Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I just started reading this thread, so sorry if someone else already did this -

I grabbed the 4 images from the article and did a re-stitch. Feel free to use it if you want:

EDIT: A version with the bottom cropped out as well. This one has more detail since it looks like imgur limits the max dimensions - by cropping the bottom it lets us keep higher resolution for the rest.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011
This particular one was solved, so try picking one of the ones that haven't been and do one of those.

e: grammar sucks

PunkNickel fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 2, 2013

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

PunkNickel posted:

This particular one was solved, so try picking one of the ones that haven't been and doing that.

It's redoing the image from the OP, which he asked for better versions of. I'm aware that one is solved, but I thought a better explanation image might help people who are getting into this.

allta posted:

This particular cask was found in Cleveland. In the Cleveland cultural gardens. And below is a rough put-together of the notes/clues found in the image that lead him to the cask.

I apologize for the poor quality, I tried combining the fragments from the magazine and apparently there different sizes. If anyone wants to take a better attempt at it I'll swap them out.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Maguro posted:

I live in uptown New Orleans, so it wouldn't be too hard for me to go check out the spot. Also anyone interested in the New orleans cask go read my post on page 2. It solidifies that it's in Armstrong park in my mind.

Dude! Print out the picture and the verse and walk the route. You know you want to! I think just being there with the picture and the verse may be all you need to finish this thing off. You might also find out who does the ground keeping for the park so whoever wants to dig can get permission.

Edit: I really like the "giant step" being musical. Look for something at the park like that.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 2, 2013

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

clockworx posted:

It's redoing the image from the OP, which he asked for better versions of. I'm aware that one is solved, but I thought a better explanation image might help people who are getting into this.

My bad, I get what you're doing. Carry on good sir.

Love this thread...I've already said it, but have to repeat it. This poo poo is so awesome.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Dude! Print out the picture and the verse and walk the route. You know you want to! I think just being there with the picture and the verse may be all you need to finish this thing off. You might also find out who does the ground keeping for the park so whoever wants to dig can get permission.

That brings up a question I have, did the author get permission to dig in these places? Or did he just give himself permission and do it.

If he did get permission wouldn't there be some kind of record for that? I mean that would take out all the fun of doing it ourselves, but once everyone's agreed it has to be in "this garden, within 10 steps" couldn't we just ask whomever would've granted permission?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

PunkNickel posted:

That brings up a question I have, did the author get permission to dig in these places? Or did he just give himself permission and do it.

If he did get permission wouldn't there be some kind of record for that? I mean that would take out all the fun of doing it ourselves, but once everyone's agreed it has to be in "this garden, within 10 steps" couldn't we just ask whomever would've granted permission?

In the magazine story that clockworx posted at the top of this page, there's an interview with the artist, Palencar, and he says that (at least for the Cleveland one) he actually stood lookout for the author while they buried the cask. So my impression is no, they did these on their own. I think it was probably a little easier to get away with in the early 80s...

allta
Mar 28, 2011
somehow I cant imagine Byron going around to various park and rec departments of cities and asking if he could dig up a very specific spot and bury treasure.

Back in those days, no one really cared. That was pre 9/11 and people did weird things all the time without rhyme or reason.

Also, I think were really close to the new orleans cask, all we really need is the last part and I have a feeling that music has something to do with it. I mean its in a very historically musical area. We really just need to pinpoint it down.

Summary posts to come in a few hours!

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Milwaukee...

This doesn't help much for the location of the actual treasure, but I'm about 99.9% sure that the phrases "As you walk the beating of the world, at a distance in time, From three who lived there, in a distance in space" refers to North Old World 3rd Street. It has the word "world," old is the distance in time, 3rd refers to three who lived there, and north is the distance in space.

I'm in Oak Creek until Wednesday morning, so if I can figure more out, I'm willing to scope out the area.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
CASK 11 - Boston

I have found some imagery that I believe to be very significant in the Copley Square/Trinity Church area. Perfect or close matches to some geometry in the image.

There is a park over by the Fens that looks like my park from Yesterday as well, it has the exact same keyhole shape. The problem is getting the directions to get you there is a stretch, and the entire Rose Garden is 1) undiggable 2) was redone in the 2000s.

But my big complaint about Longfellow was the lack of direct imagery, but all of the clues fit. Here I have a lot of imagery, but I can't make the clues fit at all except for the one that points to the BPL wall (Xenophon and Thucydides)

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

acmpsu21 posted:

Milwaukee...

This doesn't help much for the location of the actual treasure, but I'm about 99.9% sure that the phrases "As you walk the beating of the world, at a distance in time, From three who lived there, in a distance in space" refers to North Old World 3rd Street. It has the word "world," old is the distance in time, 3rd refers to three who lived there, and north is the distance in space.

I'm in Oak Creek until Wednesday morning, so if I can figure more out, I'm willing to scope out the area.

Good thinking but the street name was changed to "Old World Third" in the mid to late 1980s. It was just North 3rd Street in 1982.

On a side note, the 3 who lived there probably refers to the three founders of Milwaukee - Juneau, Kilbourn, and Walker.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 2, 2013

Plaid Jacket
Nov 3, 2011

I'll give you five hundred bucks for that busket.

Plaid Jacket fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 11, 2023

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Neutrino posted:

Good thinking but the street name was changed to "Old World Third" in the mid to late 1980s. It was just North 3rd Street in 1982.

On a side note, the 3 who lived there probably refers to the three founders of Milwaukee - Juneau, Kilbourn, and Walker.

drat, you're right... And here I was just convincing myself that "From woman with harpsichord, silently playing" somehow refers to The Marcus Center for performing arts right off Old World, and that there had to be some kind of copper walkway that allows you to "step on nature, cast in copper" that would make you turn right towards City Hall.

e: "Step on nature" could also mean turning down Water Street, water being nature obviously.

Butthead fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 2, 2013

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

xie posted:

CASK 11 - Boston

I have found some imagery that I believe to be very significant in the Copley Square/Trinity Church area. Perfect or close matches to some geometry in the image.

There is a park over by the Fens that looks like my park from Yesterday as well, it has the exact same keyhole shape. The problem is getting the directions to get you there is a stretch, and the entire Rose Garden is 1) undiggable 2) was redone in the 2000s.

But my big complaint about Longfellow was the lack of direct imagery, but all of the clues fit. Here I have a lot of imagery, but I can't make the clues fit at all except for the one that points to the BPL wall (Xenophon and Thucydides)

I'm thinking the Boston one might actually tell you to go inside the library. There's a green space in the middle, with a reflecting pool ("face the water"). It was dug up and restored in the 2000's, though.

Edit: It lines up really well, actually.

If Thucydides is
North of Xenophon (on the building)
Take five steps
In the area of his direction (into the library, not north. The direction of the actual inscription)

A green tower of lights (there are lampposts inside the entrance..)
In the middle section (the courtyard)
Near those
Who pass the coliseum (according to the BPL web site, the entrance is of Roman design, and the art is Roman style)

With metal walls (not sure on this one. There are giant metal doors)
Face the water (the reflecting pool)
Your back to the stairs (of the library)
Feel at home

All the letters
Are here to see (well, it is a library)

Eighteenth day
Twelfth hour
Lit by lamplight

In truth, be free. (Truth and Romance are depicted on one set of metal doors)

Edit edit: Also, all the Roman design there. The country of this riddle is Italy.

Domus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 2, 2013

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Domus posted:

I'm thinking the Boston one might actually tell you to go inside the library. There's a green space in the middle, with a reflecting pool ("face the water"). It was dug up and restored in the 2000's, though.

That's probably the weakest clue though - you can make it fit a lot, most of our stuff has stairs. I doubt it's inside the library, simply because from reading about the Cleveland one from the illustrator, they didn't get permission to bury them, he just did it.

That still leaves plenty of places but it's another reason I still like Longfellow Park, you can dig there. Maybe things were different in 1982 but I have a hard time imagining someone digging up the Rose Garden, even though I really like that as a choice.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Looking at the New Orleans stuff, it has to be in Armstrong Park. Also great connection with the little swimming dude and the statue. I'm in Baton Rouge, could definitely head down to NOLA to take some pics/help search next weekend.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
New Orleans

We aren't the first forum to discover, this PDF. It goes into more detail about this site - new ideas are the "PRES" from preservation is french for Near. And it's near an arch. And there is an arch entrance to the park! And there are 3 trees right next to the arch "Not far away high posts are three". It's got to be buried in that park....maybe where the shadow(?) of something (the pole? ) is at 12 midday on midsummer's day.

Google also found me this forum where someone's already tried to dig the San Fransisco one up. It's a pretty conclusive sounding location documented bottom of page 27. Someone should check it out - particularly the view from that light pole - can you see hills in the distance?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 2, 2013

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

LargeHadron posted:

Boston

The illustration also seems to hint at this area.

See how all the large orbs are partially cut off, and all the small orbs are not? That looks pretty similar to the window design of the First Baptist Church, which is right next to apartments 118/120. The church might also be the castle-looking building on the box she's holding. Oh and my wife says the three windows at the top (big circle, two rectangles) resemble the overall shape of the illustration (woman + window).

The Adama posted:

Feel at home(Minister's living quarters entrance? Total guess on that one.)

Something else I just found out. See the "112" above the flower? Well, Google Maps is telling me that the address of that little building attached to the church is 112 Commonwealth Ave.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

New Orleans

I found an animated sheet music version of Giant Steps. Not sure it will help, but you never know it might yield an idea how to read another clue on the picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kotK9FNEYU

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Comstar posted:

Google also found me this forum where someone's already tried to dig the San Fransisco one up. It's a pretty conclusive sounding location documented bottom of page 27. Someone should check it out - particularly the view from that light pole - can you see hills in the distance?

This picture: Wow.

It's worth noting that the New Orleans pdf thought Giant Step was reference to Neil "Armstrong" as in One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Fistgrrl posted:

It's worth noting that the New Orleans pdf thought Giant Step was reference to Neil "Armstrong" as in One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

Which is what you'd think at first thought, but I don't think Neil Armstrong is as associated with New Orleans as John Coltrane/Jazz/Giant Steps is to a park dedicated to New Orleans Jazz.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Which is what you'd think at first thought, but I don't think Neil Armstrong is as associated with New Orleans as John Coltrane/Jazz/Giant Steps is to a park dedicated to New Orleans Jazz.

I think it's less about the "Neil" and more about the association with "Armstrong."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Plaid Jacket posted:

"In the shadow
Of the grey giant
Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path"

That could be a reference to a building, or perhaps the subway system? During the 80's the only trains that were grey were the ones on the A C E line. I don't ride those very often, but don't they get elevated at some point in Queens? That would cast a shadow. North of that would be the isle of B(ronx) It's hard to find on Google maps though.

St. Nicolas Russian Orthodox Church (right next to Central Park (which I kind of think her sash represents.))
"Take twice as many east steps as the hour
Or more
From the middle of one branch
Of the v"

St. Nicholas' is right next to Fifth avenue. Vth Avenue.

I also think you have to flip the picture horizontally in order to properly match her dress up with Manhattan.

The folks on the other wiki seem to think another verse goes with that picture, the one about "all the romances retold", which features the lines:

"Beside the long palm's shadow
Embedded in the sand
Waits the Fair remuneration
White house close at hand."

Which also makes me think of Queens. Flushing Meadows Corona Park, site of the 1939 Worlds Fair.

I'm free today and willing to go scouting around the city.

Verse 6 does indeed work well for that picture.

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

I first thought of the Metropolitan Opera, which looks like this:

Those windows are almost identical to the picture. And right across Columbus Avenue is Dante Park, with a statue of Dante Alighieri ("Seen here by eyes of old").

I'm having trouble with the rest, but that seems like a pretty good fit thus far.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
So, what do the multicolored blobs in the NYC picture represent? I can't imagine they are there for no reason. Flower gardens? I've tried some really simple image manipulation and nothing is popping out. Maybe a cheap pair of 3D glasses? I'm at a loss.

Another small detail I noticed was that the outline of the "window pane" is missing between the bird's wings.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Maguro posted:

I live in uptown New Orleans, so it wouldn't be too hard for me to go check out the spot. Also anyone interested in the New orleans cask go read my post on page 2. It solidifies that it's in Armstrong park in my mind.

It could just as easily be Jackson Square imo

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
There are also practical applications to consider. Have any other casks been buried on public land? Over here you show up with a shovel and start digging in a park and you'll spend the night in jail. Also consider New Orleans has an extremely high water table, so nothing is getting buried very deep. Moreover, consider Katrina has changed many previously notable landmarks, so try to consider what things may have looked like in the late 70s.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps
It's not been getting much play, but St. Augustine seems like the park is confirmed. It's marketed as an "archaelogist" park. I wonder if anyone's called the park and asked about digging for this treasure. Seems like it would be good PR for the park. :)

Verse 9
The first chapter
Written in water
Near men
With wind rose
Behind bending branches
And a green picket fence
At the base of a tall tree
You can still hear the honking
Shell, limestone, silver, salt
Stars move by day
Sails pass by night
Even in darkness
Like moonlight in teardrops
Over the tall grass
Years pass, rain falls.

From the tweleve.org forums, proof:

- SELOY (the village of Seloy) as is the word formed by the first letter of the last five lines of Verse 9
- Is surrounded by a green picket fence
- Has a sign at the the entrance that says The First Chapter
- Has a marquee for an exhibit that says "shell, limestone" and another "silver, salt"
- Has an actual Wind Rose, sign saying wind rose and subsequent exhibt.
- Has a statue that looks very much like the man on the horse (actually, more than one in the park).
- Has a sign in the park depicting the coastal outine of the park that matches the face in the Image 6 rock hill almost exactly.
- Has signs nearby matching the arrowhead outline of Lower Right blue hue section of the image.
- Has many lone palm trees about the property (ambiguous)

Here's the sign at the entrance:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010

Fistgrrl posted:

It's not been getting much play, but St. Augustine seems like the park is confirmed. It's marketed as an "archaelogist" park. I wonder if anyone's called the park and asked about digging for this treasure. Seems like it would be good PR for the park. :)

Verse 9
The first chapter
Written in water
Near men
With wind rose
Behind bending branches
And a green picket fence
At the base of a tall tree
You can still hear the honking
Shell, limestone, silver, salt
Stars move by day
Sails pass by night
Even in darkness
Like moonlight in teardrops
Over the tall grass
Years pass, rain falls.

From the tweleve.org forums, proof:

- SELOY (the village of Seloy) as is the word formed by the first letter of the last five lines of Verse 9
- Is surrounded by a green picket fence
- Has a sign at the the entrance that says The First Chapter
- Has a marquee for an exhibit that says "shell, limestone" and another "silver, salt"
- Has an actual Wind Rose, sign saying wind rose and subsequent exhibt.
- Has a statue that looks very much like the man on the horse (actually, more than one in the park).
- Has a sign in the park depicting the coastal outine of the park that matches the face in the Image 6 rock hill almost exactly.
- Has signs nearby matching the arrowhead outline of Lower Right blue hue section of the image.
- Has many lone palm trees about the property (ambiguous)

Here's the sign at the entrance:

I know I made a Dry Tortugas prediction, but a few of us are checking out the park next week. I wonder if any workers in the park have any information about it since the park has always been private property with a small entrance fee.

Way Strong Pimphand fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 2, 2013

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Roanoke

Sorry for the image dump here, but I just cut out a couple of things that looked odd in the Roanoke image. I don't know what any of it means (nothing to confirm my wright brothers landing area theory), but maybe something will catch the eye of one of the folks that lived there or are more familiar with the Elizabethan Gardens, or maybe some of this is on a statue or something?

the spoon at the bottom right was bugging me, so I cut it out and made it larger and marked it up (poorly).

It is hard to tell, but I think it is a lever coming out of the wall, not a spoon. the handle of the spoon might also be coming out of the face of a lion or dog or something? it could just be poor quality image and me imagining things too. The lever is being held from flipping up by a pin on the left side, right above the bowl of the spoon. if you look at the whole image, it looks like there is a string or line of some type coming from a hook on the arm of the armor down to the middle of the spoon.

The left side has something similar as well, with the line coming out of the arm into an anchor or something on the floor.

This is the piece hanging off of the right arm of the armor, where the key ring is hanging from. blown up, it looks like a fox head looking to the left.

the air hole patterns on face plate of the cow helmet (the inset in the above image) looks very similar to the layout of the the sunken garden.

this is an image on the left side of the chest plate. I thought it was a butterfly at first, but now I think it is a clover or maybe a tree? My wife (who now thinks I am nuts) suggested a scepter or an angel of some kind. The texture around it strikes me as odd as well; rocks or sand?

this is from the lower right side a little ways below the bell. it looks like writing of some kind. I'm guessing it is the artists signature, but I cant tell. The text is really faint, so it might be nothing, but it does look like it may be something.

just a dump of the symbols on the armor, the keys and the bells in the hope that someone would get hit by some inspiration on what they may represent.

also if anyone actually goes to the gardens, could you see if they have a map of the trails? maybe they match up to the cracks on the wall.

E: for some clarification

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 2, 2013

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Comstar posted:

New Orleans

We aren't the first forum to discover, this PDF. It goes into more detail about this site - new ideas are the "PRES" from preservation is french for Near. And it's near an arch. And there is an arch entrance to the park! And there are 3 trees right next to the arch "Not far away high posts are three". It's got to be buried in that park....maybe where the shadow(?) of something (the pole? ) is at 12 midday on midsummer's day.

I live near San Fran. I'd totally be down to dig this up. If what they found was so conclusive how come no one in that thread found the SF treasure already?

allta
Mar 28, 2011

InFlames235 posted:

I live near San Fran. I'd totally be down to dig this up. If what they found was so conclusive how come no one in that thread found the SF treasure already?

Well for one thing, there are weeks/months between posts on a lot of the other forums that have looked into this, in the first day of the thread it got more views than the entire sub-forum that's been talking about and searching for these casks for the better part of 10 years.

As for why it hasn't been found its likely that they haven't either had the chance to dig, or weren't able to narrow it down, or dug where they thought it was and it wasn't there.

On the quest4treasure forum I've found at least 4 examples of the latter. This isn't terrible news because it means we know where not to dig and in each instance they were all able to get permission to dig. It's just a matter of having enough evidence when you go to either park and rec's or the landscaping company tasked with maintaining the park.

Most of the summaries are written I'm just going through and double checking some things from earlier in the thread.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

InFlames235 posted:

The thread mentions there was a lot of brambles(?) at the place they thought it might be, and too many people around to do it without attracting attention.

Sham I Am posted:

Roanoke

the air hole patterns on face plate of the cow helmet (the inset in the above image) looks very similar to the layout of the the sunken garden.

this is an image on the left side of the chest plate. I thought it was a butterfly at first, but now I think it is a clover or maybe a tree? My wife (who now thinks I am nuts) suggested a scepter or an angel of some kind. The texture around it strikes me as odd as well; rocks or sand?

this is from the lower right side a little ways below the bell. it looks like writing of some kind. I'm guessing it is the artists signature, but I cant tell.

That sunken garden looks to be a match for the helmet air holes. Looks like a clover to me. The writing looks to be an upside down "Fd" or "Ed" and I thought the artist initial's were different?

I could see this being made into a Big Bang Theory episode- Shelden goes mad trying to link the clues together and at the end of the episode they all get arrested for trying to dig something up and looking like they are about to plant an IED.

That or a remake of it's A Mad Mad World but each team is from a different internet forum or community all racing each other to the treasure. The movie is sponsored by Google Maps, Street view and Search Engine.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 2, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

SAN FRANCISCO

Comstar posted:

Someone should check it out - particularly the view from that light pole - can you see hills in the distance?

It's San Francisco. Look anywhere and you'll see hills in the distance!

Problem here is that although the park stretches up the hill, it's surrounded by a lot of buildings and the view may not be so great.

I haven't any pictures of the view from the park, but here's a sample of the view from a rooftop one block away from the Russian Hill park:

InFlames, you free today to meet up in the city and go looking?

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 2, 2013

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

EJO has always got your back. Shouldn't you return the favor?

Comstar posted:

New Orleans

I was mulling other possibilities from your Coltrane connection. Maybe the run time of the song, 4:33, is the clock direction you need to face before the giant step. Or maybe it's 4ft away from the pole in a certain direction, and then buried 33in deep. Someone said earlier that they were all buried less than 3.5ft, which made me ponder in that direction.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Not really a match...but I think it's significant - it's looking towards those hills, which also place it as San Fransisco. Really need to get the view form where that photo was taken.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 2, 2013

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
This is a really cool thread, I'm following the Montreal one and can search around there if needed.

As for the actual digging, someone said they were buried in a plastic container (Tupperware like?) So you could goto the hardware store and get a wooden dowel, sharpen and end and if you can give it a coat of paint for glossiness and use that to prod before digging, a lot less obvious than just digging a 3 foot hole.

Otherwise when you actually dig you could just grab a white hardhat and a reflective vest and a clipboard and I bet you'll get no trouble.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a .pdf of the full book anywhere? There may be additional clues beyond the verses and pictures.

ruebennase
Oct 18, 2011
NYC

Alright, yet another attempt.
So far we completely ignored the Russian aspect of the whole thing.

I tried looking around Little Odessa and got nothing, except maybe the grey giant being the Boardwalk, the whirring noise in summer possibly referring to Coney Island and Jamaica Bay being sort of nearby.

Then I tried looking at orthodox churches. There is a Greek Orthodox one in Brooklyn which has blue domes and north of which is Wards Island, which apparently used to be called "Buchanan's Island" (seriously, is there any island in NYC that didn't have a name starting with a B at some point?), but other than that, that seems to be a dead end.

Then I came across St Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral in Manhattan. It looks pretty close to the Silhouette in the painting.
Especially when you stand at the corner of Madison Ave and E 97th Street.
From that corner you can see Mt Sinai hospital, which qualifies as a grey giant.
The shadow of Mt Sinai falls on Central Park, the arm that extends over the slender path could be a tree branch, the whirring noise in summer could be a lawnmower.
No clue on the Indies native, but he of Hard words could refer to the Arthut Brisbane memorial - a memorial to a newspaper editor.
How to proceed from there, I don't know.
Going east would mean leaving Central Park again, but you could instead follow East Drive. But I also don't see anything relating to a rhapsodic man or an Island to the North (there is an island in the Harlem Meer, but that's only been there since the 90s, I think).

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I have not seen the original quote, but some of the nerds on other forums have said flat out that it isn't Central Park, apparently confirmed by the author before his death.

I've got a copy of the book on the way, and am Really Really hoping that the Boston one wasn't around Copley. Copley was torn up and redone twice since the book was written. Maybe that's why I'm really pushing for it to be in Cambridge.

There are a few prime locations, and I'm willing to go check out the other forum's theory about Charlesgate Park, but that one seems a bit tenuous to me. Then again they all do I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Verse 6 does indeed work well for that picture.

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

I first thought of the Metropolitan Opera, which looks like this:

Those windows are almost identical to the picture. And right across Columbus Avenue is Dante Park, with a statue of Dante Alighieri ("Seen here by eyes of old").

I'm having trouble with the rest, but that seems like a pretty good fit thus far.

I have to admit, the shape of the image is identical to the shape of those windows. Those window patterns are also really similar to the patterns on top. Ill explore this later tonight when I'm home and see if anything pops out.

Could the isle of B be broadway?