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

You underestimate my laziness. It's 1 zone-in vs 2, it's free and with a fast mount it's quick. Also better for City of Bronze! In 4-5 expansions I'd rather have this. It would be an interesting race to SL proper though. I don't doubt it would be close.

The aug on FV can always be bought or sold, the bracer can't. It's a great aug that's why I bought it. I also think Shard's Landing will be a uniquely awesome zone for powerleveling and will be popular for for quite some time once the gear can handle it.

Sancho fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 5, 2013

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

ponzicar posted:

The next expansion is also going to have more augs, with better stats.

HoT augs are still desirable, and the shard's aug is REALLY good for tanks. It's not going to be useless for a few years. Hell, even the leap from VoA -> RoF augs wasn't really that large. I haven't really played in T3 RoF but T2 augs outsides of the bastard in breeding grounds were mostly poo poo.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Where are people getting RoF maps from these days? Mapfiend seems dead past VoA

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
eqresource.com has them.

windsock12
Nov 17, 2012
I started playing again about a week or so ago on the Xegony/Druzzil Ro server. I'm still in the old SA guild Serious Business and if anyone is on the server and guildless send a tell to Glaan or Reeriena for an invite.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

For you Optimal playing tanks, here's a really useful hotkey that automates the steam suit illusion, removing the illusion, then going in to simple gnomework.

/pause 16,/useitem 31 1 <location of your Polymorph Wand: Steam Suit>
/block add me 12401
/block remove me 12401
/useitem 32 2 <Location of your Polymorph Wand: Simple Gnomework>

You'll need to put in the location of your two illusion items, obv. But this saves a bunch of clicks and annoyance every time you need to rebuff.

If you have a higher ping, raise the pause, 18ish for 120ms seems to work.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 7, 2013

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I'm in on FV as Eminence, low level mage just grinding my way up if anyone wants to group. I just had surgery so I'm playing a lot.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 7, 2013

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
Honestly, just sub to Redguides for a month and then cancel the subscription. You'll get a shitload of useful macros (KISSAssist alone is worth the sub) and custom plugins, and last time I looked a sub there was only $5ish anyway.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I ran a few LDoN last night, working towards the dodge aug. There is a trick to requesting one at high levels, since the average level can't exceed 82, and you can't have more than a 15 level spread. Basically, all you need to do is invite one character to your group and have them camp out for the duration. That player counts as a level 0 for your average, but doesn't count against your level spread since it is camped out. I was able to get my group of 5 level 94 dudes in with no problem.

Also, I'd suggest killing every mob and looting. Seemed the average coin drop was about 12p per corpse, and there were lots of gems as well. Mob density is pretty high, so it adds up quick.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Didn't they patch out the upper level limit for LDoNs a while back? I was lucky enough to have enough points saved up from when the expansion was new, so I didn't have to run them after I returned to EQ. It was a great expansion by the way, and I wish they made a newer one like it. Super easy to find a group, and people were dungeon crawling instead of camping.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You know, honestly I didn't even try requesting one normally first. Everything I found online pointed to a level cap, but with a game this old it's hard finding current info on everything. I'll have to try it later.

I've been playing off and on since beta, but LDoN never really grabbed me. Most of my play time was spent raiding, and I wasn't a fan of instanced content back then. I love instances now that I play mostly solo/boxing though.

Edit: Yup, I'm a retard. Was just able to request an LDoN with 5 94's in group, no problems.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 7, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
LDON cap is long since gone. Takes about 3 hours to go from no points to dodge aug, so do that for sure no matter what class you are.

Anyone using the SL quest for the port click instead of aug is retarded. By the time you don't use the aug anymore, you also won't be going to SL for anything. Don't be stupid, get the aug or we'll all make fun of your dumb rear end

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

LDON cap is long since gone. Takes about 3 hours to go from no points to dodge aug, so do that for sure no matter what class you are.

Anyone using the SL quest for the port click instead of aug is retarded. By the time you don't use the aug anymore, you also won't be going to SL for anything. Don't be stupid, get the aug or we'll all make fun of your dumb rear end

Anyone on FV who picks the aug instead is retarded or more likely broke I guess. You can have both, but not if you pick the aug as a quest reward.

I am thankful for those people though or I would not have both.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Ok some dumb questions I should have asked a long time ago:
Take out the effects of the 4000/400% AA scaling, and are AA and regXP tied together? What I mean is, if I kill a yellow con mob with slider at 100% it can give like up to 90% AA, it seems that these mobs give a lot of regular XP as well. This makes sense to me and is how I pictured it in my mind, why else would the AA slider exist if AA can't be made equivalent to regular XP.

My problem is I see a lot of people talking about and doing AA xping on lt.blue mobs, and then do regular XPing on yellow/white mobs. Why is this, how can something be good AA but not regXP? This makes it seem like there's some special magic formula XP that lt.blue mobs give with regards to AA. Or is this something special with swarming classes?

Maybe it's a matter of milking an easy camp to catch up on their AAs before they hit a new zone. I just don't get the traditional mindset that lightblues are for AA and blue/white/yellow mobs for XP.

God drat this post is a mess, anyways:
As a 3boxing group; regular pulling, tanking, DPSing, no kiting, root rotting, or AOE. At low 90s where should I XP, and if possible, get some loots that aren't 4 expansions behind?

I have HoT t3 access, my gear is a little slacking non-visible wise but I have some RoF t1 armor in the works when I get 92.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 9, 2013

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Finish HoT flagging and if one of your boxes is a wizard/druid GET TELEPORT BIND (Best AA ever) and bind yourself in Sanctum Somnium or Morell's Castle. Kodaji did a lot of Morell's so he can comment on camps there but when I was on test 9/10 I'd port up to SS and have it to myself. Good for burning pots/LOTD past 93ish but at 90 it's superb XP.

There's a safe camp near the fountain at the zone in where its hard to run out of mobs at 90. Even at 95 with some stretching I could keep a mob in camp without waiting too long.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

darkhand posted:

Take out the effects of the 4000/400% AA scaling, and are AA and regXP tied together? What I mean is, if I kill a yellow con mob with slider at 100% it can give like up to 90% AA, it seems that these mobs give a lot of regular XP as well. This makes sense to me and is how I pictured it in my mind, why else would the AA slider exist if AA can't be made equivalent to regular XP.

My problem is I see a lot of people talking about and doing AA xping on lt.blue mobs, and then do regular XPing on yellow/white mobs. Why is this, how can something be good AA but not regXP? This makes it seem like there's some special magic formula XP that lt.blue mobs give with regards to AA. Or is this something special with swarming classes?

Maybe it's a matter of milking an easy camp to catch up on their AAs before they hit a new zone. I just don't get the traditional mindset that lightblues are for AA and blue/white/yellow mobs for XP.

God drat this post is a mess, anyways:
As a 3boxing group; regular pulling, tanking, DPSing, no kiting, root rotting, or AOE. At low 90s where should I XP, and if possible, get some loots that aren't 4 expansions behind?

I have HoT t3 access, my gear is a little slacking non-visible wise but I have some RoF t1 armor in the works when I get 92.

You ask me nicely, and I send you a full set of RoF armor + weapons + non-visible gear when you hit 92.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Stanos posted:

Finish HoT flagging and if one of your boxes is a wizard/druid GET TELEPORT BIND (Best AA ever) and bind yourself in Sanctum Somnium or Morell's Castle. Kodaji did a lot of Morell's so he can comment on camps there but when I was on test 9/10 I'd port up to SS and have it to myself. Good for burning pots/LOTD past 93ish but at 90 it's superb XP.

There's a safe camp near the fountain at the zone in where its hard to run out of mobs at 90. Even at 95 with some stretching I could keep a mob in camp without waiting too long.

Morell's sucks rear end, I just wanted augs there. Don't xp in MC, go to SS and plow faces if you're just after xp. SS has augs to pick up too. Once you get the 92 gear, everything before it is obsolete other than augs, so just plow to 92 in SS

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Goldmund posted:

This is a pretty kickass list. Thanks!

I still see masochists trying to camp the circle of power belt from Relic from time to time

gently caress that drop

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

darkhand posted:

They work on separate mechanics, as the EQ devs wanted to ensure that they would be no abuse or power levelling shenannigans with AA XP (although damage shield PL'ing still works). You can't cheat it by setting 90%/10% like you suggest; that won't give you any bonus other than maybe placebo. The slider just exists in order to let people mix and match XP and AA. You can also set it precisely with the /alt on command, for example /alt on 55 sets AA XP to 55%. It can be handy if you have two characters where one levels faster than the other for various reasons, and you want to keep them in sync.

From my experience, the difference between yellow and light blue is indeed greater when it comes to regular XP, although I haven't tested it. Killing yellows for real XP yields seriously nice chunks of XP, whereas the difference between yellows and light blues for AA XP doesn't seem that great compared to the effort. It might still just be my imagination.

The main reason people mass grind light blues for AA though is simply because that's your only option at high levels. Killing single yellows remains viable up to level 100 actually, but not en masse, and particularly not once you get to HoT+ content. Light blues though remain decent AA XP (and also mediocre normal XP), and can be mowed down by the dozens depending on your class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

After a million swarm sessions + tons of xping in RoF, the mechanics are most certainly different for the two. Like Illa just said, yellows/reds are the only honestly efficient means of regular xp, but mass plowing light blues is flat better AA/hr until you're way deep into 100 and can assrape T3 RoF mobs to the point they're dying every 30 seconds

Relic CoP drop - totally stupid, better off camping the stuff in Elddar. That said, RoF T3 has a named for every tier 1 circle, so if you don't have one, go camp those instead. The CoPower is off of Glorig in Chelsith, same mob who drops the EM 14